Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Worztron wrote: »
    Is it likely that a statement on a lockdown extension is coming soon?
    Comments from the CMO suggests it won't be lifted but that will be confirmed by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Worztron wrote: »
    Is it likely that a statement on a lockdown extension is coming soon?

Yes

Has Michael D Higgins made a national broadcast yet? I know he made an address on all regional radio stations early last week or the week before but has there been a tv broadcast by our president?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

YFlyer wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the Staff members in UL today. The bed set up at the University Sports Arena is been carried out.

Any indication when they expect to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It would be great, if one day Ireland could lead the way instead of slavishly following along like braindead little sheep! Always looking for someone else to hold our hand, and tell us what to do... it's pathetic really. And it has certainly cost us many lives in this damn thing!
    I'd love to live in your world of everything being simple and black and white.

Wearing a mask isn't going to solve this, the same as getting rid of Paddys day, or closing pubs, or social distancing, or 2km restrictions, and all the other things people have been asking for.

Potentially as many people wearing masks are going to infect themselves by touching their faces repeatedly, or by getting cocky and assuming they don't have to distance themselves. No public health doctor is going to make a decision without knowing more about how the disease spreads, and those decisions are based on science - not Twitter or WhatsApp.

I imagine there's probably some people who are now terrified to go shopping because they don't have a mask, not realising that their risk really hasn't changed - most cloth masks provide little protection, and are mostly about reducing the risk you infect other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Nice bit of straight talking. This is how it's done Claire Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

No reports on Borris this morning I hope he is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

hmmm wrote: »

Wearing a mask isn't going to solve this, the same as getting rid of Paddys day, or closing pubs, or social distancing, or 2km restrictions, and all the other things people have been asking for.

Potentially as many people wearing masks are going to infect themselves by touching their faces repeatedly, or by getting cocky and assuming they don't have to distance themselves. No public health doctor is going to make a decision without knowing more about how the disease spreads, and those decisions are based on science - not Twitter or WhatsApp.

I imagine there's probably some people who are now terrified to go shopping because they don't have a mask, not realising that their risk really hasn't changed - most cloth masks provide little protection, and are mostly about reducing the risk you infect other people.
    I believe the main benefit of the masks would be the infected not spreading the disease as easily, as opposed to protecting the mask-wearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Do you think it’s feasible or reasonable to completely halt civilian air travel into the country? Or any other mode of transport, for that matter? Like for example, immediate relatives are still allowed at funerals. Somebody’s parent dies suddenly (of anything, not necessarily covid) and they’re living abroad - they shouldn’t be allowed into the country to attend? Just screw ‘em?

I’m deeply uncomfortable with the thought of people being judged for something like that. I’m one of the immunocompromised people people are supposed to be defending. But that also means that I’ve given my funeral a lot of thought in the last few years. I’d hate the thought of my family not being there. Or of anybody not being able to attend the funeral of a very close loved one and busybodies thinking it’s their business.

We could ban travel for frivolous reasons. Cutting down greatly will still help a lot just like social distancing will never happen 100% of the time but doing it as much as possible will help. But there are still good reasons why some people need to come home and they should be allowed.

How is this a good idea? A person returns from New York or London, may or may not be covid19 positive, attends a funeral and infects everyone there. This is irresponsible.

I appreciate the situation you are in. But would you want those attending the funeral to be infected? This is the reason for the ban on large numbers attending.

If people want to come home, yes they should be allowed. If they want to come on a quick visit from a hotspot, no thanks. Stay put. In Ireland we can't go 2km down the road to visit parents of relatives. So why should someone be allowed come 3000 miles from New York for example with zero checks. It makes no sense.

If they want to come home, they need to quarantine, in a hotel near the airport. This is common sense. If they are infected and brought into the community, things could go south quickly.

Our laissez faire attitude to borders has already been very costly in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Saw an aufella shopping with a mask and he kept pulling it down to speak to his wife....therefore rendering it useless and a vessel for infecting his hands by touching it anyway. People....I just despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Longing

Sadly today highest increase in numbers affected in China this month.

Our lives will no be going back to normal anytime soon

Babooshka wrote: »
    Saw an aufella shopping with a mask and he kept pulling it down to speak to his wife....therefore rendering it useless and a vessel for infecting his hands by touching it anyway. People....I just despair.
    Have seen this behaviour numerous times, especially when the mask seems to have got too hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Babooshka wrote: »

Its utterly pointless, the vast majority of people I've seen with masks either keep touching them and moving them around, taking them down to talk to people or have one resting on the chin and having a smoke. Likewise people wearing gloves going in and out of the shops and basically not practising hand hygiene as the gloves make them think their invisible.

I'm sure all the posters who keep posting about masks etc will come out with a counter argument but fact of the matter is that they're just so alien to Europeans that people dont and wont use them correctly. No point in referencing Asian countries as they've always worn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

kippy wrote: »
    Ireland lead the way and has led the way in many areas in general.
    The masks thing looks purely like a priorities call.
    It's likely once there's enough stocked for medical and essential personel, the advice may change in order to relax some restrictions.

The critical thing we messed up on was in FEB and March when we should have restricted international travel and strictly quarentined those returning from hotspots but when you see people complaining now you can bet there would have been uproar then.

I don't know how you can say Ireland led the way. We waited for the WHO and the EU before making any decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Longing wrote: »

Dont pay attention to china. They've quite clearly lied about figures since the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

That took me a few goes,

And I'm still not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

or have one resting on the chin and having a smoke.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Longing

Dont pay attention to china. They've quite clearly lied about figures since the start

I have no doubt about that. This news footage shows whats really is happening inside China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGnq7854jTo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'd love to live in your linear static state world. Basically more cases = more risk. Sorry if you can't see that.
    So comparing going shopping this week versus two weeks ago it is more dangerous statistically. I there 3X more cases today then there were 2 weeks ago the probability of encountering someone who is infected / carrying / or is asymptomatic has increased too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

is_that_so wrote: »
    Have seen this behaviour numerous times, especially when the mask seems to have got too hot!

I've seen loads of people with the mask pulled down around their chin. Some wearing it but not over their nose for some reason. I even seen a guy wearing surgical gloves with a mask pulled down around his chin, having a smoke. How do they not realise they are rendering the masks and gloves useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Its utterly pointless, the vast majority of people I've seen with masks either keep touching them and moving them around, taking them down to talk to people or have one resting on the chin and having a smoke. Likewise people wearing gloves going in and out of the shops and basically not practising hand hygiene as the gloves make them think their invisible.

I'm sure all the posters who keep posting about masks etc will come out with a counter argument but fact of the matter is that they're just so alien to Europeans that people dont and wont use them correctly. No point in referencing Asian countries as they've always worn them.

If worn and used correctly they are a great help and will save lives. The state should be running a campaign to encourage and show people how to use them properly. Everyone knows about the social distancing rules now time to devote some time towards this measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Sadly I believe you could be right.

From what I am hearing there are lots of people thinking things will be back to normal "in a few weeks."

Our only hope at present is successful use of an anti viral drug.

Vaccine realistically 12 -18 months away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I've seen loads of people with the mask pulled down around their chin. Some wearing it but not over their nose for some reason. I even seen a guy wearing surgical gloves with a mask pulled down around his chin, having a smoke. How do they not realise they are rendering the masks and gloves useless.

They are more often worn as an expensive fashion accessory than as a mask or gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It would be great, if one day Ireland could lead the way instead of slavishly following along like braindead little sheep! Always looking for someone else to hold our hand, and tell us what to do... it's pathetic really. And it has certainly cost us many lives in this damn thing!

What I've learned from all of this is that some are just a bit slow on the uptake. Whether they be governments or individuals. Generally having a sit on the fence, lets wait and see, sure it'll be grand attitude to everything in life is an advantage. Not ruffling feathers , status quo observing is very important in day to day living.

• we didn't want to ban parade to ruffle business lobbies feathers and appeased them by keeping the airports and pubs open.
    • we didn't want to ruffle the EU feathers by closing the borders. We had to wait for about 10 other countries to do it first before we had the courage to do so.

List goes on.

In a pandemic all bets are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I've also seen people with masks not doing these things. I have seen people walking around just wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Where are the main places people can get infected?

Supermarket?

I would think if this was the case there’d be a big surge in shop workers. Social distancing must be working very well which is great

BanditLuke wrote: »
    If worn and used correctly they are a great help and will save lives. The state should be running a campaign to encourage and show people how to use them properly. Everyone knows about the social distancing rules now time to devote some time towards this measure.

There’s just one problem - there’s no masks to be found anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

By the no mask logic none of us should wear seatbelts because somebody I saw once didn't wear it right. So now nobody should wear seatbelts as they are too complicated.

The Guardian have a 100 day collection of articles on COVID-19. This one is interesting in terms of where it might have spread from.
    Holding hands, kissing, sharing drinks from the same glass all helped spread the virus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/the-cluster-effect-how-social-gatherings-were-rocket-fuel-for-coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

BanditLuke wrote: »

agree, once masks are readily available, a supply should be issued to each household and everyone should wear them out shopping, I am sure most are intelligent enough to be able to use them correctly for the 30 minutes they are in the shops. I would certainly feel more confident in a shop if everybody had a mask, I know its not fool proof but has to help if still taking the usual precautions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement