Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Don't believe I can be alone in discerning the pronounced tendency among significant cohort of March and April registrants to compare apples to pineapples in order to reach a conclusion that we (the powers that be) are doing a fantastic job in this country and we'll all be back to normal soon.

Wonder how their appearance would correlate with periods of increasing public questioning of caretaker government, HSE et al on testing fiasco, nursing home clusters, and lack of action implementing powers for Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

bekker wrote: »
    Don't believe I can be alone in discerning the pronounced tendency among significant cohort of March and April registrants to compare apples to pineapples in order to reach a conclusion that we (the powers that be) are doing a fantastic job in this country and we'll all be back to normal soon.

Wonder how their appearance would correlate with periods of increasing public questioning of caretaker government, HSE et al on testing fiasco, nursing home clusters, and lack of action implementing powers for Gardaí.

Could be confirmation bias you are seeing.

I'm seeing a lot of accounts from the same time frame who are warning of dictators making their moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We are in good shape to be honest. Reckon Middle of May we will be back up and running still with some restrictions in place.

The elderly on the other hand will go on for much longer unfortunately. Expect they will be advised to stay home till the end of June.

Sigh.... It's not just the elderly, there's plenty of young people with underlying conditions who are at risk also.
    There's plenty of young people living with elderly or at risk people. I have no idea how they can go back to normal either, if they become asymptomatic and arrive home.... It's a big issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

bekker wrote: »

Who the fook knows really. Lovely weather lately, go out and catch a few rays in your garden tomorrow. Vitamin Positivity is good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Sigh.... It's not just the elderly, there's plenty of young people with underlying conditions who are at risk also.
    There's plenty of young people living with elderly or at risk people. I have no idea how they can go back to normal either, if they become asymptomatic and arrive home.... It's a big issue

I get ya, sorry but we can't keep the country locked down just on the above.

They'll have to try accommodate themselves best they can, young person working living with elderly move in with other family members, move in with friends, keep isolated in their houses away from their family and stay in their bedroom etc.

Same applies with someone with an underlying illness living with people working, stay in their room, move in with elderly family members etc.

• Advertisement

They'll have to try accommodate themselves best they can, young person working living with elderly move in with other family members, move in with friends, keep isolated in their houses away from their family and stay in their bedroom etc.

Turn down the hob Maureen, there's a dear. This account is cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Yes you'll find I was

Excellent. Do you think you could move on and start looking at the future, instead of repeating what the government didn't do 1-2 months ago?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I get ya, sorry but we can't keep the country locked down just on the above.

Same applies with someone with an underlying illness living with people working, stay in their room, move in with elderly family members etc.
    Your proposed policies are absolutely flawed and seeing as you're unqualified to make such proposals, completely groundless.

"We can't keep the country locked down"
    On what basis? There has been a cost/benefit analysis which has measured potential loss of life against potential damage to the economy and this has so far determined that the best course of action is to remain cautious.

I repeatedly find myself having to say here (to posters who I variously suspect of being the same person) that in a scenario where I am part of a group that is being urged to return to their usual business, without adequate safeguards in place to ensure I don't get a virus for which there aren't any effective treatments, I will be politely declining.

Is your downtime really so mundane that you would risk death on a mass scale to get back to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

s1ippy wrote: »
    Your proposed policies are absolutely flawed and seeing as you're unqualified to make such proposals, completely groundless.

On what basis? There has been a cost/benefit analysis which has measured potential loss of life against potential damage to the economy and this has so far determined that the best course of action is to remain cautious.

I repeatedly find myself having to say here (to posters who I variously suspect of being the same person) that in a scenario where I am part of a group that is being urged to return to their usual business, without adequate safeguards in place to ensure I don't get a virus for which there aren't any effective treatments, I will be politely declining.

Is your downtime really so mundane that you would risk death on a mass scale to get back to work?

If people have an underlying illness that prevents them from going back to work give them the 350 euro a week until the vaccine comes out. Keep all the most vulnerable isolated.

I am not qualified no but your not either. We can't wait around 12-18 months for a vaccine to come out. I am fully in favor of the lockdown until the numbers come down to a good level. I would also be in favour of shutting down our borders when they do.

But the economy has to get going when the spread is manageable in a few weeks time. If people choose to stay at home and leave their job, that's up to them.

We can't all be living like hermits for the next 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

...so far.

that will change in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Could be confirmation bias you are seeing.

I'm seeing a lot of accounts from the same time frame who are warning of dictators making their moves.
    Could very well be, and it's a more balanced and benign explanation, but apples and pineapples :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Supposedly footage of mass graves being filled in NYC:
    https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1248374630399672321?s=19

Unbelievable times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ardent wrote: »
    Supposedly footage of mass graves being filled in NYC:
    https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1248374630399672321?s=19

Unbelievable times.

Why are they burying them instead of cremating them - doesn't make sense

Can anyone validate the area/buidlings?

Hmm the footage is from Reuters...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

fritzelly wrote: »

Google Hart Island. It is there and also a lot of other stories pop up verifying this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Google Hart Island. It is there and also a lot of other stories pop up verifying this story.

Yeah found it, seems to be here
    https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8485103,-73.7679368,172a,35y,306.88h,60.2t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-GB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I believe the intention is that they're being buried temporarily, until they can be safely returned to families for them re-inter or cremate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What do you quantify as mass scale, 0.5% or more. What if a vaccine takes 2-3 years to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Isnt this where they bury bodies that havent been claimed for 14 days, was the death rate that high there two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hart+Island/@40.84882,-73.7703755,148a,35y,39.54t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c28c0d7b34078d:0xfea675f600d04b25!8m2!3d40.8536269!4d-73.7705846

It is Hart Island in NYC in the video yes. The plan of the building is recognisable

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

niallo27 wrote: »
    Isnt this where they bury bodies that havent been claimed for 14 days, was the death rate that high there two weeks ago
    Undertakers are swamped, usual funerals cannot take place. Bodies still carry the virus, they need to be disposed of as quickly as possible. Hence the mass graves. It's not just the "unclaimed" - it's a need to clear mortuaries, ice rinks, wherever else they are piling the dead ready for the next day.
    Unbelievable but sadly true.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

...so far.

that will change in a few weeks
    It will change if the public mood changes beyond being able to contain people further. People want to get back to their social lives and go out like they used to. When the lockdown is eased, they'll return to work but they probably won't be able to go out and resume normality in the way that MaureensFry poster is asserting. The cost of going back to work for them is highly likely to be them contracting this virus at work, all because of their childish impatience, and they may very well be victims of the next "hospital surge".
    niallo27 wrote: »
    What do you quantify as mass scale, 0.5% or more. What if a vaccine takes 2-3 years to develop.

0.5% or more isn't even the current rate with a lockdown. With movement of people increased, how could the figure possibly remain that low?

I have every expectation the vaccine will take at least that long to develop and probably longer. There has never been a vaccine against a coronavirus. At least there is a modicum of possibility that there will be some sort of treatment for this one, or it may mutate to a weaker strain. But there is also a likelihood of a more virulent and deadly strain emerging.

So again, have at it if that's the way you want to go. It's just very sad that people have so little to live for in their private lives.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

What's going on with the shoveling? Surely they could have a mini digger or jake.

*edit* just saw another video showing machinery putting soil (?) over the coffins. Looks a different colour to the existing soil so presume it's a fine soil to get into the gaps and you'd need a few people on the shovel to assist that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

If people have an underlying illness that prevents them from going back to work give them the 350 euro a week until the vaccine comes out. Keep all the most vulnerable isolated.

I am not qualified no but your not either. We can't wait around 12-18 months for a vaccine to come out. I am fully in favor of the lockdown until the numbers come down to a good level. I would also be in favour of shutting down our borders when they do.

But the economy has to get going when the spread is manageable in a few weeks time. If people choose to stay at home and leave their job, that's up to them.

We can't all be living like hermits for the next 18 months.
    This is really basic economic theory. If we were the only country in a lockdown situation, then yes, there would be massive concerns for the country and the economy. We would be looking at a severe depression. However, almost every wealthy country in the world has been hit hard by this. Economies don't function in isolation, they function as part of a extremely intricate and complex web. It's why when one country tanks, most do the same.

Both the IMF and EU have agreed huge bailout packages as it's almost every country that contributes in a way to both of those that's been hit hard by this. We will have a recession coming out of this but unlike the last one there is a lot of room to bounce back this time.

Saving lives on a large scale is far more important than financial matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

This might be a ridiculous question but are we seeing the beginnings of antiobiotic resistance type viruses we have long been told will eventually come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    This is really basic economic theory. If we were the only country in a lockdown situation, then yes, there would be massive concerns for the country and the economy. We would be looking at a severe depression. However, almost every wealthy country in the world has been hit hard by this. Economies don't function in isolation, they function as part of a extremely intricate and complex web. It's why when one country tanks, most do the same.

Both the IMF and EU have agreed huge bailout packages as it's almost every country that contributes in a way to both of those that's been hit hard by this. We will have a recession coming out of this but unlike the last one there is a lot of room to bounce back this time.

Essentially everyone is fooked, so I can't envisage this being like the last one. This is not a recession caused by profligacy.

Essentially we all want to get back to normal ASAP so austerity isn't an option.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

David McWilliam's has some good podcasts outlining this and the bounce-back that will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Maestro85 wrote: »
    This might be a ridiculous question but are we seeing the beginnings of antiobiotic resistance type viruses we have long been told will eventually come to pass.

Well, antibiotics can't kill viruses, so I guess that's a yes. Technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Antibiotics do not work on viruses. Never have. They combat bacterial disease.

Antibiotics do not work on viruses. Never have.

and I just learned something new. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Studies aren't thorough as of yet. Early (and mind, early is rarely correct, but we don't know what side of it is actually correct) indications suggest there is a low level of antibodies left by the virus. However, we are probably at least a full month from getting any sort of conclusive evidence and consensus will take 3-6 months from now most likely.

EDIT: Misread that as antibodies rather than antibiotics but gonna leave this here anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement