Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Maestro85 wrote: »
    This might be a ridiculous question but are we seeing the beginnings of antiobiotic resistance type viruses we have long been told will eventually come to pass.

Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses or viral infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

For any Dubs planning on heading to Cork
    Met Eireann Weather: Huge mysterious hurricane that only hits Irish holiday homes forecast for Cork

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/met-eireann-weather-huge-mysterious-18066296

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

and I just learned something new. Thank you.

TBF, as fascinating as the science behind bacteria and viruses are, they're both essentially little bastards that can cause us grief.

---

I really would recommend reading up on viruses though. It's just mind blowing stuff!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

For us to have hit 15k, just under half of people tested would have had to be positive for Covid. Has any country got a 50% infection rate?? We’d only done 42k tests up to Tuesday.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Goodfellas was on t.v. last night. In the prison scene they have access to the best of steaks ,garlic,veg and pasta!

Me-self and the household are doing our bit. One weekly shop , by one person in the house.

I'm contemplating breaking this rule. I feel like going out on Saturday to get the papers,get the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Goodfellas was on t.v. last night. In the prison scene they have access to the best of steaks ,garlic,veg and pasta!

Me-self and the household are doing our bit. One weekly shop , by one person in the house.

I'm contemplating breaking this rule. I feel like going out on Saturday to get the papers,get the papers.

Can you get them digitally?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/cabinet-minister-robert-jenrick-visited-his-parents-during-covid-19-lockdown

This witch hunt is getting ridiculous. We need these people in post but seem intent in ousting them.

David McWilliam's has some good podcasts outlining this and the bounce-back that will follow.

He mentioned that the EU were not agreeing to a bond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Ardent wrote: »
    Supposedly footage of mass graves being filled in NYC:
    https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1248374630399672321?s=19

Unbelievable times.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nyc-coronavirus-covid-19-hart-island-pottersfield-city-cemetery-burials-2020-4

Looked it up. Such stark footage. Apparently it is what those prisoners do all the time. Mass burial of the unclaimed. But now the numbers are very very much increased. What an absolutely terrible job, all of them, terrible jobs, the people who wheel out the gurneys and stack the refrigerated trucks, the fork lift drivers, the people zipping into body bags, those cataloguing coffins, those digging soil, those piling coffins up so high on top of each other, every part of this work must be traumatising. And then that all these dead people are "unclaimed". How does that even happen in such great numbers?
    The kind of scenes one finds hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cloudatlas wrote: »
    He mentioned that the EU were not agreeing to a bond.

They agreed to a different package of measures.

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2020/0409/1129708-covid-19-plan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Strumms wrote: »
    Can see where you are coming from but I’m not going to. Might be fûck all live sport but it’s going to be a boring couple of months ahead so whatever can provide a distraction.

I know it’s out of sky’s hands what’s happening but either way, the service is advertising to each of us on the premise of ‘LIVE SPORT’ being the premier attraction to us purchasing. They could make a gesture that would be appreciated whereby they offer existing customers two half price months or something.

I rang them 2 weeks ago and they have frozen the bill on all my sports packages while still allowing me to receive all the channels.
    Just been debited only around 24 euro for the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The seems to be a lot of work going on in my local cemetery in the last few days

Cement trucks excavators etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can RTE not do adds along with the rest of them, to say that this can be spread by talking. It's just cop on for the most part, stay away from people, yet people find it difficult to do.

Can RTE not do adds along with the rest of them, to say that this can be spread by talking. It's just cop on for the most part, stay away from people, yet people find it difficult to do.

Why would they say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

From Norway, the end of restrictions is coming.. Not too much hysteria in the press here

CORONA STATUS UPDATE 10th April 2020
    Good evening dear friends. We in the "Corona-team" hope you are all enjoying the long weekend, despite the current circumstances. We have also been discussing how long to continue with the updates for. "As long as we are needed" would be a good answer. But realistically speaking, I expect we will be saying good-bye to you all towards the end of April. By then, the country will be properly into the re-opening phase again. Possibly some sporadic updates after that. Anyway, let's see how this works out. No need to commit to anything right now.
    HEALTH, MEDICAL AND SOCIAL ISSUES
    First, a REALLY IMPORTANT PIECE OF NEWS. The Institute of Public Health will make available a smart phone app after Easter that they are encouraging everyone to down load. The app will track your movement and it will report to you if you have been less than two meters from an infected person for more than 15 minutes. The greater the number of people who download the app, the easier it will be for authorities to track those who might inadvertently have been infected. WE WILL PUBLISH THE APP NAME AS SOON AS IT IS RELEASED.
    I see from discussion on the Expat Face book page that many of you are really concerned about sending your little ones back to nursery school and school. There is some degree of misgiving about this among Norwegians too. That is why a Professor of Epidemiology at the University of Tromsø published a really well written chronicle about this today. If I have time later on tonight, I'll translate the chronicle for you.
    Professor Eiliv Lund contends that the epidemic is no longer a serious threat to the healthy part of the population. He bases this on statistics (published in the paper) newly received from the Italian Public Health Institute. The stats show unequivocally that fatalities for those in their 40s (or younger) is extremely rare. For children and teenagers, virtually no one died, unless they had a concomitant diagnosis placing them in a risk group. The professor points out that the Italian population, especially the elderly, are in a far less fortunate state physically than the Norwegian population. The conclusion therefore, is that for families in their 40s with children, there is virtually no risk of death or serious illness. And therefore, there is no reason why these families cannot return to school and work.
    Another article in Aftenposten states that we will not be able to return to the society we were, until a vaccine against Covid19 is released onto the market. Opening society is one thing, but vulnerable groups will still have to be protected for some time into the future. Practically speaking (and added by Anthony) this would mean that if you are a family living in Stavanger and you have children at school, it would not be a clever idea to invite Granny and Grandad to stay. Nor would it be wise to visit Grandparents in the country in which they reside. The same would go for other relatives belonging to risk groups.
    Many of you have been asking about recovery statistics in Norway. We did publish some stats showing recovery numbers for Norway, but these were deemed quite inaccurate so we dropped the practise. However, one of the country's largest hospitals, Ahus in Lørenskog municipality just outside of Oslo, gave an interview today where they talked about patients that have recovered. Ahus has discharged 100 Covid19 patients. None of those discharged had any sign of long-term complications. Eleven patients had been in ICU, and 84 in normal medical wards. Patients moved to ICU had been there on average for 12 days. Those who had needed a respirator had been on the respirator for an average of 10 days. The hospital describes the treatment for Covid19 patients as demanding both times wise and in terms of resources. In many cases the hospital put sealed oxygen masks on patients and this seemed to work really well. All in all, Covid19 patients spent on average 6 days in hospital. The good news, reports the hospital, is that so many patients fully recover and can be discharged within a week.
    Back to testing procedures. It seems the health sector has heeded the call from politicians to dramatically increase testing of the population. Stavanger University Hospital reports that they will be increasing capacity dramatically so that before summer, they will be testing 1000 persons a day. The hospital says that they are ready to increase even further, if needed. Svein Lie from the Health Directorate confirms this trend. On a national scale, the country will be performing 100.000 Corona virus tests a week before May, he said.
    Many of you will have seen the Norwegian Prime Minister in the media yesterday defending the WHO – World Health Organisation. The WHO has come under fire recently by a prominent state leader. Erna Solberg said she entirely disagrees with the statement. She states that the current situation shows how hugely important the WHO's role is. And that support for the organisation's work should rather increase, than decrease.
    BUSINESS NEWS, PUBLIC TRANSPORT
    The ABC news site published a news article stating that the current crisis is really hitting Norwegian families hard economically. The main factor is that the number of unemployed in the country has risen to an all-time high. As of 7th April, 304.000 persons are looking for work. That represents 10,8% of the work-force. In addition, 129.000 are partially unemployed. The total number of unemployed then represents 15,4% of the work force. The article points out that the unemployment rate has not been so high since the second world war.
    The positive factors contributing to economic relief are:
    ¤ The interest rate on housing loans has been decreased
    ¤ Petrol (Gas in the US) is cheaper
    ¤ We are all using less money
    ¤ The property market seems to be holding up in spite of the crisis
    The negative factors contributing to economic difficulty are:
    ¤ The high number of unemployed
    ¤ A weaker kroner makes imports and holidays in foreign countries more expensive
    ¤ Salary negotiations for this, a major year, have been put on hold.
    POLITICAL NEWS
    Nothing to report
    EDUCATION AND RELIGIOUS AFFAIRS
    Nothing to report
    Now over to Nieve in the statistics department.
    Statistics
    NUMBER OF PERSONS TESTED UP TO 9th April at 21:10 – 121.034
    There are now 6162 infected persons in Norway, 146 new cases were diagnosed on the 9th April. By the 9th of April at 21h00 seven more people have died from the disease bringing the total number of deaths in Norway up to one hundred and eight.
    According to FHI, the average age of the first 88 deaths was 83 years. The youngest person was 51 years old.
    Hospital staff in Norwegian hospitals
    513 confirmed cases
    1696 hospital staff in quarantine
    Gender of those infected
    Men 50,0%
    Women 50,0%
    Infectious sources are as follows:
    Italy 170
    Local 3345
    Austria 693
    Switzerland 48
    UK 102
    Spain 333
    USA 43
    Germany 22
    France 36
    Portugal 11
    Iran 7
    Sweden 13
    Denmark 10
    Unspecified foreign 1230
    Not known 97 cases.
    Local statistics
    In Rogaland, one new case was identified on the 9th of April. That brings the total for each municipality to the following: Stavanger 124 (1 new case), Sandnes 46, Randaberg 11, Klepp 6, Time 12, Gjesdal 14, Eigersund 14, Hå 6, Sola 13 and 50 in Haugesund.
    Patients hospitalised 252
    Oslo universitetssykehus 51
    Ahus Nordbyhagen 29
    Diakonhjemmet sykehus 18
    Bærum sykehus 16
    Sykehuset Østfold Kalnes 14
    Haukeland universitetssykehus 13
    Sykehuset Innlandet 12
    Lovisenberg Diakonale Sykehus 11
    St. Olavs hospital 10
    Sørlandet sykehus 9
    Sykehuset i Vestfold 8
    UNN Tromsø 7
    Sykehuset Telemark 5
    Nordlandssykehuset 5
    Stavanger universitetssykehus 5
    Drammen sykehus 5
    Haugesund sykehus 4
    Kristiansund sykehus 4
    Levanger sykehus 4
    Kongsvinger sykehus 4
    Haraldsplass diakonale sykehus 3
    Ringerike sykehus 3
    Førde sentralsykehus 2
    Volda sykehus 2
    Molde sykehus 2
    Sted ikke oppgitt 2
    Helgelandssykehuset 1
    Ålesund sykehus 1
    Hammerfest sykehus 1
    UNN Narvik 1
    Patients on mechanical ventilation 70
    Helse Sør-Øst 49
    Helse Vest 9
    Helse Midt-Norge 6
    Helse Nord 6
    Patients in ICU 92
    Helse Sør-Øst 65
    Helse Vest 10
    Helse Midt-Norge 9
    Helse Nord 8
    Age spread
    00 – 09 years 68 cases
    10 – 19 years 257 cases
    20 – 29 years 871 cases
    30 – 39 years 984 cases
    40 – 49 years 1156 cases
    50 – 59 years 1229 cases
    60 – 69 years 730 cases
    70 – 79 years 491 cases
    80 – 89 years 288 cases
    90 – 99 years 86 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

BanditLuke wrote: »
    People who called for the borders to be shut here around the start of March where called racists, weirdos, anti open borders and all other kinds of sh1t.

I said it then and I'll repeat it now, that mistake will cost us dearly in fact we might not have seen the level of restrictions we have now and may have saved many businesses from going to the wall not to mention the amount of lives saved.

But yeah racism etc...

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    *wall of unreadable text*

Care to give us the jist?

Care to give us the jist?

It's worth the read, even for the sprinkling of positivity it might bring

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Impossible to read. Why not edit out the stats a bit?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Impossible to read. Why not edit out the stats a bit?

Just give me a sec, I will break it up into bit size bits for you

• Advertisement

I'm fascinated by their claim of an app that can tell you if you've been less than 2m of an infected person for more than 15 mins.

Would love to know from a technical point of view how this is possible. Location services aren't that accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why would they say that?

Because it can be spread by talking and breathing.

But nevermind, it's the Easter weekend and weather is meant to be nice, so fcuk everything and go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

From Norway

My hair caught fire trying to read that.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

I get ya, sorry but we can't keep the country locked down just on the above.

They'll have to try accommodate themselves best they can, young person working living with elderly move in with other family members, move in with friends, keep isolated in their houses away from their family and stay in their bedroom etc.

Same applies with someone with an underlying illness living with people working, stay in their room, move in with elderly family members etc.

This would be much easier if there wasn’t a broken house market. Also our healthcare system overall doesn’t function efficiently on normal days never mind with an increase of a highly contagious disease.

I feel HSE need to sort out ability to manage this along side a normal functioning hospital for us to get back to normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Already posted and discussed.

But nevermind, it's the Easter weekend and weather is meant to be nice, so fcuk everything and go out.

What exactly is your picture of the world?

The handful of conversations I see are brief and at quite a distance.

You need to calm down a bit.

Also there's very little beyond supposition that says it's communicated in any meaningful way through talking or breathing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

and I just learned something new. Thank you.

You may be confusing it with antibody development of drugs to help treat the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You need to stop overthinking this. They advise a 2m gap. That prohibits droplets from normal breathing and talking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

frillyleaf wrote: »
    This would be much easier if there wasn’t a broken house market. Also our healthcare system overall doesn’t function efficiently on normal days never mind with an increase of a highly contagious disease.

I feel HSE need to sort out ability to manage this along side a normal functioning hospital for us to get back to normal

I know that what I am going to say will be hugely unpopular. But I have observed the HSE a lot, and I think that it is a pretty decent system. It is not perfect; like every other health service in the world it is under pressure. But if a person is genuinely in need of healthcare, they will get top-class healthcare, regardless of who they are. I have witnessed patients being reviewed by five consultants in different specialities in one day when somebody is critically ill. The consultants are highly trained here (more than in the US, and certain other European countries).

If you read the French media, or the UK media, their health systems buckle in the same way our health system does. The truth is that people are living longer. And as people grow older, they accumulate more health issues. This changing demographic is compounded by the increasing expectations for the level of treatment for sick people (thankfully, we can cure more people now). These positive results, are invariably going to place strain on any health system. I think that the health system is coping relatively well here. I would choose the HSE before I would choose the US.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement