Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Gloves are usually a terrible idea for laypeople. They just don't have the ingrained habits to use them safely and they end up cross-contaminating worse than if they just washed their hands.

And thinking about it in terms of how easy or difficult the contract tracing would be? This is a crazily blaze attitude you're displaying, quite frankly.

Have you any links to prove this assumption of yours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I've heard today that people are being allowed in on ferries to Rosslare from the UK and France without any checks being done. Is this true? And if so, why is this being allowed?

An RTE reporter says there was the grand total of four cars on the ferry today - the rest was trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Strazdas wrote: »
    An RTE reporter says there was the grand total of four cars on the ferry today - the rest was trucks.

Good. I hope its not the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

speckle wrote: »
    thanks, maybe I should have phrased it using humans. Bat infects a different type of animal say a poor pagolin. then jumps to a human which infects another and so on.
    along the way we have some small mutations first in the animals then humans, then maybe it diverges into definite strains in humans. Say a north and south pole strain. North pole nastier strain dies out no susceptable humans left for many different reasons. South pole strain not so nasty continues on it way but still mutates slowly. We learn to accept it as part of life. but could that Southpole strain still mutate yet again into the future to either an even milder strain or up a level nastier? Or dissapear into the permafrost to reappear centurys later.
    by the way thanks all for your answers

I think it’s important to note that these infections from bats to pangolins is would never have occurred in nature. This occurred from humans exploiting animals :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

.. the rest was trucks.

So THAT'S how they are getting to those holiday homes undetected!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I hope you get going, but I think you are being extremely optimistic. Extremely.

Greece would need to open up too, very unlikely

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Have you any links to prove this assumption of yours ?

Yes, it is the current WHO recommendation for members of the general public.

https://www.who.int/images/default-source/health-topics/coronavirus/risk-communications/general-public/wearing-gloves.png?sfvrsn=ec69b46a_2

Also, I've seen people, including staff, using them wrong every time I've gone to Tesco in the last 3 weeks. More every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

And the shambles continues.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0409/1129563-national-laboratory-testing/

Big asterix beside test results for the next few weeks I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://globalnews.ca/news/6798818/coronavirus-national-model-canada/
    Canada estimates death toll of 11,000-22,000 in best case scenario if strict control measures remain in place

And just because I've seen some more stupid posts popping up comparing this to flu, yet again, Canada estimates it has about 3500 deaths annually from influenza.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/flu-influenza/health-professionals.html

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

No differ not to if you were at a petrol station within 2kmts from your home. If people are careful in one area they’ll be careful in another.

If you're not travelling you probably don't need to be in any petrol station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Meanwhile in Spain
    Figures released by the health department suggest that the spread of the virus is continuing to slow down: between Wednesday and Thursday, the rise in the number of new cases was 3.9%, compared with a daily average of 12% at the end of March and 20% in mid-March.

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I think it’s important to note that these infections from bats to pangolins is would never have occurred in nature. This occurred from humans exploiting animals :(

It's just down to high volume of live animals in a small space, in contact with a high volume of humans in a small space, multiplied by enough time. Roll the dice enough times and you'll get 100 sixes in a row eventually. Probability does its thing, and a virus hops species.

There are lots of safe ways to exploit animals. Kill them all before they come to market and the risk is much lower, but that's not exactly what we're going for, is it? The arguments against exploitation are more fundamental than the wet market issue in Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Coronavirus reinfection fears grow as cured patients test positive with possibly ‘reactivated’ virus

https://fortune.com/2020/04/09/coronavirus-reinfection-fears-grow-cured-patients-test-positive-reactivated-virus/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

https://www.newstalk.com/news/jadotville-picnic-compared-82-year-old-tom-gunn-surviving-coronavirus-995121

See this guy?

The Balubas couldn't kill him

Ex French Foreign Legion mercenaries couldn't kill him

The Belgian Gendarmie couldn't kill him.

And now Corona Virus couldn't kill him even though he is 82 years old.

"lying in a bed wasting away - not a very dignified way for a soldier to die" fighting spirit, endurance and tenacity and an innate toughness along with quiet intelligence

Jadoville Tiger Tom Gunn, you are a true Irish hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

And the shambles continues.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0409/1129563-national-laboratory-testing/

Big asterix beside test results for the next few weeks I'd say.

But who are you blaming on the shambles? If there is a shortage of reagents, there is a shortage of reagents.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Leaving aside the back-to-work/immunity issue, antibody testing has two potential uses:

(1) identify potential antibody donors for 'convalescent plasma' therapy to treat the critically ill (and to protect healthcare workers etc.)
    (2) make testing for CURRENT infection more accurate by combining with PCR testing (the accuracy of which depends among other things on the skill of the swab taker).

https://twitter.com/jclinicalinvest/status/1247508501573914624

https://twitter.com/anupampom/status/1245886537788579840

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

If the above is correct going out for a run as we see many doing is possible the worst thing you could do in public,

Breathing hard would transmit it further into the air and covering more ground means more likely to get infected or spread it ,

Not particularly fair, I can go out for a run and breathe less hard than someone who's very overweight going out for a walk.

Should they be stopped from going for walks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Cw85 wrote: »
    I think the middle of May should see some restrictions. Fingers crossed anyway I've a holiday to Greece on the 4th of June and am holding on to any hope I can

Even if you get to travel I expect tough quarantine to be in place by then, either here, there or both.

bb12 wrote: »
    Coronavirus reinfection fears grow as cured patients test positive with possibly ‘reactivated’ virus

https://fortune.com/2020/04/09/coronavirus-reinfection-fears-grow-cured-patients-test-positive-reactivated-virus/

I'd take that with a pinch of salt to say the least. And frankly, it's a bit irresponsible for a mainstream publication to feature such preliminary findings. It'll cause undue focus and panic.

51 patients out of 1.5 million is much more suggestive of false positive testing than a virus with no known historical ability to integrate/go latent suddenly developing this trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Yes, it is the current WHO recommendation for members of the general public.

https://www.who.int/images/default-source/health-topics/coronavirus/risk-communications/general-public/wearing-gloves.png?sfvrsn=ec69b46a_2

Also, I've seen people, including staff, using them wrong every time I've gone to Tesco in the last 3 weeks. More every day.

You sent a link which says that gloves are not effective in preventing a person getting a coronavirus infection, which is true.

I asked for a link about your original assumption "Gloves are usually a terrible idea for laypeople. They just don't have the ingrained habits to use them safely and they end up cross-contaminating worse than if they just washed their hands."

Your observations are anecdotal evidence.

• Advertisement

Leaving aside the back-to-work/immunity issue, antibody testing has two potential uses:

(1) identify potential antibody donors for 'convalescent plasma' therapy to treat the critically ill (and to protect healthcare workers etc.)
    (2) make testing for CURRENT infection more accurate by combining with PCR testing (the accuracy of which depends among other things on the skill of the swab taker).

https://twitter.com/jclinicalinvest/status/1247508501573914624

https://twitter.com/anupampom/status/1245886537788579840

Might be useful- though IgM testing is a different test again to what they want to roll out for wider screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,462 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My girlfriends mother left the house to go and do the lotto apparently. All hell is breaking loose in their household and family circle.

The woman is a bit like my old man, can’t abide having to sit still for 5 minutes and not seeing people. I don’t get it, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

But who are you blaming on the shambles? If there is a shortage of reagents, there is a shortage of reagents.

A bit of foresight would have helped.

The idiocy of some people saying we were going to ramp up to 15,000 tests a day or even 4,500 tests a day.

We don't even have enough reagent to process 1000 tests a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Might be useful- though IgM testing is a different test again to what they want to roll out for wider screening.

IgM and IgG are combined in the finger-prick tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Naos wrote: »
    Not particularly fair, I can out for a run and breathe less hard than someone who's very overweight going out for a walk.

Should they be stopped from going for walks?

Who said anything about being fair,

You know what your right all the old people dying alone in there hospital beds should just tell the virus its "not fair" ,

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

I'd take that with a pinch of salt to say the least. And frankly, it's a bit irresponsible for a mainstream publication to feature such preliminary findings. It'll cause undue focus and panic.

51 patients out of 1.5 million is much more suggestive of false positive testing than a virus with no known historical ability to integrate/go latent suddenly developing this trait.

I'd take it more seriously because it's south korea. they've been on top of their game regarding this virus so i don't see how it could be solely blamed on false positives.

"A patient is deemed fully recovered when two tests conducted with a 24-hour interval show negative results."

So to then turn positive after release from quarantine is a bit worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

It's just down to high volume of live animals in a small space, in contact with a high volume of humans in a small space, multiplied by enough time. Roll the dice enough times and you'll get 100 sixes in a row eventually. Probability does its thing, and a virus hops species.

There are lots of safe ways to exploit animals. Kill them all before they come to market and the risk is much lower, but that's not exactly what we're going for, is it? The arguments against exploitation are more fundamental than the wet market issue in Asia.

My point is that human exploiting them has caused this. There is still risk killing animals before bringing them to markets. All countries need to improve farming practises. Even now we are still exporting live calves from Ireland to countries with zero animal welfare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Strumms wrote: »
    My girlfriends mother left the house to go and do the lotto apparently. All hell is breaking loose in their household and family circle.

The woman is a bit like my old man, can’t abide having to sit still for 5 minutes and not seeing people. I don’t get it, at all.
    could another family member do it on line for her maybe she doesnt know that possibility exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Strumms wrote: »

if I was you I'd say nothing till I see the results ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement