Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lots of mays and coulds and all sorts of other cautious language in there, i.e. "weak evidence".
    The use of face masks in the community should be considered only as a complementary measure

• Registered Users Posts: 22,172 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We should donate them a few of our “100 + previous conviction,long term unemployed pond rats”to blast into space.
    Spare the poor monkeys.
    Win win

Ahh i was trying to be smart and reference Planet of the Apes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

We'll be in a beer garden by the end of June lads it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

From about a month ago all we read in this thread is how we are 2 weeks behind Italy, 2 weeks 2 weeks. Well it looks like Italy reached their peak death rate 2 weeks ago tomorrow, does this not also point to us reaching our peak in the next week. I know they had a more severe lockdown, although a few do debate this but i also think their initial numbers were far higher than us to begin with which gave us a huge advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Sure. But the pub will be shut and the guards will be along to send yiz home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Im gonna tot up all the loss of earnings and send an invoice to the Chinese embassy, I know they'll ignore it, but the symbolism of it - everyone should do it ....

Bill them for all the wildlife they poached and endangered down the years all in the name of medicine the fcukin idiots.
    They can’t take a paracetamol like the rest of us the gormless fools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

gabeeg wrote: »
    There'll likely be a gradual rewinding of restrictions.
    Who knows how long it will take or how far it can go.

I think we'll need large scale dependable testing regime and a large network of contact tracers in place before we can even consider opening the likes of schools or pubs

We'll need home testing kits, basically... with very quick turnaround in results. And I think there are some prototypes that have been produced already.

There's no way that a large proportion of our workforce can return to normal life, without fixing the ridiculous farce that is our testing regime... it's a ****-show!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ahh i was trying to be smart and reference Planet of the Apes :pac:

Yeah, I got the reference. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

My birthday is in June, it’s usually all good so I’m confident it will be as I’m very lucky

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Results of a German study
    For the “Covid-19 case cluster study”, scientists from the university of Bonn went back to the town that saw the first two fatalities from the virus in Germany and interviewed and tested 1,000 residents. Researchers are also trying to work out exactly how the virus got transmitted at a carnival eventin the area on 15 February.

After analysing around half of the tests, the study’s director, Prof Hendrick Streeck said on Thursday morning that 14% of the population in the area had developed immunity after contracting the novel coronavirus. Previous estimated had put the infection rate at only around 5%.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/09/coronavirus-live-news-global-cases-uk-us-usa-worst-daily-death-toll-latest-updates

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    This is a false analogy as seatbelts are shown to save lives, masks, except in certain circumstances, are not. Wear one if you choose.

Except that is a deliberate mistruth. You may not agree with people wearing masks or you may think that they should be kept for front line workers. It doesn't change the science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

We'll need home testing kits, basically... with very quick turnaround in results. And I think there are some prototypes that have been produced already.

There's no way that a large proportion of our workforce can return to normal life, without fixing the ridiculous farce that is our testing regime... it's a ****-show!

The concept of home testing kits sounds great to me, but the enormous batch the UK bought were all faulty. Every single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Does anyone expect restrictions to be lifted on Monday? They'd be doing front-liners a major favour if they just got on with extending and announcing it, even if for one more week for the moment.

With it being a bank holiday it might cause those thinking of visiting friends or going down the country to think again.

Nobody thinks there'll lift anything on monday nor will they. As it says expected to be extended for weeks and I'd suspect until after the May bank holiday to stop travel around the country

BanditLuke wrote: »
    You may be required to when you leave your residence sooner than you think.

Does anyone know where masks are available currently?

I have a reasonable confidence that by not wearing a mask to the supermarket that I will not increase my risk of catching it to any appreciable degree. However, we should think of it more of the risk to other people if we do have it, in which case if you assume everyone has it, and everyone wears a mask, community transmission is stopped dead in its tracks

splinter65 wrote: »
    If the Democrats hadn’t spent 4 years having a tantrum over Clinton not being elected and trying fruitlessly to oust Trump, they could have found at least 6 good young candidates.

They had Beto, Kamala Harris, Mayor Pete, Cory Booker, all young capable candidates, but they just didn't get the votes. Can't really blame the Democrat party for that, short of manipulating the primary system there's not much they can do. A large portion of Democrats, particularly we are told the African American community, want Uncle Joe.
    What can you do? It's a democratic vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭josip

Day 25 of f*cking FOREVER in this ****....

World ending.... f*ck this sh!t ... lockdown not working ... economy collapsing ....

load of donkey bollix

Look on the bright side Hector, Nadal might not win anything this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

European centre for disease control advise..useful for crowded places https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/using-face-masks-community-reducing-covid-19-transmission

CDC in the US also recommends face covering.

CDC ECDC whatever. I don't know if you know but we have a CMO and he's a pretty big deal. He says they don't work so yeah don't believe the fake news. (sarcasm).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Does anyone know where masks are available currently?

I have a reasonable confidence that by not wearing a mask to the supermarket that I will increase my risk of catching it to any appreciable degree. However, we should think of it more of the risk to other people if we do have it, in which case if you assume everyone has it, and everyone wears a mask, community transmission is stopped dead in its tracks

Exactly, it is likely it won't protect you but will stop you spreading to others. When a disease has so many asymptomatic people i cannot understand the resistance to wearing them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There’s just one problem - there’s no masks to be found anywhere.

Check Supervalu my local one has a constant supply of them for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Except that is a deliberate mistruth. You may not agree with people wearing masks or you may think that they should be kept for front line workers. It doesn't change the science.

A YouTube video is not science, links to credible peer-reviewed papers is. I'm not sure why you continually feel a need to hold me to task over the NEPHT policy. They do not advocate it but that doesn't stop you or others wearing them. I believe there is a comfort in it. From my own "research" I see 10%, at most, wearing masks but I see almost everyone practising social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭josip

You've got your very own beer garden until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The only reason they’re not recommending the wearing of masks is because many of the general public don’t have any. They’re trying to avoid panic.

Yes, you’re better off wearing a mask, but if people don’t act the boll0cks, and follow the guidelines regarding social distancing you’ll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Its working out so well for the US too.
    Flights are an absolute red herring at this stage. Yes it came in originally from Italy/UK/Netherlands/Austria..., however at this stage it is everywhere. If 1 hundred people come in on a flight, and 5 are ill, and 1 of those chooses not to self isolate, it is not going to make a difference as there are probably thousands of people who have it and dont know.
    What people dont understand is that the restrictions are not designed to stop transmission, just reduce the opportunity for transmission. If 90% + of the population adhere to the restrictions, the virus in those that dont will very quickly run out of people to infect. When those monitoring the data notice that reduction they will likely leave an additional 2 weeks to confirm that it is holding, and then ease restrictions to pre March 28th levels and monitor. It will then be a continuous cycle of monitor and revise with easing and tightening as the data shifts until this is beaten / vaccine deployed.
    And no one except the most essential will be flying anywhere for close to 6 months i'd imagine

Red herring ? But the virus came in on a flight ....only one undetected or should I say unsuspecting carrier can restart the whole thing all over again

Even with community transmission the current laissez faerie attitude to visitors shouldn’t be allowed to continue

So what’s the point in all this if we can’t manage our visitors and with the current reduced numbers even easier to implement now

I recall a couple of weeks back all the stranded UK holidaymakers in Spain caught in the middle of an outbreak and not being allowed to get on a plane without a medical preclearance ( negative test)

China, South Korea, Taiwan , Russia to name a few are all screening airport arrivals

Trump is a law onto himself but he did make the call to ban flights against the perceived wisdom of the WHO so I will give him some credit for this action

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    Lots of mays and coulds and all sorts of other cautious language in there, i.e. "weak evidence".

I agree its far from convincing, backed up by the wording saying that the evidence is weak.

But sure you've got posters on here who think they know better than health authorities and could stamp out this virus here.

No point in arguing with them, it's a losing battle, you'll be called a blue shirt, spin, bot etc the list is endless. I'm not bothered arguing with them anymore.

People need to follow the guidelines, wash their hands, keep their distance, dont be going out for non essential reasons and that'll all limit the spread, people just need to not be stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

The social-media bandwagon around masks continues.

I certainly won't be wearing one.

No one cares less if you wear a pair of y fronts on your face.

These are the untruths you and all of us were fed from the beginning... masks actually do offer two-way protection.

I wouldn't be listening to the WHO on this one at all... they are currently doing a massive 180 on this... but they are turning like the big bloated out of date behemoth that they are!

How is it useless, just because he occasionally removes it? That doesn't make sense... he is still protected better than you when he puts it back over his mouth and nose!

And you have to wash your hands anyway, so touching the mask is not a problem so long as you don't touch your face directly afterwards. Touching the mask is essentially no different to touching the groceries that he's buying. Just don't touch your face after either.

Exactly... people are using very flawed logic for not wearing something that could make a significant difference to the spread of this virus.

Many Asian doctors rank face masks as being just as important as washing your hands... And I'm going with their advice over the WHO.

It's actually common sense, that a properly fitted mask should give you a measure of protection against inhaling something into your lungs. How much protection is debatable - but any protection is better than no protection. And that should be the criteria that we are all working from!

Face masks are very important to prevent the wearer from getting infected where social distancing cannot be maintained - in the healthcare environment being the primary one. However, where we have social distancing wearing a mask does not give you much additional protection. What it does do is prevent the wearer from spreading. If the message changes to mandate / encourage wearing of a mask in public, we may be told its to protect ourselves to appeal to our self interest. But the real reason will be to ensure asymptomatic carries are not passing it on.
    I believe it should be encouraged / mandated in supermarkets / workplaces etc. by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Now that the Wuhan lockdown has been released, Beijing authorities have prepared a welcome committee for people getting off trains coming from Wuhan ...

https://twitter.com/caixin/status/1248178994668699648

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

josip wrote: »
    You've got your very own beer garden until then.

And after a few beers you can p1ss in your own beer garden and you won’t be thrown out.lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ficheall wrote: »
    I believe the main benefit of the masks would be the infected not spreading the disease as easily, as opposed to protecting the mask-wearer.

And with asymptomatic people who don't know they have it, we should all be wearing masks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement