Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

is_that_so wrote: »
    Italy's first cases were about Feb 15 so yeah two decades ago!

Ah yes half term week...where we all tutted at the skiers and schoolkids going over in their droves. And so it came to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fr336 wrote: »
    Poster is right. About 53 for a male apparently. Frankie Boyle used to joke about it in his usual dark humour way.

Seriously - it is a developed 1st world city.

Looked it up it is low - but 71.6

Frankie Boyle - great source :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,713 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Stheno wrote: »
    Where is this from? Is it clusters in Dublin?

Or nursing homes? I doubt it's postal addresses of positive cases anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Italy rising again, don't know wtf is going on over there, but lockdown clearly not working, Spain seems ****ed too ... densely populated apt. blocks ?
    If you look st the dead/resolved metric it's stll improving.

Dead/resolved = 18279/46749 = 39.10%, a reduction for the 6th consecutive day, now accelerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

fr336 wrote: »
    A week feels like a month at the moment. How long ago did Italy start getting really bad? Was it this time last month or longer? It feels like years ago...

21st February when growth swiftly took off, with cases doubling daily from then on. Almost 7 weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No matter how grim and negative, I think all parties tasked over Covid19 here in ROI like HSE, CMO and DOH should be honest in their briefings, it is hard to know what is true when medical professionals, media and politicians are contradicting one another

The two pillars for getting out of this mess according to the WHO is to test like crazy and be fully transparent.

The testing fiasco is somewhat out of their hands, but there's no excuse for their failure to be transparent.
    They themselves are the ones that give the space for unfounded rumours to flourish.

Happy4all wrote: »
    is the biggest cluster between sallynoggin and glasthule?

All the rich SCD - who have their trip abroad in winter and skiing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

I would give the government and health officials a solid 7/10 thus far especially in light of the unmitigated disasters unfolding in the US, UK and the Netherlands.

Having said that, the three areas where we underestimated the problem were:

1) Not cancelling flights with people travelling from Northern Italy for the rugby (and temperature screening in general at airports a la South Korea/China
    2) Not ordering people likely returning from Cheltenham to self-isolate (using mobile data if necessary)
    3) Not locking down every single nursing home in the country at the end of February.

The relevant comparisons for Ireland are New Zealand and Australia (islands, relatively low pop density, small populations, borders that can be easily closed). In comparison with these, we're doing appallingly. The Irish response has been a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Look a little further, frankie Boyle is not the only source. I'm on mobile and cant link at the min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,585 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

92685785_10163257101895282_4977045786647855104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=4NRnwZaqCO0AX_PHHuG&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=699e8e4ff5f3da06cf178dacdaae82db&oe=5EB35E1C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

eagle eye wrote: »
    They are using a test for covid-19 in some US states which gives results inside 15 minutes. Apparently this was developed by an Irish company.
    Why are we not using this? Like we are way behind with our results.
    You could have two if these places set us in Dublin, one in Cork, Limerick and Galway and then some in the major satellite towns.

Because we've a bunch of hopeless lemmings running the show... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Dr Noel Browne?

I agree He was responsible for wiping out TB from Ireland by helping get built loads of hospitals around the country much to the detriment of his government because of the expenditure and his famous showdown with Bishop McQuaid from Derry.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

keynes wrote: »
    The relevant comparisons for Ireland are New Zealand and Australia (islands, relatively low pop density, small populations, borders that can be easily closed). In comparison with these, we're doing appallingly. The Irish response has been a shambles

This is a bit of a harsh comparison. The isolation of the two examples is far clearer

We have a far more complex integration with the EU and in particular the UK.

No mater what we did - a closing of the Irish / UK border would be a call difficult to take.

It is still open now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

spookwoman wrote: »
    Sounds like a party political broadcast :D

Like a pig in mud spookwoman....like a pig in mud! If anything, I hope that this plandemic has opened some eyes and ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

Many parts of Scotland have shockingly bad diets, heavy drinking and smoking. Life expectancy in parts of Glasgow is quite low already.

Deep fried Mars bar for me please with a side of iced chocolate butter muffins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

How can we be compared to these two countries on the other side of the world to the hub of this outbreak in Europe? We should be compared with somewhere like Denmark or in Europe at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

glasso wrote: »
    6R3ypPC.png

XLSglV2.jpg

I know that is the map who people who went skiing in Italy. South side skew. :cool:

Ireland and oz/nz are no where near similar,where in ireland can ya drive for hours and meer noone?? :pac:

I felt denmark,would be a goodish comparison though....similar size,with a reckless neighbour who have relatively seemless border between

Either way,heads need to roll after all this is over...it was well known in advance,who were n
    most vunerable and its still after getting hold into nursing homes here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2006/jan/21/health.politics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Look a little further, frankie Boyle is not the only source. I'm on mobile and cant link at the min.

Male life expectancy in the Calton area of Glasgow is 53.9

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If we could move Ireland halfway out into the Atlantic we might be doing a bit better.

Technically the poster said parts of. A person I know who live alone from Dublin died at 51. I can then technically say "parts of Dublin" have an average life expectancy of 51.

Wait a minute. I should get a job for HSE and help with the stats.

What is this and what is your source?

It was sent to me by someone I know on WA. They in turn were sent it... best guess is that it's something to do with nursing homes perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

How can we be compared to these two countries on the other side of the world to the hub of this outbreak in Europe? We should be compared with somewhere like Denmark or in Europe at least

The hub of this outbreak was in China.

Australia and New Zealand are much closer to China, so why not compare them to us? Potentially they could have been really badly affected - particularly in Australia, where there is a huge Asian population.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Preliminary PCR and antibody test results were announced today from a population survey of one of the worst hit regions in Germany, and show a higher infection level and lower fatality rate than the current case count data.

The survey targeted the commune of Gangelt on the Dutch border and selected
    1,000 people from 400 households at random.

Results from the first 500 people showed that 2% had an active infection and 14% had antibodies resulting from infection.
    Overall, 15% of people are or were infected, and infection fatality rate is 0.37%

[The antibody testing method is not stated, though I'm guessing an accurate lab based neutralisation type assay was used rather than a rapid elisa test, of which there's not yet one that's proven reliable enough for use. Specificity was stated to be 99%, but sensitivity was not reported.]

This is another piece of evidence pointing to a fatality rate in the area of 0.5% or lower, i.e. up to ~5x the rate for seasonal flu.
    [Iceland data are showing something similar - currently closed CFR is 0.86%, and evidence from population surveys implies that perhaps 50-80% of cases were not detected]

The authors of the Gangelt study recommend social distancing as an initial measure to slow the rate of infection and prevent overwhelming of hospitals, but believe it will be possible to lift quarantine measures while maintaining stricter than usual hygiene measures and limits on large gatherings - citing Ischgl apres-ski bars and the Gangelt carnival as examples.

link (German)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

6R3ypPC.png

XLSglV2.jpg

What is the significance of the colours? What do the dots mean?

6R3ypPC.png

XLSglV2.jpg

That is outrageous to post dots on a screen. What about patient confidentiality. From this map I now know that at least three of my neighbours have tested positive. I will dutifully shun them. What about the privacy !! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

It was sent to me by someone I know on WA. They in turn were sent it... best guess is that it's something to do with nursing homes perhaps...

Doubt it.

That's not the way you'd represent small contained clusters on a map.
    That looks like clusters in the general community to me. It's a heat map.

Could be a load of bollocks I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Glasso, what are them pictures?

Where online can we view the same and thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement