Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,408 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Today's Stats for Deaths Per One Million Population - make of it what you will.
    Deaths-per-1-M-population.png

Not sure much can be read into ‘deaths per million’ really. As has been mentioned, a number of countries don’t count deaths occurring outside of a hospital environment. This skews figures massively, and if Ireland did the same, our figures would look a lot better.
    Add to that the fact that a number of the African countries that are reporting cases, have only tested circa 5k people, so it’s likely rampant in places in Africa, but again not reported. I also don’t for a second believe that India’s figures are at a similar level to ours (in absolute numbers) given that they reported their first cases a number of weeks ago, and their population density is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Half the gombeens in this country would only love to que up at a checkpoint just to add a little excitement to their day and have something to share with their fellow gombeen friends on Facebook.

Never underestimate the amount of fcukin idiots in our society.them same clowns had to be kicked out of a que for a McDonald’s by the guards not 3 weeks ago and told to go home.

#neverforgetthegombeens

The other half will go on back roads, ramming down laneways etc. to be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1247602974697889794?s=19

Huge increase in checkpoints coming from tomorrow

and i was going to head to Lidl for a few cans, i suppose i could throw some food into the trolley as well, just to be on the safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

easypazz wrote: »
    It is not one weekend. Its going on a while now. People are getting frustrated.

It’s been going on since early March now. This is massive and dismissing it “ah sure what’s another few weeks”. And what happens after that even? I am sick to the teeth of it but I will comply with whatever we have to do.
    The cases we are seeing now, are they from pre lockdown still?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Over 1400 deaths in a day in France really struggling to get my head round that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Chatting to colleagues online today and two said they were gonna chance their arm and head out to Connemara from Galway at the weekend. An extended family member said the same, and added "sure we wouldn't be getting out of the car and anyway it's the middle of nowhere".

Wrecks my head.
    If they want to waste fuel that took millions of years to form tell them to drive round the block ten times

Over 1400 deaths in a day in France really struggling to get my head round that

I remember the massive heatwave in 2003. Thousands died per day then too. Went on for weeks

harr wrote: »
    Anybody stopping at checkpoints around here and don’t have a good reason to be out and about are checked with a fine tooth comb even down to checking tyre depth.
    Plenty of reasons they could “ discourage “ with

Going shopping.
    Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

deise08 wrote: »
    Have people seen the video of that Gemma wan abusing the Garda checking regs at a scenic spot. saying she's his master?
    It's people like her that put the rest of us at risk..I wish the Gardaí could use the new laws to deal with the likes of that carry on.

I saw that earlier. The woman is a fcuking nutjob.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Chatting to colleagues online today and two said they were gonna chance their arm and head out to Connemara from Galway at the weekend. An extended family member said the same, and added "sure we wouldn't be getting out of the car and anyway it's the middle of nowhere".

Wrecks my head.

I have a housemate who doesn't want to go into work because of mixing with people. Fair enough. But then they bring over their friends to the house and mix with people!!! I just don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭deaglan1

Can you justify why there are a number of countries missing from that list?

There are many more countries on the list - their deaths per 1 M pop are 1 or below, e.g. Slovakia, New Zealand etc. This is only showing the top of the list and it is clear that Europe is at the epicentre currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

First it was shut the schools, then shut the pubs then lock it down altogether. Now it’s when are restrictions going to be pared back. Ffs can people not just stop moaning and whinging and let it be? Let’s give this period a chance to actually work before we relax any measures that have barely even benefited us yet. Why do some people always have to push for the next thing. Then when restrictions are lifted there will be mouthing about that and want it all shut again.

We haven’t seen anything like the measures other countries are seeing. My friend living in Dubai and they need a permit to even leave the house, they have a 24hr lockdown and she lives in a high rise apartment with two kids. They can barely look out the window over there without being questioned so just relax the cacks people

I have a housemate who doesn't want to go into work because of mixing with people. Fair enough. But then they bring over their friends to the house and mix with people!!! I just don't get it.

Sounds like workitus to me rather than any real concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

deaglan1 wrote: »
    There are many more countries on the list - their deaths per 1 M pop are 1 or below, e.g. Slovakia, New Zealand etc. This is only showing the top of the list and it is clear that Europe is at the epicentre currently.

San Marino, Andorra, etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Would I be right in saying that we believe the numbers of new cases is from test results gathered that day or the previous day? Yet many many people here are reporting having to wait over a week for test results? And last week we had a drop in tests as we were short on testing supplies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

We haven’t seen anything like the measures other countries are seeing. My friend living in Dubai and they need a permit to even leave the house, they have a 24hr lockdown and she lives in a high rise apartment with two kids. They can barely look out the window over there without being questioned so just relax the cacks people

Firstly Dubai introduced that measure mere hours ago so let's not go around pretending like they've been doing them for ages yeah?

Secondly the UAE wouldn't exactly be known for being a haven for human rights.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

We haven’t seen anything like the measures other countries are seeing. My friend living in Dubai and they need a permit to even leave the house, they have a 24hr lockdown and she lives in a high rise apartment with two kids.

Er Dubai is an absolute monarchy.

Saying that Communist country x or dictatorship y has tighter restrictions than us isn't really saying much. We're about to celebrate one hundred years of freedom and civil peace and restraint and headbangers want the army to go point guns at people taking fresh air along Howth pier. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Wrecks my head.

I know that city people feckin off to a holiday home somewhere in the wilds is against the current regulations but purely from an infection control point of view it is actually the best thing to do, (provided all the other guidelines are adhered to).
    Population density seems to be a major factor in the transmission of the bug, so to my way of thinking, the more you can scatter the population, the better.

road_high wrote: »
    Sounds like workitus to me rather than any real concern.

Bringing extra people into the house and it's more risk.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Firstly Dubai introduced that measure mere hours ago so let's not go around pretending like they've been doing them for ages yeah?

Secondly the UAE wouldn't exactly be known for being a haven for human rights.....

We’ve had gradual closedown for a month now, severe for three weeks. Simply no comparison to somewhere that’s only started

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

easypazz wrote: »
    It is not one weekend. Its going on a while now. People are getting frustrated.

We're all getting frustrated, my company shut down three weeks ago, like many others here, I don't know if I'll have a job to go back to when all this is over. I have a mortgage to pay. I could go on and on. I'd love to be off hill walking in west Cork or Kerry this weekend and stopping somewhere for a few pints and dinner on the way back. But more than anything I'd like to get back to normal and the sooner people do what is asked of them and we get this under control the better. It's only 11 days since we were asked to stay within a 2km radius with a few exceptions. So it's not been that long. You could be living in some city in northern Italy where you can't leave your dwelling except for food and medication for the 35th day on the trot.
    Suck it up!

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I know that city people feckin off to a holiday home somewhere in the wilds is against the current regulations but purely from an infection control point of view it is actually the best thing to do, (provided all the other guidelines are adhered to).
    Population density seems to be a major factor in the transmission of the bug, so to my way of thinking, the more you can scatter the population, the better.

Scatter the population = spread the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I know that city people feckin off to a holiday home somewhere in the wilds is against the current regulations but purely from an infection control point of view it is actually the best thing to do, (

Yep all come down here from Dublin the hotspot and spread it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I have tried hard but I feel I'm wasting my time.You dont seem to understand the difference between the physical completion of the test on the person at the testing site which is included as a test completed and the laboratory result which if positive is included in the daily new cases figure released EVERY day
    Of course I understand. We know that everyday they release the amount of people who test positive that is known by everyone. I made no comment on those results my comment is about the lack of total laboratory results published. This they only do once a week. I have tried to explain this and have asked you and you failed to answer, how many total laboratory results have been completed at HSE labs this week? Do you understand the question? Not swabbed actual labs results.
    There is a time lag between the tests and the results which was building up.This meant that for a period more tests were carried out than results received.
    The introduction of the German lab results this week has meant from Friday up to yesterday over 6000 results were received which included 479(from memory) positive cases.
    These 6000 results were from tests completed (I.e.swabbed) for a period of 14 days prior and therefore had been included in the working tests numbers given for previous weeks.
    I understand this completely. So we need to take this 6000 results figure from the total number of result to get the number of tests the HSE processed through their labs. So the Germans returned 6000 results and the HSE added this to their number. By their own numbers the HSE are then responsible for 6,271 test last week or approx 895 per day. Do you understand this? If you think my numbers are incorrect can you give me what you think the correct HSE completed in their labs this week.
    I have tried over a few posts recently to explain this but obviously have failed.It is not my fault the manner in which the data is given out but I have tried to clarify that there is no relation between the tests completed figure given out weekly and the number of lab results received in the corresponding week.
    We all know how the date is given out. I don't know why you are trying to confuse matters with talking about uncompleted test numbers versus completed labs tests numbers. I have only ever talked about completed test numbers and that is the data that the HSE release once a week. They never release any other data on overall test numbers. It is really not difficult to understand.
    My point all along is that the HSE is hyping their ability to run tests through the labs and constantly under achieving. You seem to think I have erred with the numbers maybe I have but can you now tell me how many completed tests results went through the HSE labs last week? Do you understand my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Logan Roy wrote: »

There are European countries with similar measures in place, so let's not go around pretending like Dubai and UAE are the only countries yeah?

bekker wrote: »
    Bingo, it's a stunt.

They've been doing it to the Gardaí for years, cutting the resources, virtute signalling with announcements of crackdowns ,and expecting the Gardaí to do more with less.

Now they are putting the Gardaí in the frontline to impotently take the abuse of their well heeled 'entitled' supporters because they don't have the bottle to take unpopular decisions that could affect their base.

In past decades this would have been a resigning matter for Health Ministers but that's not type of confrontation is not Simon Harris, and he surely knows that he has no more Cabinet backing for this than he's had previously when he tried to effect change.

It's actually illegal for him to resign, strange but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Baz Ashmawy and his follow up chat with Dr. Paddy Mallon after the first one was viewed in the hundreds of thousands

Very cautious optimism?

https://www.facebook.com/bashmawy/videos/634155507431183/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Scatter the population = spread the disease.

Only if the people who are travelling have it..... can people not be trusted to take some personal responsibility? We seem to distrust everyone in this country, bizarre attitude.

Seamai wrote: »
    We're all getting frustrated, my company shut down three weeks ago, like many others here, I don't know if I'll have a job to go back to when all this is over. I have a mortgage to pay. I could go on and on. I'd love to be off hill walking in west Cork or Kerry this weekend and stopping somewhere for a few pints and dinner on the way back. But more than anything I'd like to get back to normal and the sooner people do what is asked of them and we get this under control the better. It's only 11 days since we were asked to stay within a 2km radius with a few exceptions. So it's not been that long. You could be living in some city in northern Italy where you can't leave your dwelling except for food and medication for the 35th day on the trot.
    Suck it up!

You’re right there I’m so lucky still working away. I despise this but it could be worse- Feel for people that have that added and considerable worry of job loss. Hope we get back going soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Half the gombeens in this country would only love to que up at a checkpoint just to add a little excitement to their day and have something to share with their fellow gombeen friends on Facebook.

Never underestimate the amount of fcukin idiots in our society.them same clowns had to be kicked out of a que for a McDonald’s by the guards not 3 weeks ago and told to go home.

#neverforgetthegombeens

Nail on head #attentionseekersoftheworlduniteandtakeover

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement