Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Shn99 wrote: »
    Trump seems very very eager to get the country back to normal as soon as possible, IMO I reckon there could be a 2nd, and maybe worse peak.

I'd say there could be a lot of the American population still fairly clueless about this virus.

I would be worried about summer time here and importing potential cases from arrivals/tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

dasdog wrote: »
    If I was an American I would have so much more faith in Mike Pence being the commander in chief. He's not an insane megalomaniac.

He's a religious zealot though, just as bad as Trump

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

YFlyer wrote: »
    We all know that WHO was slow in calling the situation a pandemics. We also know that they were blowing up the Chinese hole. Saying that, the US were still slow to respond.

They stopped flights from China 27th January. When did Ireland stop flights from China / Italy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I couldn't care less about Trump, and get bored with the continual obsession with his faults, but everybody hates him. Equally, everyone seems to think Cuomo is brilliant, playing a blinder, should run for President etc.

Previous quotes like:

"I'm not well up on the US system, but is there ANY way the Dems could get Cuomo on the ticket at all?"

"Could listen to Cuomo talk all day. He's very good."

"Andrew Cuomo is the man they need to get in the game."

"If you want to know what’s really going on and some common sense being talked, just listen to Governor Cuomo of New York."
    "Don't count me surprised if we see Cuomo stepping into the 2020 race at the very last minute."

"Andrew Cuomo Mayor of New York showing how to act/speak as a leader in a time of crisis."

But everyone, including Cuomo, got it wrong. And that's fine. But when Trump gets it wrong, everyone goes back over everything he ever said. I get that, but it seems to be reserved for Trump, when he's not alone in getting it wrong.

In early March Cuomo told New Yorkers:

"Perspective here is important. And the facts, once you know the facts, once you know the reality, it is reassuring and we should relax because that's what dictated by the reality of the situation. I get the emotion, I understand it, I understand the anxiety. I'm a native born New Yorker, we live with anxiety. But, the facts don't back it up here.

Also, we're extrapolating from what happened in China and other countries. We have the best healthcare system in the world here. And excuse our arrogance as New Yorkers, I speak for the Mayor also on this one, we think we have the best healthcare system on the planet right here in New York. So, when you're saying what happened in other countries vs. what happened here, we don't even think it's going to be as bad as it was in other countries. We are fully coordinated, we are fully mobilized, this is all about mobilization of a public health system. Getting the testing done, getting the information out and then having the healthcare resources to treat people who are going to need help. Again, that is going to be primarily senior citizens, people who are debilitated. And we're going to have a special effort for our nursing homes, et cetera, congregate facilities where senior citizens are being treated.

And I can't thank our partners enough. Everybody is doing exactly what we need to do. We have been ahead of this from day one. From day one. It was a big break when the federal government allowed us to do our own testing because now we are actually in control of the systems ourselves. And as New Yorkers we like control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I hate repeating myself but unfortunately on a thread like this I have to. This pandemic started with 1 case in China 6 months ago.

Just 1 case can cause hundreds more to be infected indirectly if it gets into the community.

Once someome comes off a plane here they are in the community. How do you think they get to their place of residence?

Those who have downplayed our open borders right now have been proven wrong time and again during this pandemic.

In fact it worries me that people still don't understand the problem. Some even laugh it off or make a joke about it, forgetting that someone somewhere is going to end up in ICU because of these mistakes.

Then don’t.

You are doubting that air traffic into Ireland has greatly reduced. It has greatly reduced. Pretty much every plane I’ve looked closer at on Flightradar is a cargo plane. Though apparently pointing that out means one is an FG supporter. :confused:

I don’t know, do you think there should be NO flights into Ireland? Is there no reason good enough to be allowed back into the country?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

ceadaoin. wrote: »

What has that got to do with what he is saying in the press conference now and the crisis in general ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

statesaver wrote: »
    What has that got to do with what he is saying in the press conference now and the crisis in general ??

it was in response to the suggestion he would be a good president. He wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭dasdog

That may be the case but he is not out of his depth - the current leader is like a rabbit in the headlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

They stopped flights from China 27th January. When did Ireland stop flights from China / Italy ?

Complete lie and you know it. China USA flights continued for weeks and weeks after that date.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekeating/2020/03/12/italy-banned-flights-from-china-before-americait-didnt-work/#e93edce481ba

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2020/02/13/you-can-still-fly-us-to-china-if-you-need-to-go/#2f20751a637f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

kippy wrote: »
    Those who think we are at peak or plateau in terms of deaths doesn't understand numbers. We are a couple of weeks off it assuming reported infections stay at or below current numbers per day.

Have you anything to back up your analysis?

We are doing well. Its obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MD1990 wrote: »
    Trump "We are in great shape" . Leaves the room.

Mike Pence "We find ourselves in the midst of a tough week"

Seems to be Trumps strategy, spend 20 minutes telling the media how he is doing a great job then do a runner and leave Pence to deliver deaths and new cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

froog wrote: »
    I think there's zinc in some batteries? I'm off to lick a few anyway. What have i got to lose?

I could tell you were a bright spark:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Yeah, they didn't.

"279 flights from China have arrived in the U.S. since Trump's travel restrictions were announced, "and screening procedures have been uneven,""

When did he ban flights from Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ireland was slow as well. Still slow allowing ferries coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I have no idea what you mean by that

Very simple. Journeys are only supposed to be made for essentials. Vast vast majority of people shouldn’t need to use a major N road for those criteria.

owlbethere wrote: »
    I'd say there could be a lot of the American population still fairly clueless about this virus.

I would be worried about summer time here and importing potential cases from arrivals/tourists

My son is in Boston. He tells me that people are well clued-in. There's a curfew from 9pm until 7am. Don't judge all Americans on the basis of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

easypazz wrote: »
    Have you anything to back up your analysis?

We are doing well. Its obvious.

14 days ago the number of deaths for the day was 10.
    When announced the comments on this site were "OMG", "JEEZ","Now it's serious" etc.

Total deaths then were 19.

In the last 2 days a total of 51 people died and the total is now in excess of 230.
    Haven't seen any comments of horror about this.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    1917... He can't even get the year of that pandemic right...which we have all heard 1,000 times recently.

Getting confused with when they entered WW1 and if some of the research is to be believed started the train leading to the pandemic nine months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

USA will likely overtake both Spain and Italy in the next 24 hours as the country with the most deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

YFlyer wrote: »
    Ireland was slow as well. Still slow allowing ferries coming in.

Need to import/export stuff too, ferries and planes are handy for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Turkey and Brazil reporting numbers comparable to many of the large European countries now

Turkey today 4.1k new cases and almost 90 deaths
    Brazil 2.1k cases and 133 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

it was in response to the suggestion he would be a good president. He wouldn't
    You claim appears to be based on anti-religious prejudice rather than any evidence of incompetence or malfeasance in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Just watched some foreign news, trumps hydrosomething + zinc actually gave some good results
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7news.com/amp/coronavirus-drug-covid-19-malaria-hydroxychloroquine/6079864/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Polar101 wrote: »

Passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Can you explain it to us?

On phone, but essentially there is a percentage of people who catch the virus who will die unless a cure or better treatment is found.

If I catch the virus today, it may be 2-5weeks before my outcome is known.
    The deaths we are seeing now are generally from people who caught this 2-5 weeks ago.
    The numbers of confirmed cases we have seen in the past few days don't become part of the death statistics for a while yet.....
    In a nutshell and disregarding a few other variables.
    The more people that get it the more people die.
    The more of the confirmed cases exist in high risk areas the higher the toll etc.

Don't get me wrong. We are generally doing well on a few fronts just pointing out we are nowhere near peak or plateau deaths unfortunately.

Polar101 wrote: »

Non essential travel should have been restricted and enforced quarentine should have been set up as soon as cases started happening abroad based on risk assessments. They will definitely be in place as we move through the next month's and year and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Don't get me wrong. We are generally doing well on a few fronts just pointing out we are nowhere near peak or plateau deaths unfortunately.

Old Joke

Reminds me of that fella back home who fell off a ten-story building. As he was falling, people on each floor kept hearing him say, "So far, so good." Heh, so far, so good.

On phone, but essentially there is a percentage of people who catch the virus who will die unless a cure or better treatment is found.

If I catch the virus today, it may be 2-5weeks before my outcome is known.
    The deaths we are seeing now are generally from people who caught this 2-5 weeks ago.
    The numbers of confirmed cases we have seen in the past few days don't become part of the death statistics for a while yet.....
    In a nutshell and disregarding a few other variables.
    The more people that get it the more people die.
    The more of the confirmed cases exist in high risk areas the higher the toll etc.

This, at least, is true. But the more we can flatten the curve, the more people we can save. The virus is coming for every one of us. We just need to distract it and slow it down, so that we can protect people when they get it.

polesheep wrote: »
    This, at least, is true. But the more we can flatten the curve, the more people we can save. The virus is coming for every one of us. We just need to distract it and slow it down, so that we can protect people when they get it.

I don't disagree, am only trying to point out that we are not near peak/plateau in deaths per day and people really need to maintain a level of cop on with regards to their behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Then don’t.

You are doubting that air traffic into Ireland has greatly reduced. It has greatly reduced. Pretty much every plane I’ve looked closer at on Flightradar is a cargo plane. Though apparently pointing that out means one is an FG supporter. :confused:

I don’t know, do you think there should be NO flights into Ireland? Is there no reason good enough to be allowed back into the country?

Tell me specifically where I said flights into Ireland haven't reduced?

I have made it clear if there was only one flight into Ireland from a hotspot then anyone on that flight is at risk of being cv19 infected.

As for flight radar, do you watch it 24/7. Or like me do you check the Aer Lingus website for civilian passenger flights into Ireland? I know which is easier!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement