Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,618 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Shelly66 wrote: »
    Surely ppl can plan ahead to avoid this madness

Without seeing it, it's hard to compare, but the Dunnes near me always has a large queue these days but there are lines 2m apart to space them out and only 50 in the shop at any one time.

The footfall in a large dunnes will always be high and with the restrictions in place there will always be a queue regardless of when you plan for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

niallo27 wrote: »
    They do medical appointments in the square in tallaght now?

Affidea not actually in the square. Behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

is_that_so wrote: »
    That means potential panic buying and some stuff can't be bought in advance. If the controls are there inside shops and I believe they are there is no issue.

I haven’t been to a supermarket in nearly a month. If you plan your shopping well you can selectively get in and out as you want. Stock up on staples and use local butchers and smaller stores (gorilla shopping when quiet) to keep you topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

old_aussie wrote: »

Q: Polio is a disease you read about in history books. Does it still exist? Is it curable?

A: Polio does still exist, although polio cases have decreased by over 99% since 1988, from an estimated more than 350 000 cases to 22 reported cases in 2017. This reduction is the result of the global effort to eradicate the disease. Today, only 3 countries in the world have never stopped transmission of polio (Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria).

Despite the progress achieved since 1988, as long as a single child remains infected with poliovirus, children in all countries are at risk of contracting the disease. The poliovirus can easily be imported into a polio-free country and can spread rapidly amongst unimmunized populations. Failure to eradicate polio could result in as many as 200 000 new cases every year, within 10 years, all over the world.

Such a shame... we were down to 22 reported cases of polio worldwide in 2017 !

The main reason that polio still exists in those 3 countries is because Islamists are targeting the World Health Organization people administrating the vaccination campaign.

This is because the CIA used a sham hepatitis B vaccination project to collect DNA in the neighborhood where Osama bin Laden was hiding in Abbottabad, Pakistan
    The distrust sowed by the sham campaign in Pakistan could conceivably postpone polio eradication for 20 years, leading to 100,000 more cases that might otherwise not have occurred, says Leslie F. Roberts of Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health. “Forevermore, people would say this disease, this crippled child is because the U.S. was so crazy to get Osama bin Laden,” he argues.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-cia-fake-vaccination-campaign-endangers-us-all/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

keynes wrote: »
    The relevant comparisons for Ireland are New Zealand and Australia (islands, relatively low pop density, small populations, borders that can be easily closed). In comparison with these, we're doing appallingly. The Irish response has been a shambles

New Zealand is 2,500 kms from Australia. You don't just rock up in rowing boat.
    There is one city of note in the South Island.
    76% of the population resides on the North Island.

Dublin is 100km from Holyhead.
    Rosslare is 450km from Brest.

We have a 500km border with another jurisdiction.

The relevant comparison for Ireland is not NZ.

• Advertisement

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean here?

I'm specifically talking about the impact of a country's health service becoming overwhelmed, which is precisely what will happen if you remove restrictions and let the virus run through the population.

A comparison of Ireland and Germany is a separate point. We appear to be doing worse than them in terms of the death rate, and this is likely due to the high number of clusters in nursing homes. If anything that strengthens my initial point, we have to be vigilant to flatten the curve and avoid overwhelming the health service.

the study in Germany is a known infection fatality rate for a population.

there is no such comparable number in Italy for any population.

talking about their health service being overwhelmed in Italy does not provide any quantifiable information

the fact is that if the infection fatality rate and infection hospitalisation rate is a fraction of what was assumed then this will definitely influence the subsequent stages of measures in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Drumpot wrote: »
    I haven’t been to a supermarket in nearly a month. If you plan your shopping well you can selectively get in and out as you want. Stock up on staples and use local butchers and smaller stores (gorilla shopping when quiet) to keep you topped up.
    I think it depends how many you are buying for and what you generally eat. With a smaller household it is a lot easier to stock but a real challenge for larger numbers. Smaller shops can also really add to overall costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Acosta

They can hint and whats ap away.
    Until they come out and say it it’s all hearsay.

Leo did say to trust the national media.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,735 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The nearest store to me that sells gorillas is next to the supermarket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

gorilla shopping when quiet)

Like this?

hqdefault.jpg

The nearest store to me that sells gorillas is next to the supermarket!
    That's gorillas with a "u"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Also we get millions more visitors/tourists every year. Comparing us to New Zealand just because we have a similar population size is rediculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Acosta wrote: »
    Leo did say to trust the national media.

Obviously you should listen to what Leo says, but don't use his words as a replacement for your critical faculties.

Like this?

hqdefault.jpg

Full PPE

I would agree to a degree.

But I’ve never understood the stance from WHO that was suggesting that flights in/out make a negligible difference to transmission. It just doesn’t stand up to logical scrutiny. That, coupled with their stance on masks seem more like statements made as they were put under political pressure for different reasons to promote these ideas.

I think flights have been a huge problem and the protection of the airline/tourist industry , along with worrying about foreign relations with other countries, were prioritized over common sense reactions that would of most definitely slowed down the spread.

I can forgive mistakes and poor decisions once they are rectified, but I don’t see everybody change their tune quickly on either of these issues. And with that comes a trust issue which could be very damaging, particularly when you get muppets who can’t even follow the current instructions pointing out that they were lieing all along!!

Like this?

hqdefault.jpg

I knew somebody was taking pictures of me.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

I’ve taken to unfollowing any “bloggers/influencers” on Instagram who are having people over , one them had a photographer come to her house this morning because you know getting your photos done is essential in this pandemic. Pathetic.

I think we should all follow suit and unfollow those sorts. Bad enough they’re doing it and even worse that they’re broadcasting it when they’ve given themselves the title of “influencer” .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

iguana wrote: »
    Not full herd immunity no. But allowing a degree of spread during this wave, say 20-30%, means that a second, winter wave would be less deadly. We might also have decent antibody testing in the next few months. A number of countries have plans to issue immunity certificates allowing those immune people to work. Imagine if by late autumn nursing home and care home staff and home care assistants were all people with immunity. The majority of our fatalities right now seem to be from nursing homes. Just think of the enormous difference it would make if it wasn't possible for someone working in a nursing home to infect the residents. Imagine how much easier and safer it would be for frontline workers to find childcare if childcare workers with immunity were organised, etc.

We lost whatever chance we had of containing Covid 19 in February. A number of decisions were made early on that made that blatantly impossible. I suspect that the decision was made to allow a degree of slow spread in the spring/summer so that we wouldn't be completely overwhelmed in the winter. The DoH just had a bit more nous than the British government and didn't come out and say that's what they were doing while also planning for a slower spread.
    Just one caveat. Even those who are immune can still carry the virus on their skin including hands, glasses, their shoes, their clothes and anything they bring to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,735 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've family in NZ and my parents in law just returned. Been checking in with the NZ clan via Skype / whats app over the past few weeks.
    Their observations:
    Borders have been closed to non-citizens for weeks
    People policed into supermarkets (one at a time). You must have a list and browsing / dilly dallying not tolerated
    People are essentially on house arrest. Given 2 days to prepare. Everywhere is shut.
    Social distancing going on there for weeks now. It's policed as well.
    They've been quarantining arrivals for about 4 weeks - mandatory now since yesterday (State controlled facility)

Their cases are very low and they're close to eliminating the virus. 2 deaths to date and just over 1000 cases.

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-current-cases

That's gorillas with a "u"!

What's a 'gurilla'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I’ve taken to unfollowing any “bloggers/influencers” on Instagram who are having people over , one them had a photographer come to her house this morning because you know getting your photos done is essential in this pandemic. Pathetic.

I think we should all follow suit and unfollow those sorts. Bad enough they’re doing it and even worse that they’re broadcasting it when they’ve given themselves the title of “influencer” .

So you want us to follow you and unfollow them?

Gotcha.

Luckily/unluckily for me this thread is the only thing I follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Anyone out there online or tv, giving a good analysis of the world meter figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

So you want us to follow you and unfollow them?

Gotcha.

Luckily/unluckily for me this thread is the only thing I follow.

I’m taking no prisoners !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Corkgirl20 wrote: »

Who? I’m pretty shocked by that.

I think it depends how many you are buying for and what you generally eat. With a smaller household it is a lot easier to stock but a real challenge for larger numbers. Smaller shops can also really add to overall costs.

Theres 5 in my house. I had been buying extra each shop since the start of February. The whole idea was so I could avoid the panic when the penny finally dropped to the rest of the nation and I wouldn’t need to be part of the panic.

It’s true that it’s more expensive to shop in a local store but again I get some bits to top up and I see this as life or death so a few extra euros is a small Price to pay to reduce risk when possible. But that aside I do a risk assessment anytime I leave my house. Quite often I work out that I don’t need to make the trip and remain at home. It’s mad how often we goto shops and make trips that are more out of habit then necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

speckle wrote: »
    Just one caveat. Even those who are immune can still carry the virus on their skin including hands, their shoes, their clothes and anything they bring to work.

Of course they can. But it's easier to wash and change on arrival and then be clear for an 8-12 hour shift than it is to wash and change on arrival and still be unknowingly breathing it out.

• Advertisement

What's a 'gurilla'?
    Not a gorilla! It's a line from The Commitments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement