Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Ficheall wrote: »
    I realise you are a troll, but here is a nice graphic for the daily rates in the US, against their top 15 daily causes of death.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

Just shows you how fast it can happen if you don't take action... this is why we need to be so careful when we even consider starting to lift restrictions several weeks from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Wibbs wrote: »
    Locking down of ports and low population densities helped them. Maybe them coming into summer and higher temps and more sunlight too?
    And yet with all this understanding they've made screwup after screwup and delay after delay. How's our testing going by the way? What's the delay on results now? Where was this understanding when advice around visiting care homes was seen as fine? Where was this understanding when asymptomatic spread was seen as little to no risk even if living with a known covid 19 contact? Where was this understanding when Cheltenham was going on? Where was this understanding when Paddies day was shut down only after local councils started to do so en masse? Where was this understanding when it's only this week the Guards got the help to enforce distancing and non essential travel?

It doesn't require anyone, certainly not me, to be all knowing to be able to see what's as plain as the nose on your face. Or should be. Maybe it's a comfort for some to rely on an authority thinking they have your back?

aah yes the mountains of the south island blocked the aerosol/chemtrails

they have lots of wilderness

have you been? wonderful part of the world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

markfinn wrote: »
    The whole point of flattening the curve is that the much lower peak happens much later.

Hopefully the death count of 36 on Tuesday was our peak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

As awful as it is to think about, that was basically said this morning
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0409/1129463-covid-19-coronavirus-ireland/

"In relation to the roadmap, there is going to be a point in this country where we will have to live alongside the virus, for want of a better phrase, where sadly people will still get sick and sadly some people will still die but it is at a rate that is sustainable for our doctors to manage."

Did I do my sums wrong but do we have a handful of people who died not in hospital or nursing homes. if not then where?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wibbs wrote: »
    Two for two in agreement. Jaysus S I must be getting feverish :)

You might want to call a GP about that Wibbs. See if you get a test haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/q-and-a-tb-vaccine-may-boost-the-bodys-immune-system-to-fight-coronavirus-39112346.html
    The BCG vaccine could possibly provide protection against Covid-19 and help reduce death rates. Studies suggest that countries that have mass vaccination programmes have had fewer cases of the infection.
    There has been a global shortage in recent years. So children under five would not have been vaccinated. But they are not in the high-risk group for coronavirus. It means that a huge swathe of the population here got the vaccine.
    Trials are under way in Australia and the results should be known in around three to six months. It is being led by Dr Mihai Netea, of the Radbount University Medical Centre in Melbourne. It involves giving the vaccine or a dummy placebo to healthcare workers. He said it is better to await the findings before acting on giving it to large population groups.
    The coronavirus is new and it is unclear if there could be side effects. The shortage of the TB vaccine is also a problem.

Several other trials are being conducted.
    Dublin urologist Dr Paul Hegarty, of the Mater Hospital in Dublin, is also working with experts in the University of Texas in the United States.

They found countries such as Ireland, which had a universal programme of TB vaccination, had a much lower rate of coronavirus infection. It is largely a statistical study and must be read with caution. There may be confounding factors which could distort some of the conclusions. But it all adds to the possibility that the vaccine could be protective. The importance of physical distancing and other measures would remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Seen a tradesman sitting out in the sun this morning eating his breakfast roll with his glove on 🙈🙈

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Ficheall wrote: »
    I realise you are a troll, but here is a nice graphic for the daily rates in the US, against their top 15 daily causes of death.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

Fckn heck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭political analyst

Seen a tradesman sitting out in the sun this morning eating his breakfast roll with his glove on 🙈🙈

Pandemic or no pandemic, he's certainly not doing himself any favours by eating that type of food!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It's not really because I've seen examples of it each time I've been out. People with masks stopping to have a chat with someone who's well within 2m and pulling it down, taking a call and pulling down the mask and again for a smoke.

I'm not saying each person hasn't washed their hands etc but the point is most haven't a clue what they're at. If they're not obeying the 2m what is to say they arent practising the other measures.
    Alun wrote: »
    Actually, my experience so far of people with masks and/or gloves in supermarkets is that they're exactly the ones who are most likely to invade my 2m space to reach around me to get something off the shelf.

This is my experience too. People wearing masks invading space and picking up products and then removing their mask temporarily to breathe (or smoke as has been said!). It suggests to me that there is a fair element of truth in the WHO guidelines which may pertain more to Europeans than Asians, who are aware of how to use them safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Pandemic or no pandemic, he's certainly not doing himself any favours by eating that type of food!

Jaysús, it's bad enough right now without the healthy food fanatics heaping it down on people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Jesus christ I miss breakfast rolls, chicken rolls, black pudding sausage rolls, jambons, sausage rolls, etc. etc.

were they surgical gloves?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Tea Shock wrote: »
    Hopefully the death count of 36 on Tuesday was our peak

that would be amazing. Lets see how it pans out.

This is a long haul though.

All eyes on China for the next 6 months to see how they are handling it.
    There will be more breakouts etc. and we will more than likely adopt their policies and strategies of containment as they are slightly ahead of the curve.

keynes wrote: »
    What about somebody coming in from London and NY who wants to do a bit of shopping and starts picking up stuff etc at the supermarket, or starts talking to a neighbour? One goal of the lockdown is to subdue it across the population and let it burn out within households. One flight from London can get the entire thing started again.

Harris and Varadkar do not have the right people advising them, that's the problem. Remember, these "experts" were all for St Paddies day going ahead, as the pandemic was ravaging entire cities in Italy.

All those tourist coming from London or NY who have always dreamed of visiting Tesco in Dublin - where else can they go?
    Where the world will be when restaurants shops etc are all open, who know. By then at current rates everyone from New York will have got and recovered, and would make the best tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

It's not really because I've seen examples of it each time I've been out. People with masks stopping to have a chat with someone who's well within 2m and pulling it down, taking a call and pulling down the mask and again for a smoke.

I'm not saying each person hasn't washed their hands etc but the point is most haven't a clue what they're at. If they're not obeying the 2m what is to say they arent practising the other measures.

So you have never seen people without masks breaking the 2 meter rule ?

The New England Journal of Medicine have published a study to determine how long the virus can remain viable on various surfaces and in aerosols. They found that it was still detectable on copper for up to four hours, on cardboard for up to 24 hours, and on plastic and steel for up to 72 hours. The virus can also remain viable and infectious in aerosols for a few hours.

71511849-1.jpg

Masks reduce the spread of droplets and aerosols.

Everyone should be wearing a mask in public now to reduce the risk of aerosol transmission and to reduce droplet contamination of the environment.

Even a homemade one is better than nothing.

The jury is no longer out on this issue. It's past time we followed the example of countries who have been far better than us in containing the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

eagle eye wrote: »
    Must be great fun for you with so many people around who aren't used to your type on the internet who is constantly on the unpopular side of things.
    How long are you going to keep it up?
    I'll do up a post later of topics where you are on the unpopular side of things.

Awww - thanks Bud.

Perhaps you could do a contrast and compare with your own boring posts of platitudes, conformities and inanities.

It'd be interesting;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

No builders until after May BH at least, feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,688 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think we should all give facehugger a great big face hug. Squeeze the crazy right outta them.

((((((((((((((((facehugger))))))))))))))))

:D

God knows what you would catch. Wouldnt expect much hygeine in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

eddie73 wrote: »
    that would be amazing. Lets see how it pans out.

This is a long haul though.

All eyes on China for the next 6 months to see how they are handling it.
    There will be more breakouts etc. and we will more than likely adopt their policies and strategies of containment as they are slightly ahead of the curve.

I think given our lack of population density we will have a much longer peak than big European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I understand that hospitals are struggling to provide care when the numbers become too high and people die who may not have, had hospitals not been over-run.

Will countries who have had high infection rates be better off in a couple of months time though when the numbers are very low or zero. Would they suffer less from a 2nd wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Austria, Denmark and the Czech Republic beginning to lift restrictions. Hopefully we'll see similar moves from the Irish Government on Sunday.

By all means let Lockdown Larry and Bunker Bernie continue to curtain-twitch from the safety of their living rooms, but it's time to start to get the economy back up and running.

Ok Donald

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So you have never seen people without masks breaking the 2 meter rule ?

The New England Journal of Medicine have published a study to determine how long the virus can remain viable on various surfaces and in aerosols. They found that it was still detectable on copper for up to four hours, on cardboard for up to 24 hours, and on plastic and steel for up to 72 hours. The virus can also remain viable and infectious in aerosols for a few hours.

71511849-1.jpg

Masks reduce the spread of droplets and aerosols.

Everyone should be wearing a mask in public now to reduce the risk of aerosol transmission and to reduce droplet contamination of the environment.

Even a homemade one is better than nothing.

The jury is no longer out on this issue. It's past time we followed the example of countries who have been far better than us in containing the virus.

If the above is correct poging out for a run as we see many doing is possible the worst thing you could do in public,

Breathing hard would transmit it further into the air and covering more ground means more likely to get infected or spread it ,

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Ok Donald

donald feckin duck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

So hardware shops and garden centres not deemed essential under new guidelines but government want them to remain closed ..
    If garden centres open they will be black all weekend and that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Because I dont trust people not to be stupid. I'd much rather know someone was washing their hands and practising respiratory etiquette.

The chances of me getting covid on my 2k walk every day in a park with social distancing is extremely low.

So by that logic you think if someone is wearing a mask that they are not washing their hands? Right I can say something here that might help out. They are not mutually exclusive. None of the public health measures are.

• You can wash your hands AND
    • Wear a mask AND
    • Practise respiratory etiquette AND
    • Maintain physical distancing AND

These are things you can control.

Oh and going for a walk is still low probability unless some mad person is trying to beat the virus and going for a run. If they run past you panting like they a respiratory infection THEN the probability of you contracting it shoots up. Or if someone sick needs food and has nobody to help them out or has no support network and has to get food in the supermarket and proceeds to contaminate everything from trolleys to the air you breath while waiting to check out.

This you cannot control and a N95 or above respirator would actually LOWER your probability of contracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

harr wrote: »
    So hardware shops and garden centres not deemed essential under new guidelines but government want them to remain closed ..
    If garden centres open they will be black all weekend and that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Buying up plastic sh1te for the garden that the next storm will bring.
    Stay home lads and count the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Croatia is the country we and every other country in Europe should have copied. 19 deaths, which averages out at 1 every 2 days since their first confirmed case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Croatia

They have land borders with 5 other countries which made it far more complicated than us with a single border. But they managed to slow it down remarkably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

rm212 wrote: »
    Just shows you how fast it can happen if you don't take action... this is why we need to be so careful when we even consider starting to lift restrictions several weeks from now.

Lift restrictions and we will be back to square one in no time.

We neither have the technology or the know how to do what the Chinese have done. I haven't even been checked once for temperature going into a supermarket here that was par for the course in Wuhan months ago. Wearing of masks when outside isn't even mandatory here ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Those going to their holiday home in Donegal are reasonably wealthy, ignorant clowns.

The same type who went skiing to Northern Italy or headed off to Cheltenham.

This whole Covid 19 thing seems to have passed them by, being in their own bubble the whole time.

What's with the obsession with those who going skiiing? Jaysus, it's far from an elitist thing, it's not expensive. This is not the 1970s.

And you'd think everyone living in Dublin have holiday homes, it's really a bizarre situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement