Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

There's aerosols that comes out when someone breathes out. No coughing, spluttering or sneezing needed to catch this virus.

then a mask is useless and we are all dead

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

does it though? Really
    Yup TRB. This doctor chap who has been very much on the ball from very early on in this crisis outlines it here(it's worth going right back to the start of his vids to see how on the ball he was).

He can drag things out, but of late he's been giving the general gist in the first few minutes. In essence coughing fires virus droplets much further than two metres, sneezing fires it a scary distance, but just talking and breathing also fire it out. Have you ever been around one of those , the say it don't spray it types? They'd be the extreme end, but give some of an idea about how far it can spread.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yup TRB. This doctor chap who has been very much on the ball from very early on in this crisis outlines it here(it's worth going right back to the start of his vids to see how on the ball he was).

He can drag things out, but of late he's been giving the general gist in the first few minutes. In essence coughing fires virus droplets much further than two metres, sneezing fires it a scary distance, but just talking and breathing also fire it out. Have you ever been around one of those , the say it don't spray it types? They'd be the extreme end, but give some of an idea about how far it can spread.

again, if this was the case this and every other virsus would be super contagious and everywhere

and yet its not the case

i will also accept twitter comments as proof

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

does it though? Really

if it did you would be covered in the virus the whole time unless you worse a respirator full time

you would have to wash entirely when you left the house, everything you'd touch would be covered in it

Damn those immortal viruses, not like they die when outside a host for a while or anything. Everything you touch does get covered with it for a while. Same with your clothes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Profit before people.... you're not looking to start up a political party, by any chance?:)

The effect of shutting down the economy will have more knock on effects on people and society than the virus itself, a virus that the vast majority of people completely recover from in a week or so.

I don't even believe the government's numbers. I think they are a load of baloney. People with end stage terminal conditions are being signed off on their death certificates as having died of Covid19.

The social impact of commiting economic suicide will dwarf anything that came before. 2008 will seem like a teddy bears picnic in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

My friend was chatting a Garda earlier who said that Donegal is becoming very hard to police. So many people coming down to their holiday homes despite people pleading with them not to. What is actually wrong with people?

Joke of a testing system.

Nursing home staff are also complaining of not getting results back.

I know, and we have so much time to plan for it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

A mask is not useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

But its a changed environment to when the virus first came. With no internal measures, absolutely the flights need to be restricted and controlled. But with internal restrictions we currently have, and a tiny volume of people coming in, the impact of travel is negligible

I wouldn't say that.

Everyone who comes in on a flight has to go somewhere by car or public transport such as a bus. This means they are in the community.

Lets say a relative picks them up in a car and brings them home. That relative is exposed. That relative could be an essential worker who goes on to infect work colleagues. All those work colleagues will have to isolate and give up on work for up to a month. Or that relative could work in a nursing home.

We saw in Cork in the early stages how 60 medical staff had to isolate because of exposure to 1 colleague.

It just takes a single case to cause chaos. 1 single case. The fact is we are 6 months into this and still Harris and Varadkar don't fully understand covid 19 and how it spreads, the ease of how it spreads, the exponential way it spreads and how 1 case can cause chaos.

It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious. How can we have a minister for health leading the fight who doesn't appear to understand the basics of the disease he is fighting?

The effect of shutting down the economy will have more knock on effects on people and society than the virus itself, a virus that the vast majority of people completely recover from in a week or so.

I don't even believe the government's numbers. I think they are a load of baloney. People with end stage terminal conditions are being signed off on their death certificates as having died of Covid19.

The social impact of commiting economic suicide will dwarf anything that came before. 2008 will seem like a teddy bears picnic in comparison.

if you had say terminal cancer and you died in a car crash on the way to the hospital to treat it

what would you put down on the death cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

darem93 wrote: »
    My friend was chatting a Garda earlier who said that Donegal is becoming very hard to police. So many people coming down to their holiday homes despite people pleading with them not to. What is actually wrong with people?

loads of uk, northern and non DL reg cars around (not that that last bit means much but when they have roofboxes on them....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Any fcuker travelling that has no need travelling should be given the choice of pepper spray or the taser.
    Second offence they get both.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Masks reduce both the levels of aerosols produced and the levels that get to you TRB. That's how it reduces risk. As the Czech campaign around them said "I protect you, you protect me"(by wearing one). If I'm standing two metres away from you and were to cough or sneeze, which would you prefer, to wear a mask or not and to have me also wearing one? It's pretty obvious when you consider it even a little.

Put it another way, if you were wearing goggles and I were to fire pepper spray at your mouth, which would you prefer, to wear a mask or not?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A mask is not useless.

it is against aerosols

against coughing etc large droplets its a good idea, again if you are infectious staying at home is what you should be doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Im gonna tot up all the loss of earnings and send an invoice to the Chinese embassy, I know they'll ignore it, but the symbolism of it - everyone should do it ....

I've got a backlog of these receipts from swine flu. Unsure whether to send to Mexico or USA. My great grand left his bill to my grandad who passed it on to my dad. They tried to get Spanish government to cough up given the propaganda at the time called it a Spanish virus. Apparantly started in Kansas and the US still won't acknowledge the loss of earnings / life so I fear it maybe an uphill battle.

again, if this was the case this and every other virsus would be super contagious and everywhere

and yet its not the case

i will also accept twitter comments as proof

This virus is super contagious. As for other viruses, we probably have immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

it is against aerosols

against coughing etc large droplets its a good idea, again if you are infectious staying at home is what you should be doing

Wearing a mask will limit the spread of the virus from the wearer who may be infected with no symptoms.

it is against aerosols

We are talking about asymptomatic people and face masks. They provide some protection, surely any ways we can reduce the spread, we should be doing and wearing a face mask is one of them.

and yet its not the case
    Actually it is. Again apply some thought. Why do we have cold and flu season? Why do hospitals and care home go into lockdown when the winter vomiting bug hits? Why do we vaccinate kids?

I grew up in the time before routine MMR vaccinations and every single person I knew as a kid came down with mumps, measles(both types), chicken pox and a few caught scarlet fever too. Never mind every other "bug" that was doing the rounds. If you could "read" your immune system you might be surprised at the very long list of viruses and other pathogens it had a record of catching and fighting off and the number added each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Christy42 wrote: »
    The link it has for the 90% line is a story that says a lot of people have not received results.

I mean I agree the true figures are higher than reported but I am willing to bet that the 90% is another up to piece that the media love to drop out. Seriously this thing is bad. I have no idea why people want to make it even worse. Unless they are completely lying about any and all testing I can't see how 90% is anything but an extreme upper bound for how many cases they have missed. It is an estimate of an impossible to predict number. There is no way they are going to come out with anything but upper and lower bounds with any degree of confidence.

Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here, but would it not be great if loads and loads of people actually have it or have had it, completely undetected, because it would mean that while it has bad effects for a very small percentage that for everyone else it is reasonably fine?
    If someone told me 70% of the people in Ireland have already had this corona virus, I would be delighted. It is absolutely awful for those who end up awfully sick or dead, and any of us including me could be in that number, but it would also mean it is generally much less harmful that one might worry.

The present restrictions are to stop over whelming of the health system in one go. Maybe there is some factor I am overlooking in the advantage of finding out that way more people have had it than suspected?

• Advertisement

Masks reduce both the levels of aerosols produced and the levels that get to you TRB. That's how it reduces risk. As the Czech campaign around them said "I protect you, you protect me"(by wearing one). If I'm standing two metres away from you and were to cough or sneeze, which would you prefer, to wear a mask or not and to have me also wearing one? It's pretty obvious when you consider it even a little.

Put it another way, if you were wearing goggles and I were to fire pepper spray at your mouth, which would you prefer, to wear a mask or not?

if its coming out in your breath then its going to be useless

If it's to stop you sneezing on me fine

why are you obsessed with the czech republic

if you are to just go on the figures you need to look at india

what are they doing

they must be wearing a lot of masks

rm212 wrote: »
    Damn those immortal viruses, not like they die when outside a host for a while or anything. Everything you touch does get covered with it for a while. Same with your clothes etc.
    And they're not even alive. It turns out "you cannot kill what does not live" beloved of every vampire flic is wrong. Apparently plain oul soap does the trick. Oh and sunlight, so that part of the vampire vibe is right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Without people going crazy at me , what is the big risk with a family doing there week shopping here as they always do and then heading down to there holiday home in there car for a week and staying in the house and garden there before heading home ?

Is it just the case that they fear people in those area's won't stay in there homes or garden and wil lall frequent beaches and parks ?

speckle wrote: »
    was meant as thats okay to feel that way. ☺

I get ya. It’s good for us all to look out for each and every boardsie every now and then. We’re like a really disfunctional family :D

xxx

Actually it is. Again apply some thought. Why do we have cold and flu season? Why do hospitals and care home go into lockdown when the winter vomiting bug hits? Why do we vaccinate kids?

I grew up in the time before routine MMR vaccinations and every single person I knew as a kid came down with mumps, measles(both types), chicken pox and a few caught scarlet fever too. Never mind every other "bug" that was doing the rounds. If you could "read" your immune system you might be surprised at the very long list of viruses and other pathogens it had a record of catching and fighting off and the number added each year.

you got it by close interaction with people

you got the vomiting bug by injecting someone **** or vomit

think about that for a few minutes

I've had the flu once in 40 years and had direct contact with the person who gave it me, that person should have not come into work

it wasn't floating on the breeze

Face masks
    I believe it should be encouraged / mandated in supermarkets / workplaces etc. by the way

Where I am none of the supermarket staff from managers to till operators to shelf stackers are wearing masks. The till operators are behind glass shields directly in front of them.

I'd be very interested to know are many shop workers going down with covid as I'm sure they must be exposed to cough, breath or sneeze droplets.

There's something to that R. It is a changed environment alright. But as we look to easing internal restrictions it seems prudent to have quarantine in place at our entry points.

Agreed. Testing and 14 days self isolation for arrivals once we have reduced our internal spread and free up testing resources. Without legislation can it be enforced though?

if its coming out in your breath then its going to be useless

If it's to stop you sneezing on me fine

why are you obsessed with the czech republic

if you are to just go on the figures you need to look at india

what are they doing

they must be wearing a lot of masks
    Now I'm convinced you're either on a wind up or being wilfully obtuse. Viral droplets in exhalation is not a gas. It's a mostly coarse aerosol, one that is massively attenuated by distance and anything that blocks it by capture. Basic science here.

India? :pac::pac: Oh yeah, they're a great judge of public health, testing and tracking. They can launch rockets into space, but have to put signs up to stop their citizens sh1tting on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The overall death rate in 2020 will be very similar to that in 2019 and 2021 I would imagine. A virus that is mildly dangerous for a very easily identifiable demographic and poses negligible risk for anyone else.

I strongly suspect the thousands of avoidable deaths that we will suffer as a result of the coming chronic under-funding of our health services, won't attract anywhere like the same level of social-media heroes to champion their cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Where I am none of the supermarket staff from managers to till operators to shelf stackers are wearing masks. The till operators are behind glass shields directly in front of them.

I'd be very interested to know are many shop workers going down with covid as I'm sure they must be exposed to cough, breath or sneeze droplets.

I've also asked this a few times. Never get much response. I've yet to see much media reporting of supermarket staff falling sick in their droves other than a Tesco report which said they were suffering increased costs for sick staff and requiring new staff to cover the increased business - but it didn't break down the ratio there.

If supermarket staff are all falling sick from breathing in this virus from all the shoppers they encounter, my local Tesco staff must have great immune systems. Not trying to say the risk is not there, but it does not seem great to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement