Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ace2007 wrote: »
    You mean in relatively poor countries, that are vast in density/population, and so majority of people will never be tested?

India has been testing , and is extremly densly populated , I would have expected a very hight number of cases, the stats so far are not indicating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

thebaz wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why the virus is not transmitting as rapidly as expected in Africa, South America and India ?

Figures are still very low, which seams very good news - in comparison to say America , which has a third of all cases, and way more than anywhere else.

Could ther be a climate effect , that has been dismissed by all experts, in this new virus

Well, to take South Africa as an example, probably testing rate.

They're testing at a rate about 12% of what Ireland is doing, and we're not exactly doing great at that ourselves.

India has been testing , and is extremly densly populated , I would have expected a very hight number of cases, the stats so far are not indicating this.

No- India's testing rate is about 10% that of South Africa. It's frighteningly low for the population size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Can anyone explain why the virus is not transmitting as rapidly as expected in Africa, South America and India ?

Figures are still very low, which seams very good news - in comparison to say America , which has a third of all cases, and way more than anywhere else.

Could ther be a climate effect , that has been dismissed by all experts, in this new virus
    Thialand is the same. They had their first case back in January. And from what I can see their hospitals are coping.

Thialand is the same. They had their first case back in January. And from what I can see their hospitals are coping.

Low testing rate there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-shut-down-494-house-parties-in-four-days-in-greater-manchester-11971032
    Police in Manchester shut down 494 house parties in metropolitan area over the last 4 days

Rolling out Shaun Ryder to advise people not to have parties.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The one garden centre near me is closed until further notice.
    I'd reckon some stay open because they have a pet shop section and they're exempt from closure? Hardware shops I can understand more. Stuff around the house keeps wearing out and replacements can be needed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

The pigs we are eating in this country never saw a blade of grass only concrete,concentrate feed and antibiotics.
    It’s in no way healthy.a downright disaster in fact

Or daylight. It really is horrendous but the end product is presented in a way that makes people feel better. It is shocking the conditions that most pigs are kept in. If it wasn’t Covid19 it would be something else. We can’t treat animals the way we do without negative consequences

agree - I was expecting absolute horror to hit the developing world, around now, and this has not happened -
    Ther could be a climate factor that has been downplayed, as you suggest Thailand should be as bad if not worse that America right now -
    California and New York were hit at same time, and New York is way worse than Californioa in particular the urban cities -
    Climate may well be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Low testing rate there too.

Regardless of testing their hospitals should be crazy. And from reading all their local news I'm just not seeing it. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

India population is over 1.3 billion people and tested less than 175k people, the have hardly tested anyone where you consider what we have tested given our population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Boris we all know has a need to talk, never shy of a few words, I find it hard to believe if he is '' up, awake, cheerful'' that he needs someone else to convey those words for him. He has twitter and loves to use it when needed. The fact he has made no tweets is concerning.
    When at home he didn't need someone else to say anything for him, he said it himself on twitter.

Borris is fine and will be out of ICU in a few days. As someone has said he probably isn't allowed a phone in ICU. He was put in there because he was the prime minister and got special care.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

The same goes for the broiler chicken we eat every day.
    A genetic freak designed by man to produce economically cheap protein.welfare doesn’t come into it.
    They’re crammed 40000 into a shed for mass feeding in the quickest time possible to reach slaughter weight.
    artificial heat artificial light and pumped with concentrate feed and antibiotics.
    The same chicken or pig wouldn’t survive outdoors now in winter.we have the nature bred out of them.
    Pure toxic farming methods and the end result is people eating that poor quality dangerous products

Uninformed hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

The same goes for the broiler chicken we eat every day.
    A genetic freak designed by man to produce economically cheap protein.welfare doesn’t come into it.
    They’re crammed 40000 into a shed for mass feeding in the quickest time possible to reach slaughter weight.
    artificial heat artificial light and pumped with concentrate feed and antibiotics.
    The same chicken or pig wouldn’t survive outdoors now in winter.we have the nature bred out of them.
    Pure toxic farming methods and the end result is people eating that poor quality dangerous products

Yes. Also horrendous conditions. But wait - China are to blame as they treat animals cruelly !

People really need to look at how awful the animals on are own shores are treated before casting judgement. I saw footage of an undercover pig farm and didn’t sleep right after it. Deeply disturbing. These type of situations are a disaster waiting to happen. How it hasn’t happened yet is beyond me.

I’m not expecting people to completely give up meat but they should source it from ethical farmers that do exist

Ace2007 wrote: »
    India population is over 1.3 billion people and tested less than 175k people, the have hardly tested anyone where you consider what we have tested given our population.

But ther are no reports of hospitals being chronically overrun, in a country that has a medical system that is very over stretched at the best of times -

Regardless of testing their hospitals should be crazy. And from reading all their local news I'm just not seeing it. Very strange.

That could just mean they're not admitting people. Thailand has a notoriously crappy human rights record.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If would be very beneficial for people stuck at home, give them something to do. But I understand your concerns.

The concern is everyone's stuck at home so if a hardware or garden shop opens everyone will rush to them to have something to do at home,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

And the shambles continues.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0409/1129563-national-laboratory-testing/

Big asterix beside test results for the next few weeks I'd say.

If that is the lab that could process 1500 per day and they are only able to work at 1/3 capacity (500 a day) where is Harris etc getting their 4500+ numbers from? More spin and waffle.

That could just mean they're not admitting people. Thailand has a notoriously crappy human rights record.

it could also mean, hopefully , that the virus is not proving as deadly as first thought, and perhaps hot weather slows transmission rates

• Registered Users Posts: 82,746 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This Saturday will be 2 weeks since the current controls came in to play, will be interesting what percentage of new cases there are which were transmitted outside those which can be explained as sourced within the healthcare industry in nursing homes, hospitals etc where staff and patients would be at high risk of exposure.

it could also mean, hopefully , that the virus is not proving as deadly as first thought, and perhaps hot weather slows transmission rates

I hope so, but when testing levels are low, you're working in an information vacuum, and that's before you get into human rights and press freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A different strain perhaps?

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-shut-down-494-house-parties-in-four-days-in-greater-manchester-11971032
    Police in Manchester shut down 494 house parties in metropolitan area over the last 4 days

There was a party bus in Limerick, idiots everywhere it seems

New Orleans is hot and their death rate and positive cases are high

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A different strain perhaps?

No, most experts agree that virus mutates very little , which is good, thats why they reckon if you have been infected and recover you will be immune for at leat a few years , or possibly life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

agree - I was expecting absolute horror to hit the developing world, around now, and this has not happened -
    Ther could be a climate factor that has been downplayed, as you suggest Thailand should be as bad if not worse that America right now -
    California and New York were hit at same time, and New York is way worse than Californioa in particular the urban cities -
    Climate may well be a factor.

Washington state, which had the first outbreak, seems to be doing OK also. They had built a field hospital in expectation of the hospitals being overwhelmed but it is now being dismantled to be used elsewhere if needed. There are no reports of hospitals being overwhelmed at all in the US yet, that I've seen. In fact, anecdotal accounts suggest they are emptier than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

If that is the lab that could process 1500 per day and they are only able to work at 1/3 capacity (500 a day) where is Harris etc getting their 4500+ numbers from? More spin and waffle.

Take no notice of Harris, he is not a straight talker. Image is priority for him.

No, most experts agree that virus mutates very little , which is good, thats why they reckon if you have been infected and recover you will be immune for at leat a few years , or possibly life

Did China and Italy have some cases of reinfection?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If it's the lab.....

More assumption and public bashing of people trying to do their best...

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Low rates of obesity (with related type 2 diabetes)? Low rates of heart disease and hypertension? I don’t know, but could that be a factor in lower deaths and lower rates of severe cases (hence less chance for hospitals to be overwhelmed)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    New Orleans is hot and their death rate and positive cases are high

Louisiana has a high rate of people with underlying conditions like obesity, hypertension and diabetes, which will have an effect on the death rate. Also, Mardi gras would have helped it spread.

No one has suggested warmer weather completely stops the virus, just that its harder for it to spread. Obviously an event like Mardi gras or spring break in Florida will counteract that though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement