Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

If that is the lab that could process 1500 per day and they are only able to work at 1/3 capacity (500 a day) where is Harris etc getting their 4500+ numbers from? More spin and waffle.

Imagine if it had been up to you to plan it all. Cracking jokes and calling it overhyped and rolling off to Cheltenham and the pub until the very last moment. We'd be screwed if the likes of you had their way.

If you think we're all going to forget that, you have another thing coming.

Government will have to be accountable for anything they've messed up, no question. But the state of you grandstanding on every mistake. Sit down ffs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

thebaz wrote: »
    agree - I was expecting absolute horror to hit the developing world, around now, and this has not happened -
    Ther could be a climate factor that has been downplayed, as you suggest Thailand should be as bad if not worse that America right now -
    California and New York were hit at same time, and New York is way worse than Californioa in particular the urban cities -
    Climate may well be a factor.

Under-testing and under-reporting, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Want to see how breathing would look if you could see it?

https://twitter.com/Matersurgery/status/1248248942753484802?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Washington state, which had the first outbreak, seems to be doing OK also. They had built a field hospital in expectation of the hospitals being overwhelmed but it is now being dismantled to be used elsewhere if needed. There are no reports of hospitals being overwhelmed at all in the US yet, that I've seen. In fact, anecdotal accounts suggest they are emptier than usual.

Which kind of makes New York / New Jersey high infections more understandable , high density population and Subway systems would be a high infection system.
    I had expected virus would have run through the Califorinia homeless community in San Fran and LA - this again has not happened - hopefully climate is actually a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

A bit of foresight would have helped.
    Foresight to predict a worldwide shortage? Who has that

polesheep wrote:
    I take your point, but sometimes it is better to do something rather than nothing. If a test allows us to send people back into society in the knowledge that even 'some' of them have antibodies then we can a degree of confidence that we are at least looking at a reduced risk, because we will soon be sending people back into society one way or the other.

It isn't better to do something rather than nothing if that something isn't reliable.

No result is better than a wrong result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,468 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They are using a test for covid-19 in some US states which gives results inside 15 minutes. Apparently this was developed by an Irish company.
    Why are we not using this? Like we are way behind with our results.
    You could have two if these places set us in Dublin, one in Cork, Limerick and Galway and then some in the major satellite towns.

New Home wrote: »

Probably, unfortunately. Hot and dry climates might be a problem for the virus, but warm and humid? I don't know, wouldn't bet on when the other explanations are more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

New Home wrote: »

If hospitals had been over run, like North Italy and New York, it would have got out in our digital age of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I hope so, but when testing levels are low, you're working in an information vacuum, and that's before you get into human rights and press freedom.

You said it perfectly “vacuum” . It’s already admitted by nurses that the following is occurring too. ... The patients are awaiting tests , they die waiting...... cause of death on the certificate is “covid 19” . How many of this situation is happening daily to bring the dead numbers up ? This question is not being asked EVER.

dalyboy wrote: »
    You said it perfectly “vacuum” . It’s already admitted by nurses that the following is occurring too. ... The patients are awaiting tests , they die waiting...... cause of death on the certificate is “covid 19” . How many of this situation is happening daily to bring the dead numbers up ? This question is not being asked EVER.

I'm talking about Thailand. Our testing rate isn't great, but it's 8 times that of Thailand.

If deaths are being incorrectly attributed to COVID in Ireland, I haven't heard of it from any doctor or nurse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

dalyboy wrote: »

That seems to be an issue in most countries. Some countries are over estimating the death rates and others are underestimating. I’m not sure if any countries are giving accurate figures rather than estimates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

cajonlardo wrote: »
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/jadotville-picnic-compared-82-year-old-tom-gunn-surviving-coronavirus-995121

See this guy?

The Balubas couldn't kill him

Ex French Foreign Legion mercenaries couldn't kill him

The Belgian Gendarmie couldn't kill him.

And now Corona Virus couldn't kill him even though he is 82 years old.

"lying in a bed wasting away - not a very dignified way for a soldier to die" fighting spirit, endurance and tenacity and an innate toughness along with quiet intelligence

Jadoville Tiger Tom Gunn, you are a true Irish hero!

Yeah, but the people who have died from it didn’t fail. The treatment works or it doesn’t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

bb12 wrote: »
    "A patient is deemed fully recovered when two tests conducted with a 24-hour interval show negative results."

This is the first time I have seen this

So some of those who have been tested, and received the all-clear, may actually have had Coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    They are using a test for covid-19 in some US states which gives results inside 15 minutes. Apparently this was developed by an Irish company.
    You could have two if these places set us in Dublin, one in Cork, Limerick and Galway and then some in the major satellite towns.
    I mean they are fairly well behind our testing rates so they still have a backlog somewhere.

Lots of rumours of this and that and politicians of all creeds promising testing and cures. Don't always exist or there are bigger issues.

jackboy wrote: »
    That seems to be an issue in most countries. Some countries are over estimating the death rates and others are underestimating. I’m not sure if any countries are giving accurate figures rather than estimates.

Overall, because not everyone has been tested in any country, we're working from a "representative" sample. Some much more representative than others. The real figures for both infections and deaths are certainly higher than the official counts by an unknown % in every country, without exception.

There'll be some error in the other direction too, but the overall picture is that the counts we have are less than the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

https://twitter.com/GeorgeLeeRTE/status/1248272545398358016

I thought Tony Holohan said in his daily briefing yesterday that these have been included?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-shut-down-494-house-parties-in-four-days-in-greater-manchester-11971032
    Police in Manchester shut down 494 house parties in metropolitan area over the last 4 days

There's never been so many tangible examples of natural selection in action all at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

thebaz wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why the virus is not transmitting as rapidly as expected in Africa, South America and India ?

Figures are still very low, which seams very good news - in comparison to say America , which has a third of all cases, and way more than anywhere else.

Could ther be a climate effect , that has been dismissed by all experts, in this new virus

Lack of testing, poor health infrastructure, if you don't test your number of cases stays very low. In Ecuador they are providing cardboard coffins and dead bodies are remaining on the streets waiting for collection.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/world/americas/ecuador-coronavirus.html

merlin_171257964_ad1c4675-4bc3-4b04-b04b-55587304cfb2-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

26738702-0-image-a-58_1585851938520.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Sparko

I know someone who works in a factory and their employer announced yesterday that they will be offering a 15 minute antibody test to all employees early next week.

I've read that the UK have concluded that antibody tests aren't accurate enough so I don't know how successful this one will be but I'm curious to hear how the results pan out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

CSWS101 wrote: »

That's interesting so are these tests also not included in our testing numbers? 42k so far. Is it actually 59k? Why are we not being provided with clear data? Frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought Tony Holohan said in his daily briefing yesterday that these have been included?

He said they were being included in the modelling numbers but it was never clear if they were part of the daily numbers

I suppose having them in the daily numbers wouldn't make sense if they are weeks old

It's probably an antibody test. Higher error rates, also a lot more expensive to produce than a PCR test.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Sparko wrote: »
    I know someone who works in a factory and their employer announced yesterday that they will be offering a 15 minute antibody test to all employees early next week.

I've read that the UK have concluded that antibody tests aren't accurate enough so I don't know how successful this one will be but I'm curious to hear how the results pan out.

The employer is a dangerous clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 15 degrees in Cork City. Lovely when the sun is out but if the narrowest of clouds goes over it then its cold. Shows the difference between summer and spring!

Edit: Woops wrong forum! Disadvantage of switching between two boards tabs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They did and even gave a break down of the numbers. Doesn't make sense that. Unless they're that old that at this point dont really matter. Such as 3 weeks plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Regardless of testing their hospitals should be crazy. And from reading all their local news I'm just not seeing it. Very strange.

Administration in those countries would be non existent for the most part .......also as much as this might seem harsh to say, as horrible as the death toll is it's still very small %'s of populations .......what if 10 or 20 thousand died in the past couple of weeks in India's 1.4b.......it probably would hardly register

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Borris is fine and will be out of ICU in a few days. As someone has said he probably isn't allowed a phone in ICU. He was put in there because he was the prime minister and got special care.

And you know this for a fact? Better let the UK authorities, Johnson`s family, his girlfriend, the media etc. etc. know so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

About 15 degrees in Cork City. Lovely when the sun is out but if the narrowest of clouds goes over it then its cold. Shows the difference between summer and spring!

I think you`re in the wrong forum.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

It's probably an antibody test. Higher error rates, also a lot more expensive to produce than a PCR test.

Hardly more expensive to carry out than PCR, given lab time and number of people involved (taking swab, transporting, analysing in lab).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Foresight to predict a worldwide shortage? Who has that

No, foresight to understand the problem wholly and in detail. You know, the reason we pay the Taoiseach 200k a year and ministers 140k a year. So they examine and look into problems from every possible angle, envisage problems and bottle necks and work to solve them before they become a major issue.

No evidence of that in this regard.

As with everything related to covid 19, the govt and HSE waited until the sh*t hit the fan before acting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement