Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Acosta wrote: »
    The government appear to have returned to pre virus mode of leaking most of the details of their plans to the media instead of just announcing themselves

What is being hinted at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭blackcard

Belgium reports 496 new deaths and 1684 new cases in 24 hours.

That's Belgium's highest death toll in a 24 hour period so far. Brings total to 3,019.

I don't know what is happening in Belgium, they had a spike a few days ago, don't know what is the reason behind this latest spike but they are catching up fast on Spain and Italy.
    Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland UK, Ireland and to a lesser extent Portugal, Denmark and Germany have been hit very hard. All Western European countries.

Is this because there was little restriction on travel, Is it that we are being hit with a particular strain, did these countries not go into lockdown soon enough or what did they do wrong?

Nermal wrote: »
    As normal? No. But if you think the streets, bars and restaurants would be deserted, you’re flat wrong. Otherwise - why would we need a lockdown at all?

You think they'd remain busy in a scenario where the virus is running rampant and the death rate is soaring? It's impossible, not least because tourism has ground to a halt across the world and tourists make up a major part of the customer base for those businesses.

Also, there's more to the economy than bars and restaurants. What about businesses that need access to supplies from outside Ireland?

An open economy like ours cannot fix itself by lifting the lockdown. As long as our major trading partners are in lockdown, we're impacted. It's naive to believe otherwise.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    It's well documented at this point that the health service in many regions of Italy, particularly in the north, was stretched far beyond capacity due to the sheer numbers of very ill patients with covid-19. It doesn't take a genius to work out that once that happens, people who may have otherwise been saved will die. Don't take my word for it, listen to the accounts of Italian doctors working on the front line.

by your reasoning then we should be closer to Germany as we are not overwhelmed in Ireland like in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

owlbethere wrote: »
    What is being hinted at?
    An unsurprising and full-expected extension for another 2-3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

no thankyou to that app. trying to find a link to another one proposed elswhere that protects your privacy. If anyone remembers the newpaper article would you post please and thankyou.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    You think they'd remain busy in a scenario where the virus is running rampant and the death rate is soaring? It's impossible, not least because tourism has ground to a halt across the world and tourists make up a major part of the customer base for those businesses.

Also, there's more to the economy than bars and restaurants. What about businesses that need access to supplies from outside Ireland?

An open economy like ours cannot fix itself by lifting the lockdown. As long as our major trading partners are in lockdown, we're impacted. It's naive to believe otherwise.
    There are some industries which will take a very long time to both open and recover. Most of the rest could return to a controlled normality inside 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Worrying story from Korean CDC. Wouldn't dismiss outright considering their track record of being ahead ahead of this. Would literally make lockdown pointless and even trying to find a vaccine pointless.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-09/coronavirus-may-reactivate-in-cured-patients-korean-cdc-says

Yes, I've seen it, but I think it's more likely to be an false positives or else a low rate of chronic infection.

The media seems to be dying to announce that immunity to SARS-CoV-2 somehow fails or is subverted or that it's suddenly become a retrovirus since last week.

It's worth them doing the research, to find out more and assess the risk, but the research is not due the coverage it's currently getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

owlbethere wrote: »
    What is being hinted at?

They can hint and whats ap away.
    Until they come out and say it it’s all hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,735 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

blackcard wrote: »
    I don't know what is happening in Belgium, they had a spike a few days ago, don't know what is the reason behind this latest spike but they are catching up fast on Spain and Italy.
    Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland UK, Ireland and to a lesser extent Portugal, Denmark and Germany have been hit very hard.

Is this because there was little restriction on travel, Is it that we are being hit with a particular strain, did these countries not go into lockdown soon enough or what did they do wrong?

Impossible to say. They seem to have had restrictions along with everyone else. Impacts seem a little random across the continent.

In terms of Italy, who have come down from their peak fatality/new case numbers, they are kind of waddling along as they are at the moment neither deteriorating nor improving in the last 4 or 5 days.

ITALYTHURSDAY_0.png?itok=2d-K4DD6

• Advertisement

Yes, I've seen it, but I think it's more likely to be an false positives or else a low rate of chronic infection.

The media seems to be dying to announce that immunity to SARS-CoV-2 somehow fails or is subverted or that it's suddenly become a retrovirus since last week.

It's worth them doing the research, to find out more and assess the risk, but the research is not due the coverage it's currently getting.
    That came out of China too but there they suggested people had not fully recovered and that they needed to manage the release of patients to avoid that.

Ireland getting hit hard by Covid one of the highest death rates even above America

I firmly believe this Is down to the very poor state of our nursing homes
    I worked in some before building work but all the same I found the general cleanness of the homes was very poor.

I think when this is over we will have to review how as a society we treat the elderly

I firmly believe its down to that fact that we are reporting every death, while some countries are only reporting hospital deaths.
    Also, compare us to Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Italy, Spain....they must all have truly terrible health systems

Hi All

Does anyone know if Dumps are open?
    most local authority websites list what they are doing locally. some closed some open with restrictions. some that were closed now opening after re jigging for social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any idea what time we are getting a speech from Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

The Square Tallaght is packed out with shoppers . At least an hr queuing to get into Dunnes. I not from this area I know it’s densely populated but my God it’s like Christmas going into shops . Am out for a medical appointment before anyone asks . I know people have to shop and it’s allowed but it’s crazy here

Any idea what time we are getting a speech from Leo?
    More likely to be Harris I'd say, after the NEPHT meeting this morning, so later today anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

is_that_so wrote: »
    More likely to be Harris I'd say, after the NEPHT meeting this morning, so later today anyway.

Thanks! Do you think it will be the general daily briefing or something more formal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Shelly66 wrote: »
    The Square Tallaght is packed out with shoppers . At least an hr queuing to get into Dunnes. I not from this area I know it’s densely populated but my God it’s like Christmas going into shops . Am out for a medical appointment before anyone asks . I know people have to shop and it’s allowed but it’s crazy here

Been said before,its simply down to the number of people that are limited into the supermarket. Although theres queues you'll find only a limited number inside, people out to do their normal shop but have to wait. 1 in 1 out in most supermarkets.

People will always be in the supermarkets before easter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Well, I guess that will be among the answers when people ask the question in 2 weeks "How the hell do we have such case numbers still when we have been on "lockdown" for a month" .....

It's still Easter and Good Friday in supermarkets has always been mental. Used to be because of the shorter hours and nothing else open.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think you may be right on all accounts.

If this is going to go on for 12—18 months , if an app is needed to help defeat it then it will happen. I was thinking about contact tracing and an app is far easier then asking everybody to keep a diary of where they were and who they met over the previous weeks.

People can’t have their cake and eat it, until this passes unless a better way is found some of our democratic rights may need to be suspended like they are currently. If it’s an app on our phones that we can delete when this is over then so be it.
    I dont know,been keeping my own contact list since feb including shop receiptsfor prevoius 2 weeks. oldest get scrapped at end of week.
    a couple of minutes a day. But you might not be able to trust everyone with that for various reasons.
    ps I double bag receipts and quareenteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

They do medical appointments in the square in tallaght now?

Thanks! Do you think it will be the general daily briefing or something more formal?
    Think it'll be more like a Harris/government thing. Maybe Leo will be there.

Gynoid wrote: »
    Well, I guess that will be among the answers when people ask the question in 2 weeks "How the hell do we have such case numbers still when we have been on "lockdown" for a month" .....

That’s what I was thinking . Restricting ppl travelling but yet large numbers at shopping centers .

glasso wrote: »
    by your reasoning then we should be closer to Germany as we are not overwhelmed in Ireland like in Italy.

Not sure what you mean here?

I'm specifically talking about the impact of a country's health service becoming overwhelmed, which is precisely what will happen if you remove restrictions and let the virus run through the population.

A comparison of Ireland and Germany is a separate point. We appear to be doing worse than them in terms of the death rate, and this is likely due to the high number of clusters in nursing homes. If anything that strengthens my initial point, we have to be vigilant to flatten the curve and avoid overwhelming the health service.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's still Easter and Good Friday in supermarkets has always been mental. Used to be because of the shorter hours and nothing else open.

Surely ppl can plan ahead to avoid this madness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'd imagine immunity certificates would actually cause some trouble. Imagine you are a healthy, 30 something with family and mortgage. Government supports have been paired back, because we can only afford them for so long, you are now on statutory sick pay. Your colleague who headed of to Cheltenham, came back and worked as normal until the lockdown, went to beaches etc. and ended up with a mild version would with a cert be allowed back to work and is essentially free to move around. You on the other hand complied with all the social distancing guidelines, remained home, and never caught the virus. You would still be expected to remain at home, be unable to work and possibly struggling to keep up mortgage payments. And to top it all off, you are not even allowed out to catch the virus and become eligible for a certificate. How do you think that might play out in the long term?

I agree. If people have more rights due to immunity, it will lead to envy and people being tempted to deliberately get infected. But it's what a number of countries are working towards achieving once mass antibody testing is reliable. I suspect that if people with immunity are given more responsibilities rather than rights, that might help counter that. Mobilise people with immunity to work in areas where a cohort with immunity would make the most difference, ie acting as a shield for the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Been said before,its simply down to the number of people that are limited into the supermarket. Although theres queues you'll find only a limited number inside, people out to do their normal shop but have to wait. 1 in 1 out in most supermarkets.

People will always be in the supermarkets before easter

One in and one out!! Must be Killiney or a fancy schmancy part of Dublin... Our Local supermarkets have gone full mad max

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRdZkQaHgMCwUcTO_uamhVDKkFVmCkg1iBOiFGxloCmRExtpDTR&usqp=CAU

niallo27 wrote: »
    They do medical appointments in the square in tallaght now?

It's quite possible. My GP is located in a large shopping centre, as is the pharmacy where I collect my prescriptions.

• Advertisement

Surely ppl can plan ahead to avoid this madness
    That means potential panic buying and some stuff can't be bought in advance. If the controls are there inside shops and I believe they are there is no major issue. It's just Easter footfall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement