Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Hoping against the odds things pick up and holidays go ahead in July. Have 11 nights in Lanzarote booked. Any thoughts?

Yes. Forget about any foreign holiday travel this summer. Not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

j@utis wrote: »
    I work in supermarket. Out of ~25 staff two so far are out with "flu like symptoms", not being tested because their cases aren't serious enough [no difficulties breathing]. No masks, gloves - optional. I might serve 250+ people during my shift on the till.

Thanks j@utis. That doesn't seem too bad even for normal times (but I am biased in my thoughts here and it is 8%).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,713 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hoping against the odds things pick up and holidays go ahead in July. Have 11 nights in Lanzarote booked. Any thoughts?

Not going to happen I'm afraid. I'd imagine we're looking at September perhaps for regular flights to start resuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Seems like I was right

Boris is out of ICU

That's good... so this will not happen now !

EVA9xMsXYAAClku?format=png&name=900x900

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

If I had flights booked anywhere before September, I'd be assuming that I won't be going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

thebaz wrote: »
    The anti body test was supposed to be ready now (early April) - but ther was obviously a problem with quality as it has been rolled forward at least a month until early May - the test needs to be accurate for obvious reasons , particularly if you tell medical staff they can integrate with all patients -

Hopefully when the test is rolled out to general population, after medics, we will get a proper indication of real mortality rate of virus, and how many of us may have actually had virus , but were assymptomatic - this rate was around 50% in large Iceland tests.

These tests aren’t that reliable though. False positives are an issue especially with quick tests. And considering that people want them used to figure out who is immune so that they can start venturing out again, that’s worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Have we actually confirmed despite Micheal Martins dinfo of how many people are actually waiting for tests.
    At 15% positive rate you could estimate the no. of unconfirmed symptomatic cases from that.

The referrals/day would almost be a better metric that the confirmed cases at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Re supermarkets it's all ancedotal but have you guys seen how many London bus drivers have died from this? Think it was around 10 at last check. I'm wondering if even being at the front of the bus as they are but in such a compact environment greatly increases their exposure compared to supermarket staff? But again it's just what we're getting to hear - maybe there are many cases from supermarket workers it just doesn't sound as "newsworthy" as bus drivers? We are still in relatively early days with this whole thing - maybe it will turn out that supermarkets presented a very low risk for some reason but the journey on the bus there will turn out to be extremely risky? Personally I'll be avoiding them all as much as possible for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.today.com/video/dr-anthony-fauci-virus-death-toll-may-be-more-like-60-000-than-100-00-to-200-000-81825861735

Measures to curb the virus spread may have limited death toll to around 60,000 in the US rather than the 100-200,000 as originally estimated, normal life may return in the states by summer according to Fauci.

Scotland also bad.

"Nicola Sturgeon has announced that 81 further Covid-19 deaths have been reported overnight in Scotland, taking the total number of deaths involving laboratory-confirmed victims of the virus to 447. "

Many parts of Scotland have shockingly bad diets, heavy drinking and smoking. Life expectancy in parts of Glasgow is quite low already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ace2007 wrote: »
    For those who don't understand the median number - below examples might help

91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 90 86 85 84 70 65 60 55 50 45 40 40 38 35 33 32 31

The median in the above list of numbers is 84, the average is 69.

The median in the below list of numbers is 84, the average is 86.

91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 91 90 86 85 84 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83 83

Honestly, this should be stickied information in the forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Never understood people wanting to go abroad on holiday when Ireland is the most fantastic of places. We should keep that in mind when it comes to getting our economy back on track. Ive never been prouder of living in Ireland and how we are all dealing with this....what ever it is that has come crashing down on us. Time will tell but dont let fear blind you. Thats my grandfathers saying. Long dead now but his words of wisdom are still with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

lbj666 wrote: »
    Johnny Hindsight for Taoiseach

Foresight is what was lacking. Considering the nature of the situation I’d rather the political people went overkill and prevent disease kill. Plan for worst case, bonus if it doesn’t happen. I’d rather the business groups in the aftermath rage from their high stools about what the economy lost, over families and loved ones in despair over family and friends who they WILL loose. I’d rather we were all for a time poor and alive over a significant number dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.today.com/video/dr-anthony-fauci-virus-death-toll-may-be-more-like-60-000-than-100-00-to-200-000-81825861735

Measures to curb the virus spread may have limited death toll to around 60,000 in the US rather than the 100-200,000 as originally estimated, normal life may return in the states by summer according to Fauci.

Just on this dream of normal life.

If I can ask a basic question - if this thing grows so quickly , how can anyone put out dates like that.

Covid is going to be around and can grow as quickly again - until we have a vaccine ?

Am - I missing something - we are not trying to get herd immunity at all ?

Where will covid go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭spookwoman

macmahon wrote: »
    Never understood people wanting to go abroad on holiday when Ireland is the most fantastic of places. We should keep that in mind when it comes to getting our economy back on track. Ive never been prouder of living in Ireland and how we are all dealing with this....what ever it is that has come crashing down on us. Time will tell but dont let fear blind you. Thats my grandfathers saying. Long dead now but his words of wisdom are still with me.

Sounds like a party political broadcast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Life expectancy in Ireland and Scotland are not that different

Irish men 79 yr
    Irish women 84 yr

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/ireland-life-expectancy

Scottish men 77 yr
    Scottish women 81 yr

Name one good minister for health in our entire history.

Dr Noel Browne?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

j@utis wrote: »
    I work in supermarket.
    I'm not trying to be funny or maudlin or anything, but thanks J. I for one really appreciate the people still going to work dealing with the public like you guys are. We'd be fucked without you.

Health care folks of course are at the forefront of this, and though their exposure is obviously less, same goes for bin men, truck and delivery drivers, posties, utilities folks and the like. People that keep a society running as normal. They don't get enough acknowledgement.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Honestly, this should be stickied information in the forum.
    It hurts my eyes.
    mode_mean_median_range.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Its the pissing rain and rip off prices that get to me and lack of any decent amenities for kids etc.

I live in ireland 300 odd days of the year. Nothing wrong with time away either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'd give it a 90% probability of going ahead; people are being a touch over pessimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

keynes wrote: »
    He reported 15000 before which was a result of his flawed model of R_0. And now he's reporting a value of 1, yet he has no idea how many are infected, given the testing debacle. In any case, R_0 is only meaningful in a non-lockdown situation.
    No they predicted it, not reported it, based off a 33% increase. We are way, way below that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A beautiful country but...

You are not guaranteed weather

It’s expensive, when compared to many other locations...
    -food
    -hotels
    -transport
    -pints
    -general amenities

People want to see and experience different cultures and countries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Name one good minister for health in our entire history.

Noel Browne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Just on this dream of normal life.

If I can ask a basic question - if this thing grows so quickly , how can anyone put out dates like that.

Covid is going to be around and can grow as quickly again - until we have a vaccine ?

Am - I missing something - we are not trying to get herd immunity at all ?

Where will covid go ?

Complete fantasy land. The professor advising the government is advocating that until new cases is at 0 (zero) he cannot recommend lifting restrictions. We can forget about normal life till 2023.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Strumms wrote: »
    A beautiful country but...

You are not guaranteed weather

It’s expensive, when compared to many other locations...
    -food
    -hotels
    -transport
    -pints
    -general amenities

People want to see and experience different cultures and countries too.

Is full of non-Dubs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

sabat wrote: »
    I'd give it a 90% probability of going ahead; people are being a touch over pessimistic.

I'd give it less than 5%

Where is Covid going - does he fancy quarantine for 14 nights after ?

Covid not taking any holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be funny or maudlin or anything, but thanks J. I for one really appreciate the people still going to work dealing with the public like you guys are. We'd be fucked without you...
    No probs, Wibbs. People, I mean staff, felt uneasy and slightly worried for about a week after the day the schools closed and panic buy started. Now we're back to old chilled ways, just keep washing your hands and don't touch your frikin face, and you'll be alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spain do want to look at opening things up by next month so on balance probably likely although I wonder if some form of immunity cert might be required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

fr336 wrote: »
    Re supermarkets it's all ancedotal but have you guys seen how many London bus drivers have died from this? Think it was around 10 at last check. I'm wondering if even being at the front of the bus as they are but in such a compact environment greatly increases their exposure compared to supermarket staff? But again it's just what we're getting to hear - maybe there are many cases from supermarket workers it just doesn't sound as "newsworthy" as bus drivers? We are still in relatively early days with this whole thing - maybe it will turn out that supermarkets presented a very low risk for some reason but the journey on the bus there will turn out to be extremely risky? Personally I'll be avoiding them all as much as possible for the foreseeable.

If there was even one case of a supermarket employee testing positive, would that not mean the rest of staff had to go into isolation and the store would have to close for a fortnight? And would that not have made some sort of splash on social media?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement