Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Bob24 wrote: »
    Now that the Wuhan lockdown has been released, Beijing authorities have prepared a welcome committee for people getting off trains coming from Wuhan ...

https://twitter.com/caixin/status/1248178994668699648

Now that’s proactive

Maybe instead of giving the a Police all the extra powers every village and town in the country should greet new visitors like this

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From RTE feed.
    To support its battered economy Poland will ease some restrictions aimed at fighting the coronavirus after Easter, Deputy Health Minister Waldemar Kraska said.

And this from Gabriel Scally
    Dr Gabriel Scally, Professor of Public Health at the University of Bristol, said the decision on when to start easing restrictions will be a difficult one.

That decision will depend on the number of new cases, he said.

"Once that number falls and clusters are dealt with, I think that is probably the time, but that's for the modellers to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

friend of mine who runs a b&B in donegal had a backpacker looking for a room 2 days ago !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    A YouTube video is not science, links to credible peer-reviewed papers is. I'm not sure why you continually feel a need to hold me to task over the NEPHT policy. They do not advocate it but that doesn't stop you or others wearing them. I believe there is a comfort in it. From my own "research" I see 10%, at most, wearing masks but I see almost everyone practising social distancing.

You said that seat belts have been proven to protect people and that masks are unproven. Masks and by that I mean respirators have been proven to protect the wearer. (hence their use in hospitals). The video clearly references various studies. I could find the links and post them etc but would probably told that's a bad paper. There are meta studies etc. Science is clear. This is unrelated to the shortage.

That's all nothing more. Here's the definition of a mistruth for you to prevent any further confusion. Thanks for sharing results of you research, I'm sure it is on a comparable level with both the centre for disease control and the European centre for disease control.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mistruth
    • No need to try muddy the waters
    • Confound surgical masks and respirators
    • Risks if worn improperly or taken off properly

I get it, you get it. Let's agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

So do we know if New York will report the home deaths as part of its official deaths or just only count hospital deaths and report home deaths as a separate figure. They have seen a massive spike of people dead when emergency services arrive. One worries that this could be more than just New York hiding a lot of deaths from this.

The more I see of other countries data gathering the better our numbers look. If we are counting nursing home deaths then simply put most countries should be higher on the per capita deaths than they are claiming in comparison to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

beolight wrote: »
    Now that’s proactive

Maybe instead of giving the a Police all the extra powers every village and town in the country should greet new visitors like this

The ports and airports should, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Back in work today. Still no results since the 24th but approved by my consultant to come back as I'm needed in pathology.

First day back and free Easter eggs for all hospital staff from he HSE.. medium malteaser ones too ! Ha

Joke of a testing system.

Nursing home staff are also complaining of not getting results back.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

What I've learned from all of this is that some are just a bit slow on the uptake. Whether they be governments or individuals. Generally having a sit on the fence, lets wait and see, sure it'll be grand attitude to everything in life is an advantage. Not ruffling feathers , status quo observing is very important in day to day living.

• we didn't want to ban parade to ruffle business lobbies feathers and appeased them by keeping the airports and pubs open.
    • we didn't want to ruffle the EU feathers by closing the borders. We had to wait for about 10 other countries to do it first before we had the courage to do so.

List goes on.

In a pandemic all bets are off.

Bumping this so more people will read it

Hopefully someone will tell Leo or his PR guy

It's too early to know for sure whether the new coronavirus is seasonal. To really know that, we'd have to watch how cases change in one place across the year.
    But we can look at its spread in different climates across the world for clues.

Daylight may be a bigger impact in the long run. Maybe release tonnes of CFC into the atmosphere to deplete the ozone and kill the virus :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Back in work today. Still no results since the 24th but approved by my consultant to come back as I'm needed in pathology.

First day back and free Easter eggs for all hospital staff from he HSE.. medium malteaser ones too ! Ha

NOW I GET IT!! This was all a ploy by healthcare workers to be given free pizzas, free Easter eggs, and free parking!! And free PPE!!! I'm on to you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

He’s in Spain, speckle. Cut him some slack :)

was meant as thats okay to feel that way. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Austria, Denmark and the Czech Republic beginning to lift restrictions. Hopefully we'll see similar moves from the Irish Government on Sunday.

By all means let Lockdown Larry and Bunker Bernie continue to curtain-twitch from the safety of their living rooms, but it's time to start to get the economy back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Austria, Denmark and the Czech Republic beginning to lift restrictions. Hopefully we'll see similar moves from the Irish Government on Sunday.

By all means let Lockdown Larry and Bunker Bernie continue curtain-twitch from the safety of their living rooms, but it's time to start to get the economy back up and running.

******** facehugger, that's a another good one

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

'At least 15 of every 16 people infected with the coronavirus in Spain – more than 90% – have not been officially registered, according to estimates from the Spanish Health Ministry.'

'...a rapid [antibody/serology?] test will be carried out on each member of a household, and if it comes back negative, a more reliable PCR test will be carried out. The process will be repeated after 21 days.'

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-04-08/spain-to-test-30000-families-for-the-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

By all means let Lockdown Larry and Bunker Bernie continue to curtain-twitch from the safety of their living rooms, but it's time to start to get the economy back up and running.

Profit before people.... you're not looking to start up a political party, by any chance?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

r0_0_800_800_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

And with asymptomatic people who don't know they have it, we should all be wearing masks.

are these people coughing and spluttering all over the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt"

The early bird gets the worm,but the second mouse gets the cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Austria

810f0ca984e3fcac32a8ffd337748f3e7ac47be3.png

Ireland

c91e4634de607400b4198efd48d833176035bd71.png

We’re not there yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

is_that_so wrote: »
    A YouTube video is not science, links to credible peer-reviewed papers is. I'm not sure why you continually feel a need to hold me to task over the NEPHT policy. They do not advocate it but that doesn't stop you or others wearing them. I believe there is a comfort in it. From my own "research" I see 10%, at most, wearing masks but I see almost everyone practising social distancing.
    Our HSE and government response has been less than stellar and continue to be so. This is a demonstrable fact. They've bumbled along behind pretty much everyone save for the UK in this crisis. But please feel free to list where they got it right ahead of the curve. Bonne chance.

Secondly the two ways this virus infects is through contact with contaminated surfaces/people and then to the face/airways by way of the hands. Hand washing and social distancing reduces this pathway risk. Even imperfect hand washing and social distancing reduces this risk.

The second is by breathing in the virus directly into the airways from the exhalations of an infected person. Social distancing reduces this pathway risk and the further the distance the lower the risk. Coughing into a tissue, or even the crook on one's arm is recommended to reduce this risk. Yet something, a "tissue" literally covering the airways that directly reduces the path to the airways at source in both infected and non infected that clinicians and researchers in the SARS outbreak called "strongly protective" within the community somehow magically loses this efficacy to the point of zero outside a clinical setting? It's a patent nonsense. And it's a bigger nonsense to say it doesn't reduce risk within a population.

The more risk is reduced the slower the spread of this virus and the quicker we can restart our lives and society. Masks are just another weapon in that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

beolight wrote: »
    Red herring ? But the virus came in on a flight ....only one undetected or should I say unsuspecting carrier can restart the whole thing all over again

Even with community transmission the current laissez faerie attitude to visitors shouldn’t be allowed to continue

So what’s the point in all this if we can’t manage our visitors and with the current reduced numbers even easier to implement now

I recall a couple of weeks back all the stranded UK holidaymakers in Spain caught in the middle of an outbreak and not being allowed to get on a plane without a medical preclearance ( negative test)

China, South Korea, Taiwan , Russia to name a few are all screening airport arrivals

Trump is a law onto himself but he did make the call to ban flights against the perceived wisdom of the WHO so I will give him some credit for this action

But its a changed environment to when the virus first came. With no internal measures, absolutely the flights need to be restricted and controlled. But with internal restrictions we currently have, and a tiny volume of people coming in, the impact of travel is negligible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You shed viruses when you breathe and talk normally.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Austria

810f0ca984e3fcac32a8ffd337748f3e7ac47be3.png

Ireland

c91e4634de607400b4198efd48d833176035bd71.png

We’re not there yet.

Don't even be at it, he won't care about your proof or reasonable comments.

But its a changed environment to when the virus first came. With no internal measures, absolutely the flights need to be restricted and controlled. But with internal restrictions we currently have, and a tiny volume of people coming in, the impact of travel is negligible
    There's something to that R. It is a changed environment alright. But as we look to easing internal restrictions it seems prudent to have quarantine in place at our entry points.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

josip wrote: »
    You've got your very own beer garden until then.
    only if you holiday in Sweden!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

'At least 15 of every 16 people infected with the coronavirus in Spain – more than 90% – have not been officially registered, according to estimates from the Spanish Health Ministry.'

'...a rapid [antibody/serology?] test will be carried out on each member of a household, and if it comes back negative, a more reliable PCR test will be carried out. The process will be repeated after 21 days.'

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-04-08/spain-to-test-30000-families-for-the-coronavirus.html

The link it has for the 90% line is a story that says a lot of people have not received results.

I mean I agree the true figures are higher than reported but I am willing to bet that the 90% is another up to piece that the media love to drop out. Seriously this thing is bad. I have no idea why people want to make it even worse. Unless they are completely lying about any and all testing I can't see how 90% is anything but an extreme upper bound for how many cases they have missed. It is an estimate of an impossible to predict number. There is no way they are going to come out with anything but upper and lower bounds with any degree of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fairplay to the AGS and their response to anyone dumb or selfish enough to think of heading off to the caravan or home in the holiday areas.

I left for work this am at 0700 and have already been through a few checkpoints.

One on the N7 southbound (I was heading towards Dub, but could see the scale of the operation just a bit down from Potin Still)
    Got stopped between Finglas and StMargarets.
    Got stopped on the N4 west bound before Celbridge.

Hopefully it's enough of a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Wibbs wrote: »
    You shed viruses when you breathe and talk normally.

does it though? Really

if it did you would be covered in the virus the whole time unless you worse a respirator full time

you would have to wash entirely when you left the house, everything you'd touch would be covered in it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

There's aerosols that comes out when someone breathes out. No coughing, spluttering or sneezing needed to catch this virus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement