Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sure but there's annoyance and a form of psychosis that has afflicted some. I chink people are largely observing this.

Guess it depends where you're located. Selfish behaviour appears to be more prevalant where I'm based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is no restriction on people coming through ports and airports, nor will there be. 14 days self-isolation applies.

you mean self quareenteen. self isolation is a step up re HSE.
    I hope that is regularily announced on the tannoy at 5minute intervals! on their tickets and the gardai remind them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

What's up with Pakistan? Huge surge of 2000 new cases today. Only 1 new death for 66 total. If they're surging in new cases, their deaths are going to be very high in the next week or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭spookwoman

ECDC numbers are collected in the morning time each day. Our released ones are from 1pm to 1pm so theres always going to be a difference in numbers.

Soon see what comes out today.

Oh and the German tests they've previously said would be 2-3 weeks old so most people would have already recovered and if not be in hosptial. So again its ICU and hosptial numbers to watch and has been for a while now

15 carry over from 515 and the 427 from germany and whatever then from irish labs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ger Roe wrote: »
    No one needs a test more than anyone else... it doesn't cure anyone. It is however vital in tracking the disease as it triggers the contact tracing process. If you can't breathe either through corona or some other condition, you will be treated and having a test will not influence how.

It is repeated at the press conferences every .... single... night - tests are not done for the individual patient, they are done for the public health reasons - to stop it spreading to everyone else, by starting the contract tracing process.

How can they start the contact tracing process if people are waiting weeks for their results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,474 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Glenomra wrote:
    544 new cases only in Sweden, two times our population, during the last day. An exemplar in how to manage affairs without imposing a draconian lockdown like we did.
    Strange that you left out the 77 deaths, bit I suppose that hurts your purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

This one and the close-down-the-ports one are like a bad penny, or whack-a-mole or something.

Long story short, it probably isn't happening. More research needed. MSM making a panic at this point is not helpful.

Likeliest explanations are testing error (false positive on first diagnosis, or on second, or a false negative when they were recovering), atypical patient group, or low frequency lapse into poorly-detectable chronic infection.

The more media-exciting explanations are unlikely and while not impossible, would be very surprising indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It's been said many times on this thread already. The story has been debunked repeatedly.

FYI- Conor McGregor doesn't need you to rescue him, and he will never notice you and he will never marry you.

The poster should've debunked it then rather than the boring thanks whoring post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Where can I watch Leo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Well, viral latency, where a virus enters a kind of dormancy but can be reactivated, is a recognised phenomenon in certain viruses. Herpes viruses being one of the best known who do this - coldsores keep recurring for example. HIV does something similar but in a different way. Respiratory Syncitial Virus and Cytomegaloviris can do it too. I've never heard of it in relation to a coronavirus but I suppose it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

nice work from met eireann, focusing on showers this weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

theballz wrote: »
    I have had symptoms now for over a week. I was reluctant to speak to my GP as I didn’t want to put others out who may need a test more than me (I am 30 years old,) however, despite resting, isolating and doing as instructed my symptoms got dramatically worse.

I got the email today with confirmation of time, date and location of test.

Little nervous about, has anyone had it done and if so what should I expect? Do I need to bring anything with me?

Thank you

Bring your nose, your throat, and confirmation of appointment.
    Seriously, that's all you need.

They will tell you exactly what to do when you get there.
    They have a swab - think giant q-tip - they'll give you a face mask, ask you to blow your nose, swab the back of your throat (bit gag inducing), then up a nostril (not pleasant) and that's it for your part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Downlinz wrote: »
    Lots of possibilities I suppose. The virus could have mutated into multiple strains and those people may have been infected by different strains, it could also have HIV like properties where the virus can only be held back by the body rather than destroyed which would be a real grim scenario for humanity.

Hopefully it's just botched testing where those patients turned up with a flu or other condition the first time and were incorrectly diagnosed.

I was nearly mocked here a few weeks ago by saying the borders should be shut to stop this virus coming in or to slow it.

I wrote that, we are told this is going to cause a flu and and I questioned what if its not a flu and my mind was connecting it with hiv and seroconversion.

I was pretty much told to shut up... Bat aids... Etc

Hopefully it won't be like a hiv infection and it's potched testing that's causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

How can they start the contact tracing process if people are waiting weeks for their results?

That's a problem alright, but another one. First one is that people who need to be tested should have no hesitation in making contact - you don't know how screwed up a system is, if you don't know how far behind you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

eagle eye wrote: »
    Strange that you left out the 77 deaths, bit I suppose that hurts your purpose.

He also left out the testing completed which is the same as Ireland for twice the population...Sweden I reckon will be battered soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I must be missing something. There are 4 images in that article. This 1 of only 2 showing vehicles.

No matter how hard I try I cannot read the reg on the campervan, the white car behind the blue Irish reg car, or the car with the roofbox behind the UK reg Audi.

I said there were two British registered vechicles in that article, one of them in the picture you posted (the Audi). The other one is in the other picture in the article (the Ford with the roofbox behind the Audi)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

The poster should've debunked it then rather than the boring thanks whoring post.

Well now that's just a rule you made up, silly.

An ad hominem is one way to debunk something. Others already tackled the substance of the argument. I felt it was worthwhile pointing out that the guy has no expertise in the relevant subject and probably isn't the clearest thinker.

You disagree. What can I say to that? I suppose... I don't care? Yes that's it. I don't care.

LC postponed to July or August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

igCorcaigh wrote: »

You know this how.....?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Teachers expected to come in over the summer. I wonder how much of a bonus they will expect :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

You know this how.....?

Rte just said

Obviously heard from sources

Going to review in July

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

You know this how.....?

It was just announced on RTE news.

You know this how.....?

Sorry, RTE news app

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You know this how.....?

On RTE now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

You know this how.....?

Announced by DOE on rte one now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Strazdas wrote: »
    Those draconian restrictions took place in a single city (Wuhan). Everyone else in China outside Hubei province was free to go about their daily business.

The 'lockdown now' people seem to be under the impression the whole of China was placed under quarantine / martial law. In the Irish context, it would have been like if Waterford city had been placed under lockdown but nowhere else.

The whole of China was placed in Lock down, it was not only one province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Junior Cert cancelled and Leaving delayed till late July - August. CAO etc and school re-openings will be delayed after summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement