Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,578 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I’ve taken to unfollowing any “bloggers/influencers” on Instagram who are having people over , one them had a photographer come to her house this morning because you know getting your photos done is essential in this pandemic. Pathetic.

I think we should all follow suit and unfollow those sorts. Bad enough they’re doing it and even worse that they’re broadcasting it when they’ve given themselves the title of “influencer” .

If you (not you personally, the collective you) can be "influenced" by some gobshìte on insta then you definitely need to get new and better hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ettravel

sky news report on Italy heart breaking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

KiKi III wrote: »
    Who? I’m pretty shocked by that.

A west Cork TV presenter now living in Dublin, it’s still on her story now.

If you (not you personally, the collective you) can be "influenced" by some gobshìte on insta then you definitely need to get new and better hobbies.

I knew that “ influencer” personally and still unfollowed her , don’t have time for that.
    A lot of younger people will be influenced by this stuff unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

I'm not a U2 fan but I've seen people slagging them off about being tax exiles. At least they have stepped up. We haven't heard anything from our other exiles such as O Brien , Mcmanus, Desmond , Smurfit et al who have done very well out of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

If the pubs and nightclubs were opened this minute they would be packed to the rafters and not a single fcuk would be given for social distancing unless it was brought up as a joke.lets not be kidding ourselves.
    The second coppers or the likes open there will be people packed into them and it will be the same as it ever was.
    Casualty will be back to babysitting gombeens that can’t hold their Porter or who fancy themselves as a bit of a mikeen Tyson after a few sherries.
    An hour and things will be as they always were.

This is correct which is why we need to keep the present very reasonable restrictions going and introduce more if needed. We just can't trust people to act like adults and be responsible im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Reminds me of John Oliver showing that muppet anchor of OAN news actually put up a film of him disobeying lockdown measure to go out and get his hair cut. Absolute selfish morons, that’s the nicest thing you can say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

KiKi III wrote: »
    Who? I’m pretty shocked by that.

Really. They are all full of complete sh!t. Self absorbed tossers.. carrying on as normal is exactly what I would expect from most of them.

Their livelihoods depend on it.

I truly hope that this pandemic has as one of its few positive side effects is that people wake up to themselves and start living their own lives rather than being a useful gullible fool helping to line someone else's pocket.

Followers of 'influencers' are dopes. And they need waking up to themselves.

I’ve taken to unfollowing any “bloggers/influencers” on Instagram who are having people over , one them had a photographer come to her house this morning because you know getting your photos done is essential in this pandemic. Pathetic.

I think we should all follow suit and unfollow those sorts. Bad enough they’re doing it and even worse that they’re broadcasting it when they’ve given themselves the title of “influencer” .

Name and shame. These people are complete scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Anyone out there online or tv, giving a good analysis of the world meter figures?

The number of active infected people is going up every day by the thousand(s)

The number of serious / critical cases are increasing by the day (steadily).

Possibly Italy, Spain & Germany are over the worst of it.??

France still not showing any signs of slowing down

The UK & USA are like watching a train wreck about to happen...

Ireland - Not enough credit given to Government, nor indeed the vast majority of citizens abiding by the restrictions imposed... Not sure where we are at the moment, another few day will clarify our position hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

tigger123 wrote: »
    Irish Times is saying at least another 2 weeks.

It’s gotta be longer. I wish they’d stop talking to us like we’re toddlers. Just a little longer. We know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Reply to her how, when the pandemic is over and the death toll is counted, you will make sure to share that the gob****e didn't follow guidelines etc . And how this gonna look bad for her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I'm not long after reading a post from Facebook saying something like:

I'm so mad at people...going away on holidays.... Seeing cars built up on the N11...

Something like that.

Why automatically jump to the conclusion that the build up of cars is all down to drivers going away on holidays to their holiday homes. There's still a lot allowed to go on in the country like people allowed to go to work like factories, shops, essential services, banking, vets, Animal foods, people are allowed to travel outside of 2km to do an essential/food/grocery shop.

Do some people want everyone holding down a job to give it up? Do they want everyone and their families to starve at home? Or maybe let people walk for miles and miles to get to their jobs and to buy some groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

cj maxx wrote: »
    Reply to her how, when the pandemic is over and the death toll is counted, you will make sure to share that the gob****e didn't follow guidelines etc . And how this gonna look bad for her :)

Name & Shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It’s gotta be longer. I wish they’d stop talking to us like we’re toddlers. Just a little longer. We know.
    Some people don't process such information as brilliantly as you clearly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Less hopeful news from study:
    5m ago
    11:44
    The principle of “herd immunity”, at one stage touted by the UK government as a possible solution to the coronavirus outbreak, has taken an apparent blow after a study in Austria found less than 1% of the population is infected with coronavirus.

The first such study in continental Europe, led by pollster SORA which is known for projecting election results, aimed to provide a clearer picture of the total number of infections, given gaps in testing, Reuters reports.

“Based on this study, we believe that 0.33% of the population in Austria was acutely infected in early April,” SORA co-founder Christoph Hofinger told a news conference. Given the margin of error, the figure was 95% likely to be between 0.12% and 0.76%.

Sebastian Kurz, Austria’s chancellor, whose government commissioned the study and saw initial findings a few days ago, said on Monday that the rate of infection was around 1%. He said that disproved the idea of herd immunity - which requires widespread infection - as a viable policy option.

In March the UK government had suggested that herd immunity could provide the cornerstone to the nationwide response to the coronavirus outbreak, contrasting sharply with the detect, trace and quarantine approach taken by countries in Asia first affected and endorsed by the World Health Organization.

Officials soon abandoned the plan after modelling by scientists at University College, London, suggested it could lead to as many as 250,000 deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/10/coronavirus-live-news-global-deaths-near-95000-as-boris-johnson-leaves-intensive-care

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

There are toddlers amongst us that wouldn't be able to deal with anything longer than a couple of weeks at a go.

The rest of us can read between the lines.

cj maxx wrote: »

Wouldn’t give her the time of day. The photographer from Sunday Independent is as much to blame for calling out to her bloody family house. Two idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

iguana wrote: »
    I agree. If people have more rights due to immunity, it will lead to envy and people being tempted to deliberately get infected. But it's what a number of countries are working towards achieving once mass antibody testing is reliable. I suspect that if people with immunity are given more responsibilities rather than rights, that might help counter that. Mobilise people with immunity to work in areas where a cohort with immunity would make the most difference, ie acting as a shield for the vulnerable.

A practical solution. Great thoughts. well done.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    the study in Germany is a known infection fatality rate for a population.

there is no such comparable number in Italy for any population.

talking about their health service being overwhelmed in Italy does not provide any quantifiable information

the fact is that if the infection fatality rate and infection hospitalisation rate is a fraction of what was assumed then this will definitely influence the subsequent stages of measures in Ireland

What exactly are you arguing here? That the low fatality rate in one German town can be applied to the entire world, and it somehow proves our death rates will be low? Italy and Spain might have something to say about that. Or are you suggesting that a high death rate means the virus is so widespread that we can achieve herd immunity? If it's the latter, we still don't know enough about immunity in relation to this virus, so it's just a theory at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

BanditLuke wrote: »
    This is correct which is why we need to keep the present very reasonable restrictions going and introduce more if needed. We just can't trust people to act like adults and be responsible im afraid.

I'm afraid thats right and I imagine it is the reason strict conditions were not introduced at the start. If they had been, some cases would still have got through. Then, after a few weeks of lockdown, we would have seen significant disregarding of the rules. That would have resulted in the virus then spreading and it would have been impossible to reimpose strict conditions.

Thats my reading of the rationale anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

From the Irish Times blog quoting Today with Sean O'Rourke:

'Prof [Kingston] Mills said that the universities were looking at developing antibody testing kits which would allow infected patients be tested and once they have developed sufficient antibodies they could be allowed back to work.'

If I understand correctly, the types of test include:

1. The lab-based PCR tests we are currently doing
    2. Rapid PCR tests such as Abbott's (US using)
    3. Lab-based ELISA antibody tests (which he was probably referring to)
    4. Finger-prick 'at home' antibody tests

(Their accuracy varies)

Unfortunately that's the way it must be done as a lot don't have the mental capacity or maturity to follow instruction and do the right thing.

You seen it after one bloody week of this thing the same people putting stuff up like "let's do it for Ireland" and "health care heros" on their timelines all of a sudden now complaining about having to sit home spending time with family, watching TV and sitting in the sun. It's not even a proper lockdown ffs

If they are broadcasting it on instagram, the story is already out there, therefore no need to withhold the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Juwwi wrote: »
    I assume that people arriving in on a ferry are subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us i.e. no unnecessary movements.

So unless these are Irish residents returning home from abroad, they should be sent back on the next ferry home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Juwwi wrote: »

If the ferry companies actually gave a **** they would just ban cars. Job done.
    They are too greedy so instead should be legislated from. The port itself could refuse disembarkation from anyone they deem a health risk. I believe they've always had these powers.
    Government could of course done something but it's nice to be nice and best not offend anyone with a roof box.

iguana wrote: »
    I agree. If people have more rights due to immunity, it will lead to envy and people being tempted to deliberately get infected. But it's what a number of countries are working towards achieving once mass antibody testing is reliable. I suspect that if people with immunity are given more responsibilities rather than rights, that might help counter that. Mobilise people with immunity to work in areas where a cohort with immunity would make the most difference, ie acting as a shield for the vulnerable.

Yeah that's a great post. Hadn't even thought of that scenario.

If they are broadcasting it on instagram, the story is already out there, therefore no need to withhold the name.

Fair point, I just don’t like giving these people extra attention.

Triona Mccarthy.
    Instagram name is : Triona.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement