Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What’s happening today so.is there an announcement about restrictions due?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Irish Times is saying at least another 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Re the Norway post

An app to track movement? I can’t see there being a big uptake of something like that. I understand the benefit, but would I sign up? No.

Is it today we find out what’s happening?
    Is there an announcement due today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭circadian

Is there an actual source for that wall of text dump?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

The emergency health team is to give their recommendation to gov't today so that points towards yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Yes, and current conditions expected to remain for 2 more weeks at least.

To answer your first question - yes.

and second one - Yes!

"Today's the day"

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Whehey!

Already posted and discussed.

Glad you cleared that up

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Might aswell say a month more lockdown to get it out of the way. Its needed anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Multipass wrote: »
    Re the Norway post

An app to track movement? I can’t see there being a big uptake of something like that. I understand the benefit, but would I sign up? No.
    Not many will sign up, although two weeks ago the council in bergen started to track everybody's movement by GSM. They texted people who congregated in groups of 5 or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

There seems to be a policy of bumping up Covid-19 death numbers by changing the way deaths are registered:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Level 42 wrote: »
    Might aswell say a month more lockdown to get it out of the way. Its needed anyway

How do you know it's needed? With a three week lag between infection and results from the test, we don't even know if the current restrictions have had an impact yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Probably another 2-4 weeks.

Our numbers are lagging a lot, it takes 5 days on average to see symptoms in a person, then assuming they ask for a test immediately they will wait another few days to be tested and up to 14 days for a result. Overall, that's a 21 day lag.

Honestly, numbers infected are meaningless as up to 50% could be asymptomatic. Hospitalised numbers Vs deaths are a better indication are a better comparison, but the death rate would appear far too high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You need to stop overthinking this. They advise a 2m gap. That prohibits droplets from normal breathing and talking.

So why are people not able for that 2m advice?

Minimise the amount of people in the shops but then they are allowed to go anywhere and in any direction in the shop. People standing outside the shop gossiping away with less than half a meter between them. House parties and visitors going around visiting friends. People just don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The care home situation is dreadful globally. In Lombardy Russian chemical, biological and radiological experts from Russian Defence ministry disinfecting retirement/ care / nursing homes.

We would never ask for help from them I guess? Why not though? We clearly have a disaster on going in nursing homes and need all the help we can get. Clearly know what they are doing. AKAIK we do knot have this capability.

https://www.rt.com/news/484343-italy-russia-covid19-response/

I don’t think they will say a month.
    They might be planning a month but they will do it a week or two at a time.
    If they came out and said a month,the drama queens would fcukin explode and then not alone would you have the covid pandemic, you would also have the exploded drama queen pandemic plus a couple of thousand rebels without a cause taking to the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

moonage wrote: »
    There seems to be a policy of bumping up Covid-19 death numbers by changing the way deaths are registered:

There should be a ban on fox news segments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

So why are people not able for that 2m advice?

Minimise the amount of people in the shops but then they are allowed to go anywhere and in any direction in the shop. People standing outside the shop gossiping away with less than half a meter between them. House parties and visitors going around visiting friends. People just don't understand.

I’d find it very difficult to stay at home if you lived in the house !!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Amazing that people would not take part in an app to end a pandemic and save lives.

But give all their data to WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram,Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Today will be another sad milestone of 100,000 "reported" worldwide COVID19 deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Whehey! wrote: »
    Glad you cleared that up

The "mass burial" grave is something they do daily for the homeless who have died.

Nothing to do with the virus - but you have some idiot epidemiologist who should know better tweeting that. :rolleyes:

hawkelady wrote: »
    I’d find it very difficult to stay at home if you lived in the house !!

I'm only saying what's happening in every town and village and how people aren't taking this seriously and here's boards again making me out to be a negative nelly. Off with you now and pass on your germs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭threeball

moonage wrote: »

Anyone quoting Fox news as a source for anything either doesn't have a clue what Fox are or is peddling an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

If the restrictions as laid out by the government are lifted on Sunday what's the first thing people will do. Me I think I'll get out into nature. Visit a beach or glendalough.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Yeah, but that will probably scatter a lot of people outside.

Seems many can't do this.

The reality though is that this is going to go on and on. The idea that we get to the end of the month and the virus has been somehow defeated is not where it is at at all.

What the authorities are legislating for (in all likelihood), is to stagger the working population back to work and try and get the infections rate on our terms as much as possible. This is what is happening in Wuhan. Apps for movement of infected population etc. I dont like the sound of that at all. Possibly will be introduced here, but on a voluntary basis.

Bottom line, the virus doesn't know the difference between April and May, a bank holiday or a week day. It won't just stop because we decide a month is a long enough time to have stayed indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'm fascinated by their claim of an app that can tell you if you've been less than 2m of an infected person for more than 15 mins.

Would love to know from a technical point of view how this is possible. Location services aren't that accurate.

Our app (likely based on Singapore's open-sourced one) will use Bluetooth.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-smartphone-app-to-facilitate-contact-tracing-to-be-rolled-out-hse-says-1.4215036

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

DellyBelly wrote: »
    If the restrictions as laid out by the government are lifted on Sunday what's the first thing people will do. Me I think I'll get out into nature. Visit a beach or glendalough.

It was because of people visiting the beach or Glendalough en masse that restrictions were imposed in the first place.

Go for a walk in an isolated location away from everyone else.

They won't be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Try find somewhere busier? maybe squeeze powerscourt waterfall in too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Ardent wrote: »
    Supposedly footage of mass graves being filled in NYC:
    https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1248374630399672321?s=19

Unbelievable times.

That's the scariest thing iv'e seen since this whole pandemic started. God help us all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement