Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

No it's the death rate that's important, it's the only reliable stat along with numbers in hospital

The numbers infected is impossible to say

Deaths are measured diffently which is a problem. For example UK deaths today only related to hospital deaths. Ours relate to positive tests even if it is not the cause of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

2/3rds of cases are coming from community spread. Our cfr is nearly 4%. Given the measures we've had in place for nearly a month I don't share the optimism of some on here.

Our daily cases seem to be following a fairly stable trajectory which would indicate its more down to testing parameters than mitigation.

Our deaths are anything but steady unfortunately.

I might be wrong, but I think the community acquired infection percentages Tony Holohan reports are for total cases so far, not for the daily updates?
    It must take a few days to try to dentify the possible sources, so I assume they are not holding back reporting a case waiting for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Yes they said the German tests were now in the numbers

So only approx 895 test per day done by HSE labs, that is really bad, they have been saying that they are at 1500 a day for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I'd be in the camp that the HSE should pay per the contract to be honest. Much like the restrictions, the rules are the rules.

I'm sure they will pay, it's not like the HSE is going to do a runner !

I'm sure Narooma Ltd, Swords could have waited until the Pandemic was over before threatening to withhold lifesaving ventilators .

This is a needless distraction in the middle of a dangerous pandemic, when the HSE is very busy trying to protect the health of the nation.

Frankly, I think it is scandalous behavior by the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Paul Cullen/The Irish Times has just deleted the big story today of 'Ireland has passed its peak of Covid-19 infections' after today's 36 deaths plainly debunked it.

• Advertisement

INMO Trolley Watch figures for April 7th 2020

17 beds short in Irish Hospitals today, mainly in Limerick and Killkenny.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Paul Cullen/The Irish Times has just deleted the big story today of 'Ireland has passed its peak of Covid-19 infections' after today's 36 deaths plainly debunked it.

Still there: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-ireland-s-infection-peak-has-passed-but-death-toll-could-hit-400-by-may-report-says-1.4223259

No doubt it’s been edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Narooma Ltd taking the HSE to court and refusing to release ventilators in the middle of a very dangerous pandemic strikes me as very bad form indeed.

They have enough to be doing without this distraction !

The HSE know all about “very bad form”. Just ask Vicky Phelan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

My partner’s boss has been up and down between her “holiday” home in Wexford and her place in Ranelagh. Also fleeces the state at a crazy rate for running a crappy quango. Joke of a person tbh

Ironically she’d be the first person to call the cops on sunbathers properly socially distancing or kids trying to see their friends.

Sooooooooo, your wife works for a crappy quango that fleeces the State ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they just put the briefing on top of it, the previous story is still there below new text https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-republic-sees-record-highest-daily-figure-for-new-deaths-at-36-1.4223043 really should be a separate article

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've been going for a daily walk within 2kms of my home since before the stricter restrictions came in and in fairness to people they were very small and people were keeping good social distancing but last night was worrying. I think people are starting to become complacent. There was far too many people out and maybe it was the good weather but we need to only go out when essential and if we do go out for exercise we need to not all go at the same time.
    how do we figure out when we should go out?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Are we are including the 6000 German tests in that number?

The German lab results have been included since last Friday and initially at least were clearing a backlog of older tests which had not been analysed.

Tests are counted on the day they are done not on the day results come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

No it's the death rate that's important, it's the only reliable stat along with numbers in hospital

The numbers infected is impossible to say
    the death rate is of little use in stopping the Virus. Tragic as it is its only for shock value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Today's numbers both here and worldwide are pretty deflating tbh.

Fvuk this virus

when did the people that died yesterday get sick (roughly)?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wombatman wrote: »
    Do people still think the peak was April 4th as reported today?
    They weren't very kind to that report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That can still be true. New infections stabilising or even declining but deaths rising for a while as people succumb after a few weeks of symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

It still says 'peak deaths passed on April 6th...' when peak deaths were in fact today. He should just delete it or rewrite the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

UrbanFret wrote: »
    the death rate is of little use in stopping the Virus. Tragic as it is its only for shock value.
    It's a more reliable metric for judging progress than cases - though there is understandably a lag.

Is the arcgis site with the Irish stats down? Anywhere else have the same data?

https://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a192b58ba6904c1494f651706c223520

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Video on WhatsApp of a critical care doctor in New York. He thinks they’re treating patients incorrectly.

How do I share a WhatsApp video?

• Advertisement

Why though?
    The deaths aren't going to stop until the spread has been halted.
    The night is darkest just before the dawn and all that.

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 7 April 2020 @ 08:00 hrs.

novel-coronavirus-COVID-19-geographical-distribution-EU-UK-2020-04-07.png?itok=5cRwjH6P

Daily cases in Europe seem to be firmly on the way down today.

Good news for once.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

In the week starting the 24 March the HSE labs managed to test 12,221
    I the week starting the 31 March the HSE labs manged to test 6,213.

The HSE labs capacity to test have been halved.Without the German figures it would be a complete and utter disaster.Even with the 6000 German tests we have only managed to test only 50 more this week over last week.

bekker wrote: »
    Without the necessary powers for Gardaí they won't be that effective, determined 'breakers' will just work their way around them.

The extra powers for the Gardaí were passed by the Oireachtas, and signed by the President on 20th March.
    That's over two weeks ago, why have they still not been put into effect by Minister Harris?

This caretaker government is sitting on it's hands.

No, they are not taking that step until they absolutely need to. Cooperation of the public has by and large been excellent. By taking a harder approach we risk losing some goodwill

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

I'm sure they will pay, it's not like the HSE is going to do a runner !

I'm sure Narooma Ltd, Swords could have waited until the Pandemic was over before threatening to withhold lifesaving ventilators .

This is a needless distraction in the middle of a dangerous pandemic, when the HSE is very busy trying to protect the health of the nation.

Frankly, I think it is scandalous behavior by the company.

Its not that I don't see your point, I read the article, and I can see why the company is worried. In these extenuating circumstances, nothing would surprise me. Maybe not a runner by the HSE, but I could foresee some other way of the HSE "avoiding the obligations of the contract", especially given the current situation. The company needs to protect it millions of Euro investment....

What happens when the HSE approaches another private company for something else?

They made a deal, its up to their legal/finance department to fulfill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Video on WhatsApp of a critical care doctor in New York. He thinks they’re treating patients incorrectly.

How do I share a WhatsApp video?

He's on YouTube also was posted the other day

Ficheall wrote: »
    It's a more reliable metric for judging progress than cases - though there is understandably a lag.

Is the arcgis site with the Irish stats down? Anywhere else have the same data?

https://geohive.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a192b58ba6904c1494f651706c223520

The people who died today would have been infected 2-3 weeks ago. The lockdown hadn't even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

In the week starting the 24 March the HSE labs managed to test 12,221
    I the week starting the 31 March the HSE labs manged to test 6,213.

The HSE labs capacity to test have been halved.Without the German figures it would be a complete and utter disaster.Even with the 6000 German tests we have only managed to test only 50 more this week over last week.

You are totally incorrect as I explained in post #4375

The German lab results have been included since last Friday and initially at least were clearing a backlog of older tests which had not been analysed.

Tests are counted on the day they are done not on the day results come back.

They should hand over all the testing to the Germans if they have the capacity, the HSE dont seem to be able to manage to scale up testing here.
    They have failed to deliver on any of the statements they have made about testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

when did the people that died yesterday get sick (roughly)?

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-18-20-intl-hnk/h_41d938c1421c177edcf1062a9cc9155a
    8 days from first symptoms to death on average. And average incubation period of 5 days. So most of the people who died today were probably infected with the virus around the 25th of March

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement