Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 9 April 2020 @ 08:00

novel-coronavirus-COVID-19-geographical-distribution-EU-UK-2020-04-09.png?itok=cE2bAF5k

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

speckle wrote: »
    could another family member do it on line for her maybe she doesnt know that possibility exists.

The lotto can be done online as well so that is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Naos wrote: »
    Not particularly fair, I can out for a run and breathe less hard than someone who's very overweight going out for a walk.

Should they be stopped from going for walks?

I saw a jogger hold each nostril and blow separately out of each one to clear his nose today....He wasn’t far from other people , over the 6ft but still quite close . Some people are complete idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

The first antibody/serology/blood/finger-prick test that was given EUA (emergency use authorisation) by the FDA tests both IgM (which appear sooner after infection) and IgG (which appear later after infection).

https://www.fda.gov/media/136622/download

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I think it’s important to note that these infections from bats to pangolins is would never have occurred in nature. This occurred from humans exploiting animals :(

The same fcukers have the rhino and whale wiped out in the name of witch doctor medicines.
    For a crowd that’s technologically advanced some of their thinking is still in the Stone Age

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

bb12 wrote: »
    Coronavirus reinfection fears grow as cured patients test positive with possibly ‘reactivated’ virus

https://fortune.com/2020/04/09/coronavirus-reinfection-fears-grow-cured-patients-test-positive-reactivated-virus/

I read something but it wasn't a science or medical paper or report. It was a newspaper report saying the virus could hide in cells and reactivate. I hope it was a clickbait or scaremongering piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

You sent a link which says that gloves are not effective in preventing a person getting a coronavirus infection, which is true.

I asked for a link about your original assumption "Gloves are usually a terrible idea for laypeople. They just don't have the ingrained habits to use them safely and they end up cross-contaminating worse than if they just washed their hands."

Your observations are anecdotal evidence.

Okay, I'm fine with that characterization, though I'm not sure why you're laboring the point. I genuinely don't have the time to search out sources that show definitely that use of gloves by people not trained in aseptic technique would lead greater harm, specifically due to higher levels of cross contamination rather than some other other causes.

It's a CDC, WHO and HSE recommendation, it's what most consultants and GPs will tell you and it is what I as a scientist trained in Class II BSC aseptic techniques would also strongly agree with.

Do with that what you will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Be some sickener to win the lotto and not be allowed collect it,due to.corona outbreak in your gaff

There is a 90 day period to collect any winnings which in present circumstances could be extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,917 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Garden centres and hardware stores allowed reopen?

This lockdown is like a Benny Hill sketch..

IgM and IgG are combined in the finger-prick tests.

Makes sense, if the output differentiates. You can estimate the stage of infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,119 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I saw no difference today, constant flow of traffic, streets full of people, yet all stores closed. Not a guard in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

At least with the Bundesliga reopening in May we have some sport to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

The same fcukers have the rhino and whale wiped out in the name of witch doctor medicines.
    For a crowd that’s technologically advanced some of their thinking is still in the Stone Age

We all need to look at how we are exploiting animals. We have a choice whether to be part of it or not. Anyone visiting an intensive pig farm on our shores would be horrified that it is even allowed. People just choose to ignore it as it’s packaged nice on a shelf with a nice pig and grass design. They really are horrific and we need to our address our own issues too

INMO Trolley Watch figures for April 9th 2020.

27 beds short in Irish hospitals today, Limerick having the most people on trolleys.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 36,119 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Boris we all know has a need to talk, never shy of a few words, I find it hard to believe if he is '' up, awake, cheerful'' that he needs someone else to convey those words for him. He has twitter and loves to use it when needed. The fact he has made no tweets is concerning.
    When at home he didn't need someone else to say anything for him, he said it himself on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Boris we all know has a need to talk, never shy of a few words, I find it hard to believe if he is '' up, awake, cheerful'' that he needs someone else to convey those words for him. He has twitter and loves to use it when needed. The fact he has made no tweets is concerning.
    When at home he didn't need someone else to say anything for him, he said it himself on twitter.

Maybe no mobiles are allowed in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,139 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Gloves are usually a terrible idea for laypeople. They just don't have the ingrained habits to use them safely and they end up cross-contaminating worse than if they just washed their hands.

And thinking about it in terms of how easy or difficult the contract tracing would be? This is a crazily blaze attitude you're displaying, quite frankly.

I'm a lay person but even I know how to not cross contaminate my hands and gloves. It's not rocket science.
    The advice to not wear gloves is basically aimed at the lowest common denominator of society. I.e. people who are totally brainless. The same group of people who need to be told not to microwave dry your pets.
    As for contact tracing what could be simpler then knowing that for the last. Week/ fortnight/ month you've seen no-one apart from your immediate family and a shopkeeper .
    It's not a blasé attitude.
    It's about knowing exactly where / who / when you've had any contact with people. Not what part of the country you're in

frillyleaf wrote: »
    We all need to look at how we are exploiting animals. We have a choice whether to be part of it or not. Anyone visiting an intensive pig farm on our shores would be horrified that it is even allowed. People just choose to ignore it as it’s packaged nice on a shelf with a nice pig and grass design. They really are horrific and we need to our address our own issues too

The pigs we are eating in this country never saw a blade of grass only concrete,concentrate feed and antibiotics.
    It’s in no way healthy.a downright disaster in fact

owlbethere wrote: »
    I read something but it wasn't a science or medical paper or report. It was a newspaper report saying the virus could hide in cells and reactivate. I'm hope it was a clickbait or scaremongering piece.

Well, viruses always "hide" in cells to replicate. It's the only way they replicate. But the reports are probably trying to suggest coronavirus can do what herpes or HIV can do- go latent or integrate into human DNA. This is scaremongering. There's no evidence coronavirus can do this, and it is a complex trait that would not be easy for it to develop new.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,979 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

walshb wrote: »

The one garden centre near me is closed until further notice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

The pigs we are eating in this country never saw a blade of grass only concrete,concentrate feed and antibiotics.
    It’s in no way healthy.a downright disaster in fact

There is a butcher in enniskillen that owns an island on the river erne. It is only inhabited by pigs which he then uses in his shop. Available online or at least was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

walshb wrote: »

If would be very beneficial for people stuck at home, give them something to do. But I understand your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-shut-down-494-house-parties-in-four-days-in-greater-manchester-11971032
    Police in Manchester shut down 494 house parties in metropolitan area over the last 4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Can anyone explain why the virus is not transmitting as rapidly as expected in Africa, South America and India ?

Figures are still very low, which seams very good news - in comparison to say America , which has a third of all cases, and way more than anywhere else.

Could ther be a climate effect , that has been dismissed by all experts, in this new virus

Okay, I'm fine with that characterization, though I'm not sure why you're laboring the point. I genuinely don't have the time to search out sources that show definitely that use of gloves by people not trained in aseptic technique would lead greater harm, specifically due to higher levels of cross contamination rather than some other other causes.

It's a CDC, WHO and HSE recommendation, it's what most consultants and GPs will tell you and it is what I as a scientist trained in Class II BSC aseptic techniques would also strongly agree with.

Do with that what you will.

The average Joe in the street who is wearing gloves is not performing surgery, or any kind of procedure needing 'Class II BSC aseptic techniques' !

He is also capable of washing those gloves and if he wants to wear them, good luck to him.

cj maxx wrote: »
    I'm a lay person but even I know how to not cross contaminate my hands and gloves. It's not rocket science.
    The advice to not wear gloves is basically aimed at the lowest common denominator of society. I.e. people who are totally brainless. The same group of people who need to be told not to microwave dry your pets.

The Dunning-Kruger effect.

Wash your hands, it is much simpler and it is more effective. I know how to use gloves, and I don't do it. I just wash my hands. Wash your hands, do it again.
    cj maxx wrote: »
    As for contact tracing what could be simpler then knowing that for the last. Week/ fortnight/ month you've seen no-one apart from your immediate family and a shopkeeper .
    It's not a blasé attitude.

It is if you're using to justify travel, because you're "keeping it simple" in some sense. What could be simpler is staying at home and only going out when you need to, rather than any time you can justify it because you've kept it simple.

The same goes for the broiler chicken we eat every day.
    A genetic freak designed by man to produce economically cheap protein.welfare doesn’t come into it.
    They’re crammed 40000 into a shed for mass feeding in the quickest time possible to reach slaughter weight.
    artificial heat artificial light and pumped with concentrate feed and antibiotics.
    The same chicken or pig wouldn’t survive outdoors now in winter.we have the nature bred out of them.
    Pure toxic farming methods and the end result is people eating that poor quality dangerous products

The average Joe in the street who is wearing gloves is not performing surgery, or any kind of procedure needing 'Class II BSC aseptic techniques' !

He is also capable of washing those gloves and if he wants to wear them, good luck to him.

The principles are the same, but regardless those recommendations are not in relation to surgery or lab work. They're in relation to use by the public.

Washing gloves. Good grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

thebaz wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why the virus is not transmitting as rapidly as expected in Africa, South America and India ?

Figures are still very low, which seams very good news - in comparison to say America , which has a third of all cases, and way more than anywhere else.

You mean in relatively poor countries, that are vast in density/population, and so majority of people will never be tested?

• Advertisement

There is a butcher in enniskillen that owns an island on the river erne. It is only inhabited by pigs which he then uses in his shop. Available online or at least was

I got it before.black bacon it’s called.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement