Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ace2007 wrote: »
    For those who don't understand the median number - below examples might help

91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 90 86 85 84 70 65 60 55 50 45 40 40 38 35 33 32 31

The medium in the above list of numbers is 84, the average is 69.

The medium in the below list of numbers is 84, the average is 86.

91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 90 86 85 84 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83

Median

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    How much extra ICU capacity for overflows was built?

Cheers

Well in the matter hospital they have 18 standard ICU beds (which are full)
    They have 18 extra added in the high dependency unit and have capacity to add ventilators in wards.
    I can't find country wide figures, but it was reported the surge beds would add 500 ICU beds and an additional 1000 ventilators

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭XsApollo

We actually have no idea how many cases are popping up now.
    We need the backlog cleared, basically these confirmed cases are from whenever , could be 2-3 week old swabs.
    The numbers are meaningless at this point.
    Our deaths are a bit scewed too due to the locations of them I would inagine.
    We need to be in a position where we are getting result from swans that have been taken in the last few days.

Could probably throw have the swabs we need testing in the bin and start testing recent ones to get a more accurate figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Can we put an article explaining median into the first post of every thread?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From the HSE briefing document on gov.ie

Gender of patients
    Gender Number % of Total
    Female 3425 53.2
    Male 27923 45.4
    Unknown 96 1.5
    Total 6444

*All statistics measured at midnight on Tuesday 7 April.

I know they are under pressure, but if they cannot spot that error (which is based on yesterday's figures) you do wonder.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm I a mean median or mode Joe Soap ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

thebaz wrote: »
    I have no idea - but ther is discrepancies in nearly all the data including our own- just outlining ther is alternatives to extreme lockdown, that many here are pushing - south Korea have it pretty much under control and they never went into lockdown - just really fear for the secondary casualties (such as in these reports today:-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/coronavirus-could-push-half-a-billion-people-into-poverty-oxfam-warns

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52236936

How different were the steps taken by South Korea than our "lockdown"? Genuine question. They have done a great job, so interested to hear. (But I would be very cautious about changing to follow their methods unless we can also follow their incredible testing regime)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

lawred2 wrote: »
    Median

Ohhh...
    So the medium is the average of the median, mean and mode.

Ah I get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Beasty wrote: »
    Why could they not simply say what they could do in the first place. They were not even caveating the figures they were throwing out a few weeks ago. All they had to do was say, we can take 1,500 swabs a day and hope to increase that to 5,000 or whatever, and we can deliver 750 test results a day, but hope to increase that to 2,000 (as they still seem to be struggling to get that many). That avoids a backlash in places like this.

Consistently they have been using terminology that leave them wiggle room, but it comes across as almost deception. All they have to do is be honest. If they can't produce the information, say so, and say what they hope to do to address it (if anything)

A possible issue with the tests was that they had placed an order for swabs, reagent kits etc. but the supplier/s pulled out, cut the amount, had to prioritise domestic or other customers.

All governments are heavily dependent on individual private sector suppliers in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

easypazz wrote: »
    I don't think so, we've seen how bad other countries are getting it and I think most people now get it.

Sorry, I just mean, if we keep deaths down and don't overload our health system and get back to a more restricted way of life, people may think it wasn't worth it.
    A year or so from now, if there's a vaccine, I can only imagine all the political point scoring that will go on.
    But, I just want to be alive this time next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

fritzelly wrote: »
    51k figure is wrong doc confirms

Good stuff, did they give the correct figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

froog wrote: »
    ireland are now 13th in the world for deaths per capita. taking out the micro countries we are 10th.

That's frightening

I knew 3-4 weeks ago that the infrastructure of our health system wouldn't handle this. Nor would the government act fast enough

I've friends in three different countries who are dealing with this 5 times better and looked into living in one of them (I've lived in two of them previously) for as long as I could get a visa there

With closed borders all over the world (and for a long time), that ship has passed

Now every day my anxiety grows to scary levels and my mental health is on its knees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The death figures are the biggest con-job.

The vast majority of these people have just reached the end of their very long natural lifespans.

I know you post these to get a rise out of people but thing is it's all so predictable. You have to up your game and think outside the box. 2/10, must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    My guess is that the total on the test list is 51k of which around 45k have been processed in the lab (I saw a figure of over 43k for yesterday), so about 6k waiting and some of those are with the German labs.
    Martin is a clown
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1248306093626982400?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

How different were the steps taken by South Korea than our "lockdown"? Genuine question. They have done a great job, so interested to hear. (But I would be very cautious about changing to follow their methods unless we can also follow their incredible testing regime)

Ther testing seamed a lot more organised than ours, I believe ours has been poorly managed, we always seam to be behind, too much emphasis on backward tracing when we can not test people who are actually sick - I know we have been hampered by a worldwide shorting of tests and test kits - but in comparison to Germany and Korea we have been poor regarding testing -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Now every day my anxiety grows to scary levels and my mental health is on its knees

Avoid this thread then my friend.

The majority of posts here are speculative nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

From the HSE briefing document on gov.ie

Gender of patients
    Gender Number % of Total
    Female 3425 53.2
    Male 27923 45.4
    Unknown 96 1.5
    Total 6444

*All statistics measured at midnight on Tuesday 7 April.

I know they are under pressure, but if they cannot spot that error (which is based on yesterday's figures) you do wonder.....

did they swop the gender numbers? cant remember yesterdays nah my crappy eyesight typo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,689 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Avoid this thread then my friend.

The majority of posts here are speculative nonsense.

Tbf the worst has been banned so thread be better from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That's frightening

I knew 3-4 weeks ago that the infrastructure of our health system wouldn't handle this. Nor would the government act fast enough

I've friends in three different countries who are dealing with this 5 times better and looked into living in one of them (I've lived in two of them previously) for as long as I could get a visa there

With closed borders all over the world (and for a long time), that ship has passed

Stay at home and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

wakka12 wrote: »
    Ireland has overtaken both Iran and the US in number of deaths per capita, it is one of the highest in the world

Jesus. Must say I read that and gave a rather big involuntary sigh. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

spookwoman wrote: »
    mortality went from 3.87% to 4%

Worldwide or specifically Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

1 million or so people die every day for the past 100 years. Just think about it

On average 90 people a day in Ireland. RIP to all who died in Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Gynoid wrote: »
    Jesus. Must say I read that and gave a rather big involuntary sigh. :(

Seriously.

The way they count their deaths and how we do is so much different.

Since when did Iran become some state of the art first world honest country?

People really need to calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

70 doctors and nurses infected in cavan.
    I guess they were all living together and none of them contracted in work.
    Nothing to do with PPE.

If this is true why don't they show the percentage of them who actually lived with a colleague. I bet it's nothing near one hundred percent.

Saying Where someone acquired the infection is impossible. HSE covering their arse by saying transmission wasn't nosocomial for fear of future law suits no doubt.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/consultants-sent-to-cavan-hospital-after-70-medics-infected-with-coronavirus-1.4225029

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Worldwide or specifically Ireland?

The clue is in the username.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

They just said testing centres are empty because there’s no backlog.

Im still scratching my head at that one:confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

speckle wrote: »
    did they swop the gender numbers? cant remember yesterdays

they added an extra digit to the males figure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Wibbs wrote: »
    Interesting findings about the unusually high viral loads in the throats of covid infected people, including asymptomatic ones. Link here to the Irish Times.
    and
    Prof Luke O’Neill of Trinity College Dublin.

“It means it is very transmissible just by talking. You don’t need to cough,” he said. Also, people without symptoms, “are very infectious,” he added.

Which kinda answers the notions earlier about the small risk of just talking near someone with this is. All I can say is I'm glad I've been wearing masks for the last fortnight and glad to see others doing so when I have. I've also been wiping down my shopping, which I thought "ah hang on, you're losing it here Ted". Now I might well catch this vile dose and I'l,l be happy to take the "na na I told you so" :D , but it won't be from want of trying not to, or being concerned about passing it to someone else.

You won't laughing when you get a dose of this even when wearing the mask I tell ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

This is turning into a bit of a mess now.
    Peak always seems to be two weeks away.

It’s obvious now that the government and advisory committee made a bad call with the current lockdown.

There’s too many people working and on the move.

This needed the hard lockdown two weeks ago. Medical ,carers and food distribution and supermarkets only.
    Everything else should have been stopped two weeks ago.

We’re going to be messing around with a half arsed lockdown for 6 months at the way things are going now.

What they are trying to do by keeping non essential so called essential businesses open is like trying to shove water up a hill in regards suppressing the virus.

I reckon another 3-4 weeks and people will just have enough of this soft route with no end in sight

It's easy to say just lockdown the country but to realise how many people need to keep the country running is a lot more than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Why could they not simply say what they could do in the first place. They were not even caveating the figures they were throwing out a few weeks ago. All they had to do was say, we can take 1,500 swabs a day and hope to increase that to 5,000 or whatever, and we can deliver 750 test results a day, but hope to increase that to 2,000 (as they still seem to be struggling to get that many). That avoids a backlash in places like this.

Consistently they have been using terminology that leave them wiggle room, but it comes across as almost deception. All they have to do is be honest. If they can't produce the information, say so, and say what they hope to do to address it (if anything)
    Been watching HSE, DoH and CMO appearing before various committee and their public statements in other venues over the years.

Obfuscation and terminology redefinition is their normal modus operandi.

Why people believe that these entities underwent corporate culture transplants with the onset of COVID-19 is totally baffling.

Dr Tony Holohan have been in post for over 12 years, which is too long for any chief advisor to a government.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement