Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

The median age of deaths in Ireland is 81

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Italy 4316 cases and down to 525 deaths. Very hopefull.

P.s. Still very high deaths but in the context of almost 900 a day 2 weeks ago. RIP.

An elderly couple that are long term family friends of my own family have sadly passed away within 24 hours of each other. When the numbers are released for Northern Ireland over the next couple of days, it’s surreal that they will be part of that statistic.

RIP B & M xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

fritzelly wrote: »
    I cannot imagine any other politician doing this several times a day, taking time out to answer kids questions and come across as very personable and affable

https://twitter.com/SimonHarrisTD/status/1246822462546939907

Would prefer competency meself. When the dust settles the history books shall not be kind in regards to his time in office. And judging by the haunted look of him, he well knows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Staff in temple street are being forced to take annual leave its so quiet . Never thought I'd see the day

4 weeks of kids isolated at home has killed off a lot of the standard viruses and illnesses circling I’m guessing as well as cancelled clinics to allow for surge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Is Ireland really among the top tier in terms of testing numbers?

Earlier today HSE chief executive Paul Raid said Ireland ranked “among the top tier in the world in terms of numbers we are testing” and that “pro rata we are testing well”.

Dr Seán L’Estrange from UCD’s school of sociology got in touch with the Irish Times live blog to say these claims of Ireland being among the top tier for testing were “not substantiated by evidence” and that available comparative data paints a very different picture.

Based on data from the Worldometer site:

Ireland's per capita testing rate is currently no. 36 in its list 208 countries and territories in the world.
    Amongst European countries and territories, Ireland is ranked at no. 23.
    Ireland’s testing rate is 6.1k per million. This is 1/6th the rate of Luxembourg, a quarter that of Malta, one third that of Norway and Switzerland, 40% that of Slovenia and half that of Austria—all small-sized European states.
    With respect to larger states, it is 55% that of Germany and Italy and only 20% more than the United States. It is almost twice the rate for France and above twice the rate for the UK, though these are well-known low-testing countries.
    Ireland's test rate is about 40% higher than that of the Netherlands (a country toying with the controversial 'herd immunity' strategy) and Sweden, the great European outlier, is testing at 60% the rate of Ireland.
    “There has been a lot of ‘aren’t we great’ claims on testing coming from official spokespersons yet without substantiating evidence,” wrote Dr L’Estrange in his correspondence with the Irish Times.

“I think these figures put those claims into context and show that Ireland has quite a way to go before it can congratulate itself on being in any kind of ‘top tier’ European or world-wide.”

Dr L’Estrange underlined that he had yet to investigate the underlying sources used for the Worldometer testing numbers data but that he had examined the site’s data for other measures and it had previously traced back to official sources. “I consider the site reliable as a first port of call,” he said.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0405/1128590-covid19-coronavirus-tracker/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

How full are the icu's in hospitals in Dublin city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you have said but lessons must be learned from this. Animal welfare issues must be addressed for all countries including our own

I suppose I think it’s more important that we learn to sweep our own side of the road. Even if China outlaws these markets, people are people. In the middle of nowhere , people will still eat animals that aren’t safe. There are less educated countries that will have poor hygiene aswell that increases the chances of virus spreading and mutating.

So it’s more important we do what the asian Countries did after SARS and presume we will have another outbreak to deal with and plan that way. Again, it’s about looking at what role you can play in the solution, rather then expecting somebody else to take all that responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Would prefer competency meself. When the dust settles the history books shall not be kind in regards to his time in office. And judging by the haunted look of him, he well knows it.

He has guaranteed that he'll be leader of FG someday and probably Taoiseach.

If he runs for President in time, he'll walk it.

• Advertisement

The haunted look might be more to do with the fact he has crohn's disease and is knackered I'd say

Danzy wrote: »

Christ almighty....

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Not a chance. He had an awful time as health minister. People tend to rally behind leaders in times if trouble just like Bush with his 90% approval after 9/11 but that won't be long about faiding afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

An elderly couple that are long term family friends of my own family have sadly passed away within 24 hours of each other. When the numbers are released for Northern Ireland over the next couple of days, it’s surreal that they will be part of that statistic.

RIP B & M xxx

This is so sad, sorry for your loss. If its any consolation, at least they went together :(

RIP B&M x

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Christ almighty....

Maybe I am in the minority, but Harris for me has real potential. 33 years of age.

Easy for layabouts and keyboard warriors to criticise and slate politicians, and get wrapped up in the populist substance-less and vacuous abuse of them.

Harris has quality, articulation, determination, and above all, a genuine decency and kindness and empathy; that is lost on the masses today, who mainly want to slate and polarise and criticise.

Btw, not calling you a layabout or keyboard warrior.

Have RTE ditched the new Kathryn Thomas programme Operaton Covid Nation?

I hope so, the last thing you'd want is reports from around the country with 'Shouting' Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Naggdefy wrote: »

I hope so, the last thing you'd want is reports from around the country with 'Shouting' Thomas.

Hope so - nothing more than a self serving junket for the presenters and production company

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Italy 4316 cases and down to 525 deaths. Very hopefull.

P.s. Still very high deaths but in the context of almost 900 a day 2 weeks ago. RIP.

Definitely on the downwards trend still. Although the numbers are still heartbreaking it's a positive trend at the moment.

Hopefully spain can keep the trend on downward curve next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

walshb wrote: »
    Maybe I am in the minority, but Harris for me has real potential. 33 years of age.

Easy for layabouts and keyboard warriors to criticise and slate politicians, and get wrapped up in the populist substance-less and vacuous abuse of them.

Harris has quality, articulation, determination, and above all, a genuine decency and kindness and empathy; that is lost on the masses today, who mainly want to slate and polarise and criticise.

National Children's Hospital...

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I agree, bit of a cometh the hour cometh the man vibe about him.

I'd fundamentally disagree with him on many issues but I now have a lot of respect for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Not a hope of ever being president or Taoiseach.

And unlikely for the FG leader too unless FG go the way of the Labour party which seems very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I mentioned the possible demise of the EU on here a few weeks ago and was met with derision.

Since 2016 we've seen nationalism raise its head in many forms around the world. From Brexit, Trump, our own vote for Peter Casey in the presidential election.
    I didn't deride you. But I was already of that opinion before you posted. Covid19 is gold for ultranationalist groups in Europe. And it's an easy sell to the people

Would you honestly describe his tenure as MFH a success?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

No they don't want to slate polarise and criticise they just dont want to accept a health service that has been failing for years and the guy in the driving seat has to accept responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Would you honestly describe his tenure as MOH a success?

Would you describe anyone's?

From Combat 18 to Covid 19: 25 Years that changed a nation.

Nice title for a history book Ireland 1995-2020. It would include:

Combat 18 and the Lansdowne Riots.
    Divorce Referendum December 1995.
    Veronica Guerin's murder June 1996.
    Olympic stories from Michelle Smith, Cian O'Connor to Annelise Murphy, Katie Taylor and the O'Donovans.
    The Peace Process and Good Friday Agreement 1998.
    Celtic Tiger Years.
    Bank Bail out and economic collapse 2008.
    2015 Marriage Referendum.
    2018 Repeal the 8th.

And lots, lots more..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Would you honestly describe his tenure as MOH a success?

Define success?

You can never ever please everyone if you are a politician..

No matter what politician is in whatever portfolio, he/she can be slated and criticised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The last I read it was still going ahead on RTE but that the title had been changed. Mind you that was 10 days or so ago. Maybe there have been developments since then. Unlikely that I will watch it in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

owlbethere wrote: »
    He's such a dote

You misspelled dose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,484 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Cannot remember where I saw the video (some news report) - one American saying we survived the first 18 why's this one so different - I fear for the US

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement