Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

macmahon wrote: »
    I don't know Beasty. I have a lot of friends and family and family on the frontline in the UK and they all are ok. They are although in fear of this surge as we were here in Ireland over the last few weeks. I don't normally have much of a reaction, with my disability towards others, but I do see alot of fear mongering in the media which is affecting too many people all over the world. I wish that would stop. I don't like to see so many people upset over something that dosn't seem to be happening.

Dude, they're completely overwhelmed.

Certainly in London and the Midlands anyways. Hence all the deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is this a clap for carers night here? or just in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's frightening

I knew 3-4 weeks ago that the infrastructure of our health system wouldn't handle this. Nor would the government act fast enough

I've friends in three different countries who are dealing with this 5 times better and looked into living in one of them (I've lived in two of them previously) for as long as I could get a visa there

With closed borders all over the world (and for a long time), that ship has passed

Now every day my anxiety grows to scary levels and my mental health is on its knees

I mean, if you just stay inside, would you not be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes but a pandemic that could go on for a year or more. We need a permanent solution. We can't keep going like this indefinalty.

To my mind there are three possible roads to follow:

1. Lift restrictions and let the virus do its worst resulting in many, many deaths - that's out IMO

2. Keep the current restrictions, enforce them rigorously and the virus will die out with many fewer deaths - desirable but impractical as the economy will die and anyway its clear many will continue to break the law

3. Gradually ease the restrictions and so accept a certain amount of avoidable deaths.

Take your pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Inquitus wrote: »
    Is this a clap for carers night here? or just in the UK?

Is there anything to be said for a clap for the millions around the world whose life's direction has been considerably altered due to unemployment from this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

gabeeg wrote: »

Yes I’d agree, we’ve a family member nursing in London and they’ve been off their feet, hospital packed and working with the flimsiest PPE they’ve ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

silverharp wrote: »
    more like 1/4 million a day

https://www.worldometers.info/

That sounds closer, the poster was just guessing
    No way it stayed almost constant for 100 years either

It was about 140,000 at the time "Don't Fear the Reaper" was written, although the lyrics reference 40,000
    That's according to Wikipedia, not me

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

That seems very high to me, where did you get that figure?

It's probably an exaggeration, but what I mean, people have always been dying in huge numbers every day from the beginning of time and only now it's been used to scare people into submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

there is probably many more dead around the world than being reported.

John Campbell said there was quite a few deaths in his hometown that has not been reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Is there anything to be said for a clap for the millions around the world whose life's direction has been considerably altered due to unemployment from this?

I don't think they'd be in the mood for clapping

We could all go to our windows and say "sorry lads. Best of luck" or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

marno21 wrote: »
    Is this supermarket in an area with confirmed cases?

Few towns around here where there haven't been any cases confirmed yet and most of the townspeople are living in fear of the first.

The usual volumes of gossip about potential cases too.

Not sure if there is an indication of confirmed cases for any location in a certain area so can't confirm. If this virus is everywhere and with current stats by County it is to a point then it should show.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I knew 3-4 weeks ago that the infrastructure of our health system wouldn't handle this.

The infrastructure is handling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

froog wrote: »
    ireland are now 13th in the world for deaths per capita. taking out the micro countries we are 10th.

Fûck, tough to read but I’m not surprised. We are an inherently very social nation which is a killer in this situation, literally. Because of this people just not adhering to the standards of behavior required to get out with minimum casualties.

At political level we have seen that we don’t have the people and leadership in particular to have the balls to expedite hard and tough decisions to keep people alive... thinking about the economy ahead of keeping people alive. It’s an awful indictment on FG in particular with a doctor at the helm too.

What was needed was slightly tougher restrictions...

- Freeing up prison places by releasing people with say 15% or less of time to serve for non violent/gang crimes. On the news, everywhere to send a message that if you overstep, you might be stepping into a cell.

- Army, given emergency powers where they are augmenting the Gardai, boots on the streets, jeeps etc. a visible presence.

Should have happened from minute 1 or soon into this. I’m sure the Gardai would appreciate the dig out.

I’m sure some clowns would be giving out about a militaristic and militarized state but I’m taking that as opposed to a graveyard state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,935 ✭✭✭✭briany

crossman47 wrote: »
    To my mind there are three possible roads to follow:

1. Lift restrictions and let the virus do its worst resulting in many, many deaths - that's out IMO

2. Keep the current restrictions, enforce them rigorously and the virus will die out with many fewer deaths - desirable but impractical as the economy will die and anyway its clear many will continue to break the law

3. Gradually ease the restrictions and so accept a certain amount of avoidable deaths.

Take your pick!

I think the government will eventually say something along the lines of everybody back to work, free hand sanitiser and face masks for all. Older people continue staying at home for now. Relatives or delivery people can bring you your essentials. Anyone living with a vulnerable person can be put up in a hotel at no cost, or subsidised cost until pandemic abates. Wash your hands, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes but a pandemic that could go on for a year or more. We need a permanent solution. We can't keep going like this indefinalty.

In my view anyway and a very very rough science.

The number people past it onto at the minute is just over 1 with out current restrictions.

It was around 6 people from the restrictions before this.

So can the health service in 2 weeks time handle 6 times the load that it is experiencing now. Currently the status is no, arguably it could cope with twice or three times but you wouldnt want to chance it. Off course that 6 people could spread it to another 6 and so on.

So thats one of the questions being asked week on week when the restrictions are being reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

1 million or so people die every day for the past 100 years. Just think about it

Well thats just a bare faced lie. 50-60 million people die per year. 57 million died in 2015, so about 155,000 people die daily. About 4% of those deaths everyday now are from COVID and doesnt even take into account the many areas of the world where its not pandemic, such as China which is almost 1/5 of the world population.
    https://ourworldindata.org/births-and-deaths

Anyway this is pointless minimsing of a very serious situation. Covid is now the leading cause of death the in the US and Western Europe, no getting around that statistic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

derossi wrote: »
    Not trying to say one thing either way but I have a family member that runs a national supermarket. This crisis has been going on for a few weeks so obviously anecdotal. Much talk about masks etc. Supermarkets have been doing social distancing etc for the last while. Talk about risks in supermarkets and I think it is again anecdotal but a good idea of how or when we as a general population can move out of this gradually.

There has been no staff off sick since the start of this. None showing symptoms currently even though they get paid while off. In a scenario where we all feel we are at risk while in there for a short time, these staff are not coming down with sickness while in there all day.

Just a thought about what is ahead.

What point are you trying to make? Are staff wearing masks? Because you mention masks but don't elaborate. Are you saying it's not as contagious as feared? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That sounds closer, the poster was just guessing
    No way it stayed almost constant for 100 years either

It was about 140,000 at the time "Don't Fear the Reaper" was written, although the lyrics reference 40,000
    That's according to Wikipedia, not me

Even assuming Buck Dharma and co were right, when DFtR was written the population of the world was almost half what it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

speckle wrote: »
    maybe go back to the TB era. didnt they bring some patients out into the fresh air?

Yes, it’s why every hospital built originally as a TB Sanatorium had large patio doors in every area and large balcony areas to accommodate beds been wheeled out during the day.

Strumms wrote: »
    Fûck, tough to read but I’m not surprised. We are an inherently very social nation which is a killer in this situation, literally. Because of this people just not adhering to the standards of behavior required to get out with minimum casualties.

At political level we have seen that we don’t have the people and leadership in particular to have the balls to expedite hard and tough decisions to keep people alive... thinking about the economy ahead of keeping people alive. It’s an awful indictment on FG in particular with a doctor at the helm too.

What was needed was slightly tougher restrictions...

- Freeing up prison places by releasing people with say 15% or less of time to serve for non violent/gang crimes. On the news, everywhere to send a message that if you overstep, you might be stepping into a cell.

- Army, given emergency powers where they are augmenting the Gardai, boots on the streets, jeeps etc. a visible presence.

Should have happened from minute 1 or soon into this. I’m sure the Gardai would appreciate the dig out.

I’m sure some clowns would be giving out about a militaristic and militarized state but I’m taking that as opposed to a graveyard state.

Johnny Hindsight for Taoiseach

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Dude, source! ....as I don't think that is the case. 1400 people on average, normally die in the UK, every single day.

It's probably an exaggeration, but what I mean, people have always been dying in huge numbers every day from the beginning of time and only now it's been used to scare people into submission.

But there weren't huge numbers of people in existence from the beginning of time.

In fact, for a long time there were only simple elements in existence, e.g. hydrogen & helium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hoping against the odds things pick up and holidays go ahead in July. Have 11 nights in Lanzarote booked. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bekker wrote: »
    Been watching HSE, DoH and CMO appearing before various committee and their public statements in other venues over the years.

Obfuscation and terminology redefinition is their normal modus operandi.

Why people believe that these entities underwent corporate culture transplants with the onset of COVID-19 is totally baffling.

Dr Tony Holohan have been in post for over 12 years, which is too long for any chief advisor to a government.

Its very true, you've got to remember than many of the senior HSE managers working on the Covid 19 response right now were also the same people who gave us the Cervical Check scandal where lots of women needlessly died and others now have terminal cancer. The HSE has always had a culture of deny, deny, deny when it comes to transparency. That doesnt change over night just because there is a pandemic, their culture is hard wired into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I'd be very interested to know are many shop workers going down with covid as I'm sure they must be exposed to cough, breath or sneeze droplets.
    I've also asked this a few times. Never get much response. I've yet to see much media reporting of supermarket staff falling sick in their droves other than a Tesco report which said they were suffering increased costs for sick staff and requiring new staff to cover the increased business - but it didn't break down the ratio there.

If supermarket staff are all falling sick from breathing in this virus from all the shoppers they encounter, my local Tesco staff must have great immune systems. Not trying to say the risk is not there, but it does not seem great to me.
    Nobody in my Tesco has been out with symptoms yet. Which is strange considering we are in touch with the public all day but we are sticking to the regulations like a bible.
    Thanks SweetCaliber. This is interesting. For me, the potential for contracting the virus from a quick shop seems overstated in terms of risk. It is good to hear that your experience is that most staff are not getting hit with this.
    Not trying to say one thing either way but I have a family member that runs a national supermarket. This crisis has been going on for a few weeks so obviously anecdotal. Much talk about masks etc. Supermarkets have been doing social distancing etc for the last while. Talk about risks in supermarkets and I think it is again anecdotal but a good idea of how or when we as a general population can move out of this gradually.

There has been no staff off sick since the start of this. None showing symptoms currently even though they get paid while off. In a scenario where we all feel we are at risk while in there for a short time, these staff are not coming down with sickness while in there all day.

Anecdotal, sure, but it still gives me comfort. There's a couple of lovely older ladies working in the Dunnes next door to me. Nice to hear that all the measures they're taking are hopefully keeping them safe

Thanks Derossi, good to hear that (see previous points on this).

I find it unusual that this isn't being studied more closely, given that supermarkets are the key place where people are still congregating. Looking at employee sickness in this area would certainly provide a sense of the reality in terms of how easy it is to catch this. Some experts have said that it can easily be got by simply breathing near someone else, but as said earlier, there does not seem to be much evidence of supermarket staff all falling ill. And they are there all day every day. I'm still sticking to hoping that a normal shop (even without a mask) is not that risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I work in supermarket. Out of ~25 staff two so far are out with "flu like symptoms", not being tested because their cases aren't serious enough [no difficulties breathing]. No masks, gloves - optional. I might serve 250+ people during my shift on the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Hoping against the odds things pick up and holidays go ahead in July. Have 11 nights in Lanzarote booked. Any thoughts?

Eh...

My thoughts would be contact travel agent or airline for refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

macmahon wrote: »
    Dude, source! ....as I don't think that is the case. 1400 people on average, normally die in the UK, every single day.

I don’t understand why people throw out this ‘normally die’ argument, as if it’s supposed to make everything ok. If 1400 normally die every day, it mean 2400 died yesterday. 1400 normally in total from a range of varying ailments.

It still leaves nearly 1000 for this one thing. This quarantine is really bringing out the stupid in some people.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Think of it this way it has to be contained here enough for you to be able to travel to the island and it must be contained enough over there for you to be able to come back.

• Advertisement

Even assuming Buck Dharma and co were right, when DFtR was written the population of the world was almost half what it is now.

No, Buck & Co. were wrong. I quoted the Wikipedia figure of 140,000 but also mentioned (for clarity) that the song referenced 40,000

KindofIrish said 1 million for the last 100 years

Anyone can Google daily global deaths if they want to know the real number, I already have

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement