Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Perhaps he's expecting not to be Taoiseach next week.
    Or sees another election looming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Danzy wrote: »
    Probably more close to success than others come or could come.

What were his "close successes" ?

Good for Leo to do something.

While SF's only recent activity is taking cheap swipes in the press and other TD's try and use the virus to get out of Dail meetings its nice to see some major politicians not dicking around.
    I fear your yardstick for measuring major is short a few feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

This was a disgusting notion - I hope "Operation Covid Nation" (shudder) is well and truly buried

Everyone who was involved with the thinking up of it should be ashamed of their opportunism at a time like this

what? why? it was going to look at ways to occupy time etc while being cooped up at home. whats wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Good for Leo to do something.

While SF's only recent activity is taking cheap swipes in the press and other TD's try and use the virus to get out of Dail meetings its nice to see some major politicians not dicking around.

What would be the actual point of Leo suiting up and going into battle in some random hospital...??

Serious question?

It would be a bit like the general of an army, jumping into the trenches with his soldiers and risking getting killed for the sake of currying favour with the men he's supposed to be leading... in other words, it would be very foolish and dumb!

Strikes me as more PR bullsh!t from our esteemed leader! Unless someone can enlighten me as to some other sensible reason why this would be necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭blade1

RobertKK wrote: »
    No refund for the unsuitable goods bought from China it seems.

Ali-Express have a refund process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

While I didn't personally work with him, I know some of his colleagues that worked in a Dublin Hospital. They said he was a typical intern and SHO. They didn't mention that he was particularly lazy. A few stories can get conflated into a general perception. And I say this as an actual frontline worker in the hospital. The gesture itself means a lot. It feels like solidarity towards his fellow medical professionals.

I'll have to differ with you on that. It is irrelevant anyway, he is the Taoiseach, at no time should he abandon that post to work in a hospital. It's pure spin. And I'm not taking a political stance, I'm a lifelong floating voter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

We are sandwiched in between two countries that have handled the situation abysmally. Both leaders up until recently showed total ignorance and disregard towards the severity of the situation causing deaths.

Our Govt have been way ahead of the two. Now we have the Taoiseach stepping up further to the plate and some keyboard warrior assclown pulls a lazy genralisation out of his hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    We are sandwiched in between two countries that have handled the situation abysmally. Both leaders up until recently showed total ignorance and disregard towards the severity of the situation causing deaths.

Our Govt have been way ahead of the two. Now we have the Taoiseach stepping up further to the plate and some keyboard warrior assclown pulls a lazy genralisation out of his hole.

In terms of the hard numbers/stats, the U.S are currently doing better than Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

What would be the actual point of Leo suiting up and going into battle in some random hospital...??

Serious question?

It would be a bit like the general of an army, jumping into the trenches with his soldiers and risking getting killed for the sake of currying favour with the men he's supposed to be leading... in other words, it would be very foolish and dumb!

Strikes me as more PR bullsh!t from our esteemed leader! Unless someone can enlighten me as to some other sensible reason why this would be necessary?

Leo will not be trying on any of the new gear from china,hes is on phone dutys "The report says Mr. Varadkar will work within the Health Service Executive (HSE), providing essential over-the-phone assessments to anyone who thinks they may have been exposed to COVID-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Serious question?

They need as many healthcare people as they can get and he's stepped up as a medical professional and he's just one of many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

polesheep wrote: »
    The frontline workers won't be jumping up and down. He was one of the laziest doctors in the country.

He wasn't. Have you worked with him?

Honestly, what plate has he stepped up to? I will give him credit for standing back and allowing the experts to to their thing. He has certainly shown good judgement in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I'll have to differ with you on that. It is irrelevant anyway, he is the Taoiseach, at no time should he abandon that post to work in a hospital. It's pure spin. And I'm not taking a political stance, I'm a lifelong floating voter.

If he helps in the area of healthcare, why does it matter if it’s spin? If he’s actually taking a physical risk with his own health (increased chances of getting it in a hospital environment) surely that’s a real leader getting their hands dirty and getting into the trenches with the soldiers?

I can think of a lot worse spin tactics used by parties, particularly spin that doesn’t put a politicians health at risk.

The Taoiseach is not running the country on his own, if he’s really helping out then it’s great. If all it does is increases the spirits of a lot of healthcare workers (the ones not completely cynical) then it’s a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Don't let them drag you down to their negative level.

Imagine spending all day literally moaning and whinging about people trying to do their best during a pandemic while they sit on their couch behind an iPhone.

These people would be the first to run away from anything and leave others to fight.

Insecure and jealous.

Hopefully this time next year we will in a position to make such a judgement based on something other that political prejudice.

is_that_so wrote: »
    They need as many healthcare people as they can get and he's stepped up as a medical professional and he's just one of many.

Actually, there is a possibility that we could be awash with medics. If that happens, however, it will be a happy situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In terms of the hard numbers/stats, the U.S are currently doing better than Ireland...

This should be what you think of when you hear the phrase, a Jesuitical answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I wonder will he get a new mug .

Actually, there is a possibility that we could be awash with medics. If that happens, however, it will be a happy situation to be in.

1000 healthcare workers out with covid.

Noone in the world knows where this will end.

We may need anyone medically qualified in a few weeks or even months.

What are you gonna do to help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When's the next update on infections and deaths?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

At the beginning I thought Fine Gael were doing a decent job even if their testing numbers were a bit of nonsense considering the capacity and lag.

Now I think they are spinning too much and trying to milk it for votes. It's not honourable.

Leo should not double job at this critical time.

The China delivery drama blew up in their faces, now this charade....all for optics of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

There are 794 currently hospitalised here with covid 19, according to RTE 6 news.
    Based on 20% of cases requiring hospitalisation, that would indicate total cases of around 4000.
    I think thats good news, as it's indication that the true number of cases is close to the confirmed number and not multiples of it, as feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

branie2 wrote: »
    When's the next update on infections and deaths?
    There will be a statement at some point this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

People saying we should have done x,y,z sooner still don't seem to get that the Government's strategy never was and and still isn't to stop the Virus completely.

The strategy is and has always been to keep the spread down to manageable for the Health service levels and they seem to have got that spot on.

1000 healthcare workers out with covid.

Noone in the world knows where this will end.

We may need anyone medically qualified in a few weeks or even months.

What are you gonna do to help?

We may well need each and every one of them, that doesn't mean that one cannot speculate that we might not. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we didn't?

At the beginning I thought Fine Gael were doing a decent job even if their testing numbers were a bit of nonsense.

Now I think they are spinning too much and trying to milk it. It's not honourable.

Yeah sure you did.

You spend all day long on the FG thread whinging crying moaning about them.

You offer nothing during this crisis only negativity and moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope it is good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

How do you make that out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Isn't Leo just working on the phones?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463

"It is understood the Taoiseach is helping out in phone assessments. Anyone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 is initially assessed over the phone rather than in person, to curb the spread of the virus."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement