Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Ace2007 wrote: »
    My food intake is less than 100 a week, and i could easily cut that down further.
    So while my income may not be "tiny", it doesn't impact the amount i spend.

You can get a 1kg bag of oats for 69 cent, and that will do for breakfast for instance.

you can 1kg of rice for less than a euro and that would last more than a week.

If you want to eat cheaply and healthy you can do that - just cut the crap out.

More and more people start realizing this and now have more time for cooking and preparing meals from raw ingredients.

Unfortunate side effect will be that many businesses will get hurt, the retail will get hurt, producers of crap will get hurt, branded stuff will get hurt.
    It's like a hard reset really. Short term pain, but we may wake up in a better place one day because of this. Invest where it makes sens instead of investing in crap and support crap to thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Hurrache wrote: »
    Comments like this always struck me as absolute nonsense.

Did FF's builders pals, and those who voted FF during the boom times that all went ahead and bought additional properties, have to sell up when FF left government. Is that how it works when you own an additional home, you can only keep it as long as the party you vote for is in power?
    Nothing to do with FF v FG, though FG since it's inception has always tended to favour the interests of the affluent over the mass of the population, but that used to be leavened with a genuine concern with the National Interest

In recent years FG has been pandering to the same element of self-interested mé féiners that populated FF and Taca in previous decades.

Please don't judge on pronouncements and spin, rather judge on actions implemented, ^or avoided^, and the interests they benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mass testing is now necessary until we have a vaccine. We may have a time where people will be tested daily.

What’s the point? Mass has been cancelled for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Worztron

Is the lockdown doing to be extended?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

you don't need 350 a week to eat, an individual could eat healthy for no more than 80 euro a week if they really wanted to,
    No but you need to pay rent, electric, telephone, insurance, heating, food and loads of other things, you stop giving people the money to live on where are they going to get it from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mr.S wrote: »
    Most definitely.

for a minimum of an extra two weeks I reckon and then possibly extended again after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Is it positive if it's making people worried and anxious constantly reading about it in the paper? People are getting sick just reading the papers.

Is it fair the hold the government to account, when no other government in the world is dealing with the situation?
    The whole reason for granting 'freedom of the press' is that the press are holding government to account, ^and^ exposing malfeasance, corruption, and the misallocation of the state's resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

bekker wrote: »
    Nothing to do with FF v FG, though FG since it's inception has always tended to favour the interests of the affluent over the mass of the population, but that used to be leavened with a genuine concern with the National Interest

In recent years FG has been pandering to the same element of self-interested mé féiners that populated FF and Taca in previous decades.

Please don't judge on pronouncements and spin, rather judge on actions implemented, ^or avoided^, and the interests they benefit.

Hmmm effectively shutting down business straight away with them businesses loosing billions and probably never opening again when other countries haven't.

Yeah that's some pandering alright.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What’s the point? Mass has been cancelled for a while now.

But it should be tested until its right so when we have a vaccine we'll truely know then if theres a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

voluntary wrote: »
    Unfortunate side effect will be that many businesses will get hurt, the retail will get hurt, producers of crap will get hurt, branded stuff will get hurt.
    It's like a hard reset really. Short term pain, but we may wake up in a better place one day because of this. Invest where it makes sens instead of investing in crap and support crap to thrive.

i have no faith that will happen, i suspect it will be back to normal behaviour (as much as is allowed anyway) as soon as.

peopel ae cooking because they are at home and not leaving the house at 6am and getting home at 7pm

dont beleive people can hard reset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gonzo wrote: »
    for a minimum of an extra two weeks I reckon and then possibly extended again after that.

We will see extensions as long as people are not adhering to social distancing, as long as people are being selfish...” ahhh I’ll just go over to xyz person, see if they are ok “ “ ohhh I have to drop an extra blanket to xyz I’m worried about them”... you couldn’t give a shît about people being ok or blankets, you want to ‘talk’.... clowns, lift the fückin phone. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 minggatu

There is a decline in active cases in Austria, Germany and Switzerland
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/austria/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think they will want to ease up on something by the end of the month. Any longer and there is a far greater risk of people flouting it.

Anybody here who currently WFH would prefer to go back to work, be back to 2 hours daily traffic and all the related stress and crap? The lockdown is a bless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

i have no faith that will happen, i suspect it will be back to normal behaviour (as much as is allowed anyway) as soon as.

peopel ae cooking because they are at home and not leaving the house at 6am and getting home at 7pm

dont beleive people can hard reset

I believe that after all this, wfh will be common place - Companies will learn that they don't need big office spaces anymore, and just have people working from, Hot desking couple with wfh will be the new norm, companies that once had 500 desk in an office, will now have maybe 250, and have people wfh 2/3 days a week. This in turn will see people have the time to cook/bake etc.

This in turn could see less people renting in Dublin, which will see less travel and less pressure on rent.

mick987 wrote: »
    No but you need to pay rent, electric, telephone, insurance, heating, food and loads of other things, you stop giving people the money to live on where are they going to get it from?

You learn to cut down, ask the serious questions - do you need the large telephone bill, do you need sky sports, or you watch TV really, or do you just have it for netflix etc. Take this current environment - what are people watching on TV? there are no soaps i assume? there is no sports?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

JRant wrote: »
    N

Did we not have record numbers in our hospitals over this winter period?
    Until we get an accurate antibody test there are a lot of unknowns.
    If this had been in hospitals at that time with no isolation precautions in place we would surely have had a hell of a lot more cases and indeed a lot more deaths. Healthcare workers would have been particularly exposed without adequate PPE. It seems to me to be only over the past few weeks we are finding those on the frontline being affected

They tend to measure hospital numbers over the winter by numbers on trolleys, which was slightly higher than usual but not massively so

voluntary wrote: »
    Anybody here who currently WFH would prefer to go back to work, be back to 2 hours daily traffic and all the related stress and crap? The lockdown is a bless :D

Dermot Bannon will be busy in a year designing home offices for the annoying and folk with more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

A lot of people out and about around the estate today. Families heading out with the kids wearing backpacks, looking like they're heading to the park. Neighbours at eachother's doors not observing social distancing when chatting and lots of noise, lots of cars. It has been quiet enough to hear a pin drop for the last couple of weeks, but somewhat yesterday and particularly today, you'd say it's almost 'bustling' in the estate. Looks like people are starting to disregard the measures :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

So am I right in saying id be breaking the law if I call over to my parents the weekend, to drop them something in the letter box and let the kids see them through the window,

They live further than 2 k away ,

To be honest I think you're being over the top here.

My own opinion is that you shouldn't be taking the kids anywhere.
    Surely the sterilising of your car after any journey is enough to put you off driving?
    Even on Mother's Day we were all asked not to visit mothers.

You're not breaking the law if you're doing food shopping for them.
    My own parents are cocooning and I do their shopping.
    After wiping everything down I put fresh gloves on and leave it on their step.
    My mother is TERRIFIED of getting the virus and I respect that.
    I'd hate to think I was the one to infect them if they got it.

Plenty of time for them to see the grandkids when this is over.

Beasty wrote: »
    If this had been in hospitals at that time with no isolation precautions in place we would surely have had a hell of a lot more cases and indeed a lot more deaths. Healthcare workers would have been particularly exposed without adequate PPE. It seems to me to be only over the past few weeks we are finding those on the frontline being affected

They tend to measure hospital numbers over the winter by numbers on trolleys, which was slightly higher than usual but not massively so

You would have to imagine the mess that would have happened in nursing homes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

wakka12 wrote: »
    Iran has recorded it's highest daily total of new cases at nearly 5000 today

Iran has 'revised' it's incorrect daily total down to 1900 new cases and 120 deaths..how does the ministry of health publish such an incorrect figure. Would be interesting to know whats really going on in Iran, WHO say cases are underreported by a factor of 5. An Iranian member of parliament said there was a cover up and hospital records in February showed the death toll in Tehran/Qom was at least 6x times higher than reported
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51673053

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

rm212 wrote: »
    A lot of people out and about around the estate today. Families heading out with the kids wearing backpacks, looking like they're heading to the park. Neighbours at eachother's doors not observing social distancing when chatting and lots of noise, lots of cars. It has been quiet enough to hear a pin drop for the last couple of weeks, but somewhat yesterday and particularly today, you'd say it's almost 'bustling' in the estate. Looks like people are starting to disregard the measures :(
    Which was predicted, and people are human. The French have fined hundreds of of thousands during their lockdown. We will get a lot more if this pushed out beyond a further two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The fact that Germany has tested around a million people has has such a low death rate proves the the real death rate of the virus is even lower than what is being reported...Fake news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Drumpot wrote: »
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/coronavirus-kills-woman-three-sons-21831699

There were stories like this in China aswell , entire families being wiped out by the disease.

Since They haven’t found the answer to why some get it worse then others I wonder if family genes play a significant role.

I remember that and the even sadder ones of a little boy after generations of his family dying presenting himself to an orphanage. Or the young girl in the room by herself. And the saddest of all the 3 childrem, even though they died for different reasons being placed in one body bag due to a shortage. May they all rest in peace.
    I presume that some underlying conditions run in familys.
    We also need to check out the opposite also whole familys it didnt effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

rm212 wrote: »

They need to have a press conference tomorrow to state that they are extending it until the 5th May i feel, that way people will not start making plans for the May bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Strumms wrote: »
    We will see extensions as long as people are not adhering to social distancing, as long as people are being selfish...” ahhh I’ll just go over to xyz person, see if they are ok “ “ ohhh I have to drop an extra blanket to xyz I’m worried about them”... you couldn’t give a shît about people being ok or blankets, you want to ‘talk’.... clowns, lift the fückin phone. :rolleyes:

I can’t see restrictions on pubs or clubs being lifted, hardly an essential service although some might argue they are but the reality is very very difficult to maintain social distance and the risk of people getting drunk and forgetting the social etiquette, handling glasses etc, touching stuff etc it would be madness to undo the work that has already been done.

Large gatherings for concerts, sports etc hardly going happen.

Overseas holiday to anywhere is definitely not going happen this year, how could government justify letting people travel and risk bringing back more infection is the government going pay to isolate you in a hotel on your return... hardly

Summer is basically cancelled, this thing is going continue to roll into next winter and then maybe 2021 things can progress from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The fact that Germany has tested around a million people has has such a low death rate proves the the real death rate of the virus is even lower than what is being reported...Fake news

It is in line with what it was always thought to be. Germany's mortality rate is about 2% and is probably missing about half of cases even despite the widespread testing so it is probably a mortality rate of around 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

is_that_so wrote: »
    Which was predicted, and people are human. The French have fined hundreds of of thousands during their lockdown.

Stupid more like.

I think first we should start by lifting restrictions on religious gatherings. Open them up for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I have been thinking about how the Gov could have done more to protect the nursing homes and in my mind the only way is proper PPE and adequate staff levels. Isolating the nursing homes from the outside world just isn't practical.

The best we can do, is give the staff the best PPE there is and hope that this prevents the patients from being infected. More staff would reduce the number of patients carers are dealing with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement