Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

owlbethere wrote: »
    There's now 50 nursing home clusters.

How is this happening?

I do feel that a culture of contract care assistants and nurses working in different nursing homes would have a massive effect on the spread.

I understand this has stopped now but it takes a long time to feed through to the numbers.

There is suggestion that the smoking gun symptom (ie fever) happens less in older people as fever is often an immune response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

owlbethere wrote: »
    There's now 50 nursing home clusters.

How is this happening?

Because in nursing homes people live in close proximity and have close contact with staff who themselves are coming and going from the nursing homes.
    Add to that that residents of nursing homes are a a high risk group and up to a week or so ago would have being having family members visit and it's almost inevitable that we would be seeing clusters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

is_that_so wrote: »
    But it is fair to say that the rate of increase has fallen quite a bit for them.

Deaths or cases?

Italy maxed out in cases 2 weeks ago at around 6,100 and 880 deaths.

It went down to 4,100 cases but is staying stubbornly at 4,500-4,600 now. Deaths fell to below 700 yesterday.

I think France and Spain are a little soon to say. Just the come down from peak is terribly slow, with a lot of deaths. And as Kermit said that's with a lid on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭Worztron

When's the lock-down due to end? Fri 10-Apr?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Thanks for links, think I'll stick with the ~50%. AFAIR both of those were swab based with the usual shedding volume related error rates, same with Icelandic but it it's based on a far larger sample, 5x ROK tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Critical care occupancy, have a look at Fergal's other Tweets at the data posted, no doubt will be released to the public at some stage.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1246784052784435202?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Phoebas wrote: »
    Because in nursing homes people live in close proximity and have close contact with staff who themselves are coming and going from the nursing homes.
    Add to that that residents of nursing homes are a a high risk group and up to a week or so ago would have being having family members visit and it's almost inevitable that we would be seeing clusters.

Must be a month since most homes stopped family visits, clusters must be coming in with staff, external medics and or people been released from hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Worztron wrote: »

12th (at the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Thanks for heavily editing my post which requires significant error to put back in context.

I've highlighted something that you said 10 days ago see below. If you knew they needed this, didn't have it and would most likely need training. How did they not?
    • How did you know that we didn't have required PPE?
    • How are you now saying "How were they to know that training required?
    Doesn't add up.
    khalessi wrote: »
    In the past the traditional ppe was used for the likes of MRSA cases and consisted of plastic gloves, the blue pleated masks and a white plastic apron and sometimes a plastic eyemask. In theatre they wore full gowns. These would have been ordered frequently and the hospitals would have lots in stock.

But the full hazmat gear required for Covid19 would not have been in huge supply. From what I've seen they need goggles, and the masks(which have to be changed frequently and are different to the blue pleated ones) stronger gloves which are also changes frequently so these stocks have to be built up.

Considering there is a run on these globally that would take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Let's hope it works on both apple and Android. Have visions of the UK government with their settled status app for EU citizens not working on either apple or Android!

An apple is likely to be much better for you right now than a lollipop, kitkat or pie etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Phoebas wrote: »
    Don't understand how Dept of Health overlooked or missed the cross-contamination problem of staff working concurrently in a number of nursing homes (and in some cases hospitals).

Anyone who visited residents in such establishments quickly became aware of it the practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

GM228 wrote: »
    12th (at the moment).

Can't see it going back to normal on the 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Is there a proper lockdown in Turkey right now like in Europe or what? Cases there have grown by 2000% over the last fortnight. First confirmed cases was 3 weeks ago and now 24k cases, 9th most in the world, along with the US it is by far the fastest growth in the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The current lockdown period comes to an end next Sunday but it`s almost certain that it will be extended for at least another 2 weeks beyond then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I heard it mentioned before, July 19th.

For anyone wondering how the next 12-18 months might look like

Pseudonym's Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Thanks for heavily editing my post which requires significant error to put back in context.

I've highlighted something that you said 10 days ago see below. If you knew they needed this, didn't have it and would most likely need training. How did they not?
    Doesn't add up.

I didnt edit your post \i added my answers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Doesn't add up.

THe gowns I was referring to in my post were not those that were sent. These jumpsuit coverall are more complicated to put on then what they expected to arrive

oh and how did I know is becuase I spent 20 years nursing and I know the gear they had and am also in contact with my fellow nurses

kingbhome wrote: »

No chance that things will be getting back to what was considered normal for a long time to come.

kingbhome wrote: »

Exactly. A week from today our cases won't be low enough.

I don't know what an acceptable new number of daily cases is?

10? 20? How our perspective changes. They would have been huge numbers up to 10th March or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ZX7R wrote: »
    The issue regards supermarket started by an English professor ,then it was picked up by some health organization that I never heard of.
    The world health organization is of the opinion on the matter is that spread in supermarkets is inconclusive at the present time and more investigation is needed.
    And the WHO would never be tardy in getting their act together and acknowledging that something was a problem..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

GM228 wrote: »
    Critical care occupancy, have a look at Fergal's other Tweets at the data posted, no doubt will be released to the public at some stage.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1246784052784435202?s=19

When it says the Mater does that means all Mater hospitals ? I don’t see a separate for Mater Cork or Mater Dublin.

Others wise between the bons and cuh Cork only has 7 people in ICU is this correct ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Slight improvement in the UK - 621 deaths today, compared to 708 yesterday:

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1246791324231176193

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not a hope.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Exactly. A week from today our cases won't be low enough.

I don't know what an acceptable new number of daily cases is?

10? 20? How our perspective changes. They would have been huge numbers up to 10th March or so.

You might want to read the last post in this thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219

Some eye opening comments there and in the whole thread in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Cases up by 2,000 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Apologies for the Levity Interlude posting just before the UK deaths. Looks bad, but one never knows what happens next these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

It will be extended to April 19th at 3pm.

Then thats it. Done and dusted.

• Advertisement

So approaching 5000 dead in the UK as of 9am this morning and the surge hasn`t really begun there yet.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement