Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think that's right.

It's not a necessary trip.

Ok I'm not saying your wrong but for arguments sake who decides if its necessary ?
    My parents are old and can't really use a phone so I call over to make sure they are ok , Also they may need it for there mental health ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ace2007 wrote: »
    All staff? do you know how many staff that could be - maybe 40,000? What about single mothers - who mines their children? What about part time workers in the nursing home?

And what bout trades men that have to go in, or funeral directors, what about the doctors? Do you ban them for entering?

It's like your living in a fantasy land, with some of these ideas, you want healthcare workers basically to work/be confined 24 hours a day for potentially months on end. Instead of the general public just doing what their told and staying in doors.

Also these hotels that you mention - will those staff also have to be confined and live in the hotel - in case they pass on the infections to these healthcare workers - so now that could be another 20,000 people that would have to be looked after financially. Like i said fantasy land your living in,.

Like FG and their supporters, you are great at finding fault with other people's ideas, but have no ideas of your own.

Can you come up with one original idea that would get us out of his mess but also allow for re-opening of the economy in the next few months?

Doing nothing at all is not a solution to anything. That only gets you so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Shn99 wrote: »
    Flanagan on RTE Live - Sean O'Rourke, signalling to relocating vacation home owners, 'don't worry we've got your back'.

It emerged that it was Cabinet resistance that has limited and delayed the deployment of the extra powers for the Gardaí voted by the Oireachtas on 20th March. Ostensibly on 'individual freedoms' which trumps community safety in their ideology. '

People who have gone to vacation homes will not be made return to their normal residence, just asked to isolate themselves, despite reports and complaints from locals of vacationers being in the streets and shops of such areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ok I'm not saying your wrong but for arguments sake who decides if its necessary ?
    My parents are old and can't really use a phone so I call over to make sure they are ok , Also they may need it for there mental health ,

It's a judgement call on your part then perhaps?

The whole point is to limit people moving around as much as possible.

Birthdays and other occasions are being postponed sadly until this is all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

theballz wrote: »
    Boris is a good man.

Um..... no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129221-coronavirus-world/
    Precautions taken to restrict movement in and out of a Northern Chinese town after 25 Russians travellers test positive there. Apparently quite a lot of concern in China currently that infected tourists may trigger a second wave in the country

"WHO" tested the Russians?

see what I did there .....

Are nursing home staff being tested daily now?

Not sure. I know if they have symptoms they are told to isolate.

By the time you have symptoms its already too late when it comes to passing it on. And by the time you get test results back its certainly too late.

There is no substitute for thorough controls and PPE. Longer term there will have to be cocooning of nursing home staff, either in their own homes or for the few people who are from direct provision centres in hotels. Despite what the FG bots say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

It also gave a range of 329 to 510 for the peak, so the 401 figure was just the most likely of the expected range. The range also represents where, based on the current data, they would expect the final outcome to be with 95% confidence. As with any model, its only as good as the most recent data, but it did project we would be at between 182 and 222 as of yesterday, and the actual is 210, so we are still within the range of outcomes predicted by the model.

The bit in bold is the key part, had you looked at investment return model is February, they would never have anticipated the downturn, as the downturn was in the tail that's not analysed because of the lack of data, that's where are now, so this idea of now trying to model something where we had no data to begin with is very dangerous, and as such the media should not be allowed to report it -

One poster mention that effect papers are having on his father's health. Why don't the media post positivity instead of negativity - and encourage and promote positive mind sets?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You had HSE saying you're grand unless you show symptoms, so workers can't be blamed for this.
    +1. For all the talk of how well our leadership is doing there's quite the number of examples where they are doing anything but well. As Boggles in the thread on masks put it very well.

Boggles wrote: »
    The majority of businesses had decided to close or introduced complete work from home measures before the government acted. Also Paddy's Day was cancelled at council level before the government decided to cancel. Also "No issue" with 10,000 people going to a race meeting in the UK, etc, etc.

The idea the government and HSE are getting this right is farcical. Our testing plan has been a complete and utter failure by any metric and 20% of our PPE would be perfect if we had uoompa loompas on the front line.

That's on top of what Away mentioned about their so called expert poo pooing the idea of asymptomatic spread a month after the dogs on the street knew it was a risk factor and the media who reported it got it from research in the Far East and Germany. Never mind the dilly dallying on Garda powers, pubs etc, or masks for that matter.

Contrast our muppets who in all too typical civil service management speak pass on all responsibility to the WHO and the ECDC so they can't be blamed because "we were just following orders" and compare them to the Czech Republic. They saw they were too slow to react at first, but took responsibility, got the finger out, applied independent thinking(god forbid) and closed the ports, shops and pubs, implemented distancing and tracking and mandatory mask wearing among other measures. And what happened? Their population of 10 million is double that of ours and they have half the deaths.

And that's on top of not being an island and with a far higher population density and much higher level of shared dwelling compared to us. Ireland has the lowest population density in Europe. That's what has kept the numbers down far and above what the HSE and government have done. We should have one of the lowest death numbers in Europe, but we don't.

So please spare us about how great the HSE has faired in all this. They've been lucky at best.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

bekker wrote: »
    Flanagan on RTE Live - Sean O'Rourke, signalling to relocating vacation home owners, 'don't worry we've got your back'.

It emerged that it was Cabinet resistance that has limited and delayed the deployment of the extra powers for the Gardaí voted by the Oireachtas on 20th March. Ostensibly on 'individual freedoms' which trumps community safety in their ideology. '

People who have gone to vacation homes will not be made return to their normal residence, just asked to isolate themselves, despite reports and complaints from locals of vacationers being in the streets and shops of such areas.

FG looking after their own as usual.

• Advertisement

Not sure. I know if they have symptoms they are told to isolate.

By the time you have symptoms its already too late when it comes to passing it on. And by the time you get test results back its certainly too late.

There is no substitute for thorough controls and PPE. Longer term there will have to be cocooning of nursing home staff, either in their own homes or for the few people who are from direct provision centres in hotels. Despite what the FG bots say.

This is the green jersey nonsense isn't it.

Not enough attention has been given to nursing homes and their badly paid staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

old_aussie wrote: »
    phew, for a moment I thought he said "shoot at last resort"

I think that has to be done as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

One poster mention that effect papers are having on his father's health. Why don't the media post positivity instead of negativity - and encourage and promote positive mind sets?

i'LL LET YOU LEAD OFF WITH THE POSITIVE SIDE OF REPORTING THE GAVE SITUATION WE ARE IN ......

Over to you.....

mick987 wrote: »
    Then crime goes through the roof, people still have to eat

you don't need 350 a week to eat, an individual could eat healthy for no more than 80 euro a week if they really wanted to,

mick987 wrote: »
    Then crime goes through the roof, people still have to eat

But they don't need to go to parks.

For the vast majoirity, this second home or holiday home stuff, will be completely irrelevant to them.

you don't need 350 a week to eat, an individual could eat healthy for no more than 80 euro a week if they really wanted to,

People that say these things are the ones that have never lived on a tiny income.

Are nursing home staff being tested daily now?

Some private homes have twice/three time temp checks on all staff daily

Mass testing is now necessary until we have a vaccine. We may have a time where people will be tested daily.

Some private homes have twice/three time temp checks on all staff daily

Any source for that? So it's not a national policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

FG looking after their own as usual.

Comments like this always struck me as absolute nonsense.

Did FF's builders pals, and those who voted FF during the boom times that all went ahead and bought additional properties, have to sell up when FF left government. Is that how it works when you own an additional home, you can only keep it as long as the party you vote for is in power?

old_aussie wrote: »
    i'LL LET YOU LEAD OFF WITH THE POSITIVE SIDE OF REPORTING THE GAVE SITUATION WE ARE IN ......

Over to you.....

There are people in their 70's 80's, 90's and even over 100 surviving the virus, but hope much of this gets published?

How many recoveries in Ireland get published?

Also you don't need to publish positivity in order to breed positive mental attitude, you just need not publish doom and gloom every single day.

There are people in their 70's 80's, 90's and even over 100 surviving the virus, but hope much of this gets published?

Also you don't need to publish positivity in order to breed positive mental attitude, you just need not publish doom and gloom every single day.

Journalists supposed to hold government to account.

This is a positive thing, not a negative.

People that say these things are the ones that have never lived on a tiny income.

My food intake is less than 100 a week, and i could easily cut that down further.
    So while my income may not be "tiny", it doesn't impact the amount i spend.

You can get a 1kg bag of oats for 69 cent, and that will do for breakfast for instance.

you can 1kg of rice for less than a euro and that would last more than a week.

If you want to eat cheaply and healthy you can do that - just cut the crap out.

Any source for that? So it's not a national policy?

No idea if it's national policy but i know private nursing homes that do it

It's a pandemic, how do they not publish the bad things?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Nurseing homes seem to be a ****show.
    Doubling of clusters since the weekend.

When you pay staff **** wages this is what you get. Agency staff being moved around various nursing homes.
    Its clear no proper staffing measures were put in place.

In many of the hospitals medics etc are gone to single 24hr on calls in any one week. This reduces the possibility for spreading the virus.
    Medic only has one shift so only one chance to infect others. This is happening in the major hospitals. They can do this because they have the staff.

Nursing homes are run for profit so are not adequately staffed. You've workers doing shifts in various homes spreading the virus around.

Where is HIQA or the Surveilance agency or dept coming down hard on these providers?

Why hasnt a mass casualty event/process been put in place to seperate healthy residents from ill? like move them to other building?

I would say that there is a (observational) correlation in between people who wear masks believing they are been protected and people breaking social distancing rules.

My food intake is less than 100 a week, and i could easily cut that down further.
    So while my income may not be "tiny", it doesn't impact the amount i spend.

You can get a 1kg bag of oats for 69 cent, and that will do for breakfast for instance.

you can 1kg of rice for less than a euro and that would last more than a week.

If you want to eat cheaply and healthy you can do that - just cut the crap out.

Thinking of my student days, I lived of €20 a week for food. I'll do it again, if I have to.

• Advertisement

Journalists supposed to hold government to account.

This is a positive thing, not a negative.

Is it positive if it's making people worried and anxious constantly reading about it in the paper? People are getting sick just reading the papers.

Is it fair the hold the government to account, when no other government in the world is dealing with the situation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement