Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

gabeeg wrote: »
    Of course we are. We reached that point weeks ago when we cancelled all elective surgeries.

I was more referring to Covid-19 patients rather than elective surgeries.Many of the elective surgeries would have been cancelled in anticipation of a Covid-19 surge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I was thinking of something Covid related that I can catch up on :)
    Rest assured, if Jessie Fletcher turns up anywhere there will be a sudden cluster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Posters like this don't seem to get it that it's only not 15000 because of the measures taken.

It's very hard to get that into their heads.
    Instead they seem to have a "I told you so" condescension to the very guys who made the prediction that ensured the mitigation was put in place in the first place.

It's maddening. They just don't understand exponential growth or something

For us to have hit 15k, just under half of people tested would have had to be positive for Covid. Has any country got a 50% infection rate?? We’d only done 42k tests up to Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

tails_naf wrote: »
    Genuine question, and sorry if its been asked before, i have not been keeping up with the threads so closely.

I've been locked down since the day the schools were closed. I've left the house to shop only 2 times and the other 2 times had it delivered. Wiped food packages down with soapy water, etc. Yet right now, in the last 3 days I have developed a cough and runny nose. Even if this is not coronavirus, how the hell did I catch anything being so isolated ?

There's definitely something going around (unless we're all getting an incredibly mild dose of the coronavirus). I'm similar to you, haven't left my house - literally - in two weeks, but have had something nagging at me on and off for the last month or so.

Do you live with people? They could be passing it on to you, or even in those two times that you were at the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

yermandan wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, Louise O'Reilly is some dose

When it looked like SF might get into power I was fantasizing about her getting Minister for Health just to see her fall flat on her face and to punish the people who voted for her.
    I had visions of hospitals bursting into flames and GPs jumping en masse off the cliffs of moher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Oh my days this Matt Cooper interview with Dr Orsmond is utterly embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

glasso wrote: »
    Bono's is the middle one.

Enya Upper left of that one - turrets - can only see a bit of it.

Have seen Bono in and out.
    Enya, doesn't even live here anymore. Selfish :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I was thinking of something Covid related that I can catch up on :)

Ha whoops, well if you had wanted some escapism

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

road_high wrote: »
    I care. This money is being borrowed and could be put to far better use in my opinion ie proper ppe with a focus on nursing homes where there is an actual problem. Instead of haranguing people out for a drive in their own cars. No issue with their work delivering and calling to elderly, that’s separate. But roadblocks all over practically empty motorists are an utter nonsense. Half a dozen Gardai on several I’ve seen.

Keeping people out of hospital is the best PPE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Christmas will be cancelled this year.

Santa will be cocooning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

road_high wrote: »
    What’s the Garda overtime bill going to be by the time all ends I wonder?

Probably a very minor part of the total cost

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

macmahon wrote: »
    Come on guys! Its not rocket science the numbers are just not adding up! Empty testing facilities!
    Because they are struggling to do the labwork required. That's where the bottleneck has been throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

For us to have hit 15k, just under half of people tested would have had to be positive for Covid. Has any country got a 50% infection rate?? We’d only done 42k tests up to Tuesday.

I don't think they specifically said 15k confirmed cases, just 15k infected.
    If you allowed a country to be ravaged by the virus and didn't test, you can't very well say nobody is infected. The 15k is just the exponential curve, which Spain actually achieved. They went from 100-18,000 (confirmed cases) in the time we were told we could hit 15k, so yes, it's possible.
    France reports 33% positive rates, which maybe the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

glasso wrote: »
    6R3ypPC.png

XLSglV2.jpg

some body asked does it refer to nursing home. Make your own minds up. Beware caution.
    Doesnt show childrens or disabled homes. Not sure re private homes.
    https://www.hiqa.ie/areas-we-work/find-a-centre/map

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Beasty wrote: »
    Because they are struggling to do the labwork required. That's where the bottleneck has been throughout

There was a big supply of domestically produced reagent made available in a project led by scientists in UCC and CUH, Teagasc and UL a few days ago. So that may be why we're able to ramp the numbers up.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/breakthrough-led-by-cork-scientists-develops-key-chemical-and-helps-avert-potential-covid-19-testing-crisis-992708.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unlikely 4 would die in your work, unless you work with a lot of old people or those with serious underlying health issues.

And every single one of the 400 workers gets it

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I don't think they specifically said 15k confirmed cases, just 15k infected.
    If you allowed a country to be ravaged by the virus and didn't test, you can't very well say nobody is infected. The 15k is just the exponential curve, which Spain actually achieved. They went from 100-18,000 (confirmed cases) in the time we were told we could hit 15k, so yes, it's possible.
    France reports 33% positive rates, which maybe the highest.

I dont think we have the lab capacity to return todays new case number of 500 unless the German lab numbers are being drip fed in daily.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1248370388834361345?s=19

Not sure what that means for us. Haven't been following the financial aspect of this much.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Did anyone catch the ICU numbers for today?
    Today's stats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

eddie73 wrote: »
    There is only so much the guards and the government can do. this is a global pandemic, and restricting movement as they are trying to do is limited in its effect.

People need to stand up to their obligations on this.

Going to holiday homes is nuts. Why? because it gets people into the mentality that they are away from an urban centre therefore they are less likely to get it (never mind spread it).
    Their guard will drop and they will go into shops, hang out on streets etc etc rather than going out x1 or x2 max per week to shop.

Unfortunately, you can tell the guards anything such as you were visiting elderly parents to do shopping for them, going to or coming from. Then drive on down the road and do whatever u like really.

New Zealand police and government seem to have done enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Is the Trump comedy show on tonight?

Not on CNN yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Beasty wrote: »
    Probably a very minor part of the total cost

Ye but... fyck the guards yeno

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Achasanai wrote: »
    There's definitely something going around (unless we're all getting an incredibly mild dose of the coronavirus). I'm similar to you, haven't left my house - literally - in two weeks, but have had something nagging at me on and off for the last month or so.

Do you live with people? They could be passing it on to you, or even in those two times that you were at the shops.

Could be just the effects of a lack of vitamin D on your body maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Delayed. Coming up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1248370388834361345?s=19

Not sure what that means for us. Haven't been following the financial aspect of this much.

not good either with high finance stuff. but doesnt some tech giant owe us alot of tax thats being minded in europe for us somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

easypazz wrote: »
    Is the Trump comedy show on tonight?

Not on CNN yet.

Delayed for some reason... starting at 23:30 hrs our time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

speckle wrote: »
    not good either with high finance stuff. but doesnt some tech giant owe us alot of tax thats being minded in europe for us somewhere?

Hmmm, that may be the case... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

fr336 wrote: »
    Remember the days of this thread where most people could see what was going to happen even if we hoped it never would? Would it have been far less damaging socially and economically to have closed the borders when things were getting out of hand in Italy? Just think - now the travel industry would be on its knees but on the plus side the rest of the economy would be business as usual and no lockdowns.

Would doing so just have kicked our current situation down the road (in time)?

Our health service is coping. Having allowed the Italians and the Cheltenham goers back in with no health checks may have accelerated the spread of Covid-19 but it helped prime our country for the crisis at luckily? the "optimal" level it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I dont think we have the lab capacity to return todays new case number of 500 unless the German lab numbers are being drip fed in daily.

I didn't hear the positive % for today's cases.
    But going by the recent 15% it would have meant 3333 tests.
    Even just testing hospital cases (UK has a ~40% positive rate) would be 1250.
    But we only have about 1600 hospitalized in total, since this began.
    I don't know. My head hurts now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement