Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Phoebas wrote: »
    I assume that people arriving in on a ferry are subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us i.e. no unnecessary movements.

So unless these are Irish residents returning home from abroad, they should be sent back on the next ferry home.

Why would Irish residents returning home be driving British registered cars...???

Flying Fox wrote: »
    What exactly are you arguing here? That the low fatality rate in one German town can be applied to the entire world, and it somehow proves our death rates will be low? Italy and Spain might have something to say about that. Or are you suggesting that a high death rate means the virus is so widespread that we can achieve herd immunity? If it's the latter, we still don't know enough about immunity in relation to this virus, so it's just a theory at this point.

it's a data point.

it shows the the infection fatality rate (yes for that known demographic) is .4%

where else is there an infection fatality rate for a population documented?

it was previously assumed to be somewhere between 1% and 3% then that is a hugely significant data point. this means that hospitalisation rates are also much lower. as the focus of all measures employed here in Ireland are related to hospitalisation rates this is hugely significant to how measures here should be continued or moved to stage II

it cannot be necessarily applied to the whole world without further such data points which I'm sure will come out of Germany but you are just waffling with questions or "overwhelmed health service" - no data.

what have Italy and Spain to say about it - show me any data point that says anything about it

Inquitus wrote: »

A couple of problems I can spot straight away with that study - 0.15% of the population of Austria have already tested positive. Yet the 95% confidence interval goes to 0.12%. Must have been a tiny sample size in the to give such a wide range, and one that fall outside the current actual detection rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Inquitus wrote: »

What does this mean?
    They have 8 million pop. 250 dead. And less than 1% infection. About 0.33% acutely infected now it says. 80,000 approx is 1% of population. (Their recorded cases are about 12000).
    At 250 out of 80000 it would be 0. 3% mortality rate. At 250 out of one third of that (0.33%) it would be 1% death rate. Maybe the margin of error on the poll is too large to allow interpretation?

Okay enough mental maths for me. I don't know what this poll means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

flanna01 wrote: »
    Why would Irish residents returning home be driving British registered cars...???

The piece only says that 'quite a few' are on UK registered cars; the rest are not.
    tbh, where they register their car isn't important - whether or not they are taking a necessary trip is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Government update just started on RTE News Now. EDIT: Seems to be just DoF and Paschal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Phoebas wrote: »
    The piece only says that 'quite a few' are on UK registered cars; the rest are not.
    tbh, where they register their car isn't important - whether or not they are taking a necessary trip is.

Possible importing of cheap uk secondhand cars

Possible importing of cheap coronavirus

Its complete rubbish. Stena and Irish ferries have both said hand full of cars on ships 99% trucks. Sensationalist crap
    https://twitter.com/fergalrte/status/1248235621094735872?s=19

Yes. '..... quiet a few UK reg cars were observed...'
    Quite a few? What the feck kind of journalism is this?
    I have suspicions about this mass exodus of Dublin residents to their second home in the sticks as well. Is there any real evidence of it, even one concrete example, or is it just more hysterical social media hype?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

glasso wrote: »
    it's a data point.

it shows the the infection fatality rate (yes for that known demographic) is .4%

it was previously assumed to be somewhere between 1% and 3% then that is a hugely significant data point. this means that hospitalisation rates are also much lower. as the focus of all measures employed here in Ireland are related to hospitalisation rates this is hugely significant to how measures here should be continued or moved to stage II

it cannot be necessarily applied to the whole world without further such data points which I'm sure will come out of Germany but you are just waffling with questions or "overwhelmed health service" - no data.

what have Italy and Spain to say about it - show me any data point that says anything about it

Have you emerged from a coma recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

China and US relations will be at all time lows after this pandemic, expect bad things

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Possible importing of cheap uk secondhand cars

Possible importing of cheap coronavirus
    Possible sensationalist story by irresponsible media putting clicks in front of truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

It's all over Facebook that there is a Taoiseach address at 4pm..?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yes. '..... quiet a few UK reg cars were observed...'
    Quite a few? What the feck kind of journalism is this?
    I have suspicions about this mass exodus of Dublin residents to their second home in the sticks as well. Is there any real evidence of it, even one concrete example, or is it just more hysterical social media hype?

Everyone keeps using the n11 to wicklow as an example of people fleeing dublin for the weekend and the pictures of traffic jams. Traffic jams because theres a garda checkpoint at bray putting essentially 3 lanes into 1. People can view the stats on road usage on the TII website. The roads currently have a fifth if even of normal volume on them. They're also at the same level of last week which suggests it is only essential workers travelling.

It's pure sensationalism on some media outlets part.

Maybe they lost their Job in the UK and are moving home. Either way anyone is driving a car who is not an permanent resident, don't have an essential service to provide, or are not an Irish citizen returning home permanently should be turned around

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Is there any official source? F**k Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Mr.S wrote: »
    Because it's not true.

The day anyone uses Extra as a credible source is a dark day.

Thank god for that. Seemed insane

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Deaths way down in Spain this morning. Belgium actually reported more than Spain today, almost 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

wakka12 wrote: »
    Deaths way down in Spain this morning. Belgium actually reported more than Spain today, almost 500.

500 deaths in Belgium?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

gabeeg wrote: »
    Have you emerged from a coma recently?

28_days_later5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭blade1

500 deaths in Belgium?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

A couple of problems I can spot straight away with that study - 0.15% of the population of Austria have already tested positive. Yet the 95% confidence interval goes to 0.12%. Must have been a tiny sample size in the to give such a wide range, and one that fall outside the current actual detection rate.

The "study" is described as a poll (presumably some form of opinion poll asking about Covid symptoms). It is not a medical study.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is there any official source? F**k Facebook
    There will be one expected to announce an extension anyway, so probably true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

it's a data point.

I'm sure once SARS-CoV-2 knows that the mortality and hospitalization rates were off, it'll reduce hospitalization and death counts. We just need to explain it clearly enough for the virus to understand.

You seem to have a good grasp of the topic, you might draft something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

wakka12 wrote: »

Good news for Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Its complete rubbish. Stena and Irish ferries have both said hand full of cars on ships 99% trucks. Sensationalist crap
    https://twitter.com/fergalrte/status/1248235621094735872?s=19

There’s nothing going on and no real news because we are in lockdown borderline martial law. The social media hordes are at a loose end so they need a new target for their outrage. Was some people going to their holiday homes yesterday, now it’s the ferries. Surprised there aren’t photographs of the few arrivals at the Airport to round it off.
    A few Einsteins want to stop the ferries completely. For a country like Ireland the equivalent of sawing our limbs off. The same kind of empty vessels you’ll get panic buying bog roll 6 weeks ago and queueing for McDonald’s as it closed up.

What are you on about? There is a huge volume of evidence from Italy and Spain on their hospitalisation rates via a vis their health service capacity, and the impact that has had on death rates.

Data doesn't just exist for the sake of it, it's there to allow us quantitavely examine a situation and provide information for policy decision makers. You're still not explaining why you believe this one German study is so important in informing the Irish response?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lots of people live and commute between both islands as we are so close and intermingled. All kinds of familial circumstances that are frankly no one’s business but their own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement