Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Iv no plans to go or neither does my family i'm merely asking the question but just to flesh it out a bit,

Myself and my extended family all live in the City in small houses with small or no garden's , We have a family home out west, myself and two of my brothers own it , Its a beautiful part country side and it has plenty of land , So what be the problem with one of the families going and staying for a week,

Again we have no plans to and will not be going im just asking the question surely it doesn't cause any extra risk ,

I'm just playing devils advocate

Just consider one of your brothers families stayed there this week and someone in their family was an asymptomatic carrier.

You and your family go there for a long weekend, get infected and don't appear symptomatic for another week to two weeks.

You've had no close contact with your brother or his family but the seeds of a new cluster has spread from one part of the country to another.

It's highly unlikely everyone making such a trip would be completely self contained, not have to stop en route for toilet breaks, fuel, some food or not have to buy something at their destination thar they've forgotten to bring or run out of. A significant number of holiday home developments are relatively open plan with insubstantial boundaries or have almost open plan gardens and green areas - try keeping children from interacting in that environment.

The current level of restrictions are, as far as practicable, to contain clusters, restrict geographic spread and push the virus back from the community to the individual household level.

If that effort is undermined strict restrictions will have to remain in place for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hurrache wrote: »
    What's with the obsession with those who going skiiing? Jaysus, it's far from an elitist thing, it's not expensive. This is not the 1970s.

And you'd think everyone living in Dublin have holiday homes, it's really a bizarre situation.

Where do I mention Dublin? :confused:

It doesn't matter where you are from, anyone going to a holiday home at a time like this is a fool and hopefully many will be reported to gardai by the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Croatia is the country we and every other country in Europe should have copied. 19 deaths, which averages out at 1 every 2 days since their first confirmed case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Croatia

They have land borders with 5 other countries which made it far more complicated than us with a single border. But they managed to slow it down remarkably.

Firstly they are no New Zealand

and secondly they are doing feck all testing

god only knows how they are reporting this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It doesn't matter where you are from, anyone going to a holiday home at a time like this is a fool and hopefully many will be reported to gardai by the locals.

I didn't say you did, I said it's a bizarre situation after preceeding the statement with "And".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

We really do all have holiday homes

Multiple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

gabeeg wrote: »
    We really do all have holiday homes

Multiple

Shurrup, the taxmen could be reading these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Do we have the laws to allow us to do this?

I would think so, under the Infectious Diseases Act 1947 and amendments, including the most recent act specifically about CoViD-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Just consider one of your brothers families stayed there this week and someone in their family was an asymptomatic carrier.

You and your family go there for a long weekend, get infected and don't appear symptomatic for another week to two weeks.

You've had no close contact with your brother or his family but the seeds of a new cluster has spread from one part of the country to another.

It's highly unlikely everyone making such a trip would be completely self contained, not have to stop en route for toilet breaks, fuel, some food or not have to buy something at their destination thar they've forgotten to bring or run out of. A significant number of holiday home developments are relatively open plan with insubstantial boundaries or have almost open plan gardens and green areas - try keeping children from interacting in that environment.

The current level of restrictions are, as far as practicable, to contain clusters, restrict geographic spread and push the virus back from the community to the individual household level.

If that effort is undermined strict restrictions will have to remain in place for longer.
    reminds me of the ski chalet cluster very earlier on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Croatia is the country we and every other country in Europe should have copied. 19 deaths, which averages out at 1 every 2 days since their first confirmed case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Croatia

They have land borders with 5 other countries which made it far more complicated than us with a single border. But they managed to slow it down remarkably.

With a few exceptions tesing figures are a much lower in eastern Europe so I think the Croatia test rate is about a quarter of ours so it highly probable cases are not being picked up and deaths are being reported as something else.

I wouldn't say its feck all. They are doing about half the number per million of the US, a third of that of Spain, and about 50% less than France.

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/news/42661-covid-19-testing-in-croatia

So while their testing is on the low side, its still reasonably significant and couldn't be described as feck all.

Testing here (ignore outliers like Iceland, Gibraltar, Faroes etc)

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/news/42661-covid-19-testing-in-croatia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Are the student nurses getting paid to help out? Someone on Ben Gilroy Facebook page saying they're not.

Seamai wrote: »
    With a few exceptions tesing figures are a much lower in eastern Europe so I think the Croatia test rate is about a quarter of ours so it highly probable cases are not being picked up and deaths are being reported as something else.

Our testing was a farce for a couple of weeks. We ran tens of thousands of tests on people who clearly shouldn't have been tested, eg hypochondriacs. At least 50% of those tests were useless.

Now we are closer to reality with a 15% positive rate.

If you do 2000 really accurate tests per million its often tells you more than if you ran 50,000 inaccurate tests, checking people who aren't actually sick.

So comparing to our farcical testing regime is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Wonder will we see the upper class equivalent of your one who got jail for spitting at a garda this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

YFlyer wrote: »
    Are the student nurses getting paid to help out? Someone on Ben Gilroy Facebook page saying they're not.

They're supposed to be paid but whether or not that money has hit their accounts is a different matter.

Is Ben able to type again or his hand still injured after he hit the hurl off the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Have any of the airlines noticed illness amoung their cabin crew or pilots. Ryanair, aerlingus Alitalia amoung plenty of other should be seeing some trends of sickness seeing a crews are in closed environments with recirculated air.

Same would go for retail workers such as dunnes lidl Aldi and Tesco, have they noticed an increase in exposed staff members facing the public every day?

Perfect test samples

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yes.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0326/1126621-student-nurses/

But why would you attach any credibility to anything posted on Ben Gilroys Facebook page? That guy lives in a fact-free zone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What exactly is this problem of going to your holiday home.
    You're in your usual house. Load the car with essentials, drive maybe stopping at a fuel stop. Then you get there and ,guess what, you're in your home again.
    It's not like these people are flooding the local pubs and infecting the locals.
    They're doing no more harm than anyone going to their local Dunnes/Tesco for a pint of milk and a loaf

Phoebas wrote: »
    Yes.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0326/1126621-student-nurses/

But why would you attach any credibility to anything posted on Ben Gilroys Facebook page? That guy lives in a fact-free zone :confused:

Thanks. Just bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

cj maxx wrote: »
    You're in your usual house. Load the car with essentials, drive maybe stopping at a fuel stop. Then you get there and ,guess what, you're in your home again.
    It's not like these people are flooding the local pubs and infecting the locals.
    They're doing no more harm than anyone going to their local Dunnes/Tesco for a pint of milk and a loaf

'Posted from my holiday home'

Because the virus emenates like a cloud from the car as they drive along, a dark swarm of miasma, infecting the pure countryside with their dirty sickness. And when they arrive, every time they open their mouths a plague oh germs fly out like locusts and spread across the land.
    The dirty Jackeens baaaasteerds....
    And that's just in normal times.

And also, they aren't spending anything so they can just fuuuk right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

question how are going to prevent yourself acidently picking up virus at the petrol station from eg. a formite or pass it on to others unwittingly? How do expect to be contact traced if you do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The concerns are not with being in the holiday home itself, it is about the consequences of going there. If people flog from cities were the virus is present to rural parts of the country where it wasn’t, they accelerate the nationwide propagation of the virus (and also they potentially cause excessive strain on rural health infrastructure which isn’t sized for everyone being in their holiday home at the same time, let alone in a time of pandemic crisis). This also cause tensions between permanent resident of those areas and the people who are seen as bringing the virus. All this was verified in Italy and France whereby the wealthiest residents of Milan and Paris drove to their seaside houses before strong restrictions were enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

We'll need home testing kits, basically... with very quick turnaround in results. And I think there are some prototypes that have been produced already.

We don't need home testing kits. They are unreliable and a money spinner.
    Diagnostic testing, especially during a pandemic should not be shop bought and put in the hands of the public.

More support needs to be provided for our diagnostic laboratories. It is a hidden area of healthcare that is always asked to do more with less.

And now the finger of blame is pointed squarely at them being called "a disaster, pathetic, shambles, incompetent, etc" when they weren't properly supported before the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

speckle wrote: »
    question how are going to prevent yourself acidently picking up virus at the petrol station from eg. a formite or pass it on to others unwittingly? How do expect to be contact traced if you do so?

No differ not to if you were at a petrol station within 2kmts from your home. If people are careful in one area they’ll be careful in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0408/1129382-young-woman-with-cf-in-plea-to-follow-covid-19-rules/
    A 25-year-old woman with cystic fibrosis (CF) is urging people to adhere to restrictions in place to combat the Covid-19 crisis.

In a video diary recorded for RTÉ News, Bevin Murphy said: "I'm doing everything I can, hoping the virus doesn't come into my home but with the help of everyone else in Ireland also adhering to the social distancing, staying at home and only leaving your house if it's absolutely necessary, that will help stop vulnerable people like me getting the coronavirus."

Given that she and her mother are isolating themselves and that any person with whom they would need to have close contact (doctors, nurses, paramedics) would wear a mask in the event of close contact being necessary and would also take cleanliness especially seriously, how exactly would the issue of whether or not other people are adhering to the rules affect her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

If the above is correct poging out for a run as we see many doing is possible the worst thing you could do in public,

Breathing hard would transmit it further into the air and covering more ground means more likely to get infected or spread it ,

I haven't been out running or walking since reading about the transmission amongst the Washington choir.
    I know they were inside so the air was still. Even so when you're running a route that has ten runners ahead of you and you're passing out many walkers their exhalations don't follow the 2 meter rule.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Yes I agree - we should be following the New Zealand model.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There’s a massive pandemic and the entire world is shutting down to try and slow down the spread.

When you see posts like “why can’t I .....”, “what harm is it if I do something that the authority’s tell me not to do”.....

People need to STFU and do what they are told for a few weeks while the entire world figures out how to handle this. For the greater good right now it really doesn’t matter what the selfish , self absorbed people with a sense of entitlement believe. As you said, these morons are the reasons more clusters can break out and the lockdown measures may end up lasting longer then they need to.

The only reason the government signed in fines and laws for the police is because there are people who don’t care about anything but looking after their own pleasures, even if it might kill others. It’s mad that they don’t get that, particularly after everything that’s been happening.

They're supposed to be paid but whether or not that money has hit their accounts is a different matter.

Is Ben able to type again or his hand still injured after he hit the hurl off the wall?

He is able to put up a photo and a few word caption. Recent one is a photo of Traffic Gardai and the caption Nazis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

auspicious wrote: »
    I haven't been out running or walking since reading about the transmission amongst the Washington choir.
    I know they were inside so the air was still. Even so when you're running a route that has ten runners ahead of you and you're passing out many walkers their exhalations don't follow the 2 meter rule.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

They were in confined space for a long time in close proximity..

How is that in any way comparable to being outside occasionally having since pass by you?

Was transmission through airborne particles even confirmed as the likely way of transmission in that case or was it just supposition?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement