Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Wibbs wrote: »
    Now I'm convinced you're either on a wind up or being wilfully obtuse. Viral droplets in exhalation is not a gas. It's a mostly coarse aerosol, one that is massively attenuated by distance and anything that blocks it by capture. Basic science here.

India? :pac::pac: Oh yeah, they're a great judge of public health, testing and tracking. They can launch rockets into space, but have to put signs up to stop their citizens sh1tting on the streets.

then why are you obsessed with the czechs

they are in a similar boat to us who knows how they are reporting numbers

seriously, you got the winter vomiting bug by injecting something someone smeared on a surface

it wasn't floating on the breeze and look how infectious it is

I think we should all give facehugger a great big face hug. Squeeze the crazy right outta them.

((((((((((((((((facehugger))))))))))))))))

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Without people going crazy at me , what is the big risk with a family doing there week shopping here as they always do and then heading down to there holiday home in there car for a week and staying in the house and garden there before heading home ?

Zero risk, but Willie Whatsapp and Francis Facebook have decided they would like to live in a police state to feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Agreed. Testing and 14 days self isolation for arrivals once we have reduced our internal spread and free up testing resources. Without legislation can it be enforced though?

Self isolation won’t work, it would have to be forced isolation in a monitored premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I think we should all give facehugger a great big face hug. Squeeze the crazy right outta them.

((((((((((((((((facehugger))))))))))))))))

:D

Ooh, I'm gonna need full PPE for that... and I don't mean to protect myself from corona :D

• Advertisement

The overall death rate in 2020 will be very similar to that in 2019 and 2021 I would imagine. A virus that is mildly dangerous for a very easily identifiable demographic and poses negligible risk for anyone else.

I strongly suspect the thousands of avoidable deaths that we will suffer as a result of the coming chronic under-funding of our health services, won't attract anywhere like the same level of social-media heroes to champion their cause.

what will happen to you when you need to visit a&e and it packed with dying old people

youd be up sh1t creek

Sure whats another 10k dead wah

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

you got it by close interaction with people

you got the vomiting bug by injecting someone **** or vomit

think about that for a few minutes
    I would suggest you do more of the same. read up on transmission of noraviruses for a start.
    I've had the flu once in 40 years and had direct contact with the person who gave it me, that person should have not come into work

it wasn't floating on the breeze
    One third of people infected with the flu show no symptoms. Like you I've only had the flu once, my dad never had it. My mum got everything going, yet we didn't, even though we were obviously exposed. A fairly large percentage of people have few or no symptoms of the the flu. Though the people who always come out with the "oh if you had the flu you'd know it" are hard to convince otherwise.

As an aside TRB, was it by any chance the swine flu variety you caught? That was the only one I came down with. It would be interesting to see if that particular strain even affected the usually asymptomatic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

When are we going to start saying that the vacine is 11 to 17 months away? Been 12 to 18 months for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Lwaker. wrote: »
    What's happening with all the carers that do all the home visits all over the place
    some have gone down with the virus as well. They're are cases of people with ivid who haven't left their home.in years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Without people going crazy at me , what is the big risk with a family doing there week shopping here as they always do and then heading down to there holiday home in there car for a week and staying in the house and garden there before heading home ?

Is it just the case that they fear people in those area's won't stay in there homes or garden and wil lall frequent beaches and parks ?

Can you not follow simple rules? Stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When are we going to start saying that the vacine is 11 to 17 months away? Been 12 to 18 months for ages now.

It's only been two days since we knew it was 12-18 months away.

It's just that those 2 days have felt like a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Zero risk, but Willie Whatsapp and Francis Facebook have decided they would like to live in a police state to feel safe.

I know why you don't want to wear a mask.

facehugger-gif-8.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

then why are you obsessed with the czechs
    Because I prefer to look solutions that appear to be working than solutions that don't. Plus a first world country with tracking and testing and a premier health service available to all compared to a third world craphole with healthcare in the dark ages except for the well off minority. I know which one I'd look to.
    they are in a similar boat to us who knows how they are reporting numbers
    Deaths are about the only reliable numbers we can make any judgements on. The rest is mostly mindwank. On deaths they're under half our number, with twice the population and much higher population density.

seriously, you got the winter vomiting bug by injecting something someone smeared on a surface

it wasn't floating on the breeze and look how infectious it is
    "Injecting something someone smeared on a surface". Eh no. If you believe that you are quite literally clueless on the matter.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Is it just the case that they fear people in those area's won't stay in there homes or garden and wil lall frequent beaches and parks ?
    Probably nothing but how many would normally go to a holiday home and sit and look out at the fine weather, most are traveling to something be that beach or an outdoor amenity . What would be the point in going to holiday home and sit in .. you might as well do that at home.
    If it was allowed happen the beaches and tourists sites would packed.
    Fine if your house is in the middle of Connemara or somewhere and you had absolutely nothing near you. But most holiday homes are in purpose built parks and developments which would be full of kids and kids wanting to pop to shop ever 5 minutes and people barbecuing with friends .. anybody wanting to travel are not traveling to sit inside for 4 days ..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can you not follow simple rules? Stay at home.

I never said I was going anywhere , Im just asking the question so get down there off your high horse,

Given your answer I presume you don't know

I would suggest you do more of the same. read up on transmission of noraviruses for a start.

One third of people infected with the flu show no symptoms. Like you I've only had the flu once, my dad never had it. My mum got everything going, yet we didn't, even though we were obviously exposed. A fairly large percentage of people have few or no symptoms of the the flu. Though the people who always come out with the "oh if you had the flu you'd know it" are hard to convince otherwise.

As an aside TRB, was it by any chance the swine flu variety you caught? That was the only one I came down with. It would be interesting to see if that particular strain even affected the usually asymptomatic.

i already did the research i'm afraid

thats how you catch it

if the flu was that contagious, you'd have gotten it more than once, you'd be getting it every year and in all your years you would have symtoms at least some of the time

not the swine flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The overall death rate in 2020 will be very similar to that in 2019 and 2021 I would imagine. A virus that is mildly dangerous for a very easily identifiable demographic and poses negligible risk for anyone else.

I strongly suspect the thousands of avoidable deaths that we will suffer as a result of the coming chronic under-funding of our health services, won't attract anywhere like the same level of social-media heroes to champion their cause.

This is only true because of the lockdowns, otherwise the death rate would have been much higher this year. Also it is clearly not "mildly dangerous" for a certain demographic, but very severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Deaths in Norway, Egypt, Dominican Republic, Peru and Czech Rep have now all passed 100

I wouldn't say that.

Everyone who comes in on a flight has to go somewhere by car or public transport such as a bus. This means they are in the community.

Lets say a relative picks them up in a car and brings them home. That relative is exposed. That relative could be an essential worker who goes on to infect work colleagues. All those work colleagues will have to isolate and give up on work for up to a month. Or that relative could work in a nursing home.

We saw in Cork in the early stages how 60 medical staff had to isolate because of exposure to 1 colleague.

It just takes a single case to cause chaos. 1 single case. The fact is we are 6 months into this and still Harris and Varadkar don't fully understand covid 19 and how it spreads, the ease of how it spreads, the exponential way it spreads and how 1 case can cause chaos.

It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious. How can we have a minister for health leading the fight who doesn't appear to understand the basics of the disease he is fighting?

But its a handful of people maximum daily who are arriving with a potential infection, compared to thousands of local carriers. If everyone is adhering to the measures, 1 case will likely only infect those within their immediate circle and go no further. If this is not the case, well restrictions are pointless and everyone will get it anyway.

And Harris and Varadkars job is not to understand covid 19, but to make decisions based on what those who do understand it advise, and to ensure that they have the right people advising them. And I would suggest that no one on Boards understands more about C-19 than those advising the HSE on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Australia and New Zealand did not wait around. Very little community transmission there by comparison.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/have-australia-new-zealand-stopped-covid-19-in-its-tracks-coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

I doubt many people would bother to travel down the country just to stay inside! Could stay at home and do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Austria, Denmark and the Czech Republic beginning to lift restrictions. Hopefully we'll see similar moves from the Irish Government on Sunday.

By all means let Lockdown Larry and Bunker Bernie continue to curtain-twitch from the safety of their living rooms, but it's time to start to get the economy back up and running.

indeed especially when the lockdowns aren't doing ****.

All I know is ..
    Spain just before lockdown (approx 1 MONTH ago) ... ~1k cases a day ....
    Spain 2 days ago ... ~4k cases per day
    Spain now ~6k cases per day.

Because I prefer to look solutions that appear to be working than solutions that don't. Plus a first world country with tracking and testing and a premier health service available to all compared to a third world craphole with healthcare in the dark ages except for the well off minority. I know which one I'd look to.

Deaths are about the only reliable numbers we can make any judgements on. The rest is mostly mindwank. On deaths they're under half our number, with twice the population and much higher population density.

"Injecting something someone smeared on a surface". Eh no. If you believe that you are quite literally clueless on the matter.

they are in a similar boat to us i'm afraid

are you from the czech republic?

population density, you are obsessed

you do realise most of the population is centralized in cities and fields can't get virus

although they are coated in the virus from all the aerosols

One third of people infected with the flu show no symptoms.

That's something I was just thinking about this morning. I've only had a proper flu once in my life. So I may well have had other flu strains down the years but they either were very mild or asymptomatic.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Deaths in Norway, Egypt, Dominican Republic, Peru and Czech Rep have now all passed 100

who cares about the czechs, what about the Slovaks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

harr wrote: »
    Probably nothing but how many would normally go to a holiday home and sit and look out at the fine weather, most are traveling to something be that beach or an outdoor amenity . What would be the point in going to holiday home and sit in .. you might as well do that at home.
    If it was allowed happen the beaches and tourists sites would packed.
    Fine if your house is in the middle of Connemara or somewhere and you had absolutely nothing near you. But most holiday homes are in purpose built parks and developments which would be full of kids and kids wanting to pop to shop ever 5 minutes and people barbecuing with friends .. anybody wanting to travel are not traveling to sit inside for 4 days ..

Iv no plans to go or neither does my family i'm merely asking the question but just to flesh it out a bit,

Myself and my extended family all live in the City in small houses with small or no garden's , We have a family home out west, myself and two of my brothers own it , Its a beautiful part country side and it has plenty of land , So what be the problem with one of the families going and staying for a week,

Again we have no plans to and will not be going im just asking the question surely it doesn't cause any extra risk ,

I'm just playing devils advocate

That's something I was just thinking about this morning. I've only had a proper flu once in my life. So I may well have had other flu strains down the years but they either were very mild or asymptomatic.

MAY or may not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

People are lapping up the headlines without actually thinking for themselves... People are convinced this is a death sentence.,when in fact it is not
    For the good of everyone the economy will have to open up and get on with things. Offer early retirement to those of an age or with an illness.(protect the weak rather than risk everyone's wellbeing)

We salvage the economy we have now or we are left with a crumbling society that will take a decade or more to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

And they're not even alive. It turns out "you cannot kill what does not live" beloved of every vampire flic is wrong. Apparently plain oul soap does the trick. Oh and sunlight, so that part of the vampire vibe is right. :D

whose to say whats alive or not, animists might disagree .... love the vampire analogy. gosh wibbs you do make me laugh. important at times like these.

• Advertisement

Where I am none of the supermarket staff from managers to till operators to shelf stackers are wearing masks. The till operators are behind glass shields directly in front of them.

I'd be very interested to know are many shop workers going down with covid as I'm sure they must be exposed to cough, breath or sneeze droplets.

I have not heard anything about supermarket staff being particularly impacted, and the only thing I have noticed at my local supermarket is the older staff seem not to be working, but I see the usual younger staff every time I go. And its a small rural town so would notice if people are not around

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement