Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Why is our deaths per million so much worse than many other countries? Did they manage to protect their nursing homes where we failed? What have Germany, Norway, Austria, Czechia, Poland done better than us?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Level 42 wrote: »
    How could the numbers be going up when weve all been stuck in since before paddy's day

Because the results coming through are people who caught it a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

easypazz wrote: »
    By what metric?

Are you saying daily deaths will be like 40, 50, 60 per day soon?

If countries with populations of 60 million are losing 6 or 7 hundred a day than I'd say those projections would be about right at the peak. If anyone still thinks this isn't serious than they're about to get a rude awakening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Despite the general positivity the testing is still a mess.

7-10 days to get a test according to Cillian and 'not sure' how long to get a result.

Whats the point of giving people a test nearly 2 weeks after they need it?
    No wonder there are so many negatives

Why do people need a test urgently?

If they have symptoms they are self isolating anyway.

If their condition deteriorates they go to hospital, test or no test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

That model from earlier that was predicting a total of 400 deaths - I'd suggest that if you plugged today's figures into it you'd get a dramatically different outcome.

We really need to ramp up testing to get any sort of idea where we are with this thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Right there we are a forward projection on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Seamai wrote: »
    I think the Gardai (and possibly the army if numbers are needed) need to adopt a much stronger approach. It's obvious that there is a portion of the population here for whom the softly softly approach clearly doesn't work.
    I live on the outskirts of Cork City and there are Gardai everywhere. Literally everywhere. They check the parks around here 4/5 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

There's a new leader of Labour in the UK? :eek:
    I'm so out of the loop

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jesus this journalist asking the tough questions
    Paul Cullen. He's a bit snarky betimes and he's always "demanding" answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

spookwoman wrote: »
    For ranking on tests we went from 37 to 35

Top 20 when you exclude the outliers of San Marino, Isle of Man, Faeroe Islands, Gibraltar, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

People need to be realistic.
    The damage is already done with regards to nursing homes.
    There is likely 100 or more in icu already who won't recover due to the combination of their age and health.
    Of course it's terrible and not acceptable but there is no way to reverse this now.

Once this is under control the numbers of deaths will fall off completely.
    It depends how honest the HSE are with us about whether they are getting that situation under control.

As has been pointed out many, likely most, of the nursing home deaths were never in ICU in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Despite the general positivity the testing is still a mess.

7-10 days to get a test according to Cillian and 'not sure' how long to get a result.

Whats the point of giving people a test nearly 2 weeks after they need it?
    No wonder there are so many negatives

It is a mess, but there is no one way to fix it - it's not as if any of the big Pharam companies in Ireland are coming in and saying we'll sort this out in a week.

So here's a freee and simple solution until more tests/labs are set up - eveyrone just stay at home...

I think one Irish coming is sourcing chemicals abroad - but even they said it's going to take a couple of weeks before they can get the number of tests out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

There should be a massive presence of gardai on the roads from today. People will be trying to travel "down the country" for the weekend and the fact that the weather is so nice isnt going to help. These people should be stopped and fines issued to them. It's not fair on the people who live in these communities and have been following the rules up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

easypazz wrote: »
    Why do people need a test urgently?

If they have symptoms they are self isolating anyway.

If their condition deteriorates they go to hospital, test or no test.

It just gives useless information for predictions and modelling if numbers given today reflect what was happening weeks ago.

Also large numbers probably had it and were recovered by the time they got a test.

It's just basically a pointless exercise as it stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

UrbanFret wrote: »
    If countries with populations of 60 million are losing 6 or 7 hundred a day than I'd say those projections would be about right at the peak. If anyone still thinks this isn't serious than they're about to get a rude awakening.

How do you know we haven't beaten this and 36 could be one of the worst days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Because the results coming through are people who caught it a month ago.

Ah right Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Be right back

I heard of someone who felt unwell yesterday and was swabbed today. Hopefully it will be ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

and everyone switches over...

• Advertisement

Colm Henry is very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    There should be a massive presence of gardai on the roads from today. People will be trying to travel "down the country" for the weekend and the fact that the weather is so nice isnt going to help. These people should be stopped and fines issued to them. It's not fair on the people who live in these communities and have been following the rules up to now.

Imo what should be done (as it will stop people), woudl be to take the car off anyone found to be going down the country and pay heafty fine.

I can't think of any good reason why a family/couple would be travelling from Dublin to say Galway this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

look irish is great and all but we do we really need a question or two every day in a language most people don't speak with no translation at a time like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Ace2007 wrote: »
    if 99% of Ireland's population stayed indoor, it still leave around 50,000 people ingonring the rules, that's a huge number....

Alot of factories are operating as normal. In ours most people are trying to social distance as much as possible but a few just don't seem to care, and thereby putting the rest of us under greater risk. It's probably a similar story in factories around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Feck. A college friend of mine who is a doctor in England has covid-19. She’s mid-30s. Hopefully she’ll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Seamai wrote: »
    I think the Gardai (and possibly the army if numbers are needed) need to adopt a much stronger approach. It's obvious that there is a portion of the population here for whom the softly softly approach clearly doesn't work.
    How?

They don't have the legal powers to, and will not have them unless Simon Harris signs Ministerial Orders, FG have chicken out on that, presumably for political reasons.

Powers in place by tomorrow may dissuade people from making plans based on the deluded 'easing' meme circulating on social media to a far greater extent than a late announcement will.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I heard of someone who felt unwell yesterday and was swabbed today. Hopefully it will be ok..

Yes there appear to be little to no delays in getting stabbed it's the laboratory work which is causing delays

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Colm Henry is very impressive.
    Both himself and the CMO are well used to this, De Gascun is probably happier in a lab but can hold his own well enough in this environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

US death toll getting scary high, almost 1400 deaths already today and will be updated at least 5 or 6 more times by the end of today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I live on the outskirts of Cork City and there are Gardai everywhere. Literally everywhere. They check the parks around here 4/5 times a day.

I'm glad to hear that, I'm on the outskirts of Cork city myself, (I hope you're not my cranky neighbour who cuts his grass at 6.30am ! 😜), I do get out for a short walk but as it's semi rural and not a very busy area, I've not seen too many people or Gardaí, though I did hear of a neighbour who was stopped and questioned while leaving a local cemetery the other night after visiting a family grave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement