Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    There should be a massive presence of gardai on the roads from today. People will be trying to travel "down the country" for the weekend and the fact that the weather is so nice isnt going to help. These people should be stopped and fines issued to them. It's not fair on the people who live in these communities and have been following the rules up to now.

Are lots of people really going to do this? Travel for hours down the country ?
    I really can't get my head around this mentality.

I would much rather be down home where we own a second home (previously my Grandparents') beside my elderly Mum in a lovely peaceful rural location.
    But we won't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I live on the outskirts of Cork City and there are Gardai everywhere. Literally everywhere. They check the parks around here 4/5 times a day.

I'm also in Cork City and have noticed the huge uptick in police presence but they're not doing anything in the parks. The tramore valley park greenaway is a mess, families of 5 to 7 with scooters, bikes and dogs stopping right in front of the entrance creating backlogs of people entering and leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear that, I'm on the outskirts of Cork city myself, (I hope you're not my cranky neighbour who cuts his grass at 6.30am ! ��), I do get out for a short walk but as it's semi rural and not a very busy area, I've not seen too many people or Gardaí, though I did hear of a neighbour who was stopped and questioned while leaving a local cemetery the other night after visiting a family grave.
    I know in Rochestown and Passage Gardai are constantly around because of both Old Court in Rochestown and the railway line in Passage that are usually busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

This weekend

Lock park gates and get the tow trucks out this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Of the new cases reported today, when were the tests taken? A week ago? 10 days ago?

Is there any indication the restrictions we are living with is filtering in now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

signostic wrote: »
    New Zealand seems to be the model for combating the virus.
    Prime Minister Jacinda Arden seems to have made the right approach.

1106 cases and only 1 death

Washington Post

Probably just lack of testing though too I would add.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

bekker wrote: »
    How?

They don't have the legal powers to, and will not have them unless Simon Harris signs Ministerial Orders, FG have chicken out on that, presumably for political reasons.

Powers in place by tomorrow may dissuade people from making plans based on the deluded 'easing' meme circulating on social media to a far greater extent than a late announcement will.

Its mad that they wouldn't put these laws in place for the moment. There really is no other way to stop people travelling if they want to. They feel they are entitled to. I live in an area where we have many visitors over the summer. From now until October and I seen today that the guards are closing alot of the beach carparks and going to tow away cars that they find there. Which is great I think but if they could impound cars they found on their way it would prevent all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How?

They don't have the legal powers to, and will not have them unless Simon Harris signs Ministerial Orders, FG have chicken out on that, presumably for political reasons.

Powers in place by tomorrow may dissuade people from making plans based on the deluded 'easing' meme circulating on social media to a far greater extent than a late announcement will.

He needs to sign it - no dissuasion at the moment

Every cretin that takes the family down the country could be responsible for hundreds of cases and unknown deaths
    But for them its all about me, me, me

Parks can stay open as much as they want, as long as people maintain social distancing. If that means a family of 5 keeping 3/4 metres from another family of 5 then by rule that's technically okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

I live on the outskirts of Cork City and there are Gardai everywhere. Literally everywhere. They check the parks around here 4/5 times a day.

Live in Cork city haven't seen any

Level 42 wrote: »
    Passage, Rochestown and Douglas are constantly being checked by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

fritzelly wrote: »

Every cretin that takes the family down the country could be responsible for hundreds of cases and unknown deaths

Agree ,parks like the Phoenix Park also should be closed this weekend ,Tony Holohan refusing to come out and just say these idiots who ignore the restrictions are risking costing healthcare and other's lives .

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Passage, Rochestown and Douglas are constantly being checked by the Gardai.

Ya fair enough I haven't seen any though that's all in saying just outside the city center

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Parks can stay open as much as they want, as long as people maintain social distancing. If that means a family of 5 keeping 3/4 metres from another family of 5 then by rule that's technically okay.

Presuming the family of 5 live within 2km of the park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Re this coming weekend and indeed right now, for example the Phoenix Park is open to traffic on the main artery from Parkgate to Castleknock.
    Nothing on the website about restricted parking either, or if the side roads are open or closed off. Foot traffic open to all.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic amenity, and is huge, but I wonder how packed it will be in the coming days with the nice weather and all.

And it’s within the 2km limit of MANY people. It’s apartment land. The restrictions need to be stricter in Dublin.

I thought parks were closed from Leo's last announcement.

If they are not closed, it would depend on the location. You could visit if it's within 2km of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

36 deaths is a very high number, but I'd say thew numbers will probably get higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

spookwoman wrote: »

Narooma Ltd taking the HSE to court and refusing to release ventilators in the middle of a very dangerous pandemic strikes me as very bad form indeed.

They have enough to be doing without this distraction !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

easypazz wrote: »
    How do you know we haven't beaten this and 36 could be one of the worst days.
    If 36 is the most we lose in a day Ill be amazed. To answer your question I don't know but then again neither do you. ;)

• Advertisement

There was a party on the Bondi beach before it closed. The party was why the Australian government closed the beach. About a week or 10/12 days later, there were cases of the virus and they were traced back to the beach party.

It's so important to continue following the restrictions of avoiding large crowds and gatherings even in open spaces like parks and beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Why the 'weekend factor' is affecting coronavirus reporting figures in Europehttps://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-07/why-the-weekend-factor-is-affecting-coronavirus-reporting-figures-in-europe/
    In short, there seems to be a lag over the weekend as the figures on deaths and hospitalisations work their way through the system, such that reporting on Monday is artificially low, while on Tuesday the figures seem high as they catch up with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Do people still think the peak was April 4th as reported today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

Only old people, that makes it grand.

I didn't hear anyone say it was grand.

It's a matter of factual context. Surely it 's assumed that no one is indifferent to the human tragedies behind each death. There's no need to be emoting -overtly or by implication - about every reference to a death when such reference is demanded by the nature of what's being discussed -namely statistical comparisons , trends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Without the necessary powers for Gardaí they won't be that effective, determined 'breakers' will just work their way around them.

The extra powers for the Gardaí were passed by the Oireachtas, and signed by the President on 20th March.
    That's over two weeks ago, why have they still not been put into effect by Minister Harris?

This caretaker government is sitting on it's hands.

Leo has made it clear that he doesn't expect to put these measures into effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

if you simply look at deaths per 1 million, we have 43. and ranked 15th here. not a great stat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Level 42 wrote: »

You need to go outside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Glenomra wrote: »
    Sweden remains an enigma. Limited restrictions and virus under as much control as most countries with tight lockdown. Looks like they got it right.

Lies like this are not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

fritzelly wrote: »

On thing the Gardáí can do practically without the extra powers is to block main and secondary roads with checkpoints

Then take so long questioning each car's inhabitants individually so that you get large tailbacks and hopefully people give up and go home.

Even then people can be incredibly stubborn, and you might end up overstretching the Gardaí with a large number of public order offences.

That mé féin female ex-journalist is not the only bloody-minded self-righteous selfish assertive idiot around.

Area restriction orders, enforced by Gardaí supported by Army presence should dissuade all but the most recalcitrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

easypazz wrote: »
    How do you know we haven't beaten this and 36 could be one of the worst days.

just looking at a graph, we could have lower numbers than today for the next 4 or 5 days, or a week, and then another spike... or tomorrows numbers could be higher again...

b4f6aba245494a5af4c87527c33594b90cc12409.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement