Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

People can't stay at home all the time. Sometimes they need to buy food.Obviously staying at home is effective.

We will all be wearing them soon enough.

You are completely missing the seatbelt point by the way.
    I doubt we will be wearing them as the NEPHT/CMO position is very clear on it.
    No, I'm not missing the point, we have lots and lost of evidence about them. For masks we have beliefs, suppositions and "weak evidence". Other factors work a lot more effectively.

If they are such a key element in fighting this why do so few countries have it as mandatory policy to wear them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

is_that_so wrote: »
    I doubt we will be wearing them as the NEPHT/CMO position is very clear on it.
    No, I'm not missing the point, we have lots and lost of evidence about them. For masks we have beliefs, suppositions and "weak evidence". Other factors work a lot more effectively.

If they are such a key element in fighting this why do so few countries have it as mandatory policy to wear them?

WHy do the countries that mandate have such low levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I don't know how you can say Ireland led the way. We waited for the WHO and the EU before making any decision.

I wasn't specifically speaking about this situation.

khalessi wrote: »
    WHy do the countries that mandate have such low levels?
    Because they implemented wide-scale testing , aggressive contact tracing, isolation of cases and social distancing. Some of them went into the quarantine business as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,688 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He is just looking to say something controversial and people keep taking the bait. Ignore him.

Possibly but we have also seen the absolute wastes of skin and oxegen that are in Ireland recently. Theres no reason to think he isnt part of that either.

The type that laughs and coughs in the face of Gardai, the kind of wasters who flock to the pub/beach at times like this, or the parents who "raise" the under-18's to be murderers or drug dealers. Ireland has a major scum problem and the scum are reveling in this.

No doubt if not facehugger there are certain scum enjoying this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Ficheall wrote: »
    I believe the main benefit of the masks would be the infected not spreading the disease as easily, as opposed to protecting the mask-wearer.

These are the untruths you and all of us were fed from the beginning... masks actually do offer two-way protection.

I wouldn't be listening to the WHO on this one at all... they are currently doing a massive 180 on this... but they are turning like the big bloated out of date behemoth that they are!
    Babooshka wrote: »
    Saw an aufella shopping with a mask and he kept pulling it down to speak to his wife....therefore rendering it useless and a vessel for infecting his hands by touching it anyway. People....I just despair.

How is it useless, just because he occasionally removes it? That doesn't make sense... he is still protected better than you when he puts it back over his mouth and nose!

And you have to wash your hands anyway, so touching the mask is not a problem so long as you don't touch your face directly afterwards. Touching the mask is essentially no different to touching the groceries that he's buying. Just don't touch your face after either.
    By the no mask logic none of us should wear seatbelts because somebody I saw once didn't wear it right. So now nobody should wear seatbelts as they are too complicated.

Exactly... people are using very flawed logic for not wearing something that could make a significant difference to the spread of this virus.

Many Asian doctors rank face masks as being just as important as washing your hands... And I'm going with their advice over the WHO.

It's actually common sense, that a properly fitted mask should give you a measure of protection against inhaling something into your lungs. How much protection is debatable - but any protection is better than no protection. And that should be the criteria that we are all working from!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Day 25 of f*cking FOREVER in this ****....

World ending.... f*ck this sh!t ... lockdown not working ... economy collapsing ....

load of donkey bollix

Because they implemented wide-scale testing , aggressive contact tracing, isolation of cases and social distancing. Some of them went into the quarantine business as well.

Correct and also masks

Now why if we are following them on everyting else dont we recommend masks?

Maybe because of the shortage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

pjohnson wrote: »
    Possibly but we have also seen the absolute wastes of skin and oxegen that are in Ireland recently. Theres no reason to think he isnt part of that either.

The type that laughs and coughs in the face of Gardai, the kind of wasters who flock to the pub/beach at times like this, or the parents who "raise" the under-18's to be murderers or drug dealers. Ireland has a major scum problem and the scum are reveling in this.

No doubt if not facehugger there are certain scum enjoying this.

I've been wondering about this. I wouldnt call myself well read on the drugs trade but I'd imagine with pubs and clubs closed its is taking a major hit. I know there are 'dependents' buying more than ever but surely the biggest market is the social users, no?

In any case, their sales are down and they aren't getting government assistance. Reveling? I wouldnt think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

World ending.... f*ck this sh!t ... lockdown not working ... economy collapsing ....

load of donkey bollix

Cant argue with any of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hrududu wrote: »
    I mean I try to not see the negatives in everything but sometimes you have to think "People can be awful pr*cks"

It doesn't take much to just take your rubbish home. But nah, just drop it wherever you want.

It’s times like these that you realise just how many self entitled ignoramuses live among us. The globe is destroyed with the fcukers.
    Anyone caught taking off gloves and throwing them on the ground should have both of their arms broken with a baseball bat.
    That wouldn’t be long learning them.
    We live on a quiet country road here and people have it destroyed from throwing rubbish out of their cars.we clean it several times a year and it’s just a waste of time.
    I bet they keep their own little garden clean though the fcukers.
    I’ve grown to hate most of society in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,172 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

USA and Russia going off into Space, is there tests going on with Apes?

f7de7a91-1b39-400d-af95-65338d074d9f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

The idea warmer weather might stop the coronavirus seems to have faded as the virus has spread around the globe. But could new research contain a glimmer of hope?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Back in work today. Still no results since the 24th but approved by my consultant to come back as I'm needed in pathology.

First day back and free Easter eggs for all hospital staff from he HSE.. medium malteaser ones too ! Ha

They didn't need you at all, just wanted to make sure you didn't miss out on your Easter egg. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1248178203425939456?s=19

As expected restrictions to continue. The different terrain you could only assume would be a gradual easing, harris has said all along you can't have these restrictions long term.

I would assume these stay until after May bank holiday. Couldn't lift them before that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

load of donkey bollix

okay dokey!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The idea warmer weather might stop the coronavirus seems to have faded as the virus has spread around the globe. But could new research contain a glimmer of hope?

That was only ever a theory, had no proof behind it other than likelihood, but then again SARS died off in JUly, so it may happen. And who knows, maybe the warmer weather is having effect, maybe the current spread would be much worse if the weather was cold right now

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

They didn't need you at all, just wanted to make sure you didn't miss out on your Easter egg. :pac:

Oh yeah facts! Haha and my consultant told me herself she was sure I was positive but didn't have a temp in 7 days only thing I have left is the headaches so I was cleared to come back !

I've been off milk chocolate for 8 weeks so I am deffo having it later haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

European centre for disease control advise..useful for crowded places https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/using-face-masks-community-reducing-covid-19-transmission

CDC in the US also recommends face covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

USA and Russia going off into Space, is there tests going on with Apes?

f7de7a91-1b39-400d-af95-65338d074d9f.jpg

We should donate them a few of our “100 + previous conviction,long term unemployed pond rats”to blast into space.
    Spare the poor monkeys.
    Win win

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    Correct and also masks

NO why if we are following them on everything else don't we recommend masks?

Maybe because of the shortage?
    The Germans have not used masks, nor has Norway or Denmark and Austria only very belatedly came to it. Asians routinely wear masks so are not a good example.

The message from NEPHT/DoH is "weak evidence", which is why they haven't advocated in favour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

As expected restrictions to continue. The different terrain you could only assume would be a gradual easing, harris has said all along you can't have these restrictions long term.

I would assume these stay until after May bank holiday. Couldn't lift them before that

Does anyone expect restrictions to be lifted on Monday? They'd be doing front-liners a major favour if they just got on with extending and announcing it, even if for one more week for the moment.

With it being a bank holiday it might cause those thinking of visiting friends or going down the country to think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

wakka12 wrote: »
    That was only ever a theory, had no proof behind it other than likelihood, but then again SARS died off in JUly, so it may happen. And who knows, maybe the warmer weather is having effect, maybe the current spread would be much worse if the weather was cold right now

It's too early to know for sure whether the new coronavirus is seasonal. To really know that, we'd have to watch how cases change in one place across the year.
    But we can look at its spread in different climates across the world for clues.

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The Germans have not used masks, nor has Norway or Denmark and Austria only very belatedly came to it. Asians routinely wear masks so are not a good example.

The message from NEPHT/DoH is "weak evidence", which is why they haven't advocated in favour of it.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/using-face-masks-community-reducing-covid-19-transmission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

As expected restrictions to continue. The different terrain you could only assume would be a gradual easing, harris has said all along you can't have these restrictions long term

There'll likely be a gradual rewinding of restrictions.
    Who knows how long it will take or how far it can go.

I think we'll need large scale dependable testing regime and a large network of contact tracers in place before we can even consider opening the likes of schools or pubs

Does anyone expect restrictions to be lifted on Monday? They'd be doing front-liners a major favour if they just got on with extending and announcing it, even if for one more week for the moment.

With it being a bank holiday it might cause those thinking of visiting friends or going down the country to think again.
    Probably an extra 1-2 weeks extension coming, more likely two.

load of donkey bollix

Stay strong, hector. Stay strong! I’m rooting for you.

Now, what’s your soccer knowledge like? I need help with a competition. Your tech knowledge too. Go over to Forum games. You need a distraction.

You better tell the government about the Asians as they seem to be following their lead on everything else.

Also the encouragement of wearing masks could result in relaxation of restrictions quicker as everyone moves around in their everyday lives

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Im gonna tot up all the loss of earnings and send an invoice to the Chinese embassy, I know they'll ignore it, but the symbolism of it - everyone should do it ....

• Advertisement

speckle wrote: »
    okay dokey!

He’s in Spain, speckle. Cut him some slack :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement