Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Stheno wrote: »
    Abbott is an American company, they've just developed the test and it appears their primary customer at the moment is the US

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.com/5812664/5-minute-coronavirus-test/%3famp=true

They also have Irish operations. Even so, the current situation is companies are all sharing information on vaccines, testing, antibodies etc.

My take is this test is like a DIY breathalyser, it will give you indication but unreliable.

Trump of course is pumping this is an all American invention that every other country desperately wants them to share, but he can only share it once they have enough for themselves.

I am not aware of there being much international demand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,139 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The Dunning-Kruger effect.

Wash your hands, it is much simpler and it is more effective. I know how to use gloves, and I don't do it. I just wash my hands. Wash your hands, do it again.
    I agree with you generally.
    It just bugs me re. Gloves. " If people wear gloves they're likely to touch their faces thinking they're safe !
    Don't wear them !
    Talking down to people like that annoys me . Any one even half intelligent who uses gloves should know the outside is 'dirty'.

It is if you're using to justify travel, because you're "keeping it simple" in some sense. What could be simpler is staying at home and only going out when you need to, rather than any time you can justify it because you've kept it simple.

I'm more thinking of anyone who lives in apartment blocks who can isolate somewhere more suitable.
    We don't know the situation of everyone moving homes temporarily. No doubt some fools and some genuine people.
    It's just tarring them with the same brush without knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's not practical anywhere except in regimes like that. Hungary is about the only place in Europe that would have a go at that!

agreed. that's why we'll be in this half arsed "lockdown" for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tom1ie wrote: »
    agreed. that's why we'll be in this half arsed "lockdown" for months.
    I think they'll unwind this 2km thing at the end of April and most of it by the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

bekker wrote: »
    A rather unsettling report on behaviour of COVID-19 which may cast a new light on the Chinese reports of reinfections.

About 51 patients classed as having been cured in South Korea have tested positive again, the CDC said in a briefing on Monday. Rather than being infected again, the virus may have been reactivated in these people, given they tested positive again shortly after being released from quarantine, said Jeong Eun-kyeong, director-general of the Korean CDC.

“While we are putting more weight on reactivation as the possible cause, we are conducting a comprehensive study on this,” Jeong said. “There have been many cases when a patient during treatment will test negative one day and positive another.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-09/coronavirus-may-reactivate-in-cured-patients-korean-cdc-says

Much more likely to be testing errors, or if not, a very rare effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

How the f can people still be getting it at this point? We've been locked away for 2 weeks.

They are just unwell. Who says they have the virus.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think they'll unwind this 2km thing at the end of April and most of it by the end of June.

fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion and just for the record i really hope your version is correct, but to be honest i just don't see it.
    Even if you are correct, if we unwind restrictions before a vaccine is available, we will be back to square 1. The virus wont have gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

How on earth if you have received 17000 results and 1000 new cases can you not include them as you receive them.RTE reported online on Sunday that the head of the HSE said the figures from Germany had been included since the previous Friday.

Totally messes up any figures that I had been basing my projections on.

I have been totally misled by the information and have been wrong in my posts.I apologise if I misled anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

seamus wrote: »
    You're assuming they've been selfish and irresponsible.

There hav been loads of people whining online about cars coming off of ferries. Turns out they're all irish residents coming home...
    The traffic count on the N11 showed no appreciable increase in traffic at all yesterday.

So yes, the hysteria about people going down to holiday homes is overblown. There's no evidence that people are doing it in any real numbers.

I live near a west cork holiday destination village with many holiday homes.
    The homes are empty most of the year, but have been filling up this week.

I can't vouch for the rest of the country just what I see here..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I agree but given it's a novel virus latency and future reactivation similar to chicken pox/shingles can't be ruled out either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion and just for the record i really hope your version is correct, but to be honest i just don't see it.
    Even if you are correct, if we unwind restrictions before a vaccine is available, we will be back to square 1. The virus wont have gone away.

Thats the thing they know it wont go away and Harris said today it wont be stamped out here. A point will come where the virus will co exist but to an extent that the hospitals can manage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

jackboy wrote: »
    That seems to be an issue in most countries. Some countries are over estimating the death rates and others are underestimating. I’m not sure if any countries are giving accurate figures rather than estimates.

I'm just wondering. Testing is so inconsistent and the numbers of deaths are being over and under reported. The figures from different countries can't even be properly compared due to differences in how deaths are being counted. Is there any value in just looking at the increase in deaths, let's say in a month, to what would normally occur in a region. I'd imagine that not all of the increase would be due to Covid as there are extra deaths occuring in some regions due to the knock on effect of the virus, but is this a simpler indicator of the effects of the virus on an area.

There is at least one paper from China on this. This Snopes link comments on the question.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid-19-reinfection/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

How on earth if you have received 17000 results and 1000 new cases can you not include them as you receive them.RTE reported online on Sunday that the head of the HSE said the figures from Germany had been included since the previous Friday.

Totally messes up any figures that I had been basing my projections on.

I have been totally misled by the information and have been wrong in my posts.I apologise if I misled anyone.

It's not your fault,but howling and the hse definitely are loosing all credibility

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

28 more deaths RIP to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What time is the briefing on at?

500 new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Thats the thing they know it wont go away and Harris said today it wont be stamped out here. A point will come where the virus will co exist but to an extent that the hospitals can manage

Yes and the key is to give the hospitals as much chance to get the infrastructure in place to do this, if we reduce the restrictions too early, they will be overrun, and wont' get a chance to "breath".

the hospitals are just about managing at the moment with everyone supposedly locked away (even though we are not really) what do you think will happen when restrictions are lifted.
    Even if we got c19 out of Ireland then lifted the restrictions, do you not think it will be imported back in on a flight from somewhere?
    its here to stay until a vaccine is made unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

28 more deaths. 22 in the east. 2 in north west. 2 in south.2 in west. Median age 84.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Tony on Virgin One now.

8.2% growth today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

51,000 waiting to be tested, well that's just super.

About 8.3% increase, so no change in restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

the hospitals are just about managing at the moment with everyone supposedly locked away (even though we are not really) what do you think will happen when restrictions are lifted.
    Even if we got c19 out of Ireland then lifted the restrictions, do you not think it will be imported back in on a flight from somewhere?
    its here to stay until a vaccine is made unfortunately.

Nobody says it isnt here to stay but restrictions will be lifted. They've said that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Serious jump today.

RIP to the 28 who have passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

500 new cases.

This can be attributed to the tests being sent back from Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fck. I thought maybe the numbers might hover around the 3oo and something mark. 500 is bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Tandey wrote: »
    Serious jump today. RIP to the 25 who have passed away.

Not at all
    8% increase

• Advertisement

153 in ICU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement