Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I felt guilty this evening. A lady in her 60s came right up beside me in the queue to enter Tesco (even in the pre-era of social restrictions, she was in my personal space). I then asked her for some space. As I queued for the till, she was ahead of me. She noticed a (very cute) baby in a pram (child no more than 5 months). She said “you are such a cute child” and tickled the child under its chin. The dad looked down awkwardly at the floor. I told her that social distancing is not just some theoretical concept, that people throughout this country are getting sick. As I was walking to my car, her and her daughter were giving me dirty looks. I feel terrible now

She may have just forgotten, its easy to forget, but I think you were right to say something. A cute little puppy ran up to me outside the shop the other day, wasnt thinking and patted it on the head, obviously the owner said similar to what you said to that lady , to me. I felt pretty guilty after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

wakka12 wrote: »
    She may have just forgotten, its easy to forget, but I think you were right to say something. A cute little puppy ran up to me outside the shop the other day, wasnt thinking and patted it on the head, obviously the owner said similar to what you said to that lady , to me. I felt pretty guilty after!

MURDERER

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭macmahon

Can someone please explain to me again why testing centres are empty?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

glasso wrote: »
    Bono's Gaff and Enya's Gaff in the first photo incidentally

Really? Is Bono`s the lower one?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,747 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

macmahon wrote: »

You need approval to get a test, can't just show up, the less people you test the less people can be confirmed as having the virus and so the better your approach looks...possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

macmahon wrote: »

Maybe a good sign people not feeling sick as much?

1800 new cases in Brazil, 121 deaths. Theyve only performed 63,000 tests, 18,000 of which were positive :eek:
    Gonna get ugly in Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is it conceivably possible to get the R below 1?

Really? Is Bono`s the lower one?

Bono's is the middle one.

Enya Upper left of that one - turrets - can only see a bit of it.

wakka12 wrote: »
    1800 new cases in Brazil, 121 deaths. Theyve only performed 63,000 tests, 18,000 of which were positive :eek:
    Gonna get ugly in Brazil

nah

I hear it's very cold over there and this virus is obviously seasonal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

fr336 wrote: »
    Re supermarkets it's all ancedotal but have you guys seen how many London bus drivers have died from this? Think it was around 10 at last check. I'm wondering if even being at the front of the bus as they are but in such a compact environment greatly increases their exposure compared to supermarket staff? But again it's just what we're getting to hear - maybe there are many cases from supermarket workers it just doesn't sound as "newsworthy" as bus drivers? We are still in relatively early days with this whole thing - maybe it will turn out that supermarkets presented a very low risk for some reason but the journey on the bus there will turn out to be extremely risky? Personally I'll be avoiding them all as much as possible for the foreseeable.

It's possible. If they were driving full buses all day, I'd imagine they'd get exposed to a lot of aerosols from passengers. It's also quite possible that they may have caught it outside of work. It seems rampant in London, and I don't think you can automatically presume that all workers infected in a given industry necessarily caught it while working in said industry. It's also possible it was transmitted between workers in a canteen or depot rather than directly from passengers.

Gael23 wrote: »

yeah absolutely

it's just an average number - if the average person infects less than one other people, then it goes below 1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Bono's Gaff and Enya's Gaff in the first photo incidentally

lI1mhf6.jpg

DsxBeKZ.jpg

The council like many others closed all the car parks so people aren't flooding the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Don’t feel terrible. I’ve twins still in a pram and I’d never let any stranger touch them. Surprised the father didn’t say anything or step in to block her. I’d have gone ape.

The irony of this is it's more likely the kid would give it to her and she'd end up in bother rather than the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,962 ✭✭✭✭walshb

France’s death toll almost 1400 today....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Yeah, if 10 people catch it and 9 are already being very careful with hand hygiene, etc, maybe live alone, then in theory they may not infect anyone else. If the last lad tho infects 5, then R0 is 0.5 (10 people infecting 5). Very unlikely in that scenario, but possible in theory. Even to just have it at 0.95 will result in decreasing cases. It’s why everyone should act like they have it, in case they do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IIRC a few countries reckon they have; Taiwan. Hong Kong, Czech Rep. All went full on though compared to us. Closed borders, had border checks even then, quarantine, tracking, more testing, lockdowns, pub/cafe/shop closures, distancing, masks in public, handwashing. I suppose the more each move lowers the risk, the lower your transmission rate goes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The council like many others closed all the car parks so people aren't flooding the area.

yes I understand (car parks closed off in many coastal points) but it's also coincidentally near that "red zone"

You need approval to get a test, can't just show up, the less people you test the less people can be confirmed as having the virus and so the better your approach looks...possibly.

Its not rocket science!...I feel sick Doc!...Doc sorts out whether ya should be tested!...I guess we have some pretty well clued up Doctors here in Ireland...hence the empty plandemic testing centres! Well done to them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Remember the days of this thread where most people could see what was going to happen even if we hoped it never would? Would it have been far less damaging socially and economically to have closed the borders when things were getting out of hand in Italy? Just think - now the travel industry would be on its knees but on the plus side the rest of the economy would be business as usual and no lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I felt guilty this evening. A lady in her 60s came right up beside me in the queue to enter Tesco (even in the pre-era of social restrictions, she was in my personal space). I then asked her for some space. As I queued for the till, she was ahead of me. She noticed a (very cute) baby in a pram (child no more than 5 months). She said “you are such a cute child” and tickled the child under its chin. The dad looked down awkwardly at the floor. I told her that social distancing is not just some theoretical concept, that people throughout this country are getting sick. As I was walking to my car, her and her daughter were giving me dirty looks. I feel terrible now

You shouldn’t feel terrible, it’s not as if the media isn’t harping on 24/7 about it. A kid aswell jeez, you cannot give a hall pass to anyone, elderly or otherwise. How the father didn’t loose the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

yes I understand (car parks closed off in many coastal points) but it's also coincidentally near that "red zone"

What red zone you are spoofing trying to be relevant you have no idea what that picture means all you are going to do is worry people in those areas unnecessarily for your own importance

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Anyone else think Denmark and Austria are a bit mad to be planning to exit lockdown in the next few days? Looking at their numbers today and last few days... they don’t look anywhere near safe yet. I imagine lifting their measures will cause a huge surge in the next couple of weeks, given the amount of new and active cases currently happening with lockdown measures

rosiem wrote: »
    What red zone you are spoofing trying to be relevant you have no idea what that picture means all you are going to do is worry people in those areas unnecessarily for your own importance

I wouldn't have put you down as a Dalkey resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fr336 wrote: »
    Remember the days of this thread where most people could see what was going to happen even if we hoped it never would? Would it have been far less damaging socially and economically to have closed the borders when things were getting out of hand in Italy? Just think - now the travel industry would be on its knees but on the plus side the rest of the economy would be business as usual and no lockdowns.

You’d have publicans, restauranteurs, hoteliers etc..crying oceans down the phone to poor Joe Duffy.... they’d rather full bank accounts and full morgues over empty hospitals, a fit and healthy population....

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Genuine question, and sorry if its been asked before, i have not been keeping up with the threads so closely.

I've been locked down since the day the schools were closed. I've left the house to shop only 2 times and the other 2 times had it delivered. Wiped food packages down with soapy water, etc. Yet right now, in the last 3 days I have developed a cough and runny nose. Even if this is not coronavirus, how the hell did I catch anything being so isolated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

I wouldn't have put you down as a Dalkey resident.

Sorry where do I claim to be ?

rm212 wrote: »
    Anyone else think Denmark and Austria are a bit mad to be planning to exit lockdown in the next few days? Looking at their numbers today and last few days... they don’t look anywhere near safe yet. I imagine lifting their measures will cause a huge surge in the next couple of weeks, given the amount of new and active cases currently happening with lockdown measures

By looking at worldometers it does certainly look like they are still reporting a lot of new cases, but maybe we dont know the whole story, maybe it is mostly healthcare workers or people in nurshing homes or other quarantined environments that are making up most of the new cases and so they are not a risk of creating continued community spread? Who knows, Im sure they are not just going to relax restrictions willy nilly after shutting down their ecnomies for a month

walshb wrote: »
    France’s death toll almost 1400 today....

What are the death stats on any average day? I hope you don't feel so glum...much love during these plandemic times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

rm212 wrote: »

I think so. Honestly it needs to be pretty much eradicated before lockdowns can be relaxed in my opinion, or you just reverse what you worked so hard to achieve. And even then you would need to have robust quarantines for people entering the country and suspected cases to maintain the hard achieved drop in infections.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement