Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Storm 10 wrote: »

You are right, the article is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

voluntary wrote: »
    The official death rate figures are rubbish. There's so many ill not being tested. And I'm not talking people queuing to be tested, I'm talking people told by GPs to stay home and take paracetamol and never offered to be tested. I know 2 families with COVID like symptoms who wanted to be tested but were told NO by their GPs as the body temperature was below 39 Celsius. We have many, many more infected than official figures, so the death rates are skewed.

Even WHO advices against looking at these numbers and death rates and comparing across countries. These numbers are simply uncomparable.
    Add to this that different countries count different deaths into statistics. Some countries report all infected who died, many countries only report these whose main reason of death was covid. With other underlying conditions many countries massively underreport covid deaths.

Let’s all agree that deaths per million is surely a figure we can agree that is comparable
    Using that figure we are not doing well in comparison to the majority of countries
    If we can’t use this stat then we can not trust any stats

And if that is the case then it’s time to open up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Family member with several underlying conditions has just tested positive, closer to home than I ever wanted it to get.
    So upsetting seeing people not staying the f**k at home, do lives mean nothing to them:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Family member with several underlying conditions has just tested positive, closer to home than I ever wanted it to get.
    So upsetting seeing people not staying the f**k at home, do lives mean nothing to them:(

Hopefully they will recover well. Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

How would governments make sure no one can protest the next time they bail out the banks and the corporations? ( coming soon).. set up a surveillance police state and remove people's right to protest, along with their right to travel within their own countries and their right to assemble. Use the excuse that the police state has to be set up for people's own good, use the media to scare people into accepting the loss of democracy, loss of their livelihood, and total loss of their rights. The Irish governments numbers are baloney, people who die in the end stage of terminal illness such as Cancer and COPD are being signed off as having died of covid19. The numbers are BS.

I'd recommend doubling up on the tinfoil for the next few weeks. Shiny side out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

There are only two British registered cars in that article

Genuine question - how on Earth can you tell the registration of all those cars whose number plates are not visible due to being hidden by the vehicle in front?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Drumpot wrote: »
    Need a better carrot and stick approach. Or just a massive stick to the ass of upper level management .... Frontline staff shouldn’t be carrying donkeys on their backs to stop them setting off landmines that damage others.

At the same time I wouldn't be turning down the donkey carrying allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I strolled in to the city centre for a walk this morning. Streets packed and people doing as they please. Not many wearing masks.

Went in again a half an hour ago and still the same. People just aren't getting the message. Just seemed like a normal Easter weekend.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,447 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How would governments make sure no one can protest the next time they bail out the banks and the corporations? ( coming soon).. set up a surveillance police state and remove people's right to protest, along with their right to travel within their own countries and their right to assemble. Use the excuse that the police state has to be set up for people's own good, use the media to scare people into accepting the loss of democracy, loss of their livelihood, and total loss of their rights. The Irish governments numbers are baloney, people who die in the end stage of terminal illness such as Cancer and COPD are being signed off as having died of covid19. The numbers are BS.
    Please keep such claims to the Conspiracy Theories forum

GBCyV0g.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I strolled in to the city centre for a walk this morning. Streets packed and people doing as they please. Not many wearing masks.

Went in again a half an hour ago and still the same. People just aren't getting the message. Just seemed like a normal Easter weekend.

And they were probably thinking the same about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

teacosy wrote: »
    Went to Lidl earlier, the amount of couples shopping together was unreal. Would like to see them implement a rule of one shopper at a time per trolley or whatever. The number in the shop would have been reduced by about a third.

Very good point

They may be in close proximity all week long either way but no sense in slowing down queues by taking up double the shopping space (ok, not quite double, but they would count as 2 if a doorman is counting)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

What are all those other animals doing in my field ???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In all seriousness, I’ve heard some terrible stories over the years about upper management In HSE, some reliable, some less reliable but believable, including during this crisis.

I’m trying to take a “get behind them approach” unless verifiable proof suggests otherwise. Do I believe everything they say ? No, I don’t, but I don’t see what choice we have right now.

It’s a shame that when people think of HSE, the hard working frontline staff (and genuinely good workers/managers within it) are tarnished with the same brush as those within the system who cause all sorts of problems, make terrible decisions at the expense of everybody and who bare no responsibility for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I was out for a game of five a side in the park yesterday evening and one of the lads on the other team was coughing and spluttering all over the place.
    Honestly, some people just don't get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

O'Connell Street & Temple Bar webcams make it seem very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

But there’s nothing open. It’s not like a normal Easter, that’s overdramatised hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Achasanai wrote: »
    O'Connell Street & Temple Bar webcams make it seem very quiet.

Because it is empty. Only places open are the supermarkets.

Like you said look at the o connell street cam, buses and garda cars.

Oh and for the original poster people dont have to wear masks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's not true. That website is clickbait ****e.

Yeah it seems to be a red herring. Vast majority of ferry traffic are trucks keeping our grocery stores stocked up.

https://twitter.com/fergalrte/status/1248275464336093185

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just reading on Cork Safety alerts that parts of Mallow hospital are closer to the public and have been for over a week. Must be an outbreak there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Irish people are generally too stupid to know when they are getting conned. All the Thick Paddy jokes aren't far wrong.

Trolling post....

See worldometer for virus spreading results. Ireland an example to many...
    Not bad work for stupid people.....
    If only we had a brain.... Like yourself..??

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DaveCliftonAP

I live opposite a park. Had a look out there and it's pretty empty. Some people walking but lots of social distancing. I'd say the vast majority of people are adhering to the restrictions.

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I’ve taken to unfollowing any “bloggers/influencers” on Instagram who are having people over , one them had a photographer come to her house this morning because you know getting your photos done is essential in this pandemic. Pathetic.

I think we should all follow suit and unfollow those sorts. Bad enough they’re doing it and even worse that they’re broadcasting it when they’ve given themselves the title of “influencer” .

Had a quick look on her instagram couldnt see where the story was. Maybe she has taken it down, or could be that Im not that great with instagram..

You could consider contacting the product owners who she advertises on her page, let them know you'd be reconsidering purchasing their products.

Might soften her cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,908 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yeah it seems to be a red herring. Vast majority of ferry traffic are trucks keeping our grocery stores stocked up.

The mob rule out there is getting out of hand.

well if You've been in and out twice already today, you may not be getting the message yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Acosta

Drumpot wrote: »
    In all seriousness, I’ve heard some terrible stories over the years about upper management In HSE, some reliable, some less reliable but believable, including during this crisis.

I’m trying to take a “get behind them approach” unless verifiable proof suggests otherwise. Do I believe everything they say ? No, I don’t, but I don’t see what choice we have right now.

It’s a shame that when people think of HSE, the hard working frontline staff (and genuinely good workers/managers within it) are tarnished with the same brush as those within the system who cause all sorts of problems, make terrible decisions at the expense of everybody and who bare no responsibility for anything.

Yeah, I also want to trust that the people in charge are doing what's best for the country. But there's nothing wrong with questioning things and being objectionable. Look at the state of the UK media especially. They're still in election and Brexit mode while the place is burning down around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ireland/leinster/dublin/dublin-o-connell-street.html

must have all gone home !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Northern Ireland records 10 further deaths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I love how people don’t get it . All you need is one car with someone infected to then keep this thing going. They’ll be out and about buying supplies. You go back to square one with an imported case if no lock down.

Takes on average 4 weeks to run its course in a house hold. 2 weeks for inital infection and 2 weeks for subsequent assuming everyone is isolating.

I really think this is going to flare back up as soon as restrictions lifted. Logically the only way to stop it is if everyone and I mean everyone stays at home for 4 weeks China style.

If different countries take a different approach this will be ineffective.

There is no other way out other than letting it run it’s course through the population.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement