Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wibbs wrote: »
    Because I prefer to look solutions that appear to be working than solutions that don't. Plus a first world country with tracking and testing and a premier health service available to all compared to a third world craphole with healthcare in the dark ages except for the well off minority. I know which one I'd look to.

Deaths are about the only reliable numbers we can make any judgements on. The rest is mostly mindwank. On deaths they're under half our number, with twice the population and much higher population density.

"Injecting something someone smeared on a surface". Eh no. If you believe that you are quite literally clueless on the matter.

If all your going to do is keep bashing the healthcare system and try come up with solutions why dont you volunteer your time to hse instead of being online all day bashing them seeing as your all knowing.

Theres no point in anyone evening trying to have a conversation with you on face masks, you seem to be the self appointed expert on here. I respect your opinion but no need to force it on everyone

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wibbs wrote: »
    "Injecting something someone smeared on a surface". Eh no. If you believe that you are quite literally clueless on the matter.

In fairness, I think s/he meant "ingesting".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    People are lapping up the headlines without actually thinking for themselves... People are convinced this is a death sentence.,when in fact it is not
    For the good of everyone the economy will have to open up and get on with things. Offer early retirement to those of an age or with an illness.(protect the weak rather than risk everyone's wellbeing)

We salvage the economy we have now or we are left with a crumbling society that will take a decade or more to fix.

no body thinks this is the case for all

it is a death sentence for some

and a death sentence for many more if they can't get access to care

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We have a family home out west, myself and two of my brothers own it , Its a beautiful part country side and it has plenty of land ,

There is also the issue of the extra drain on services that are not equipped to deal with it. People flocking to Connemara say and over the Easter 100 get infected and need hospitalisation - the service simply isn't there to cope with it. Number is exaggerated obviously but spread that across the country to other popular holiday areas!

who cares about the czechs, what about the Slovaks

They have face masks let's copy them. We should all just wear respirators when we go outside, let's listen to the boards experts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

FVP3 wrote: »
    This is only true because of the lockdowns, otherwise the death rate would have been much higher this year. Also it is clearly not "mildly dangerous" for a certain demographic, but very severe.

You do not know for a fact the death rate would be higher. The numbers associated to death in the winter of 16/17 in Italy were far higher.. That too was a coronavirus. I reckon millions and millions of people have had or have this and the Vast majority shrug it off.
    Looking at the opinions of many here I wonder what they would do if a war came calling, prob hide from any conflict like cowards.

jackboy wrote: »
    Self isolation won’t work, it would have to be forced isolation in a monitored premises.

Do we have the laws to allow us to do this?

They have face masks let's copy them. We should all just wear respirators when we go outside, let's listen to the boards experts.

theres no law against wearing them after all

someone needs to do a graph on the czech numbers for us versus the slovak ones

see whats going on there

I've never trusted either of them since the split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

no body thinks this is the case for all

it is a death sentence for some

and a death sentence for many more if they can't get access to care

And a death sentence for many, many more if there is no money left to pay for everything

We may need to live with this and accept the deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I genuinely don't understand the resistance to wearing a mask when it may reduce the risk of spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The overall death rate in 2020 will be very similar to that in 2019 and 2021 I would imagine. A virus that is mildly dangerous for a very easily identifiable demographic and poses negligible risk for anyone else.

I strongly suspect the thousands of avoidable deaths that we will suffer as a result of the coming chronic under-funding of our health services, won't attract anywhere like the same level of social-media heroes to champion their cause.
    Must be great fun for you with so many people around who aren't used to your type on the internet who is constantly on the unpopular side of things.
    How long are you going to keep it up?
    I'll do up a post later of topics where you are on the unpopular side of things.

see whats going on there

Each to their own on wearing face masks everyone has their own opinion. I wont be wearing one unless it's in law.

I did see the Slovak numbers yesterday, will try and dig them out. I think there was a small increase in cases but they also aren't testing in big numbers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

see whats going on there

Snoopy is much nicer than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Without people going crazy at me , what is the big risk with a family doing there week shopping here as they always do and then heading down to there holiday home in there car for a week and staying in the house and garden there before heading home ?

Is it just the case that they fear people in those area's won't stay in there homes or garden and wil lall frequent beaches and parks ?
    Well one reason might be that they get there and come down with the virus. Maybe they picked it up when they did their shopping or something. If you are in your holiday home and you realise that you're one of the unlucky ones that needs hospitalisation are you going to come back to Dublin for it? Or go to the closest hospital to you?

We've already seen that a lot of healthcare workers have been infected. So you have now brought Covid19 into a hospital down the country. Potentially infecting the people taking care of you. Potentially infecting the people they come in contact with.

I mean is it an edge case? Yeah. But while there is still a period that people are asymptomatic, heading off to a completely different area and potentially spreading it if you do become symptomatic is what they are trying to avoid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

indeed especially when the lockdowns aren't doing ****.

All I know is ..
    Spain just before lockdown (approx 1 MONTH ago) ... ~1k cases a day ....
    Spain 2 days ago ... ~4k cases per day
    Spain now ~6k cases per day.

What would the numbers in Spain be now without lockdown?

I genuinely don't understand the resistance to wearing a mask when it may reduce the risk of spread.

Because I dont trust people not to be stupid. I'd much rather know someone was washing their hands and practising respiratory etiquette.

The chances of me getting covid on my 2k walk every day in a park with social distancing is extremely low.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

But its a handful of people maximum daily who are arriving with a potential infection, compared to thousands of local carriers. If everyone is adhering to the measures, 1 case will likely only infect those within their immediate circle and go no further. If this is not the case, well restrictions are pointless and everyone will get it anyway.

And Harris and Varadkars job is not to understand covid 19, but to make decisions based on what those who do understand it advise, and to ensure that they have the right people advising them. And I would suggest that no one on Boards understands more about C-19 than those advising the HSE on this.

What about somebody coming in from London and NY who wants to do a bit of shopping and starts picking up stuff etc at the supermarket, or starts talking to a neighbour? One goal of the lockdown is to subdue it across the population and let it burn out within households. One flight from London can get the entire thing started again.

Harris and Varadkar do not have the right people advising them, that's the problem. Remember, these "experts" were all for St Paddies day going ahead, as the pandemic was ravaging entire cities in Italy.

easypazz wrote: »
    And a death sentence for many, many more if there is no money left to pay for everything

we are 200billion in debt as it is

yet we are all still alive

sure whats another 20b

there will be deaths, the sane people are just interested in minimizing it

there may be some restrictions for some time to come, the current situation won't go on forever

someone said this sunday hurray

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Because I dont trust people not to be stupid. I'd much rather know someone was washing their hands and practising respiratory etiquette.

They're not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hrududu wrote: »
    Well one reason might be that they get there and come down with the virus. Maybe they picked it up when they did their shopping or something. If you are in your holiday home and you realise that you're one of the unlucky ones that needs hospitalisation are you going to come back to Dublin for it? Or go to the closest hospital to you?

We've already seen that a lot of healthcare workers have been infected. So you have now brought Covid19 into a hospital down the country. Potentially infecting the people taking care of you. Potentially infecting the people they come in contact with.

I mean is it an edge case? Yeah. But while there is still a period that people are asymptomatic, heading off to a completely different area and potentially spreading it if you do become symptomatic is what they are trying to avoid.

Cheers that's good measured answer , a far cry from most who reply to bash people for asking a question without properly reading it in the first place

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »

As awful as it is to think about, that was basically said this morning
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0409/1129463-covid-19-coronavirus-ireland/

"In relation to the roadmap, there is going to be a point in this country where we will have to live alongside the virus, for want of a better phrase, where sadly people will still get sick and sadly some people will still die but it is at a rate that is sustainable for our doctors to manage."

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

niallo27 wrote: »
    From about a month ago all we read in this thread is how we are 2 weeks behind Italy, 2 weeks 2 weeks. Well it looks like Italy reached their peak death rate 2 weeks ago tomorrow, does this not also point to us reaching our peak in the next week.

The whole point of flattening the curve is that the much lower peak happens much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

darem93 wrote: »
    My friend was chatting a Garda earlier who said that Donegal is becoming very hard to police. So many people coming down to their holiday homes despite people pleading with them not to. What is actually wrong with people?

Those going to their holiday home in Donegal are reasonably wealthy, ignorant clowns.

The same type who went skiing to Northern Italy or headed off to Cheltenham.

This whole Covid 19 thing seems to have passed them by, being in their own bubble the whole time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Australia and New Zealand did not wait around. Very little community transmission there by comparison.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/have-australia-new-zealand-stopped-covid-19-in-its-tracks-coronavirus
    Locking down of ports and low population densities helped them. Maybe them coming into summer and higher temps and more sunlight too?
    And Harris and Varadkars job is not to understand covid 19, but to make decisions based on what those who do understand it advise, and to ensure that they have the right people advising them. And I would suggest that no one on Boards understands more about C-19 than those advising the HSE on this.
    And yet with all this understanding they've made screwup after screwup and delay after delay. How's our testing going by the way? What's the delay on results now? Where was this understanding when advice around visiting care homes was seen as fine? Where was this understanding when asymptomatic spread was seen as little to no risk even if living with a known covid 19 contact? Where was this understanding when Cheltenham was going on? Where was this understanding when Paddies day was shut down only after local councils started to do so en masse? Where was this understanding when it's only this week the Guards got the help to enforce distancing and non essential travel?
    If all your going to do is keep bashing the healthcare system and try come up with solutions why dont you volunteer your time to hse instead of being online all day bashing them seeing as your all knowing.
    It doesn't require anyone, certainly not me, to be all knowing to be able to see what's as plain as the nose on your face. Or should be. Maybe it's a comfort for some to rely on an authority thinking they have your back?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The overall death rate in 2020 will be very similar to that in 2019 and 2021 I would imagine.
    I realise you are a troll, but here is a nice graphic for the daily rates in the US, against their top 15 daily causes of death.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The chances of me getting covid on my 2k walk every day in a park with social distancing is extremely low.

The idea that people who wear masks would not wash their hands or not practice respiratory etiquette is quite frankly ridiculous !

If anything they are probably more aware of the dangers that this virus poses and are doing all that is possible to protect themselves and others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And you trust them to not be stupid doing that? "Respiratory etiquette". :D You couldn't make it up.
    At least here we agree 100%.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The idea that people who wear masks would not wash their hands or not practice respiratory etiquette is quite frankly ridiculous !

If anything they are probably more aware of the dangers that this virus poses and are doing all that is possible to protect themselves and others.

It's not really because I've seen examples of it each time I've been out. People with masks stopping to have a chat with someone who's well within 2m and pulling it down, taking a call and pulling down the mask and again for a smoke.

I'm not saying each person hasn't washed their hands etc but the point is most haven't a clue what they're at. If they're not obeying the 2m what is to say they arent practising the other measures.

As awful as it is to think about, that was basically said this morning
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0409/1129463-covid-19-coronavirus-ireland/

"In relation to the roadmap, there is going to be a point in this country where we will have to live alongside the virus, for want of a better phrase, where sadly people will still get sick and sadly some people will still die but it is at a rate that is sustainable for our doctors to manage."
    Two for two in agreement. Jaysus S I must be getting feverish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Actually, my experience so far of people with masks and/or gloves in supermarkets is that they're exactly the ones who are most likely to invade my 2m space to reach around me to get something off the shelf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement