Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I wait till Im home and clean before I pick my nose ;)

Aahhh, good old nose picking. They were more innocent carefree times, Funster....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

rebeve wrote: »
    35% is not a tiny number , and the rest of it can be used in some capacity is a bit vague .

They bought a pig in a poke .

It's not 35%

65% in the first order is suitable for use with covid patients, 15% can be held in reserve and or use in settings where there isnt a covid patient. 20% in the first batch not suitable and being address. It's only the first batch, given the quick turn around time I think it's only fair that they be given the time to get the order changed for the 2nd batch. Like I've said previously I've family working in dublin hosptials and was concerned when I heard the PPE news but speaking to them they seem happy enough and are in a much better place than last week.

To even get the amount they've got usually takes months it's been done in days. Let's see what comes in during the 2nd batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Looney1 wrote: »
    142 in icu

Just to clarify is that the cumulative number or the current total?

Nox001, might know the answer to that one:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

There have been some comments here about Aer Lingus operating 300 flights to and from China to collect the PPE equipment. I don`t believe there are anywhere near that many but am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

My brother has just recovered from what we guess was Covid19. He had all the symptoms over the last 2 weeks. Fever, shortness of breath and dry cough. He wasn't tested as he didn't require Hospitalization but by all accounts it was a serious illness for him which he has described as his worst he has so far experienced.

He was self isolating in His home with His wife and Two young Children. From chatting 2 him they haven't shown any symptoms but must have being exposed to it and caught it, My query if anybody here could have the knowledge to answer would be how prevalent are people who are ASymptomatic with this, or is it something we might not know for a while.

For anybody wondering he is based in a commuter town above London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The management and staff of nursing homes have a lot to answer for.

They brought the virus in to residents and let it spread like wildfire.

Given most nursing home residents are already in single rooms, the outbreak there is a national scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Not to worry i'll tell my wife when she comes in later that sh1t happens. I'm sure she'll appreciate it after her 12hr shift with faulty gear sent from the nation that is responsible for putting her life at risk in the first place.
    Give it up with the drama , PPE is impossible to secure, as I mentioned before I work in pharma and we are finding it tough . Your wife is not being asked to use anything that is not approved just something she may not be use to . In fact she has less chance of contracting it using the heavier stuff. Some of my friends are nurses and their only issue is the stuff is heavy and you over heat but that is what generally will happen with a chemical suit rather than normal garb .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gynoid wrote: »
    Aahhh, good old nose picking. They were more innocent carefree times, Funster....

Its the small pleasures that one misses the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Gynoid wrote: »
    While I generally agree with your outline of supermarket pandemic etiquette, I disagree with this. Your chances in the supermarket are the same as your chances in any enclosed space. There is not something about the supermarkets that makes them safer than an open plan office or factory or any building, when there is what appears to be a highly transmissable virus going around. Ones chances of catching something there are not "really really slim" unless one takes very good precautions.
    That is just my opinion of course, it will take future research to prove or disprove it. For now I think it better if all people entered all enclosed spaces with the idea that they all are somewhat risky. If not for us, then for others with whom we might interact there and elsewhere. Until we find out more.

I agree with this. Just yesterday somebody posted about a friends brother in ICU with the Covid-19. The post said before he got sick there was someone in his office who came into work sick and the boss did nothing.

Some people just don't care about this new infectious disease and are not taking it seriously and it's impossible to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

It's not 35%

65% in the first order is suitable for use with covid patients, 15% can be held in reserve and or use in settings where there isnt a covid patient. 20% in the first batch not suitable and being address. It's only the first batch, given the quick turn around time I think it's only fair that they be given the time to get the order changed for the 2nd batch. Like I've said previously I've family working in dublin hosptials and was concerned when I heard the PPE news but speaking to them they seem happy enough and are in a much better place than last week.

To even get the amount they've got usually takes months it's been done in days. Let's see what comes in during the 2nd batch.

I have family in Cork Hospitals and they don`t share your optimism .We are swamped with spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭threeball

Good news doesn’t sell. Irish independent on about new measures but live to know what they are save for added resources to nursing homes.

Theres a cohort of people, many on exhibit here, who complain about everything. We should be cherrypicking the best practices and equipment from all round the world and have it magically appear here. They would complain if we had less than 10 dead and argue it should and could be less. They're just miserable and pessimistic about pretty much everything they write or post about. And then theres a group who give love bashing the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

There have been some comments here about Aer Lingus operating 300 flights to and from China to collect the PPE equipment. I don`t believe there are anywhere near that many but am open to correction.
    Only 10 flights so far from 300 expected, going to be teething problems at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Current COVID-19 patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I don't know about the 300 figure, but the was told by someone involved in the flights that they were ramping up to 5/6 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The HSE has been a basket case since the day it was set up , its not suddenly going to change overnight .The fiasco with the testing and the ppe is normal

for the HSE .

The management of the HSE may leave a lot to be desired but the staff isn't and wasn't ever a basket case. No the fiasco with the PPE isn't normal.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't know about the 300 figure, but the was told by someone involved in the flights that they were ramping up to 5/6 a day.
    Paul Reid mentioned that number of flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

The HSE has been a basket case since the day it was set up , its not suddenly going to change overnight .The fiasco with the testing and the ppe is normal

for the HSE .

I can't see how they could do much better.

The whole world is screaming for testing equipment, PPE and ventilators in a very volatile market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

142 in icu with covid
    139 in ocu with other causes
    109 spare beds

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

It seems that Denmark seems to think the same as myself and a lot of other people were talking about last week, which was that the effects from lockdown will kill more than the virus.

"Denmark is expected this weekend to reveal plans to relax its coronavirus lockdown, becoming the first country outside Asia to do so, reasoning that the risks of a deep recession may now be more dangerous for Danish society than a second outbreak."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/denmark-prepares-ease-coronavirus-restrictions-200403162421642.html

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

beerguts wrote: »
    My brother has just recovered from what we guess was Covid19. He had all the symptoms over the last 2 weeks. Fever, shortness of breath and dry cough. He wasn't tested as he didn't require Hospitalization but by all accounts it was a serious illness for him which he has described as his worst he has so far experienced.

He was self isolating in His home with His wife and Two young Children. From chatting 2 him they haven't shown any symptoms but must have being exposed to it and caught it, My query if anybody here could have the knowledge to answer would be how prevalent are people who are ASymptomatic with this, or is it something we might not know for a while.

Completely asymptomatic had been taken to be~10%, but a recent study from Iceland which tested a statistically significant number of the population found 50% of those sampled were asymptomatic.

• Advertisement

Don't be ridiculous. It's not some it's 30% according to various reports. Even if it was 3% being unsuitable it's outrageous.

But yeah tell the front line heros sh1t happens :rolleyes:

Global pandemic, global massive increase in demand, hse procurement competing with every other country in the globe, probably said we will take everything you can get your hands on, and that was the right thing to do. Some of the issues with what came from China appear to be things not CE marked, or no English dfu’s. In this situation you take what you can get your hands on, and the fact that 90% is usable is great. We can now go back to the suppliers and tell them exactly what to send and what now to send. In normal procurement processes it would usually take months to qualify a new supplier for PPE. We have turned it around in a couple of weeks

Not to worry i'll tell my wife when she comes in later that sh1t happens. I'm sure she'll appreciate it after her 12hr shift with faulty gear sent from the nation that is responsible for putting her life at risk in the first place.

I'm sure she will appreciate it, you can explain it to her that people who work in supply chains would consider it quite normal for some aspects not to be 100% in the early stages of a panic job like this, and that as each batch arrives the items received will be more in line with her requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

50% asymptomatic in some studies. Higher in others.

In one group of Irish skiers 18 people were tested when they returned , 8 had the virus none of them had symptoms.

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    It seems that Denmark seems to think the same as myself and a lot of other people were talking about last week, which was that the effects from lockdown will kill more than the virus.

"Denmark is expected this weekend to reveal plans to relax its coronavirus lockdown, becoming the first country outside Asia to do so, reasoning that the risks of a deep recession may now be more dangerous for Danish society than a second outbreak."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/denmark-prepares-ease-coronavirus-restrictions-200403162421642.html
    The limited period has been mentioned here from the outset, the CMO and Harris have both made reference to it on a number of occasions. We're likely to be a few weeks off that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

There are figures out of Iceland, who are doing a lot of testing that in some test samples 50% of people who tested positive were asymptomatic.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europe/iceland-testing-coronavirus-intl/index.html

Global pandemic, global massive increase in demand, hse procurement competing with every other country in the globe, probably said we will take everything you can get your hands on, and that was the right thing to do. Some of the issues with what came from China appear to be things not CE marked, or no English dfu’s. In this situation you take what you can get your hands on, and the fact that 90% is usable is great. We can now go back to the suppliers and tell them exactly what to send and what now to send. In normal procurement processes it would usually take months to qualify a new supplier for PPE. We have turned it around in a couple of weeks

That has been explained to him many times now but he still doesn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

is_that_so wrote: »
    The limited period has been mentioned here from the outset, the CMO and Harris have both made reference to it on a number of occasions. We're likely to be a few weeks off that yet.

Some people on here seem to think the lockdown we have right now will still exist in September and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Phoebas wrote: »
    There are figures out of Iceland, who are doing a lot of testing that in some test samples 50% of people who tested positive were asymptomatic.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europe/iceland-testing-coronavirus-intl/index.html

Asymptomatic or pre symptomatic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I would trust your instincts on that particular fact.

Do Aer Lingus even have 300 planes? ( I genuinely don't know btw).

Some of the tripe I read I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The one I really cannot understand is why passenger planes are being used to transport medical supplies? Surely a cargo plane is the job here? Just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hadn't it also been said that your chance of contracting coronavirus in supermarkets was relatively low i.e in absence of being sneezed or coughed on, and taking reasonable precautions washing hands etc. and keeping your distance in general, you were not taking big risks?

I have to admit to being a little confused on the issue of supermarkets, because there are thousands of staff there all day and I haven't heard them getting infected in large numbers, if they have one would imaging we would hearing about it?

So I would like thoughts on how risky, or where the main risks are, from doing the weekly shop. Note, I am not saying there aren't risks, I am asking in terms of the significance of the risk. Thanks.

anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement