Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

easypazz wrote: »
    That is about right. Gradual easing through May.

Sky said tonight Whitehall is planning their process, they just won't be releasing it yet.[/QUOTE
    Gradual easing through month of May gives the impression, a false one, that everything will be hunky dory by June.
    Not a hope. Wishful thinking on their part.

What are you predicting, lockdown until at least July?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

BanditLuke wrote: »
    People who called for the borders to be shut here around the start of March where called racists, weirdos, anti open borders and all other kinds of sh1t.

I just remember them being called people who were ignoring the advice of the WHO, EU and the CMO.

I think we'll find in time that there were lots of mistakes made by experts and people in power through this whole process, but please let's not pretend that the the random angry reactionaries were on to some common-sense truth which will be vindicated.

There will be lots of idiots who got something right by blind luck. That does not mean we should listen to the idiots next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It takes time to repatriate everybody, all the people to get home from Cheltenham, Spain, Italy etc., this took time.

You can't just dump Irish families in Tenerife, for example.

Why not? They made their bed. It was obvious to anyone with an IQ higher than a goldfish we where in the verge of a worldwide pandemic not seen in over 100 years. Government should have been warning people from mid February to not travel and return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

No chance. They just doing this to prevent widespread unrest. We in this for the long term.

Best case is 6 weeks more

Worst case is 12 weeks but even that depends on many things going our way.

12 more weeks and I am going to look like cousin IT from the Addams family.

No chance. They just doing this to prevent widespread unrest. We in this for the long term.

Best case is 6 weeks more

Worst case is 12 weeks but even that depends on many things going our way.

6 weeks is earlier than I am saying.

• Advertisement

Why not? They made their bed. It was obvious to anyone with an IQ higher than a goldfish we where in the verge of a worldwide pandemic not seen in over 100 years. Government should have been warning people from mid February to not travel and return home.

Were you warning people back then?

Retrospectoscope is a powerful and much misused tool.

Would you ever cop on. Leave Irish people stranded all over the world. Not one country behaved like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Expect 5 to 6 more weeks of it, according to my information.

Whatever number of weeks it is, there remains the great unknown and that is the percentage of the population that has been infected, (and presumably immune if they survived), and consequently the percentage that have not been infected and therefore have no immunity.
    Unless a widely available and effective antibody test is developed, it is difficult to see how a substantial relaxation of restrictions can be contemplated at all. And if it transpires that a substantial majority of the population has no immunity then how can life return to any kind of normality while the danger of another major outbreak persists.
    Ironically, the more successful the lockdown is, the longer this nightmare will go on. A vaccine is our only real exit strategy.

The signs from China and Singapore are not good. Despite the measures in place the virus is finding a way.

I think when we open up again the air and sea ports should remain shut to all but freight.

Were you warning people back then?

Retrospectoscope is a powerful and much misused tool.

Yes you'll find I was

• Advertisement

Would you ever cop on. Leave Irish people stranded all over the world. Not one country behaved like that.

We didn't even bother to check their temperature on return.

Embarrassing organisation of measures

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Whatever number of weeks it is, there remains the great unknown and that is the percentage of the population that has been infected, (and presumably immune if they survived), and consequently the percentage that have not been infected and therefore have no immunity.
    Unless a widely available and effective antibody test is developed, it is difficult to see how a substantial relaxation of restrictions can be contemplated at all. And if it transpires that a substantial majority of the population has no immunity then how can life return to any kind of normality while the danger of another major outbreak persists.
    Ironically, the more successful the lockdown is, the longer this nightmare will go on. A vaccine is our only real exit strategy.

I'd expect foreign travel restrictions will be one of the last controls to be removed. If the testing, isolation and tracing processes are properly scaled and kept running, that could be enough to keep the numbers low until there is a vaccine. But we would expect periodic spikes, with shorter term lockdowns being re-instituted during that time. Vaccine won't come fast.

We're certainly not going "back to normal" any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

How long has China, Wuhan in particular, being under locked down? Other parts of China similar. From Jan 23rd until now. And only carefully organized limited easing. So let's say we can do it (and UK at same time) in 2.5 months. That's probably early to mid June initial easing. Then your testing, tracking and quarantining needs to be spot on to limit reignition of the damn thing. Depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

So Ireland is resulting in 12% positive results from the number of tests done which I think is actually a fantastic number. This 12% hopefully will reach its peak next week to maybe 15% and then start going down and down and down. Hopefully to the 5% mark where restrictions can be loosened.

UK its 22%, Spain 43% and the US its 20%. These countries are going to take significantly longer so when Ireland does eventually get somewhat back to normal we have to close our borders to the UK, EU and everybody or risk been imploded with tourists and setting the whole thing off again.

Gradually we can people back to work again with restrictions in place, e.g People still work from home where can, people can return to work where strict measures are introduced to keep people safe, obey social distancing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

worldometers needs to get dark mode going !!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Wolf359f wrote: »
    There is actually a figure of people who died outside of hospital, I thought it was about 12%, I could be wrong. But yes, it's impossible to know how many healthcare workers are hospitalized or in ICU.
    Missed that source but it would yieild 31/32 deaths outside hospital rather than the 6 implicit in the report.

That rather emphasises the point that I was attempting to make which was that the way in which the HSE is still presenting figures is indeed very muddled if not intentionally misleading.

It is usual when tabulating results that if one is using unrelated figures detailed/derived elsewhere to reference them to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

Person: “I can’t go because of CoronaVirus”
    - Whiny
    - Boring
    - Weak

Person: “I've sworn an oath of solitude til the blight is purged from these lands”
    - Heroic, Valiant
    - People will assume you have a sword
    - Impossible for them to check if you really have a sword because of Coronavirus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

should i cancel sky?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I think the lockdown will remain at current levels until after the June bank holiday weekend then maybe some gradual easing of restrictions after that until the end of September unless there is a huge spike in deaths during those months in which case there will be a clampdown again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Do NPHET meet in the morning or evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

bekker wrote: »
    Missed that source but it would yieild 31/32 deaths outside hospital rather than the 6 implicit in the report.

That rather emphasises the point that I was attempting to make which was that the way in which the HSE is still presenting figures is indeed very muddled if not intentionally misleading.

It is usual when tabulating results that if one is using unrelated figures detailed/derived elsewhere to reference them to avoid confusion.

They do go into some detail at the press conferences, especially answering journalists questions. But I swear to god the level of journalism is so bloody low, they don't seem to make a note and report on them.
    Case in mind, George Lee missing the start as he was doing his bit on RTE and then proceed to ask the same questions that were already asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Yes you'll find I was

you were absolutely. wasnt posting at that time only reading cos I was volunteering elsewhere re covid at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

So Ireland is resulting in 12% positive results from the number of tests done which I think is actually a fantastic number. This 12% hopefully will reach its peak next week to maybe 15% and then start going down and down and down. Hopefully to the 5% mark where restrictions can be loosened.

UK its 22%, Spain 43% and the US its 20%. These countries are going to take significantly longer so when Ireland does eventually get somewhat back to normal we have to close our borders to the UK, EU and everybody or risk been imploded with tourists and setting the whole thing off again.

Gradually we can people back to work again with restrictions in place, e.g People still work from home where can, people can return to work where strict measures are introduced to keep people safe, obey social distancing etc.

GTFO with your positivity, most posters on here are preparing doomsday posts for Wave 4 and 5. How dare you!

Yes you'll find I was

He was and all. Fair play.

I'd ask you for a tip. If there were any sports left to bet on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Shn99 wrote: »

Morning I think. Last Friday their meeting finished at 4pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Shn99 wrote: »

They are meeting tomorrow morning but any government announcement will not be until tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

nocoverart wrote: »
    GTFO with your positivity, most posters on here are preparing doomsday posts for Wave 4 and 5. How dare you!

We are in good shape to be honest. Reckon Middle of May we will be back up and running still with some restrictions in place.

The elderly on the other hand will go on for much longer unfortunately. Expect they will be advised to stay home till the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He was and all. Fair play.

I'd ask you for a tip. If there were any sports left to bet on.

Chinese sports are starting to come back. No doubt you'll be able to bet in play soon, the bookies are dying to take bets on something!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People who called for the borders to be shut here around the start of March where called racists, weirdos, anti open borders and all other kinds of sh1t.

I said it then and I'll repeat it now, that mistake will cost us dearly in fact we might not have seen the level of restrictions we have now and may have saved many businesses from going to the wall not to mention the amount of lives saved.

But yeah racism etc...

The government were afraid of the economic effect of closing the borders to tourists before St Patricks Day. And Leo and Simon Coveney were afraid that it might harm their post governmental job opportunities with the EU/UN.

I think Pascal Donoghue even said something about hurting the Italians feelings ffs

If they had have shut the ports, given Irish residents/citizens a mandate of a week to come home or you're on you're own and left imports/exports as normal, we would be going about our daily lives as normal.

If this rearrises next year, I don't have much confidence on any party in doing the right thing and self isolating as a nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

syngindub wrote: »
    should i cancel sky?

Can see where you are coming from but I’m not going to. Might be fûck all live sport but it’s going to be a boring couple of months ahead so whatever can provide a distraction.

I know it’s out of sky’s hands what’s happening but either way, the service is advertising to each of us on the premise of ‘LIVE SPORT’ being the premier attraction to us purchasing. They could make a gesture that would be appreciated whereby they offer existing customers two half price months or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement