Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,869 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Where are the main places people can get infected?

Supermarket?

Yes, if we are all abiding by the restrictions, then the supermarket is the place where most of us need to be.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

easypazz wrote: »
    Have you anything to back up your analysis?

We are doing well. Its obvious.
    Obvious? How so?
    Presumably you have evidence to back up your analysis.

Where are the main places people can get infected?

Supermarket?

In hospitals / care home i'd say. I would not be surprised if the overwhelming majority of new cases (post 28th March) are Hospital / care home patients, healthcare and other hospital staff and the families / housemates/ close contacts of those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

tigger123 wrote: »
    This mornings Irish Times is saying the Leaving and Junior Cert will most probably be delayed.

Really feel for those kids, whole thing is stressful enough without this added uncertainty and it all dragging out for months.

Since I did my leaving many moons ago, the talk has been that the LC is unfair. I'm sure most posters can relate. Perhaps its no better time to try something new in terms of allocating university places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Gynoid wrote: »
    I know, I know, it's a crazy ol twitter account but feck me if people are waiting for the US to be saved from Trump by this blubbering, kid-sniffing mess.

I do not understand how in a country with so many brilliant people the choice is between Trump and this man...

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1247333355416219649?s=19

The best candidate pulled out yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭tigger123

SeaFields wrote: »
    Since I did my leaving many moons ago, the talk has been that the LC is unfair. I'm sure most posters can relate. Perhaps its no better time to try something new in terms of allocating university places.

Would be inclined to agree that it needs to be restructured, but all their going to do I think is delay it.

SeaFields wrote: »

If we had 18 months I'd agree, however a new system that was fair could not be setup and executed in just 6 months. The only fair system that could be implemented is lottery for places. Maybe with teachers certifying that applicant is capable of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

marilynrr wrote: »
    Irish funerals happen so quickly after someone dies that anyone flying in for a funeral wouldn't even be able to choose to self isolate for the required time that they should self isolate for.
    I'm sure there have already been people in this situation already in the past few weeks who have made the decision not to fly home to Ireland because they don't want to fly home from the UK or wherever and risk the chances of possibly passing the virus on to the rest of the immediate family members.

The way it is at the moment I believe only 10 immediate family members are allowed to attend a funeral. Some people have big families. That means that as it stands even some of the immediate family members living in Ireland right now wouldn't even be able to attend the funeral!
    Embalming can help here as long as the recently departed numbers dont over load the storage system apologies for want of a better phrase.
    I read somewhwere here or elswhere that one funeral of a covid case buried 2 weeks later possibly to faciltate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭kippy

easypazz wrote: »
    You keep saying we are not near peak but you never offer anything by way of evidence to back that up.

Read my last few posts, that's as much evidence as I can provide that we are not near peak of deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

kippy wrote: »
    Read my last few posts, that's as much evidence as I can provide that we are not near peak of deaths.

Cases have gone up significantly in the last week, so we probably aren't at peak deaths yet.

We maybe near peak cases shortly.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »
    I disagree, I believe we are in and around peak infections. Deaths cannot be used as a guideline due to the terrible nursing home issue. I agree with the latter part of your post; let's keep it going and gradually reduce restrictions as indicated.
    We may be at or near peak infections in this current cycle, but that's not the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So it’s looking like WHO will be recommending the wearing of masks but to follow proper procedures when removing them .. Simon Harris has said he will be reading the report this morning on the recommendations. Don’t have a link it was just said on Ireland AM.
    The wearing of masks has been down played all along and suddenly it’s to be recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

The supermarket has become a place I dread to go to from my peaceful wilderness. It is a horrible feeling to even subconciously distrust everything there, as if it might be covered in an invisible film of this basturd of a virus. And now Aalto University in Finland gives an illustration that backs the neurosis....gaaaahhhh! Damn you University!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The supermarket has become a place I dread to go to from my peaceful wilderness. It is a horrible feeling to even subconciously distrust everything there, as if it might be covered in an invisible film of this basturd of a virus. And now Aalto University in Finland gives an illustration that backs the neurosis....gaaaahhhh! Damn you University!

Maybe don't go actively seeking things to reinforce your neuroses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

harr wrote: »
    So it’s looking like WHO will be recommending the wearing of masks but to follow proper procedures when removing them .. Simon Harris has said he will be reading the report this morning on the recommendations. Don’t have a link it was just said on Ireland AM.
    The wearing of masks has been down played all along and suddenly it’s to be recommended.

Masks being thrown everywhere
    Supermarket car parks, along roads and paths
    I even spotted some in the canal yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

oh my oh my. last trip to supermarket circa a month ago man cough other end of aisle as I was about to turn into it. even though I had Ppe. I turned my trolley like a frighten hare and moved fast to far end of shop. So glad now. thanks

marilynrr wrote: »
    Irish funerals happen so quickly after someone dies that anyone flying in for a funeral wouldn't even be able to choose to self isolate for the required time that they should self isolate for.
    I'm sure there have already been people in this situation already in the past few weeks who have made the decision not to fly home to Ireland because they don't want to fly home from the UK or wherever and risk the chances of possibly passing the virus on to the rest of the immediate family members.

The way it is at the moment I believe only 10 immediate family members are allowed to attend a funeral. Some people have big families. That means that as it stands even some of the immediate family members living in Ireland right now wouldn't even be able to attend the funeral!

Yep. That's the reality as it stands.

Non essential travel (which when you look at it is the majority or travel) needs to be restricted for many months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I'll certainly continue to walk the footpaths with my family. Any numpty that wants a 2m separation is more than welcome to walk out into the road, with any luck a few will be mown down so we don't have to put up with their insufferably sh;te.

What a comment - you are a disgusting person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I know, I know, it's a crazy ol twitter account but feck me if people are waiting for the US to be saved from Trump by this blubbering, kid-sniffing mess.

I do not understand how in a country with so many brilliant people the choice is between Trump and this man...

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1247333355416219649?s=19

If everyone could just for a moment leave the personal attacks out of it, then I’d be very interested how, in the most powerful democracy in the world, it boiled down to a choice between two elderly unwell men. Seriously. If the Democrats hadn’t spent 4 years having a tantrum over Clinton not being elected and trying fruitlessly to oust Trump, they could have found at least 6 good young candidates.
    This is all down to the total mismanagement of the Dems and they will be held to account forever over it.
    There isn’t a feckin hope that Biden will be elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Keyzer wrote: »

Doesn’t it just go beyond basic human decency and morality?

People like face hugger are the very reason we will be in this for much longer than any of us want.

To actively ignore someone’s fear and to be so arrogant as to think s/he owns the footpath. How brave. How very in keeping with community spirit and responsibility.

Gemma O’Doherty-ing their way through this crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

speckle wrote: »
    oh my oh my. last trip to supermarket circa a month ago man cough other end of aisle as I was about to turn into it. even though I had Ppe. I turned my trolley like a frighten hare and moved fast to far end of shop. So glad now. thanks

Haha :) I just wish I had a big sword like Michonne when I am leaving the house. :D that would be my preferred pandemic ppe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Keyzer wrote: »

Facehugger99 has shown himself time after time to be a despicable human being

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

harr wrote: »

Because both the WHO and our government totally fecked this advice up... and now they are desperately trying to backtrack, without looking like the lemmings that they actually are!

The WHO, however, are still stubbornly sticking to their initial line, that masks do not protect the wearer from the virus. (Which experts in Asia will tell you is complete horsesh!t)

Had we been proactive with mask wearing in the beginning, like the Czechs for example, we could potentially have saved a lot of lives and had a better chance of getting this virus under control quicker. But our bunch of reactionary muppets in government, just don't have the foresight or common sense to be proactive in this way! :(

It would be great, if one day Ireland could lead the way instead of slavishly following along like braindead little sheep! Always looking for someone else to hold our hand, and tell us what to do... it's pathetic really. And it has certainly cost us many lives in this damn thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

splinter65 wrote: »
    If everyone could just for a moment leave the personal attacks out of it, then I’d be very interested how, in the most powerful democracy in the world, it boiled down to a choice between two elderly unwell men. Seriously. If the Democrats hadn’t spent 4 years having a tantrum over Clinton not being elected and trying fruitlessly to oust Trump, they could have found at least 6 good young candidates.
    This is all down to the total mismanagement of the Dems and they will be held to account forever over it.
    There isn’t a feckin hope that Biden will be elected.

The US is not a left wing country. The Democrats didn't decide on it, the people decided on Biden. There is a left wing core to the Democrats but they are fundamentally Fine Gael. However 3rd parties are effectively pointless so the left wing have to go to them or be pointless as the system is simply not advanced enough to allow nuances of public opinion.

They had good candidates. Several of them young. The people didn't vote for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Facehugger99 has shown himself time after time to be a despicable human being

Is he a relation of facekicker?

Because both the WHO and our government totally fecked this advice up... and now they are desperately trying to backtrack, without looking like the lemmings that they actually are!

The WHO, however, are still stubbornly sticking to their initial line, that masks do not protect the wearer from the virus. (Which experts in Asia will tell you is complete horsesh!t)

Had we been proactive with mask wearing in the beginning, like the Czechs for example, we could potentially have saved a lot of lives and had a better chance of getting this virus under control quicker. But our bunch of reactionary muppets in government, just don't have the foresight or common sense to be proactive in this way! :(

It would be great, if one day Ireland could lead the way instead of slavishly following along like braindead little sheep! Always looking for someone else to hold our hand, and tell us what to do... it's pathetic really. And it has certainly cost us many lives in this damn thing!

Ireland lead the way and has led the way in many areas in general.
    The masks thing looks purely like a priorities call.
    It's likely once there's enough stocked for medical and essential personel, the advice may change in order to relax some restrictions.

The critical thing we messed up on was in FEB and March when we should have restricted international travel and strictly quarentined those returning from hotspots but when you see people complaining now you can bet there would have been uproar then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Masks being thrown everywhere
    Supermarket car parks, along roads and paths
    I even spotted some in the canal yesterday
    I mean I try to not see the negatives in everything but sometimes you have to think "People can be awful pr*cks"

It doesn't take much to just take your rubbish home. But nah, just drop it wherever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Worztron

Is it likely that a statement on a lockdown extension is coming soon?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kippy wrote: »
    Ireland lead the way and has led the way in many areas in general.
    The masks thing looks purely like a priorities call.
    It's likely once there's enough stocked for medical and essential personel, the advice may change in order to relax some restrictions.

The critical thing we messed up on was in FEB and March when we should have restricted international travel and strictly quarentined those returning from hotspots but when you see people complaining now you can bet there would have been uproar then.
    The masks are a "weak evidence" call. Enforced quarantine is really not what we do. They all had that 14 day advisory and one would imagine many did. The aim seems to have been proportional response at the right time. I recall the CMO saying that quarantines don't work as well as distancing and of course contact tracing. The latest mood music is on getting the disease to behave as they want, which from the description appears to be a very low transmission rate in tandem with testing and aggressive contact tracing.

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »
    Is it likely that a statement on a lockdown extension is coming soon?

I’d say it will happen on Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement