Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

I don't understand. Looking at Italy, Spain, America. Are people just not getting help with this and staying at home.

I'm being 100% honest. It is so quiet. Yes the highly trained small number of staff in ICU are busy but it's certainly not anywhere near Italy or Spain levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The pay given to the staff in nursing homes is dreadful.

If they actually paid better wages, staff retention may not be an issue.

They are receiving pitiful wages and are now exposing themselves to harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

All staff wearing the proper equipment and for staff to be housed in hotels until the crisis ends. The staff should also get a 50% increase in pay.

All staff? do you know how many staff that could be - maybe 40,000? What about single mothers - who mines their children? What about part time workers in the nursing home?

And what bout trades men that have to go in, or funeral directors, what about the doctors? Do you ban them for entering?

It's like your living in a fantasy land, with some of these ideas, you want healthcare workers basically to work/be confined 24 hours a day for potentially months on end. Instead of the general public just doing what their told and staying in doors.

Also these hotels that you mention - will those staff also have to be confined and live in the hotel - in case they pass on the infections to these healthcare workers - so now that could be another 20,000 people that would have to be looked after financially. Like i said fantasy land your living in,.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Wasn't there talk of a few health care workers returning from abroad going straight back into work and then testing positive, could some have been in contact with nursing homes considering visiting restrictions came in place early March

You had HSE saying you're grand unless you show symptoms, so workers can't be blamed for this.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    All staff? do you know how many staff that could be - maybe 40,000? What about single mothers - who mines their children? What about part time workers in the nursing home?

And what bout trades men that have to go in, or funeral directors, what about the doctors? Do you ban them for entering?

It's like your living in a fantasy land, with some of these ideas, you want healthcare workers basically to work/be confined 24 hours a day for potentially months on end. Instead of the general public just doing what their told and staying in doors.

Also these hotels that you mention - will those staff also have to be confined and live in the hotel - in case they pass on the infections to these healthcare workers - so now that could be another 20,000 people that would have to be looked after financially. Like i said fantasy land your living in,.

It's an emergency. If we priotise our elderly, surely these steps can be taken. Obviously there would be exceptions and limits.

The biggest failing is the lack of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

All staff wearing the proper equipment and for staff to be housed in hotels until the crisis ends. The staff should also get a 50% increase in pay.

I fully agree.

The most important function of the mask in the low risk situation is to prevent spittle leaving the mouth and infecting multiple surfaces when out in public places.

In critical situations(hospitals) where front line responders are treating infected patients, they need top quality surgical masks, too prevent the inhaling of the virus from the infected patient.

Are nursing home staff being tested daily now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

risteard7 wrote: »
    I'm being 100% honest. It is so quiet. Yes the highly trained small number of staff in ICU are busy but it's certainly not anywhere near Italy or Spain levels.

I hope people don't think we're fine because you say you're quite. Shouldn't we be preparing for the worst and continue the advice that's been given?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

That is utterly heartbreaking.

Does he have anyone to help him?

This virus will take its toll on people in so so many ways :(

The department of psychology team is stretched even before this virus happened but through dealing with the clinic to get him seen and accessed, the strain on them is visible too. His community nurse looks knackered tho. He'll be with me until everything is the way it needs to be. Now, all that's needed is to make sure he's compliant with taking his medication. It's bloody hard to hang doors or your own tho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

old_aussie wrote: »
    Unfortunately, we're all part of the problem, and we're all part of the solution right now

Indeed, but he's one of those who make decisions for the rest of us/them and the decisions he's made so far are questionable at best and the rubbish he's been spewing is, frankly, rubbish. (And I like ands, too. :p)

Correct me if i'm wrong but that predicted figure wasn't arrived at my Irish experts - indeed Tony knocked that on it's head yesterday.

It also gave a range of 329 to 510 for the peak, so the 401 figure was just the most likely of the expected range. The range also represents where, based on the current data, they would expect the final outcome to be with 95% confidence. As with any model, its only as good as the most recent data, but it did project we would be at between 182 and 222 as of yesterday, and the actual is 210, so we are still within the range of outcomes predicted by the model.

Garda Commissioner giving a press conference now.

That's the realization that many countries facing right now.

Commissioner saying he will arrest as a last resort.

Garda Commissioner giving a press conference now.

Link for me in Australia would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gael23 wrote: »
    Something drastic needs to be done quickly around the issue of careers looking after patients in their own home. Home Helps make the difference that allow vulnerable people to remain at home instead of being in a nursing home, which is what we want. But, they can visit up to 6 different households in a day which creates massive rosk

Great point, i have friends in the caring profession... what I’m told is happening is non essential visits are being curtailed, some care visits are in a ‘good to have’ category rather than ‘need to have’, they are there as help and companionship for older people on their own as opposed to an assistive necessity, and sometimes younger people recovering from an long term difficulty. The client needs to be proactive here too, informing the company they can do without, maybe only a shop run or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

It's an emergency. If we priotise our elderly, surely these steps can be taken. Obviously there would be exceptions and limits.

The biggest failing is the lack of equipment.

Yes it's an emergency, but it's one that you think that Healthcare workers should step up and sacrifice not only potentially their lives, but also the chance of seeing their families and remaining sane in this time.

If everyone else in the country just stayed indoor we wouldn't have such a reliance of them - you have the media reporting about people going down the country for Easter - or parties in back gardens - where is the society taking responsibility? where are the non-government politicians telling people to stay at home and don't act the dick? There is a certain cohort that won't listen to Leo and co, but they might listen to their close SF/Independent for instance.

PPE is an issue in every country and there have been numerous articles about this, we need to work with what we have, and work and act in the present, not "we should have done this, or we should have done that"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So am I right in saying id be breaking the law if I call over to my parents the weekend, to drop them something in the letter box and let the kids see them through the window,

They live further than 2 k away ,

old_aussie wrote: »
    Link for me in Australia would be nice

RTE News Facebook page carrying all the Irish related press conferences.

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »
    I just came across this: https://www.bitchute.com/video/JIBQO4wMkSmX/

I take it that the guy is a loon or conman. It's very confusing.

Your thoughts, guys?

delusional would be my best guess

Commissioner saying he will arrest as a last resort.

phew, for a moment I thought he said "shoot at last resort"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Worztron

delusional would be my best guess

+1

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

So am I right in saying id be breaking the law if I call over to my parents the weekend, to drop them something in the letter box and let the kids see them through the window,

I think that's right.

It's not a necessary trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The ones that get obsessed about Trump think they are American.

I have a brother consumed by Trump and Johnson. It’s not that they think they are American.
    If your hard wired Left and exist on SM in a Left wing echo chamber then your ambition in life is to see Trump and Johnson deposed and replaced with Bernie Sanders and Starmer.
    Hopefully so many people will die of Covid in both US and UK that the citizens of each of those countries will turn against their government and vote for Democrats/Labour.
    That’s the general idea.

I think providing support for someone in self isolation is allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129221-coronavirus-world/
    Precautions taken to restrict movement in and out of a Northern Chinese town after 25 Russians travellers test positive there. Apparently quite a lot of concern in China currently that infected tourists may trigger a second wave in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The holiday home issue is just a red Herring.

The real issue are the tens of thousands of morons out in the parks like it's one big summer holiday.

The 350 a week Covid dole payment should be stopped to those breaking the rules.
    Easy enough to accomplish too.

Then crime goes through the roof, people still have to eat

Hunt you down,$1600 fine in Australia

You know they (the gov) have got a "spotters fee"

Rated just above the "TV Licence" shoot to kill Dee bitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Boris is a good man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement