Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

joe_99 wrote: »
    That's interesting so are these tests also not included in our testing numbers? 42k so far. Is it actually 59k? Why are we not being provided with clear data? Frustrating.
    To date, 42,484 tests have been carried out in laboratories across the country. 12,271 tests were carried out in these laboratories in the week to midnight, Monday 6 April.

My reading of that, is the German tests are not included in those figures. Also worth noting, any positive cases from the German results, being from 2 weeks ago, if they are added to the current daily new cases, may look shockingly high and that we are not flattening the curve.
    Really need to see a curve based on date the test was taken or perhaps when that person developed symptoms.
    I'm sure the background modelling data is based on that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

And you know this for a fact? Better let the media know so.

Well they have said he is responding to treatment. Is not on a ventilator. Is sitting up in bed. Is in good spirits. That all points to him being ready to move from ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

Croatia is the country we and every other country in Europe should have copied. 19 deaths, which averages out at 1 every 2 days since their first confirmed case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Croatia

They have land borders with 5 other countries which made it far more complicated than us with a single border. But they managed to slow it down remarkably.

Their border police beat the virus back as soon as it sets foot in their country

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Didnt see anybody posting this, 4204 new cases and 610 new deaths in Italy.
    A slight increase on both

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sparko wrote: »
    I know someone who works in a factory and their employer announced yesterday that they will be offering a 15 minute antibody test to all employees early next week.

Thought they weren't available until May?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/08/uk-covid-19-antibody-tests-not-ready-until-may-at-earliest

Is there different versions does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,933 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If would be very beneficial for people stuck at home, give them something to do. But I understand your concerns.

It doesn’t overly concern me, as I won’t be visiting them.

More the point being the haphazard way this is. The authorities are dilly-dallying and oscillating this way and that way. Like they are trying to please everyone..

Talking out of both sides their mouth...

It’s odd....and just plain confusing, as well as sending out a message, that maybe this ain’t all that an issue...

They either want to end this or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

No, foresight to understand the problem wholly and in detail. You know, the reason we pay the Taoiseach 200k a year and ministers 140k a year. So they examine and look into problems from every possible angle, envisage problems and bottle necks and work to solve them before they become a major issue.

No evidence of that in this regard.

As with everything related to covid 19, the govt and HSE waited until the sh*t hit the fan before acting.

Maybe they focused too much on bringing on extra ICU capacity, extra ventilators, move staff around and God only knows what extra goes on in the background that the pubic don't see or wouldn't even grasp the sheer scale of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Is our department of health briefing on at 5 30 or later today? Apologies if already covered but can’t seem to find any answer on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Hardly more expensive to carry out than PCR, given lab time and number of people involved (taking swab, transporting, analysing in lab).

That's fair, I'm referring to the cost to manufacture kits, which tends to be higher for kits that use antibodies. Maybe the time and transport savings would make enough of a difference, I don't know.

Error rates would be an issue though, especially at scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Is our department of health briefing on at 5 30 or later today? Apologies if already covered but can’t seem to find any answer on twitter.

Fergal Bowers tweeted just as i seen this, 5:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Didnt see anybody posting this, 4204 new cases and 610 new deaths in Italy.
    A slight increase on both

How are they still getting so many new cases when they've been on lockdown for weeks? Is it because they are not wearing masks when going to shop

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

A bit of foresight would have helped.

The idiocy of some people saying we were going to ramp up to 15,000 tests a day or even 4,500 tests a day.

We don't even have enough reagent to process 1000 tests a day.

You are forgetting about the German lab capacity which I think is 2000 per day.It was being used to work through the backlog but that should be nearly cleared now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    How are they still getting so many new cases when they've been on lockdown for weeks? Is it because they are not wearing masks when going to shop

A mix of non-compliance in the general public and transmission to healthcare workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Shn99 wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers tweeted just as i seen this, 5:30.

Yeah just saw it. In U.K. seems set in stone at 5pm everyday now though we leave our politicians out of it save for a big announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1248284654119129092?s=19

That couldn't be right surely? There's no way 51000 are waiting for testing here given the criteria for testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Foresight to predict a worldwide shortage? Who has that

It isn't better to do something rather than nothing if that something isn't reliable.

No result is better than a wrong result.

On an individual basis, certainly. But I was talking about mass testing, which, even with errors, could be of use. Great discoveries are often just the accumulation of partial discoveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

That's fair, I'm referring to the cost to manufacture kits, which tends to be higher for kits that use antibodies. Maybe the time and transport savings would make enough of a difference, I don't know.

Error rates would be an issue though, especially at scale.

I'm not advocating using them as an alternative to PCR or in order to give people the all-clear to send them out to work (US style).

But I think we should be looking at them and consider all potential uses, i.e. use with PCR to improve accuracy and use to find antibody/plasma donors.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

A rather unsettling report on behaviour of COVID-19 which may cast a new light on the Chinese reports of reinfections.

About 51 patients classed as having been cured in South Korea have tested positive again, the CDC said in a briefing on Monday. Rather than being infected again, the virus may have been reactivated in these people, given they tested positive again shortly after being released from quarantine, said Jeong Eun-kyeong, director-general of the Korean CDC.

“While we are putting more weight on reactivation as the possible cause, we are conducting a comprehensive study on this,” Jeong said. “There have been many cases when a patient during treatment will test negative one day and positive another.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-09/coronavirus-may-reactivate-in-cured-patients-korean-cdc-says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1248284654119129092?s=19

That couldn't be right surely? There's no way 51000 are waiting for testing here given the criteria for testing.

How the f can people still be getting it at this point? We've been locked away for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

eagle eye wrote: »
    They are using a test for covid-19 in some US states which gives results inside 15 minutes. Apparently this was developed by an Irish company.
    Why are we not using this? Like we are way behind with our results.
    You could have two if these places set us in Dublin, one in Cork, Limerick and Galway and then some in the major satellite towns.

Are they good tests? Do they work?

The UK and Spain both ordered large batches of antibody tests from different suppliers and both of them rejected the tests as being non being accurate enough to work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They are using a test for covid-19 in some US states which gives results inside 15 minutes. Apparently this was developed by an Irish company.
    You could have two if these places set us in Dublin, one in Cork, Limerick and Galway and then some in the major satellite towns.
    Abbott is an American company, they've just developed the test and it appears their primary customer at the moment is the US

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5812664/5-minute-coronavirus-test/%3famp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

How the f can people still be getting it at this point? We've been locked away for 2 weeks.

I dont buy that 51k are waiting for tests. Every doctor infront the media has been saying getting the appointment isnt the issue it's been the wait for results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Because its an absolute sham.

Walmart, Target, CVS Health and Walgreens are hosting drive-thru testing in their car parks. Not even inside a building.

Pharmacists will oversee the process. Staff who have no experience in performing diagnostic testing.
    They're planning on having these centres in states including Texas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Arizona, Florida, Illinois and Kentucky.

Operating any diagnostic equipment in the scorching heat in those states alone is unbelievable.
    In any lab here, if you move an analyser or even a fridge from one part of a room to another, you have to calibrate and control it to ensure performance hasnt been effected.

The US are way behind in diagnostic testing. They are rolling out any and every kind of testing to get their numbers up.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/07/walgreens-to-open-15-drive-thru-coronavirus-testing-sites-across-7-states.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I think you`re in the wrong forum.;)

Oops awkward :P:o

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

CSWS101 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GeorgeLeeRTE/status/1248272545398358016

I thought Tony Holohan said in his daily briefing yesterday that these have been included?

The head of the HSE said on Sunday that the had been included since the previous Friday.

Total misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

we haven't though. Not Wuhan style. That's the only way to stop this spreading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’d really question the accuracy of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Really? Your faith in the willingness of these people to behave sensibly in one area when they’ve shown themselves to be selfish and irresponsible in another far exceeds mine clearly.
    You're assuming they've been selfish and irresponsible.

There have been loads of people whining online about cars coming off of ferries. Turns out they're all irish residents coming home...
    As to this being overblown. You clearly haven’t watched people die by slowly suffocating to death. It might change your mind.
    The traffic count on the N11 showed no appreciable increase in traffic at all yesterday.

So yes, the hysteria about people going down to holiday homes is overblown. There's no evidence that people are doing it in any real numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tom1ie wrote: »
    we haven't though. Not Wuhan style. That's the only way to stop this spreading.
    That's not practical anywhere except in regimes like that. Hungary is about the only place in Europe that would have a go at that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

You may well be right so sorry if any offence caused. I just hear a lot of different countries are different so their numbers must be different and we are great.

Eastern Europe means different things to different people. It is rarely used in a positive context.
    Now I know nothing about the testing in Croatia or otherwise but I don't Your original post assumed that they must be fudging the numbers if test rate is lower. They have a land border with Italy and closed it pretty early on.

We know we are underreporting cases because we are not able to process the samples fast enough. That I do know.

No offence taken, we're all probably a bit stressed out at the moment. No, I wouldn't think they're fudging them at all, my worry is they might not have the financial resources to deal with it and might be lagging behind. Under communism they would have had pretty decent health services, I don't know if that is still the case.
    And yes we've not covered ourselves in glory on the testing front, I have a brother who was tested 17 days ago and still has heard nothing back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement