Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Nobody is trying to spin it positive. If you watch the press conference here there are some great stats being given.

ICU numbers are what you watch. The R is now also alot lower. Nearly at 1 according to Philip nolan

because of this half lockdown. Imagine if there were no restrictions what would the R be then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The 51,000 figure has to be BS surely

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If there's over 50,000 waiting on a test and the positivity rate is around 20% as we have seen, then...….I'll let you do the maths on it. 500 is not a big figure in that scenario.
    And that ignores those who are asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Why say it's a sham, it used to be know as the Alere before bought out by Abbott and rebranded in'19 as ID Now. Abbott Labs is not exactly a fly-by-night operation. The Alere i was in uses for 'flu testing in '17.

508901.png
    It's described as, 'Easy to use with only minimal training requirements', 'QC lock-out'

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/01/detroit-to-be-first-to-deploy-abbott-labs-5-minute-covid-19-test-mayor-says/

&*~! ment to quote Martina1991

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

tom1ie wrote: »
    co exist?
    but restrictions are keeping the rates low.
    if we lift restrictions more people will be infected without a vaccine.
    this is just common sense

Look it's in articles quoting the health minister so go and read them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

is_that_so wrote: »
    Transmission rate is close to 1 says Nolan!

A complete joke statistic given we have no idea how many are infected. Another useless "expert", this Nolan, who has already embarrassed himself with his 15000 March stat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The worry is now we’ll see exponential

8% increase today isn’t bad
    We’ve to keep there and below

tom1ie wrote: »
    because of this half lockdown. Imagine if there were no restrictions what would the R be then?

Hes going through that now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Do you know what the word median means?

I've a Degree in Maths, so yes - do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So 15,000 tests a day and the contact tracing app is never going to materialise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Poorside wrote: »
    Fergal Bowers tweeted that micheāl Martin said this.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1248290742726021121?s=19

Last night the guy from the nvrl said that there's a 2 or 3 day wait for community testing (and a week to 10 days wait for community results).

As we aren't testing 17k a day someone is wrong.

Hopefully the cmo can clear this up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

The death figures are the biggest con-job.

The vast majority of these people have just reached the end of their very long natural lifespans.

Maybe don't refer to the deaths of real people as con jobs. Have a heart will ya.

keynes wrote: »
    A complete joke statistic given we have no idea how many are infected. Another useless "expert", this Nolan, who has already embarrassed himself with his 15000 March stat

That would have been without any measures and hes just after going through what the numbers would have looked like, so you cant say he would have been wrong. I'm sure you'd do better than a professor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The worry is now we’ll see exponential

8% increase today isn’t bad
    We’ve to keep there and below

We're not going to see exponential from this point. We've been under restrictions for nearly a month

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

For those who don't understand the median number - below examples might help

91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 90 86 85 84 70 65 60 55 50 45 40 40 38 35 33 32 31

The medium in the above list of numbers is 84, the average is 69.

The medium in the below list of numbers is 84, the average is 86.

91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 90 86 85 84 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Look it's in articles quoting the health minister so go and read them

I have read them.
    virus don't co-exist with humans. They replicate.
    if we lift restrictions without a vaccine, numbers shoot up and that's a fact.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They estimate that 50% of people who have it are asymptomatic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The R number and ICU admissions are the most important factors really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Is there anywhere I can watch this live on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Some posters here should be ashamed of themselves. Saying death figures are not bad. One death is bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Maybe don't refer to the deaths of real people as con jobs. Have a heart will ya.

I'm referring to the figures, not the deaths - but then again, I'd say you know that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

very hard now to see what is going to happen now in regards to the economy.

People need to get back working but cases will explode when this happens.
    We will need to be in lockdown for another 2 months at least. But im not if many people will have jobs to go back to if this goes on for longer which it probably will have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

is_that_so wrote: »
    Transmission rate is close to 1 says Nolan!

That's brilliant news.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,712 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Arghus wrote: »

Facebook - look for the RTE News link

And on Twitter

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1248291114618163205

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Arghus wrote: »

RTE News Now channel, on RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

polesheep wrote: »
    That's brilliant news.

Personally I think 1 is alarmingly high considering the level of restrictions to normal life right now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

easypazz wrote: »
    We really need to see the number of tests to get the 500.

If we tested 5000 yesterday to get 300 but tested 15000 today to get 500 then we are comparing apples and oranges.

28 deaths, is not bad.

Median age 84, again, need more info, is this mainly nursing home clusters are where?

More likely they were tested last month in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP today's 28

I don't think we are flattening the curve

We most certainly are. A steep curve would have went 10 20 40 80 160 people dying per day we have maxed out in aroudn the 30 mark. Now there will be days that that's up or down but we have most defiantly flattened the curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

froog wrote: »
    our testing program is a complete joke. we have no idea how many are infected or how this thing is growing.
    not only that, we dont know how many are dying from it as it seems everyone who has it and dies is counted as a C19 death no matter what other life threatening conditions they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The death figures are the biggest con-job.

The vast majority of these people have just reached the end of their very long natural lifespans.

Con-job? These are people's lives, not some scam...

The vast majority have reached the end of their very long natural lifespans? Any evidence to back up that bullsh*t?

The age figures we keep getting are median, not mean. Not that I expect you to understand the difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement