Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It sounds like hayfever as this is tree pollen season grass pollen isn't until mid May. I've had this also and have gotten it every year for last few years at same time.

Hay fever should not cause chills.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

JP100 wrote: »
    The UK has 959 cases per 1 million population. While Ireland has 1,331 cases per 1 million population. I'd imagine the ratio is higher in Ireland because there's more case testing happening in Ireland per head of population. While in terms of the mortality rate the UK has 118 deaths per 1 million population. While Ireland has 53 deaths per 1 million population.

Lack of true mortality rates are happening in UK though. A poster (?) pointed to a guardian article whereby you could add another 1000 to the fatalities in UK. Bringing it from 8k to 9k I think?

But yeah, maybe they are massively undertesting too..

It's all a bit of a mess really. Perhaps we should have international standards about how we measure these things. After all, stats provide information that is actionable. And that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

JP100 wrote: »
    The UK has 959 cases per 1 million population. While Ireland has 1,331 cases per 1 million population. I'd imagine the ratio is higher in Ireland because there's more case testing happening in Ireland per head of population. While in terms of the mortality rate the UK has 118 deaths per 1 million population. While Ireland has 53 deaths per 1 million population.

The UK only test in hospital, so if we did the same, we would have 1521 cases and 263 deaths with 310 cases per mil.

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Ah no I’m grand! The chills are probably nothing more than tiredness, too much time on boards!

Most likely nothing, of course. We're all run down and spending too much time watching numbers and arguing on the internet.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Lack of true mortality rates are happening in UK though. A poster (?) pointed to a guardian article whereby you could add another 1000 to the fatalities in UK. Bringing it from 8k to 9k I think?

But yeah, maybe they are massively undertesting too..

It's all a bit of a mess really. Perhaps we should have international standards about how we measure these things. After all, stats provide information that is actionable. And that's important.

I honestly think every country went the test, test, test route, but as soon as they hit that steep curve, everything went out the window and all resources went to try save as many lives as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-to-announce-extension-of-covid-19-restrictions-1.4225521?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Another 2 weeks as expected, possibly 3 until after May bank holiday and Gardai to have the current powers extended to cover this period. All to be announced tomorrow. Plans also have begun on the phased lifting of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I honestly think every country went the test, test, test route, but as soon as they hit that steep curve, everything went out the window and all resources went to try save as many lives as possible.
    Not every country. South Korea, Taiwan, China. Others closed borders and quarantined. Testing alone won't cut it. We need north south cooperation and identical approach. Agree about an antibody test. It's critical to getting some semblance of normality. I've reappraised my initial estimate that some restrictions could be lifted in end may/June, more like July August.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

I don't know, just going by stats and of 1765 Healthcare workers, 27% should be hospitalized.... which yes, you would expect some deaths. Maybe they are younger, more fit/healthy so it's less.

It's certainly a good question for a journalist to ask. Hearing some are hospitalized and some in ICU would certainly be a shock for people to hear.
    To make it simpler,

257 died in hospital, 230 admitted to CPU 257-230 = 27 died in hospital without being admitted to CPU.

263 total deaths, 257 died in hospital, 263-257 = 6 died without being admitted hospital.

There is no means of deriving healthcare workers hospitalized from the figures published today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Expect 5 to 6 more weeks of it, according to my information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-to-announce-extension-of-covid-19-restrictions-1.4225521?mode=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Another 2 weeks as expected, possibly 3 until after May bank holiday and Gardai to have the current powers extended to cover this period. All to be announced tomorrow. Plans also have begun on the phased lifting of restrictions.

I'd imagine they'll announce 2 weeks. What it'll end up being is anybody's guess.

• Advertisement

Not every country. South Korea, Taiwan, China. Others closed borders and quarantined. Testing alone won't cut it. We need north south cooperation and identical approach. Agree about an antibody test. It's critical to getting some semblance of normality. I've reappraised my initial estimate that some restrictions could be lifted in end may/June, more like July August.

Sorry I meant all counties in the west who never experienced anything like this before. The countries you mentioned have had experience with SARS, so it's not new to them. The west adopted an attitude that it won't affect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It is pointless to try and compare statistics between countries. Each country is doing the reporting in it’s own way. This is where the WHO should be more proactive in insisting that there is a standard method for doing this. These numbers are of interest to the public because very important decisions are based on them. The public should have confidence that what is being reported is accurate and consistent and not being ‘doctored’ for political reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have been keeping an eye on the numbers from Slovenia and Croatia throughout this whole thing.

Croatia have 1 million less people than Ireland and Slovenia a population of 2 million but have a border with Italy and Croatia is practically beside Italy. Both countries have large cultural connections with Italy and also have a lot of seasonal workers that work in the Italian Ski Resorts.

Combined their population is 6 million. 1 million more than Ireland. Yet their case numbers are
    Croatia - Cases 1407, Deaths 20
    Slovenia - Cases 1124, Deaths 41

Combine them and you have 2531 Cases and 61 deaths for a joint population of 1 million more than us and both are right beside Italy, with a lot of movement between the countries.

So why do we, a country of 5 million, an island on the edge of Europe have 6574 Cases and 263 Deaths.

Slovenia shut their borders to Italy on the 10th of March. A few days later, Croatia shut their borders to Slovenia. Austria then shut their borders to Slovenia.

Slovenia and Croatia have got this absolutely bang on. No road entries and flights are very, very limited.

We only started to man out border up north today (obviously its a contentious issue) and flights are still arriving willy nilly. The only thing that slowed the flights were the airlines.

Larbre34 wrote: »

I'm just surprised that there seems to be a significant cohort on social media who believe we'll start lifting restrictions this weekend. I can only assume they don't know how to read graphs, and I guess that's a more common thing than I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'd imagine they'll announce 2 weeks. What it'll end up being is anybody's guess.

I'd guessed a phased lifting from after May bank holiday. Wouldn't make sense to lift them before then. Gradually lifting more throughout May and finally into June.

These form of restrictions wouldn't last long if they left them in place into May. They've been pretty open about that

bekker wrote: »
    To make it simpler,

257 died in hospital, 230 admitted to CPU 257-230 = 27 died in hospital without being admitted to CPU.

263 total deaths, 257 died in hospital, 263-257 = 6 died without being admitted hospital.

There is no means of deriving healthcare workers hospitalized from the figures published today.

There is actually a figure of people who died outside of hospital, I thought it was about 12%, I could be wrong. But yes, it's impossible to know how many healthcare workers are hospitalized or in ICU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

There are a lot saying gradual ease late April through month of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Can anyone fill in the ???

508954.png

Taken form HSE table 'Hospital statistics'
    might this help

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0409/1129667-covid-19-figures/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Are you for real ?

I have been keeping an eye on the numbers from Slovenia and Croatia throughout this whole thing.

Croatia have 1 million less people than Ireland and Slovenia a population of 2 million but have a border with Italy and Croatia is practically beside Italy. Both countries have large cultural connections with Italy and also have a lot of seasonal workers that work in the Italian Ski Resorts.

Combined their population is 6 million. 1 million more than Ireland. Yet their case numbers are

Combine them and you have 2531 Cases and 61 deaths for a joint population of 1 million more than us and both are right beside Italy, with a lot of movement between the countries.

So why do we, a country of 5 million, an island on the edge of Europe have 6574 Cases and 263 Deaths.

Slovenia shut their borders to Italy on the 10th of March. A few days later, Croatia shut their borders to Slovenia. Austria then shut their borders to Slovenia.

Slovenia and Croatia have got this absolutely bang on. No road entries and flights are very, very limited.

We only started to man out border up north today (obviously its a contentious issue) and flights are still arriving willy nilly. The only thing that slowed the flights were the airlines.

Well, part of it may be testing rates. Ireland is currently testing at a rate of about 10,000 tests per million people. Croatia is about 3,300/mil. Slovenia's doing more though, about 15,000/mil, albeit with a population less than half of ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

People who called for the borders to be shut here around the start of March where called racists, weirdos, anti open borders and all other kinds of sh1t.

I said it then and I'll repeat it now, that mistake will cost us dearly in fact we might not have seen the level of restrictions we have now and may have saved many businesses from going to the wall not to mention the amount of lives saved.

But yeah racism etc...

syngindub wrote: »
    Are you for real ?

That is about right. Gradual easing through May.

Sky said tonight Whitehall is planning their process, they just won't be releasing it yet.

On the basis of that table 27 have died in hospital without being admitted to ICU, and 6 have died without being admitted to hospital.

yeh I wanted to know where the 6 died because it wasnt a hospital or nursing home

BanditLuke wrote: »
    People who called for the borders to be shut here around the start of March where called racists, weirdos, anti open borders and all other kinds of sh1t.

I said it then and I'll repeat it now, that mistake will cost us dearly in fact we might not have seen the level of restrictions we have now and may have saved many businesses from going to the wall not to mention the amount of lives saved.

But yeah racism etc...

It takes time to repatriate everybody, all the people to get home from Cheltenham, Spain, Italy etc., this took time.

You can't just dump Irish families in Tenerife, for example.

Well for starters, they've been reassigning the public sector to contact tracing and COVID-related work. Health department, but also people from completely unrelated offices- arts, libraries, immigration.
    I would suggest lecturers in ucd ucc maynooth etc who have studied antropology or ethnology. They have the needed skills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

What is a gradual ease? Does it mean opening some shops and allowing more people to go to work? If yes then how social distancing will apply to the shops, workplaces and public transport??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

easypazz wrote: »
    That is about right. Gradual easing through May.

Sky said tonight Whitehall is planning their process, they just won't be releasing it yet.[/QUOTE
    Gradual easing through month of May gives the impression, a false one, that everything will be hunky dory by June.
    Not a hope. Wishful thinking on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

easypazz wrote: »
    There are a lot saying gradual ease late April through month of May.

No chance. They just doing this to prevent widespread unrest. We in this for the long term.

Best case is 6 weeks more

Worst case is 12 weeks but even that depends on many things going our way.

speckle wrote: »
    yeh I wanted to know where the 6 died because it wasnt a hospital or nursing home

We do include anyone who tests positive with Covid before or after death into the stats. Could be natural causes, heart attack or anything.
    I assume it's a notified disease, so has to be added to the death cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

My information says your information is made up. Who to believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement