Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Daily cases in Europe seem to be firmly on the way down today.
    Great, unless the number of tests being carried out is decreasing.. is that info available anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 7 April 2020 @ 08:00 hrs.

novel-coronavirus-COVID-19-geographical-distribution-EU-UK-2020-04-07.png?itok=5cRwjH6P

Daily cases in Europe seem to be firmly on the way down today.

Good news for once.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

That graph is always a step behind. Increased deaths in the UK and France mean we are as we were. Italy and Spain declining in cases but two big countries on the way up.

Level 42 wrote: »
    How could the numbers be going up when weve all been stuck in since before paddy's day

Passed on in the home. If you imagine each person who had the virus is now confined to a circle of only a handful of people. With each of those it may take up to 14 days to show up. Them people may also have 1or 2 additional contacts who can subsequently get infected. In this scenario you would see daily increases steadily fall over the course of about 3 or 4 weeks, before decline over the subsequent weeks. Which is pretty much what we have seen over the past 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭Christy42

Big increase in deaths across the board today.

Weekend reporting causing issues? 1k over and above yesterday and I think a few places like the US and Spain have more updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You are totally incorrect as I explained in post #4375

Have you a link to where the HSE say that. Where are my numbers incorrect?
    All my numbers are based on HSE except the 6000 which is from an RTE report. If I am wrong how many tests have the HSE labs done this week?
    And is the German number included in that figure? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭spookwoman

UrbanFret wrote: »
    The people who died today would have been infected 2-3 weeks ago. The lockdown hadn't even started.

Can't be sure, we have heard here from relatives how quickly some go after being infected, can be 2 or 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

BanditLuke wrote: »
    He's on YouTube also was posted the other day

Lol oh right sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Fact is we may have seen the worst of this. 3rd day new cases are down.

Deaths are the lagging indicator so will be last to come down.

Unfortunately even if we had no new cases for a week, some people would be saying it's about to get worse etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

The people who died today are a reflection of those who got sick when we were reporting 150 cases a day. It doesn't bode well for a fortnight's time when we'll have deaths from when we're averaging 350 cases a day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The calls for further lockdown are just daft. There's generally at least a 3 week lag between infection and death. People who died today likely got infected around Patrick's Day, when the pubs were just closed. There is ZERO benefit from kneejerk reactions like that.

Did I hear right that 22 of the 210 deaths have come from the ICU? There must be a large, large proportion of the deaths coming from nursing homes if that's the case.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    if 99% of Ireland's population stayed indoor, it still leave around 50,000 people ingonring the rules, that's a huge number....

But 99% of opportunities for infection are gone resulting in a virus under control

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Number updated to match today's report
    do people still want updated charts or are they too much data?

No Change in number
    508683.PNG

Slow Change
    508683.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    508685.PNG

interesting visualization of covid19
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Its not that I don't see your point, I read the article, and I can see why the company is worried. In these extenuating circumstances, nothing would surprise me. Maybe not a runner by the HSE, but I could foresee some other way of the HSE "avoiding the obligations of the contract", especially given the current situation. The company needs to protect it millions of Euro investment....

What happens when the HSE approaches another private company for something else?

They made a deal, its up to their legal/finance department to fulfill it.

If I was in charge I would hit them with whatever the appropriate legal equivalent is of a compulsory purchase order, and simply take the ventilators needed.

I wonder how people who work there would feel if someone dear to them was triaged out of ICU for the lack of a ventilator.

Maybe it's just as well I am not in charge. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Video on WhatsApp of a critical care doctor in New York. He thinks they’re treating patients incorrectly.

How do I share a WhatsApp video?

A WhatsApp group video? The app that's home to more misinformation on this than anything else?

No need to share. We're grand, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They should hand over all the testing to the Germans if they have the capacity, the HSE dont seem to be able to manage to scale up testing here.
    They have failed to deliver on any of the statements they have made about testing.
    They are really building a large testing system from scratch. As Henry pointed out they'd normally take months to get to this point. In project terms this is almost like speccing on the fly! Add in the setback of the supply issues and the situation becomes clear. It is coming, it's just the timeline have been nudged a little further into the future. Give them a few more weeks and then judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The German lab results have been included since last Friday and initially at least were clearing a backlog of older tests which had not been analysed.

Tests are counted on the day they are done not on the day results come back.
    they should be on the day they are requested, we should be going back over stats and altering and checking day of death etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

If I was in charge I would hit them with whatever the appropriate legal equivalent is of a compulsory purchase order, and simply take the ventilators needed.

I wonder how people who work there would feel if someone dear to them was triaged out of ICU for the lack of a ventilator.

Maybe it's just as well I am not in charge. ;)
    Yes, just as well. This is the fault of the HSE. They should just pay the bill. You realise in a compulsory purchase order money changes hands. The company would be happy with that I am sure. What you are implying should happen is stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

spookwoman wrote: »
    Can't be sure, we have heard here from relatives how quickly some go after being infected, can be 2 or 3 days.

You can be pretty sure, the average number of days until death is 8. For every person who dies in 2-3 days there are others who die after 12-14

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Video on WhatsApp of a critical care doctor in New York. He thinks they’re treating patients incorrectly.

It was posted already a couple of days ago - it's the guy that's comparing this to altitude sickness, rather than pneumonia, right? Actually, two of his videos were posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

marno21 wrote: »
    The calls for further lockdown are just daft. There's generally at least a 3 week lag between infection and death. People who died today likely got infected around Patrick's Day, when the pubs were just closed. There is ZERO benefit from kneejerk reactions like that.

Did I hear right that 22 of the 210 deaths have come from the ICU? There must be a large, large proportion of the deaths coming from nursing homes if that's the case.

And hospital cases not in ICU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

The Brits are planning a #ClapForBoris campaign for tonight 8pm. Soooo many one liners I could be making about that one... Yeah. Let's just wait for the guy get rid of Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

joe_99 wrote: »
    Deaths are measured diffently which is a problem. For example UK deaths today only related to hospital deaths. Ours relate to positive tests even if it is not the cause of death.

Arent testing as many

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Has the restrictions been lessened today? A lot more people were out today in the tourism site I work in.

Feck. A college friend of mine who is a doctor in England has covid-19. She’s mid-30s. Hopefully she’ll be okay.

Someone who works in my company fell 3 weeks ago and was admitted to hospital with pneumonia. Tests confirmed covid19. They were back at work Monday. Remember, for the vast majority of people this is not a death sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭deaglan1

Today's Stats for Deaths Per One Million Population - make of it what you will.
    Deaths-per-1-M-population.png

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Have you a link to where the HSE say that. Where are my numbers incorrect?
    All my numbers are based on HSE except the 6000 which is from an RTE report. If I am wrong how many tests have the HSE labs done this week? Thanks.

Paul Reid said it on Sunday and the CMO yesterday.

The way it works is I get tested today. This is included in the figure for tests completed today.

The day the result comes back (say April 14) if positive it will be included in the new cases figure on that day.

The daily new cases figure is quite simply the number of positive lab results received on that date and could be from tests completed any day in approximately previous 14 days.

All along each day you had more tests being completed than results coming through.

Now each day you have more results coming through than tests completed as the backlog is cleared by the German lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Coyote wrote: »
    Number updated to match today's report
    do people still want updated charts or are they too much data?

I appreciate the graphs, but would love a 2/3 liner explaining the upshot of the change since previous day if that was possible. A dummies guide so to speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Any news on the antibody tests? I'd love to know if I had it already or not so I can be of service to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In any industry, there will always be the odd disagreeing voice. Even in a specialized industry like medical there will always be the odd wrong view, the odd disagreeing voice. We just need to look less at others and focus on the core groups of experts that are at the top of their game and the top level of expertise. They are there for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Brits are planning a #ClapForBoris campaign for tonight 8pm. Soooo many one liners I could be making about that one... Yeah. Let's just wait for the guy get rid of Covid-19.

All 60 million of them or just forty people on Twitter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement