Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

As usual the great minds of boards.ie don't care if civil society utterly dissolves as long as it serves their medical-advisory monomania.

Luckily the guards aren't dumb enough to start bullying and terrorising citizens like there's no tomorrow. They'd like to preserve some credibility and social trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

So how's the weather down around Dublin?

You wouldn't dare go near a beach up here in the northwest. The wind would blow the head of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

You wouldn't dare go near a beach up here in the northwest. The wind would blow the head of ye.

Sunny, very windy, and patchs of very light rain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don’t think we have the numbers in our army or police forces to do a full on nobody leaves their homes lockdown like in Spain or Italy. All the European countries beefed up their police forces massively in the last few years because of the recent threat from ISIS in Europe. To add to that we have half the population living in one off houses dotted all over the country side. Are they going out a Garda outside every house?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

ZX7R wrote: »
    The issue regards supermarket started by an English professor ,then it was picked up by some health organization that I never heard of.
    The world health organization is of the opinion on the matter is that spread in supermarkets is inconclusive at the present time and more investigation is needed.
    WHO report mid-Feb., things have moved on, number of subsequent studies showing viable persistence >24 hours on various surfaces, and ^micro-droplet^ aerosol spread in addition to droplet spread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Vicxas wrote: »
    Spains death rate has seen its third daily decline, along with Italy.

Some great news finally starting to come around.

That's not the full updated deaths and cases, it comes in at 11pm each evening. However the morning report is down.

P.s. Italy's deaths were down yesterday but cases up by 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    A friend told me? Fergal getting a bout of social mediatis? It's never going to be 100% compliance. Another stern message to people coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

spookwoman wrote: »
    think i was just one person acting the b*llox on their own, drink involved

At least some things are continuing as normal then.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Kivaro wrote: »
    Supermarkets and smaller shops should be the next area of focus by the government.

I always thought that they were a hotbed for the virus and its spread.
    They need to figure out a way to reduce crowds shopping at the same time by staggering who goes in at what time, and reduce contact points in the supermarkets.
    To me supermarkets are superspreaders.

Shop assistants could be filling petrol pumps at stations and using contactless payment through window to keep them safer. This could mean it’s safer for staff working too but there’d be a fall in footfall for shop items so petrol stations may not want to do that .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don’t think we have the numbers in our army or police forces to do a full on nobody leaves their homes lockdown like in Spain or Italy. All the European countries beefed up their police forces massively in the last few years because of the recent threat from ISIS in Europe. To add to that we have half the population living in one off houses dotted all over the country side. Are they going out a Garda outside every house?

Some fella was on the bbc week before last saying the same in regards to the uk. Basic gist was that a full lockdown couldn't be enforced nationwide and that it was more of a social pact situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

bekker wrote: »
    WHO report mid-Feb., things have moved on, number of subsequent studies showing viable persistence >24 hours on various surfaces, and ^micro-droplet^ aerosol spread in addition to droplet spread.
    Yes things have moved on but the reality is most of the scientific papers released have not been peer overviewed and won't be for a long time .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

easypazz wrote: »
    Based on population we should have about 360 deaths to be equivalent.

We locked down before them, which leads me to believe this is our surge, its just we don't have a clown like bojo or trump in charge.

And remember that if we'd only reported Hospital deaths like them, we'd only have around 20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Talisman

My sister (resident in SC, USA) and her two daughters were diagnosed as having it but not tested because none of them had both the high temperature (38C+) and dry cough.

My sister has a few underlying conditions and suffers from Lupus, her temperature is always in the 'normal' range for a 'normal' person - it never goes above 37C. The test center had no interest in testing any of them until they became aware of this and the fact that she has been taking hydroxychloroquine to treat her condition.

Here are some excerpts from our WhatsApp chats this week, names replaced with (A, X & Y).

Tuesday:
    A’s uncle passed away from it this morning.

X has been really tired for a few days, this evening she has a temperature, sore throat and said her chest feels a little funny. Odds are 50:50 strep:covid but there’s no way I’m taking her to the doctor unless absolutely necessary!

Wednesday:
    I have a raging headache this morning, sore throat, neck and joints. Temp is just a little above normal. I clean every surface, except it occurred to me last night as I was disinfecting surfaces that I haven’t been cleaning the button inside the fridge to get cold water

Not possible to use elbows in that particular situation, Y said she has post nasal drip and sore ears, I’ve heard her sneeze a few times this morning - my ears hurt too, from my throat. We could all have pretty bad allergies, the pollen here is unreal at the moment.

Thursday:
    I think all 3 of us have this virus. X’s breathing is heavy tonight and I have a pain that goes from my sternum through to my spine. Y slept until 1:30 today and said she is feeling very gentle. I think she means that she needs to be gentle with herself.

I feel a lot like like I did when I had malaria before the shakes started. Just really dead tired with an excruciating headache and my body feels like a dead weight.

I tried to do the online evaluation so we could go straight to the testing center tomorrow. But the wait times have been ridiculous, even at midnight the wait was 90 minutes. If I’d been thinking more clearly earlier I would have just left my Laptop up and waited in line. Anyway, I’ll call the urgent care tomorrow and see if they can do the evaluation so we can go to get tested. Imagine our closest testing location is an hour away!

Fluids make all the difference, I found if I drink to the point that my bladder is constantly full the headache and muscle tiredness is a lot better.

Friday
    None of us are in terrible shape, but it’s not like the flu either. This really does feel like malaria

I’d say X brought it from College. The two big hot spots here are both of the colleges. X slept in my bed the night she came home, and Y climbed into my bed a few nights ago before I started with the headache

I’d say I’ve been incubating it for two weeks. The reason I say that is right after X came back I had a couple of days where I was very tired and just not myself. Then I was fine again until Monday in terms of symptoms but on Friday or Saturday I just started to feel like this sense that I was going to get sick soon. It was weird, I cooked a bunch of food just in case. I think because of lupus I tend to be more aware of my body than others are

We are going tomorrow, I called after getting off the phone with you and she said the wait was very long by that time and they close at 2.

Saturday
    We are definitely all on the same track. Y’s sternum is hurting now and her joints hurt. I developed a cough last night but it’s very manageable.

It 100% feels like malaria - it’s astoundingly similar. No wonder anti malaria medication makes people feel better.

I ordered an oxygen meter, and we are all in a very healthy range.

We have plenty of food and a friend just dropped off eggs and frozen fruit - Y is living on scrambled eggs and smoothies
    From talking to her on the phone, the other symptoms they have noticed are:
    • thinking being dulled due to a numbing headache
    • the loss of sense of taste,
    • inflammation of the face especially around the sinuses and those areas turning rosey pink
    She was growing increasingly apprehensive of contracting the disease over the past few weeks but now that she has it, it's almost like a great weight has been lifted. My niece is feeling very guilty for bringing it home but the long term use of hydroxychloroquine has probably saved her mother's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

bekker wrote: »

I was listening to a scientist on BBC R5 yesterday though and he says it's debatable just how much a threat something on a surface might pose. He says it may theoretically count as a live virus in a lab setting, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is capable of infecting someone (as the traces on any surface would be very small).

He says is more concerned by human to human contact and interaction and that is probably where the real risk is coming from (that would be your aerosol spread plus physical contact).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Strazdas wrote: »
    I was listening to a scientist on BBC R5 yesterday though and he says it's debatable just how much a threat something on a surface might pose. He says it may theoretically count as a live virus in a lab setting, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is capable of infecting someone (as the traces on any surface would be very small).

He says is more concerned by human to human contact and interaction and that is probably where the real risk is coming from (that would be your aerosol spread plus physical contact).

Which is why mask wearing would be far more beneficial that endless hand washing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Seamai wrote: »
    "Little bit of sun" ??? It's been pissing down here in Cork all morning which is probably not a bad thing. Part of the problem is that those who are going against the social distancing advice know the worst they will get is a dressing down from a Garda which they will probably boast about to their friends afterwards. If people knew they were going to get fined maybe they'd think twice before behaving irresponsibly.

In Australia, if someone breaks the rules and regulations and restrictions there, they are fined 1000 dollars with no expectations.

Really, Ireland should be going down that route too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

jackboy wrote: »
    Which is why mask wearing would be far more beneficial that endless hand washing.

Very possibly, though he wasn't suggesting that people stop it or not wipe down surfaces etc

He merely thought that the risk from human to human contact was far higher and the one from surfaces and objects a bit overstated i.e. people being freaked out by their grocery items and even letters coming through the door.

jackboy wrote: »
    Almost anything you do on any day involves you touching things with your hands. On balance, that is a far more likely source than through the air. Cormican described the evidence as "weak" in favour of masks, except in very specific scenarios.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Occasional showers and gusty. The type of weather that would make you think twice about going for a walk (unless there's a pandemic going on, in which case it's off to the park or the beach for the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

fin12 wrote: »

Over 650,000 people have signed a petition saying China should be sued for 6 dollars and 50 cents

gabeeg wrote: »
    Over 650,000 people have signed a petition saying China should be sued for 6 dollars and 50 cents

6.5 trillion dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

is_that_so wrote: »
    Almost anything you do on any day involves you touching things with your hands. On balance, that is a far more likely source than through the air. Cormican described the evidence as "weak" in favour of masks, except in very specific scenarios.

He also said he would follow WHO protocol

THE WHO are looking at this policy at the moment and nay change it so he wont jump unless told to instead of getting ahead of the posse.

WHen asked last week they fudge the answers saying masks prevented spread and had protective element for health care

the reason behind that answer was lack of mask availability for general public

Just make then your self and wear them why wait and continue to social distance wash hand and socially isolate.

A maask is like a seat belt or anti lock breaks another precaution that beneifts outweigh negatives

khalessi wrote: »
    He also said he would follow WHO protocol

THE WHO are looking at this policy at the moment and nay change it so he wont jump unless told to instead of getting ahead of the posse.

WHen asked last week they fudge the answers saying masks prevented spread and had protective element for health care

the reason behind that answer was lack of mask availability for general public

Just make then your self and wear them why wait and continue to social distance wash hand and socially isolate.

A maask is like a seat belt or anti lock breaks another precaution that beneifts outweigh negatives
    It doesn't sound to me like it's a route they'll take but there's nothing to stop people doing so. Based on my own very rough numbers of people I've seen today, 10% would be high for those with masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Proof there is at least 650,000 idiots in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Xenji wrote: »
    Proof there is at least 650,000 idiots in the world.
    China should be made pay for the damage their virus caused

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Never ceases to amaze me the absolute idiocy of humanity at times... “Let’s focus on blaming somebody so we don’t have to take any responsibility for the way we have handled this crisis. Doesn’t matter it’s effectively a natural disaster, let’s hold the entire country of China accountable.”.

There is a pandemic sweeping around the world. Most countries are struggling to handle it. There is no vaccine and still an awful lot unknown about the virus. Economies have been shut down. People are being told to stay indoors. What should we do ?

“Let’s sue China because the disease came from that country.”

FFS. So a disease breaks out in Ireland because a farmer rides a pig, is Ireland responsible for that outbreak? It’s such a Xenophobic mindset, it’s no wonder we always end up waging stupid wars....

I can see it now when seas finally begin to rise due to melting ice caps and we’ve wasted decades not correcting our behavior.. “Well China burns more fossil fuels so they should be held more responsible then us”...

It’s one of the sad reasons why I have low faith in humanity. Lacks the capacity to really learn from its mistakes and makes the same ones over and over again. Politicising issues so there is no self reflection or acceptance of culpability on any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Drumpot wrote: »
    Never ceases to amaze me the absolute idiocy of humanity at times... “Let’s focus on blaming somebody so we don’t have to take any responsibility for the way we have handled this crisis. Doesn’t matter it’s effectively a natural disaster, let’s hold the entire country of China accountable.”.

There is a pandemic sweeping around the world. Most countries are struggling to handle it. There is no vaccine and still an awful lot unknown about the virus. Economies have been shut down. People are being told to stay indoors. What should we do ?

“Let’s sue China because the disease came from that country.”

FFS. So a disease breaks out in Ireland because a farmer rides a pig, is Ireland responsible for that outbreak? It’s such a Xenophon mindset, it’s no wonder we always end up waging stupid wars....

I can see it now when seas finally begin to rise due to melting ice caps and we’ve wasted decades not correcting our behavior.. “Well China burns more fossil fuels so they should be held more responsible then us”...

It’s one of the sad reasons why I have low faith in humanity. Lacks the capacity to really learn from its mistakes and makes the same ones over and over again. Politicising issues so there is no self reflection or acceptance of culpability on any level.
    are you from China

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement