Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

Philip Nolan said for every 5 cases we detect there are 5 we don't detect.

So the real number of new cases today is 1000.

Not my stats, theirs.

Hes assuming it in his model, he doesn't know it. Seems reasonable as many people have very mild symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'd rather not say. I'm usually a huge fan of them, hence they're the only politician on Socials that I follow

But I'm now less of a fan if the statement they made re; ICUs is hyperbole

I don’t see what is to be gained from making that announcement. It’s actually very reckless. There’s a risk of people getting into a panic and trying to move near to a hospital that isn’t full.
    If it’s a lefty politician making the allegation then that’s just lefty stuff. There isn’t a tragedy they won’t try to use to make a political point for their own gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

RobertKK wrote: »
    A health minister who wanted a rugby match cancelled because 5k Italians would be in a crowded station.
    Our current health minister said it was fine for them to come and be "out and about" in Dublin.
    No screening, no quarantine to discourage them from coming, no coincidence that Dublin is where around 55% of cases are.
    Carelessness with allowing people in and no quarantine made this far worse.

The department of health also said it was not their guidelines to cancel visits to nursing homes, when the body over nursing homes said people shouldn't visit nursing homes.

We shouldn't be saying "who might have done a better job?" as if doing a bad job should be acceptable and applauded as being doing a good job.

There is a reason we had a general election, it was down to the health minister doing a bad job, nothing has changed.

Do you think Louise O'Reilly SF would be doing a stellar job here?

I seriously doubt it, and I don't think many others would have confidence in her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

lbj666 wrote: »
    Name one good minister for health in our entire history.

Dr Noel Browne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yesterday a Dr. said same to Zara King on Virgin Media News

The physical ICU is full. There is however significant additional ICU capacity in HDU, PCI suites, theatres, PACU, Cardiothoracic HDUs/CCUs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Noel Browne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Noel Browne although he was vilified by many including the Catholic church hierarchy at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

easypazz wrote: »

I seriously doubt it, and I don't think many others would have confidence in her either.

Louise O Reilly SF. Jesus can you imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

splinter65 wrote: »
    Louise O Reilly SF. Jesus can you imagine.

I would prefer not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-travel-5032358-Mar2020/
    Speaking about why the Italy versus Ireland Six Nations game was called off, but the restriction of flights from Italy has not been announced, Harris said suspending the rugby game was a specific decision made due to it involving a large number of people from the affected area congregating in confined space for a prolonged period of time.

He said there is not the same risk with people travelling from areas of Italy who are “out and about” in open spaces, adding that there is no travel ban currently in the EU.

He was like a Tory using the EU as cover for his own inaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah seems PPE a real issue. No doubt they'll say they lived together.
    Local TD Pauline Tully told Shannonside Northern Sound News that proper protective equipment was not provided to staff and shower and changing facilities are not up to standard:

She claims staff have become infected with Covid-19 after they were treating patients without the appropriate PPE, with many other staff described as “fearful for themselves and their families”.

The situation in the hospital has been described as “very scary” by a member of staff who spoke off the record to Northern Sound, with concerns over the number of staff testing positive.
    70 doctors and nurses infected in cavan.
    I guess they were all living together and none of them contracted in work.
    Nothing to do with PPE.

If this is true why don't they show the percentage of them who actually lived with a colleague. I bet it's nothing near one hundred percent.

Saying Where someone acquired the infection is impossible. HSE covering their arse by saying transmission wasn't nosocomial for fear of future law suits no doubt.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/consultants-sent-to-cavan-hospital-after-70-medics-infected-with-coronavirus-1.4225029

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Gynoid wrote: »
    I don't look at these press conferences the govt have, but from following commentary on here they must be fecken indecipherable. Are they speaking in Swahili, or what? Nothing seems to be straightforward.

doing Swahili a diservice, spin speak, talk around the truth speak anything but just say it, like it is, both good and bad..... etc

So there is a lot of debate on here about lifting restriction and nobody can find agreement. When do people think our hospitals should go back functioning like regular hospitals. I.e. Caring for out patients, elective surgery's. Seems very unfair that someone could be in chronic pain waiting on an operation and has to wait indefinalty. I think they need to consider assigning a Covid hospital and all other hospitals run as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Worztron wrote: »

Makes a great point about the need to get fresh air into hospital wards, to help dilute the viral load in the air... but modern hospitals rely on ventilation systems rather than opening large windows like the old hospital wards.

I made this point myself a couple of weeks ago, and how these wards must be a very toxic environment with huge quantities of the virus hanging in the air. Almost certainly increasing the rate that healthcare workers are getting sick, but also potentially making patients even sicker breathing in large amounts of the virus from other patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

easypazz wrote: »

We ve decifered that Noel Browne would be the only guy in our history that would up for the job. But ive my doubts since he was of an era where you could easier keep a lid on info getting out to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Ffs 500 more cases. Not flattening at all.

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    So there is a lot of debate on here about lifting restriction and nobody can find agreement. When do people think our hospitals should go back functioning like regular hospitals. I.e. Caring for out patients, elective surgery's. Seems very unfair that someone could be in chronic pain waiting on an operation and has to wait indefinalty. I think they need to consider assigning a Covid hospital and all other hospitals run as normal.

We are in the middle of a pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Makes a great point about the need to get fresh air into hospital wards, to help dilute the viral load in the air... but modern hospitals rely on ventilation systems rather than opening large windows like the old hospital wards.

I made this point myself a couple of weeks ago, and how these wards must be a very toxic environment with huge quantities of the virus handing in the air. Almost certainly increasing the rate that healthcare workers are getting sick, but also potentially making patients even sicker breathing in large amounts of the virus from other patients.
    maybe go back to the TB era. didnt they bring some patients out into the fresh air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

1 million or so people die every day for the past 100 years. Just think about it

That seems very high to me, where did you get that figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

Gynoid wrote: »
    I don't look at these press conferences the govt have, but from following commentary on here they must be fecken indecipherable. Are they speaking in Swahili, or what? Nothing seems to be straightforward.

I'd fault the listeners rather than those speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

We ve decifered that Noel Browne would be the only guy in our history that would up for the job. But ive my doubts since he was of an era where you could easier keep a lid on info getting out to the public.

That didn't work out too well for MacBride and Costello. When he resigned, Browne made public their sycophantic letters to the Catholic church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Not trying to say one thing either way but I have a family member that runs a national supermarket. This crisis has been going on for a few weeks so obviously anecdotal. Much talk about masks etc. Supermarkets have been doing social distancing etc for the last while. Talk about risks in supermarkets and I think it is again anecdotal but a good idea of how or when we as a general population can move out of this gradually.

There has been no staff off sick since the start of this. None showing symptoms currently even though they get paid while off. In a scenario where we all feel we are at risk while in there for a short time, these staff are not coming down with sickness while in there all day.

Just a thought about what is ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Beasty wrote: »
    Jeez! They are no-where near the headlines compared to Italy and Spain. I guess we're all getting used to seeing these atrocious figures. Unfortunately I have a feeling the UK is going to be up there in a few more days.

I don't know Beasty. I have a lot of friends and family and family on the frontline in the UK and they all are ok. They are although in fear of this surge as we were here in Ireland over the last few weeks. I don't normally have much of a reaction, with my disability towards others, but I do see alot of fear mongering in the media which is affecting too many people all over the world. I wish that would stop. I don't like to see so many people upset over something that dosn't seem to be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Problem is when a lockdown looks more like family picnics outside...then you know it is not ...

We are in the middle of a pandemic

Yes but a pandemic that could go on for a year or more. We need a permanent solution. We can't keep going like this indefinalty.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

derossi wrote: »
    Not trying to say one thing either way but I have a family member that runs a national supermarket. This crisis has been going on for a few weeks so obviously anecdotal. Much talk about masks etc. Supermarkets have been doing social distancing etc for the last while. Talk about risks in supermarkets and I think it is again anecdotal but a good idea of how or when we as a general population can move out of this gradually.

There has been no staff off sick since the start of this. None showing symptoms currently even though they get paid while off. In a scenario where we all feel we are at risk while in there for a short time, these staff are not coming down with sickness while in there all day.

Is this supermarket in an area with confirmed cases?

Few towns around here where there haven't been any cases confirmed yet and most of the townspeople are living in fear of the first.

The usual volumes of gossip about potential cases too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,406 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

That seems very high to me, where did you get that figure?

more like 1/4 million a day

https://www.worldometers.info/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

derossi wrote: »

Anecdotal, sure, but it still gives me comfort. There's a couple of lovely older ladies working in the Dunnes next door to me. Nice to hear that all the measures they're taking are hopefully keeping them safe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement