Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’ll tell ye who’s another unsung hero who got no mention in any of this is the truckers.
    Men and women working flat out to keep shelves full and deliveries rolling inspite of all the selfish,self entitled gombeens who are in the shops stripping them same shelves.
    Fair play to the truckers.with the tacho restriction lifted they are working around the clock and we would have nothing without them.
    And when it’s all over they will be back racing the clock and trying to obey the tachos while being harassed and fined.
    Cheers and thanks to the truckers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

BanditLuke wrote: »
    This is correct which is why we need to keep the present very reasonable restrictions going and introduce more if needed. We just can't trust people to act like adults and be responsible im afraid.

But, of course, we can trust you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ll tell ye who’s another unsung hero who got no mention in any of this is the truckers.
    Men and women working flat out to keep shelves full and deliveries rolling inspite of all the selfish,self entitled gombeens who are in the shops stripping them same shelves.
    Fair play to the truckers.with the tacho restriction lifted they are working around the clock and we would have nothing without them.
    And when it’s all over they will be back racing the clock and trying to obey the tachos while being harassed and fined.

I agree. One profession like agriculture that’s been almost regulated out if existence too. I hope there’s a new found appreciation and resetting of the never ending Regs forced upon certain industries from here

Flying Fox wrote: »
    What are you on about? There is a huge volume of evidence from Italy and Spain on their hospitalisation rates via a vis their health service capacity, and the impact that has had on death rates.

Data doesn't just exist for the sake of it, it's there to allow us quantitavely examine a situation and provide information for policy decision makers. You're still not explaining why you believe this one German study is so important in informing the Irish response?

what data is relevant to what is being discussed here- link.. to anything relevant or is this huge volume just in your head? Italy and Spain don't have a clue what the hospitalisation rate is because they don't know the % of their population infected.

what is hugely relevant here (German results) is that much less of the infected people than previously thought will be hospitalised and die.

https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preliminary-german-study-shows-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/
    One often-heard statistic is the "case fatality rate"—that is, the percentage of people diagnosed with a disease who will die of it. This afternoon that figure stands at 3.5 percent for COVID-19 in the U.S., but this rate is significantly inflated because it does not count asymptomatic cases or undiagnosed people who recover at home. What we really need to know is the infection fatality rate: the percentage of all the people infected who eventually die of the disease. That's what the German study attempts to do.

Over the last two weeks, German virologists tested nearly 80 percent of the population of Gangelt (population 11,000) for antibodies that indicate whether they'd been infected by the coronavirus. Around 15 percent had been infected, allowing them to calculate a COVID-19 infection fatality rate of about 0.37 percent. The researchers also concluded that people who recover from the infection are immune to reinfection, at least for a while.

For comparison, the U.S. infection fatality rates for the 1957–58 flu epidemic was around 0.27 percent; for the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic, it was about 2.6 percent. For seasonal flu, the rate typically averages around 0.1 percent. Basically, the German researchers found that the coronavirus kills about four times as many infected people than seasonal flu viruses do.

The German researchers caution that it would be wrong to extrapolate these regional results to the whole country. But they also believe these findings show that lockdowns can begin to be lifted, as long as people maintain high levels of hygiene to keep COVID-19 under control.

if German researchers believe this, I'd tend to believe them over your ramblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

When will we know what time an announcement is coming today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

cheers!!!!! just one thing tacho restrictions arent lifted most still apply with the exception of you can work 6 days two weeks in a row except for 1 5 day and 1 6 day

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

well said,

I work in food production, we are flat out trying to ensure we keep same amount of product out the door, recruiting more staff to fill any gaps with people having to take time off as precautions and also childcare etc.

We are still having to induct people and have training complete under very difficult circumstances but are taking every precaution.

Add to that what you have said above, we have our own haulage side of the business with drivers having to still deliver in difficult circumstances and they all have issues with childcare etc also we have to overcome.

We are dedicated to making sure we will not see any shortfall in product leaving our factories of over 800 staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

road_high wrote: »
    Lots of people live and commute between both islands as we are so close and intermingled. All kinds of familial circumstances that are frankly no one’s business but their own.

This is a pandemic. We are all staying ‘at home’ to beat it. If people don’t stay ‘at home’ spread will continue and we will be back to square one. Irish citizens resident in Uk ‘at home’ is the UK. They should not be travelling during this pandemic.

So people aren’t allowed go to their holiday home but families resident in UK are allowed pop over.

If someone is coming from an adjacent parish and has no need to be here I find it illogical that people travelling aren’t asked ‘Do you really need to cross the sea for a break’

If they are returning due to loss of work etc and genuinely moving back then they should be placed in quarantine. There is no precautions to deal with this movement of people and jeopardises all of the sacrifices people are making to beat this.

So to summarise it is our business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Follow an RTÉ reporter such as fergal bowers on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Thank you, I haven’t seen my husband in 4 days and won’t see him until tomorrow evening :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

extend the restrictions for another 2 weeks but the third week has to be the transition week (bar the bank holiday)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,988 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lads am I missing something or is "stay at home" a very simple concept to understand ? I mean it's not peace in our time lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

what announcment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Weird weird times.

I wish good tidings to all.

You are not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lads am I missing something or is "stay at home" a very simple concept to understand ? I mean it's not peace in our time lads.

No! Something police state. Stasi something something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

syngindub wrote: »
    what announcment?

That restrictions are staying in place

• Registered Users Posts: 39,988 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the social democrats are using covid-19 as a point to suggest the government haven't been fully transparent about the crisis. I honestly wouldn't have cared who was in government when this crisis hit I'd never accuse them of not being transparent. The social democrats have lost my vote after that crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lads am I missing something or is "stay at home" a very simple concept to understand ?
    You'd think Itso, but apparently not simple enough for some. Never underestimate the stupidity and selfishness of a sadly substantial enough percentage of the population. In our normal day to day lives we tend to filter the idiocy out. Better for our minds to do so. But in unusual circumstances like we're living through at the moment and with the heightened awareness that comes with it, it can be genuinely scary and baffling to see how many truly stupid people there are out there.

I still try to zone it out for my own peace of mind, and for if I didn't I fear I'd be bringing a weighted cudgel with me to the local supermarket to put such idiots out of our misery. :D If a virus ever comes along that targets the stupid and the selfish I'd be rushing for the option of "herd immunity" outa the gate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Whose home? My home? Is this just a house or a home? What makes a home. Home is where the heart is so I should follow my heart but that might involve leaving the house. It's complicated enough when you get into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yester wrote: »
    Whose home? My home? Is this just a house or a home? What makes a home. Home is where the heart is so I should follow my heart but that might involve leaving the house. It's complicated enough when you get into it.
    We don't need to discuss this like a bunch of philosophical Greek lads in an olive grove, and the mouthbreathers certainly aren't. It's pretty fcuking simple. Except for required shopping and exercise stay in fucking doors. End of. Full stop. Period, if you're a Yank.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Went to Lidl earlier, the amount of couples shopping together was unreal. Would like to see them implement a rule of one shopper at a time per trolley or whatever. The number in the shop would have been reduced by about a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No its not at all complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Wise words. Reminiscent of one of the greats.
    It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

You'd think so. Looking at the general behaviour of the population, there's a sizable minority who either don't care or genuinely are too stupid to understand these very simple instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah and what’s the difference between a house and a home? A home is where they put you when they want your house.

This brings up lots of ethical dilemmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

glasso wrote: »
    what data is relevant to what is being discussed here- link.. to anything relevant or is this huge volume just in your head? Italy and Spain don't have a clue what the hospitalisation rate is because they don't know the % of their population infected.

what is hugely relevant here (German results) is that much less of the infected people than previously thought will be hospitalised and die.

https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preliminary-german-study-shows-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/

if German researchers believe this, I'd tend to believe them over your ramblings.
    the Germans have been testing more than most and if caught early this disease wont lead to the need for a ventilator in many more cases than previously thought

Dundalk, Co. Louth

the Germans have been testing more than most and if caught early this disease wont lead to the need for a ventilator in many more cases than previously thought

antibody tests are for people that were previously infected (not tested as for health reasons)

but yes the whole point is to get an accurate picture of the true rates of infection, hospitalisation, icu and fatality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

2 more weeks minimum of current restrictions i reckon. Then we'll transition slowly if cases don't spike between then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Drumpot wrote: »
    I haven’t been to a supermarket in nearly a month. If you plan your shopping well you can selectively get in and out as you want. Stock up on staples and use local butchers and smaller stores (gorilla shopping when quiet) to keep you topped up.

100%. Our butcher delivers. A great butcher, He also keeps a good stock of vegetables too. A day or two from order to delivery only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement